Why have the German automakers shown so little interest in the American pickup market?

Why have the German automakers shown so little interest in the American pickup market?

Pickups were 16% of the entire USD market last year, 3 million sold.

The Japanese make a nice profit here so why don't the Germans even try?

Attached: nvzisdi4oowl0saukkhg.jpg (800x450, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

focus2move.com/world-best-selling-car/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because they'll probably be inferior

I can guarantee Germs do not think that.

because why would they want to make a vehicle that will basically only be sold in the US whereas they can build all the shit they've been building to sell globally

100% this.

People that buy German cars don't do physical labor.

Neither do pickup truck buyers in America

B
T
F
O

Because to build a pick up it would also need to be reliable, which the Germans can't do.

Doesn't seem to stop GM and Dodge

better than your nippon

At being recreational blacktop luxury caravan tugs? You're right. That's about it though.

This is wrong. The AMG gwagens are basically produced solely for the California market.

And your concept of it being"only sold in America" hasn't stopped the f150 from being the best selling vehicle on the planet.

REKT

Attached: UnselfishDemandingChipmunk.webm (250x202, 265K)

>the f150
>best selling vehicle on the planet
factually incorrect. Ford tried to list the "F-Truck" as a model run, but the less retarded amongst us would know that'd be the equivalent of Toyota referring to their "sedan" as a single model.
>focus2move.com/world-best-selling-car/

nigga VW already makes the amarok. I see alot of them here in sweden

Chicken tax

But you won't see them in the US because they're not masculine enough.

Nah to me the Amarok looks pretty baller, it looks angry. If i were in the market for a new pickup i would seriously consider it. But then again i like VWs designs of late, even if they are pigfat a n g r y designs.

Mercedes also makes pickups iirc. And wasn't BMW gonna make one? Think i saw it on Veeky Forums a while back

Germans already build cars in the us for the us so clearly you don't understand what that means.

Not entirely true. Ford has other pickups besides the f-series

The Ranger... and that's it. Point still stands.

The trucks would have to be built in the US, which means new plants or repurposing old ones who h would cost hundreds of millions

Toyota and Nissan already had truck plants in the US for decades and the Honda Ridgeline is a modified Pilot so they can get away with modifying a Pilot assembly line

>The trucks would have to be built somewhere which means new plants or repurposing old ones who h would cost hundreds of millions

You dumb nigger, if the trucks aren't built in the US they're subject to a 25% tax which makes them uncompetitive in the US market

Best guess would be that it's a sort of gentleman's agreement. For their own preservation off course.

They know that if they'll build g-wagon-level pickups they'll get big market share and big numbers quick enough.
They also know that that's the point where the US government says 'that's enough' and they'll set huge import tax on cars.
This would not only hurt their truck sales, but probably their luxury car sales far more.
The americans are a proud bunch. Taking over their pride and joy jeopardizes the ongoing milk-cow that is luxury vehicles.

The cost of retooling a plant in the US (or more likely Mexico) is the same as in Germany or the Far East.
So this...
>The trucks would have to be built in the US, which means new plants or repurposing old ones who h would cost hundreds of millions
...is irrelevant.

They already build trucks overseas dumbass, they just don't sell them in the US because they would be subject to a 25% import tariff like all other freight made light duty trucks since 1963

Automakers cannot into forethought. What sold last year will be sold until it sells no longer.

only hicks drive trucks in america. and trust me when i say those hicks arent going to buy a german pickup lmao

Toyota and Nissan build trucks overseas *and* sell US-made trucks.

What's your point?

They've been selling US made trucks for decades, they don't need to open up new factories for it. A company like VW will need to open up a new factory in the US to make Amaroks that avoid the chicken tax which would just end up costing them a lot for a slice of an incredibly competitive market

Why would they bother when they can just sell their trucks to the rest of the world and their luxury cars to America and make money with minimal risk both ways?
Please try to use your brain

The AMG might be for americans, but the G-Wagon model is pretty common in europe, mainly the diesel one

>Damage control

>They know that if they'll build g-wagon-level pickups they'll get big market share and big numbers quick enough.
The Lexus LX is a big luxury SUV but it still never surpasses the Escalade in sales nor does the Land Cruiser surpass the Surburban/Expedition. how do you expect germans to jeopardize truck sales if american body-on-frame SUV sales can't even be overtaken by what is essentially the best rival SUV maker on sale here?

Attached: 1520838863449.jpg (640x640, 35K)

because american truck industry is protected by the egg tax

Oh so they've been making the exact same truck for decades?
If there was a market for German pickup trucks in the US they would build trucks in the US.
In the 90's they saw that the US was the largest market for SUVs so they built the ML and X5 in the US

The Amarok is only 8 years old and is VWs first real truck, they were starting from scratch.

If they had wanted to build in North America they could have, but they chose Argentina instead.

>he thinks car manufacturers open a new plant every time they make a new model

Wasn't the x5 built in an old ford plant?

>japs can't overtake US SUV's.
>germans thus are not able to overtake US Trucks.
The logic is flawless.
For a retard.
That's dead.

Chicken tax

>Mercedes makes pick-ups
You mean Mercedes rebadges Nissans, right?

>rebadged Nissans

Attached: Arnold+Schwarzenegger+Arnold+Schwarzenegger+RkMNdx5guhnl.jpg (594x390, 73K)

that's not a pickup that's an agricutural vehicle

Sorry I forgot that in America pickups aren't actually used to do any work

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

>t. assmad vapelord soyboy riding around in a shitty e30

>triggered

Attached: 1484450285208.gif (500x274, 1.93M)

Nice projecting fagboy

Found the truck cuck

>not overcompensating=fagboy
I am laffing Veeky Forums

Attached: 1514030479678.gif (267x200, 747K)

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

REKT

Attached: 40E23265-0525-4E19-9AAD-9D0BEAD5FADC.gif (310x280, 1.95M)

Fuck off kmart kowboy

Attached: 549CD6BD-1CCB-4B8B-B7CD-96A5033F8BD2.jpg (636x440, 39K)

Noice

Attached: douchebaguette.jpg (2448x3264, 1.19M)

>literally can't stop sperging out at the mere mention of a pickup

Attached: 1518798867444.png (477x477, 597K)

>gets called out
>"'s-sperge harder!"

Attached: 1493954049525.gif (278x248, 8K)

>He's still sperging

Attached: 1518742326328.gif (480x270, 1.58M)

>implying germans don't have a rightful inferiority complex towards americans

>domestic pickup truck owners are literally seething

>Jap SUVs do not outsell american SUVs despite being the best in the world but for some reason billy bob who's always bought suburbans and continues to buy suburbans would start buying german trucks over his silverado which is a suburban with a bed thus "jeopardizing" US trucks
This is the logic that's retarded.

who wants unreliable pickups

Do you see where went apples and oranges?
Hint: it's fucking everywhere.

i'm guessing you haven't been in a city lately. there are pickup trucks everywhere here in seattle. and i would guess being one of the bluest cities on the west coast there are a limited number of hicks here.

savage

VW had pickups here in the US, guess they didn't sell enough of them since they are not sold here anymore.

They stopped selling them because they got taxed out of the market

So what you are saying is despite the same people who buy silverados who also buy suburbans not choosing jap alternatives in mass they are going to choose German alternatives which won't even have the indestructible reliability japs can sell themselves on and being a truck and not an SUV will make a big difference even though they will be targeting the same exact buyers? this is what i don't get.

*laughs in contractor, construction worker, lawn maintenance, farmer...*

Contractors worth their salt use work vans
Construction workers are all about dick waving and feel they need a $60k truck to carry around a toolbox
Lawn maintenance workers also use vans. Shit some of them use Grand Caravans because of how cheap they are and tow their mowers
Farmers use actual farm equipment and not those half ton chrome laden monstrosities

>contractors
>too busy loading up and transporting needlessly limited 8' lengths of drywall instead of contracting
Glad I don't fix plasterboard in the US. I'd be flushing more butt-joints than I would be fixing sheet.

>Farmers use actual farm equipment and not those half ton chrome laden monstrosities
The sound of a thousand "but mah fullsize" halfton owners larping tears hitting the ground

Because nothing is better than a good ol' Golf

The real reason is that the EU make it so that most American trucks weigh too much and require a light lorry license so almost no one can drive these without taking more driving ed. (Search up C1 license) Which most often requires a lot of time and money. EU has basically a soft ban on American trucks

Chicken tax. Europe taxes American poultry imports to protect their own farms, so in retaliation the U. S. Government placed a 25% import tax on any light trucks.
That 25% has been enough for Toyota, Nissan and Honda to make North America specific models instead.

>You will never own a hilux because of political dick waving

What are you even smoking?
C1 refers to any car/vehicle that is not used for people transportation, which a gross weight rating of atleast 3,500 kg (thats about 7,700 lbs) and up to 7,500 kg (thats about 16,500 lbs). You are also licensed to use a trailer with a capacity of up to 750 kg, or 1,650 lbs.

The reason as to why the american pick up trucks dont sell here its simply because they are too large. All the pick-ups technically require an C1 license.
We have the Ford Ranger here and that is about the maximum size a pick up truck will fit in Europe and be able to do work aswell.
I see a few Dodge Rams in my city and they are just ridiculous. Not to mention there used to be a Dodge Ram SRT10 but the guy sold it because fuel consumption and because of its massive size.

No one would buy them.

Attached: US-Pickup-Truck-Sales-Jan-July.gif (700x400, 22K)

Half of whom would be better off with a van.

>be American
>buy a truck
>turn it into a fucked up van

Attached: thumbnailimage.img.jpg (2235x1308, 1.59M)

Fuck me, that thing looks worse than some crashed cars.

Attached: AMERICAN PANEL FITMENT.png (706x479, 464K)

I don't know about you fags but I see lots of farmers that drive 1/2 tons

To get any actual profit they would have to manufacture trucks that are "US sized", with V6, V8 and bigger options, luxury equipment and so on. This, coupled with
>unfamiliar market
>US pickup truck buyers unlikely to want foreign trucks (I know that the Tacoma, Titan, Frontier and Tundra are japanese in name, but they are US-produced & designed)
>the trucks wouldn't sell outside of North America

Selling the trucks we usually have here in Europe (Isuzu D-Max, Toyota Hilux, Nissan Navara, Mitsubishi L200, VW Amarok) wouldn't work well as they're generally comparatively small to the US trucks, less luxurious, small diesel engines

I know that a few of the models I mentioned are sold in "US versions", but those have different engines, are usually produced in the US, are better equipped and also... they don't sell as well as the F150's and Silverados

Attached: EspenB_6768190.jpg (1080x674, 86K)