Reasons I shouldn't get a 240z Datsun? Kinda new to cars and needed an opinion on it

Reasons I shouldn't get a 240z Datsun? Kinda new to cars and needed an opinion on it.

Attached: 1971-Datsun-240Z-with-a-VR38DETT-V6-01.jpg (1080x1075, 237K)

It's jap scrap

>kinda new to cars
That's why you don't want one. If you were familiar with cars you'd know the long list of bullshit you'd have to deal with owning one of them.

Buy a honda or toyota made in the last twenty years and learn about vehicles with one that won't make you hate working on cars. Then you an start buying trashed 40 year old foreign sports cars and banging your head against walls trying to keep them running.

Attached: 1971-datsun-240z-front-interior.jpg (1500x938, 1.1M)

Just got my 280 back from getting some work done though they are pretty easy to wrench on really. They're pretty good for the first time restorers.

Attached: FB_IMG_1521525395165.jpg (1080x720, 49K)

can confirm
By no means a starter project, i got mine in pretty decent condition but it still took a shit ton of work. If you cant find one rust free then i sure hope you have a fat dumbass wallet or your a master fabricator. Prices have shot up, i would suggest getting a shitbox you can rip up and have no internal qualms about doing so later. Your wallet and your choice though.

Attached: 12795481_197752923924606_8524148532209264118_n.jpg (960x540, 65K)

Just to add the z you pictured is probably a $100k+ project, crazy bastard slapped a r35 gtr engine in it.

it's a beautiful car, but very high maintenance, only suitable for summer weekends
if you have a $3k civic that's in good condition then go for it, but don't expect it to be a good DD

they're easy and reliable, just over-priced

>buy a honda or a toyota made more than 20 years ago
fixed

Mine spun a rod bearing. Feels bad

Wrong, wrong, correct.

>mfw I'v seen this specific car in real life.

Sounds next level

Attached: 240.jpg (2592x1728, 1.53M)

V6 in an old Z

Attached: 1454936148199.jpg (640x360, 36K)

VR38DETT

I see the engine.

For I can only tell you, that he's right. 240Z is extremely unreliable, very lightweight (basically a coffin on wheels), unless you are wannabe collector/show-off, or looking for expensive project car, not to mention that prices of parts are getting skyscraper high. Avoid it at all costs, just like AE86s. Get a car from mid/late 90s at least.

>not getting an old vw beetle and doing an engine swap

if theyre so easy to wrench on why don't you do it yourself

>I'm kinda new to cars
>so I'm going to invest in one that's more than 40 years old

Attached: kaji03.jpg (239x250, 41K)

wow if i was a bitcoin millionaire i would want to do something crazy like that too

this.

Attached: 13966212291_47c7b68658_k.jpg (2048x1365, 859K)

Its probably OP. He doesn't know what a V6 is.

Attached: 1497496081946.png (300x289, 193K)

Autist get a cheap honda/Toyota and learn to take care of a car first

>240Z is extremely unreliable
This is BS, in terms of 40 to 50 year old cars a 240z is one of the more reliable ones you can have.

The shitty steel will rust is somebody spills salt within a mile. Unless you live in Arizona or some other desert, or get a car from there, or have it fully restored it will rust completely in half.

>tfw ywn own a beautifully restored 240Z
fuck this gay earth

Attached: mona lisa facehugger.jpg (740x1080, 228K)

>new to cars
>wants a Datsun 240Z
Not going to work out well

They're easy in that the engine bay gives you access to quite a bit.

As for me, I got mine from a rolling shell to actually running just in my garage using harbor freight tools and youtube. It ended up needing a head rebuild and valve job from sitting for about a decade and that's beyond my pay grade.

Gloriously expensive rust buckets that'll get you killed in any crash above 50. If you've got time, money and love a tragic love story, go ahead. I don't regret mine but my bank account sure does.

Hey man, if it makes you happy.

Attached: IMG_20180318_114959.jpg (4048x3036, 3.55M)

new to cars??.. did u just get out of a coma since u were 13??

>bro everyone is supposed to just get into cars when they were young

how much of a brainlet are you

OP here, I'm not completely retarded when it comes to cars. My dad was a mechanic for about 12 years and he has tought me some stuff back when I was younger till now. What I meant by "New to cars" refers to actually working on the by myself. Thanks for all the helpful responses btw!

What if you took one of these but replaced the engine and all the mechanics with one of a newer car? Would it theoretically be more reliable?

I really like how this car looks.

No OP but also car illiterate.

>What if you took one of these but replaced the engine and all the mechanics with one of a newer car?

Yeah good luck with wiring. thats a piece of cake right? lol.

So what you are saying is that it's possible.

sure if you either have serious money to pay for wiring or you know how to do it yourself.

What type of engine are we talking here. It's been done before but it doesn't exactly make the car reliable because people usually put highly modified performance engines into something like a datsun.

Almost everything is possible with enough time and money

>reasons why i shouldnt get a datsun 240z

>kinda new to cars

not sure if trolling or literally autist

Electric

Attached: images(2).jpg (270x187, 8K)

Gay