Have no naval experience

>have no naval experience
>defeat japanese fleet outnumbering you
>proceed to win every battle until you die
>the one you died win was won by your side too

why was Yi Sun-shin so based?

Also LMAO at weebs it turns out trillion times folded katanas do fuck all if you're on the sea I'm glad he killed those fucking hiroshimas.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Modernization-Nineteenth-Cambridge-Literature-Institutions/dp/0521531268
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

His mother was Japanese.

But the Japanese fucking curb-stomped the Koreans on the mainland.

desu once he destroyed the illusion of japanese naval hegemony, the main invasion force had no chance of continuing a war properly.

"Dude just shoot them lmao" was literally his whole strategy. Korean panokseons always outgunned Japanese warships (in terms of number of guns they were similar to contemporary Spanish Galleons), the other Korean commanders just let the Japanese get close enough to board rome-style.

that's Koxinga.

Wow that did so fucking much considering Koreans won that war in the end.

>Koreans need to suck China's dick some more to gain their protection
>Even then it results in stalemate
>Withdrawal of Japanese troops following a change in government
>nearly 1 million casualties on the Korean side
>Korean "victory"
Yeah right.

>muh turtle ships

T. Average Korean as he loses all his rights to his nanny state and watches American GIs take the few Koreans who are actually naturally attractive

>nearly 1 million casualities

I don't think we are even talking about the same war. Kill yourself.

>As for Korea, which withstood the most damage out of the three,[5] this conflict was more devastating than any otherevent in its history (even the Korean War).[6] Reduction of arable land to sixty-six percent of the prewar total [4]greatly hurt Korea's mainly agricultural economy;[182] famine, disease, and rebellions ran rampant in Korea.[5]Significant losses of historical archives, cultural and scientific artifacts (such as the water clock Ja-gyuk-roo[184] ),and skilled artisans marked the nadir of Korean science in its decline.[185]The total military and civilian casualty as estimated by the late 19th century historian, Geo H. Jones, is 1 million
- Japanese invasions of Korea (1592–1598)
Go eat a dog

To be honest Jap ships were just really shit for fighting the Koreans.

They literally just shot the Japanese ships to shit at a distance and called it a day.

>why was Yi Sun-shin so based?
His opponents were super-inept in terms of Naval Combat.

Syphilitic son of a bisexual Chinese guy and a Japanese mother. Also spoke Portuguese.

Glorious but messed up bastard.

Portuguese was the trade tongue of the East Asians with anyone who was from Western Europe. Though the Chinese can into Spanish and Latin due to the Spanish Presence in the Philippines & Jesuits.

Ming and Qing should've learned more from the Jesuits when they were in China, might have saved them from the massive fuck up called Mao

You're ignoring various social contexts which led to the stagnation of China, the formation and collapse of the Qing, and the eventual rise of the communist party. I doubt the Jesuits could have done anything better.

Mao actually took China out of the Century of Humiliation. Say what you want about the dude, he made China Great Again.

I think Deng should be given credit for that.
Besides the whole century of humiliation is over hyped commie propaganda instead of a realistic examination of Late Qing.

I was talking about the Chinese actually learning more about the world from them rather than assuming they were just really smart barbarians.

Whilst Deng certainly paved the way for amazing growth, Mao's industrialising of a state that large with that many people is simply astounding. He also doubled the life expectancy, literacy rates and maintained GDP growth rates of 5-6%.

Also no academic would agree with you on your assessment of the Century of Humiliation. It's something that spurred off many revolts (May 4th Movement for instance) and still lingers in the Chinese psyche til today.

>Ming and Qing should've learned more from the Jesuits when they were in China
They did, the Ming copied Portugese cannons and muskets.

Yes and some of them thought the English had no knees and that France was a Buddhist country.

My point being that their idea of what happend outside of (East) Asia and that the idea of sending ambassadors to other countries was quite simply alien to them.

There are a few who have taken a new look at the period between the second opium war and the sino-japanese war who found that China was actually doing quite well. Not modernizing as fast as Japan but at the start of the Sino-Japanese war most Western people had their bets on China.

>There are a few who have taken a new look

Source please.

Two studies on their new Arsenals and factories. I don't have the book in which they are cited at hand.

The fact that Chinese ships at the start of the Sino-Japanese war were good is mentioned in several first hand accounts.

It was something along the lines of this: amazon.com/Modernization-Nineteenth-Cambridge-Literature-Institutions/dp/0521531268