This is NOT a functional wing

Attached: IMG_20180320_123335095.jpg (3264x2448, 1.95M)

ok thanks for the heads up

>Uber

This is NOT a functional job

>says the Veeky Forums armchair aerodynamicist.

Attached: 1506827051368s.jpg (70x125, 2K)

This is not a functioning engine.

Attached: focus-rs-engine-1[1].jpg (1000x667, 176K)

On WRC cars that go sideways, like, always, they are pretty functional, because they create more drag while sliding so the rear is more stable. That thing CAN be functional, but by the looks of it, it is not, but whatever, if he likes it, he likes it.

it is a functional wing question is how optimal

you dont just take a wrc wing and slap it on some car and expect it to work.
Aerodynamics are part of a system that works with the car as a whole, slapping random wings and canards on a car and expecting it to work is like putting a new faceplate on a watch and expecting to travel through time

Ah the running atheist thinking that any wing is an improvement. This shit is creating more drag than anything and it's not fucking necessary.

If it's creating drag in a downward manner, then it's creating downforce. Downforce is LITERALLY drag.
>A "wing" on a car has the sole purpose of creating drag for the improvement of grip.
>A "spoiler" on a car is a drag reducing device by helping the flow to rejoin at the rear for the car.

My 1985 Toyota MR2 has a spoiler that actually reduces drag and increases stability at high speeds.
My 2003 Subaru WRX STI has a wing that generates downforce at speed. Granted it's a small amount of downforve and the wing is MAINLY for looks, it's still functional.

You're probably right, especially for street use. But, it's lineage from when the WRX was Group A/N homologated and they deemed it necessary to have one for that. It's too iconic to drop.

>If it's creating drag in a downward manner,
that's not how aerodynamics works. not even car aerodynamics, just aerodynamics in general

>Downforce is LITERALLY drag.
no it's not, otherwise f1 cars would use trailing parachutes and be box-shaped instead of having big honking wings

Well, it's a job for NON functioning individuals

Drag does not equal lift (inverse lift in this case).

>Downforce is LITERALLY drag.

No it "literally" isn't. Downforce is caused by the low pressure, constricted, fast moving air on the underside of the aerofoil in accordance with Bernoulli's law.

Pic related. Read more knowledgelet

Attached: aerofoil.gif (500x275, 3K)

I'm an Aerospace Engineering major in my third year and I was trying to write a post for idiots.
All aerodynamic elements create both lift and drag. If they didn't, they wouldn't be aerodynamic elements.
If you don't know, drag operates on the x-axis opposite of the direction of travel. Positive lift operates in the positive z-direction and negative lift aka downforce is in the negative z-direction.
All lift/downforce is directly related to drag. You can't "get" more downforce without also "getting" more drag.

A wing creates drag and negative lift with the intent to create down force that in turn creates more grip that allows for higher cornering speed. This is because the speed limiting factor in most corners is grip and not aerodynamic drag.
A spoiler helps to reduce the overall drag of the vehicle by helping the different aerodynamic flows at the rear of the car rejoin in a quicker manner which means a reduced pocket of low pressure behind that vehicle that was inducing drag. Often times a spoiler is used to also smoothen the flow of air out as to increase high speed stability.

>sour grapes: the post

kek, fucking poorfags

Attached: 1486866107046.jpg (646x960, 49K)

Yes it is functional. The wing has to be elevated to reach the "clean" air that isn't affected by the roof line.

Attached: 1969-dodge-charger-daytona-rear-wing.jpg (877x573, 296K)

And I'm a mechanical engineer on my master's year bud; I've done my fair share of CFD, hydraulic fluid dynamics and aero and I'm certain that lift is not LITERALLY drag. It may be a by-product of producing lift, but lift does not equal drag.

Attached: 27972823_492217494505709_28487809029999196_n.jpg (882x731, 55K)

You don’t have to have any fucking degree to know that lift and drag have two COMPLETELY different formulas to them, jesus christ

Then you of all people should know I was oversimplifying.