I'm looking at new cars and my local subaru dealer offers a lifetime powertrain warranty

I'm looking at new cars and my local subaru dealer offers a lifetime powertrain warranty

Why shouldn't I get a 5th gen Impreza?

Attached: 1024px-2017_Subaru_Impreza_(GK7)_2.0i-L_sedan_(2018-02-22)_01.jpg (1024x546, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.ca/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/2017/07/07/facing-complaints-subaru-offers-extended-warranties-on-1-5-million-vehicles/amp/
torquenews.com/1084/subaru-settles-oil-consumption-lawsuit
impreza5.com/#/topics/10642
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the powertrain wont fail but the headgaskets, which will cost you a fortune on a modern car at a subaru dealership service point. seems like a huge lure to fuck you in the ass

don't do it user

Attached: bmfofz.png (1057x883, 247K)

There's a civic waiting to be bought by you out there.

Attached: civic-rally-06.jpg (1046x718, 160K)

powertrain means transmission and engine retard

do it op they're great cars if you take care of them.
reliable and good in the snow

>local subaru dealer offers a lifetime powertrain warranty
Thats literally every fucking car from any maker, the power train will never fucking fail.

>headgaskets
its not 2006 you fucking retard, its a commuter econobox not some boy racer shit car.

It doesn't everything about the engine just the crank and drive shaft, won't cover the clutch or anything.

because a civic for 3k is 90% as good.

>why shouldn’t I get one
I dunno I like mine so far

Attached: 4D9AFE51-A1FB-444F-9A01-8CCB140D6432.jpg (3264x2448, 2.14M)

Its a great commuter car with AWD. Something you really can't find in Sedans these days. Its built with comfort and economy in mind.

Headgaskets haven't been an issue since 2004, and only on NA EJ25s. The FB series engines' crux is oil consumption.

Better do all service with the dealership or keep a perfect record of all maintenance and genuine replacement parts

unless you absolutely need awd which you probably don't you should get something else

Why

he won't say because hes a meme lord.

because you can get better fuel economy and build quality in the equivalent honda or mazda models

I digged deeper into the warranty program, and it's through some garbage independent company (century warranty) and not run through the dealer themselves, so that's a bit sketchy.

How are the BN Mazda 3's?

Attached: USC80MAC171A121001.jpg (788x525, 84K)

>I digged deeper into the warranty program, and it's through some garbage independent company (century warranty) and not run through the dealer themselves, so that's a bit sketchy.
Its not sketchy, thats how all manufacturers do it.

They sell you a warranty with your car, it usually includes 3-5 years of bumper to bumper coverage then some 10 year 100k mile power train warranty as a gimmick to make you think you get this super long warranty when really the power train warranty covers nothing that will actually need replacing.

For economy cars its literally your preference as they'll all exhibit the big 3 main features, good fuel economy, comfy suspensions and simple and comfy interiors. Its up to your preference to determine which you like.

I have 0 complaints about the build quality of mine. Fuel economy in the pre-2017 Impreza models was comparably worse, but the 2017-current models are on par with comparable cars in its class. On a single tank I can expect 375 miles to the fuel light, and average low 30 mpg.

if you don't mind the FWD, they are far superior daily drivers

Just get a civic for 3k faggot. Or buy something actually cool or interesting with your 20k.

Nobody commented on your first 3k civic suggestion because it was a bad idea, take a hint

Gaskets haven't been an issue in 13 years.

It's a better idea than spending 20k on a new shitbox.

I recently looked at buying one. I really like Imprezas but decided against it. Here is why:
1. Slow for the class. My 8 year old Fit is faster. The Impreza has an aggressive throttle tip in that can trick you on test drives too.

2. Lower ground clearance negates many of the benefits of AWD. They used to be about an inch higher. This means deep snow will stop you and trails can mess you up.

3. Oil consumption is still a thing and the dealer network is shitty about it. Every Subaru service department I have had the misfortune of dealing with is crooked or incompetent. That's where big warranties and "free" oil changes kill you.

4. The 5 speed manual on it is so bad that Car and Driver tells people to buy the CVT.

5. You need the CVT to get eyesight and the older Subaru CVTs are failing. If guess the 100K CVT fluid change interval doesn't help.

Honestly, I like them though and still might buy one. It isn't a logical choice though. I just like the styling, interior layout, and AWD hatches. I wish it still came with the 2.5L or even better the 1.5L turbo.

Honestly, fuck their dealer network service departments though. I've had friends leave with underfilled transmission fluid, underfilled coolant, overfilled oil, charges for oil greater than the engine capacity, get calls for broken parts that aren't broken during warranty work, ect... This is all from different dealerships.

Their engines are easy to work on outside of spark plugs so never let a dealership near it if you can avoid it.

A lot of people have never driven in conditions where AWD would be of use and thus discount it across the board. I live in Northern Onterrible and regularly drive poorly or unplowed roads. I also drive no maintenance dirt roads. I assure you, AWD is of huge benefit for some people.

>Slow for the class
Dude it's a fucking commuter no one buys these cars for performance

There is a level of acceleration that is useful for commuters, the Impreza doesn't have it anymore. Being able to pass a transport truck is a useful trait for a car.

Go for a low trim wrx, I test drove an impreza and it was slow as fuck, honestly for a rural commuter, the awd and torque of the wrx is useful.

there is a ford dealer in my area that offers a similar lifetime powertrain warranty on all new and almost all their used cars they sell

however the fine print says you must have all service done by their mechanics on their schedule
everything from oil changes to state inspections must be done at the dealership or it voids the "lifetime vehicle coverage"

The spark plugs aren't even that hard, even on a DOHC.
>remove airbox
>remove battery
>remove washer fluid tank
>instant access
ezpz

Attached: IMG_20170927_130745.jpg (4048x3036, 3.44M)

If you can come to terms with it having a CVT, then you should be fine. Also correct me if I'm wrong; but does the 2.0 have DOHC?

Yeah except the WRX is like $18,000 more than the base Impreza.

>slow for its class
Yeah I’ll concede the acceleration is slower but the handling makes up for it. Nobody buys an Impreza to go supersonic though.
>5-speed manual is bad
Yeah I’ve heard that too. That was a bit of a deciding factor, and I got mine with the CVT. You lose some of the driving experience but if I wanted a fun sporty manual I’d have gone with one of their sportier cars. If you’re gonna buy an econobox the auto is the better choice for every reason apart from the manual “experience.”

They did a complete redesign of the car in 2017 and I’ve gotten to drive my buddy’s manual 2006/7 Impreza sedan for a bit and the difference is night and day. Looking at the fuel economy differences between the older and newer models it’s clear some things have been adjusted so we’ll have to see about the oil consumption and engine health changes over time. With this car the big difference is that you sacrifice acceleration for AWD without an appreciable fuel burn difference. That and the handling is quite nice for an economy car, and body roll is noticeably reduced. I think it’s a great car if you don’t plan on drag racing the thing

Yes. The 2.0 sports the Subaru FB20 engine

>Burns oil like a 2 stroke
If you're into topping up oil every second drive, go for it...

My shitbox Scooby with 192k on it burns oil, but not that bad. Like maybe once a month I have to top off.

The 1.5 turbo and the 2.5 only add about 20hp, probably more when they get updated with direct injection later this year. I'm not looking for a mini WRX hatch. Most other hatches come with an engine option in the 180bhp range.

It's a great handling car but that power loss is noticable. It is also slower then the smaller engine variants due to the increased weight. There is no excuse when it used to come with the 2.5L engine.

I decided to put off buying for a while. I really want AWD daily driver for safety reasons but the current Impreza doesn't cut it for me and I want to avoid crossovers.

It's a real shame because I'd buy a Levorg in a heartbeat if it was available here, CVT or no. Same with a WRX hatch if I could find a non shat on one.

Well the Impreza has the naturally aspirated 2.0L 152 bhp FB20, so power-wise it is pretty darn close to cars in its class. If you really wanted a good daily driver you wouldn’t be concerned with top speeds, and performance on unimproved roads with the AWD and stock suspension is far better than similar cars. Acceleration is the only aspect that suffers, but a 152 hp flat four with a CVT isn’t designed to get off the line quick, especially so with AWD.

I’m not a Subaru salesman but for the constraints you’ve provided it fits the bill quite well. What are you really looking for in your car?

just import levorg then?

What you just said was very stupid. I'm not going to tell you why. This is a learning experience for you.

sorry user fell asleep during that post. sweet toyota. that bad boy got a cvt?

Attached: C2DFA797-6301-438A-8753-D6EC90538DA9.jpg (800x468, 120K)

Sweet ride dude say hi to your boyfriend for me

>Do you rotate your tires religiously? >Can you afford to replace all tires if one gets a unpatchable flat?

>Veeky Forumstists actually caring about meme warranties
I can't believe my eyes

Attached: 1382117764033.jpg (406x406, 18K)

>being this buttmad i made fun of your slowbaru thats literally slower than a 1.8 na
lol it was just the first pic i found with sleepy headlights

Attached: FB837553-AF37-442C-9989-D9CE1AB088B1.jpg (750x615, 84K)

the new mazda3 is nice, bose sound good handling and 6 speed. you'll be more comfortable than any civic that isnt a new type r

Pretty fucking slow and terrible understeer is why not. Iffy mechanicals, too

[citation needed]

While not the current Impreza such is only a year old:
google.ca/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/2017/07/07/facing-complaints-subaru-offers-extended-warranties-on-1-5-million-vehicles/amp/

torquenews.com/1084/subaru-settles-oil-consumption-lawsuit

If you check the owners forums, the are already oil and CVT issues with this generation.

Both links you provided are for previous generations of several Subaru models.
>extended warranties up to 2015 models
>oil consumption class action lawsuit filed in 2014

Yeah. The one year old model hasn't pissed off enough people to force them to settle class action lawsuits yet.

>Yet

3 model years is pretty recent. It isn't hard to read a forum to find out the Impreza 5s have oil problems. Things like this:
impreza5.com/#/topics/10642

Look, Subaru's have benefits but they have faults.
>CVT failures
>Oil consumption
>Easy chip paint

The headgaskets are in the past, so I won't bother with that one.

If you want a Subaru be prepared to keep extra oil in your trunk for every other fill-up, consider a clear bra, and avoid the CVTs if you can.

>yet
Quit speculating.

>3 model years is pretty recent
They redesigned the car for the 2017 model and revised the engine. You can’t say it’s close enough because they aren’t the same anymore. 80% of the engine parts are different.

The guy in your link was talking about black smoke coming from the exhaust. Burning oil produces blue-white smoke, so I’m hesitant to agree it was just the oil. I agree with the guy, I don’t trust the stealership but this doesn’t sound like just an oil consumption problem, perhaps something more serious.

You seem like you’re just parroting the negative opinions of others. Do you own a Subaru?

Extended warranty isn't a bad deal if you get a fiat or something

> Citation required
>Stop parroting

Will you make up your damn mind!

Since you are curious I do not currently own a Subaru but have owned an Outback and a Forester in the past. One consumed oil and the other did not. I bought them knowing there was a chance of this because they are Subarus.

Subaru still makes solid cars, just don't delude yourself into thinking they are mechanically perfect. I suspect the biggest problem for the Impreza5s will be the gummed up intake ports from the direct injection engine. An Impreza buyer is not a WRX buyer so I doubt they are going to do extra preventative maintenance. And yes, no one has that issue yet, but that build up takes years and the 2015 WRX engines are starting to develop build up.

When I say [citation required] I mean give me a credible citation for the “iffy mechanicals” aside from some forum with visual evidence of unknown mechanical issues courtesy of his girlfriend’s report. I know the understeer is BS cause I own a 2018 Impreza. I’ll give you the acceleration isn’t great though.

Well again, the Impreza uses the NA FB20 engine (updated from prior generations too) and the WRX used the FA20 Turbo, so you can’t extrapolate and claim common issues between two different engines. All I’m saying is that it’s given a fair assessment rather than pointing to previous issues, some on completely different cars.