Stripped E-Type Torx Bolt Removal

I can't figure this out for the life of me.

I bought a car that need the transmission removed and the previous owner must have tried the same because all the bolts are stripped minus the one I managed to remove.

I am about the take a chisel to it for removal but wanted to ask if there is a better method.

I tried an e-bolt type extractor, no luck. Tried pounding them down to get more grip, can't because there is no room to really swing at them.

Tried pliers, channel locks, vise grips, torque wrench, torque gun, impact driver, nothing will move these fuckers.

The one I got wasn't a problem to remove with a 18 inch breaker bar and the E-Type driver, but the others won't accept it because they are so rounded.

Any help?

Attached: IMG_0024.jpg (4032x3024, 1.85M)

Picture of stripped bolts on the driveshaft side to the transmission output shaft.

Attached: IMG_0023.jpg (4032x3024, 2.25M)

>stripped external Torx head bolt
How the fuck did you manage that? The whole Torx specification is designed to not strip.

Bought it like this. Not my work.

Time to weld, or you could TRY to stick a socket on with jb weld and let it cure, then remove.

I suppose that is an option.

Might be easier to blowtorch them and see if it loosens no?

Yeah it’s worth a shot. Was there any threadlock on the bolt you got loose? If there was then the blowtorch will be necessary to cook the threadlock on the other bolts

Don't think any thread-lock was used, but I guess I'll try taking heat to it and see if that gets em loose.

I will replace these bolts with conventional hex heads, whoever strips bolts out are idiots and don't know how to use correct tools and procedures...

I think your options are:
1) cutting/grinding/drilling
2) welding
3) hammering under sized socket onto the bolt head

Bro just use vise grips.

4) Stripped bolt socket (pic related).

Attached: StrippedBoltSocket.jpg (320x320, 12K)

I have a set of those, and they are very good (if you have the right size) but they are expensive.

harbor freight sells a set for 25 bucks. I'm not a fan of the non-spiral design though, you'd need to use the 8mm one or smaller to get on to what was that e-torx bolt. Bought it when i was in the states last time (canuck) but i havent used them yet.
set comes with 8,10-14,16-17,19mm. weird sizes.

Attached: image_25021.jpg (978x978, 53K)

Both didn't work, I have both. I managed to heat it and then use a chisel to get it started and extract the bolts!

saw the heads off. Take ds out then use vice culos on studs left over. they will be loose probably once they've lost their clamping tension. Worst case you pop off the yoke and take it to a real man who can remove fasteners.

wrong size torx will strip it in a heartbeat.

If you have a grinder, either cut a slot into the head and get a massive flat bit into a socket, or grind down the sides to make it into a hex head.
I'm really not a fan of external torx since it makes it too easy to accidentally use too big of a socket and fuck it up good. Hex bolts will usually just slip if you have the next size up on it

Only do this as a last resort since if you fuck it up, you're out of options.

Get some extractors

Why do people suggest this?
Its like announcing that you don't know what you're talking about.
If it's rounded when using the right socket there's no way if fuck that a pair of vice grips are going to loosen the bolt.

>I can't clamp vice grips
>So neither can you

It's quite simple desu. A good pair of vice grips will bite into the bolt. If you're still unable to get it to bite, a file, or grinder, will allow you to grind two flat spots into the head of the bolt so you can easily grab onto something.

However, there's a chance you'll snap the head off if you remove to much material.

Vice grips and someone with a relatively strong pair of hands will go a long ways.
>Or a pair of cheater pipes

Weld a washer to it, then weld a bolt to the washer. remove the bolt with tool of choice.

completely untrue, stop posting.

pretend you had a 1/2" thick round steel rod. Do you think you'd be able to turn it with a wrench? Do you think you'd be able to turn it with vice grips?

That's why you're dense. Either that or your hand strength isn't enough to properly clamp them

>pretend you had a 1/2" thick round steel rod. Do you think you'd be able to turn it with a wrench?
if it had a bolt head on, like the guy said then yes you fucking retard

Just grind a slot and get as much leverage as possible