/ovg/ - pg8 save rave

Welcome to Auto Vidya General

Previous Thread: Our Wiki will answer every question you could possibly have!
>get-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce yourself!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Join the /ovg/ group on Steam!
>steamcommunity.com/groups/ovgonsteam

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

We're racing on the weekends. Check out our Google doc for more info!
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc

Attached: 1512591611052.jpg (1701x1177, 2.1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

racedepartment.com/downloads/watkins-glen-international.20204/
youtube.com/watch?v=ALxta1vF2ik
classicreload.com/street-rod-2-the-next-generation.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

1st for GT Sport

Daily reminder that there will never be another good arcade game, the 360/PS3 generation has ended.

Does anyone here even play it?
No one talks about it

4th for sliding in DMs.

Attached: 123321.webm (854x480, 2.85M)

Attached: M4 drift.jpg (1920x1080, 335K)

Attached: 1520129093384.png (1920x1080, 2.56M)

nth for burnt cornea's

Attached: AHHHH MY EYES.webm (1280x720, 2.7M)

Does SMS not know how light works?

James must have skipped that class

I stopped playing it and went back to GT5.

I would play it, but I'm too much of a poorfag

Attached: 1521635163575.png (857x796, 699K)

>someone liked the pic enough to save it
:3

>GT5
ayy

Attached: Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps_38.jpg (1920x1080, 222K)

Off and on. I've had good races on it at least.

mfw RR has emotes in error messages

noice

Attached: error :3.jpg (960x540, 39K)

It's fogging up like there is smoke coming into the cockpit, a real simulation of owning a Ford product, you don't get that kind of dedication elsewhere.

why is RR2 so based

Attached: 1521627544693.png (512x512, 323K)

Take a guess

Attached: ac505770-8f32-4e6f-bc5f-30064e99c97d.jpg (1920x1080, 340K)

So this is what it looks like when you compare all the well-known sim racing personalities/streamers using the SRS global leaderboards.

The numbers are a bit misleading so lets go through them.

Skill rating doesn't fluctuate rapidly like in iRacing so the more you race, the higher you'll naturally rise up the board. However, winning is still worth loads more than just shitting it up in 7th place. So you can only grind till about 175-200 skill points.

This puts myself and Ortner as the best raw drivers which is exactly correct. Ortner isn't an alien but he's still fast as fuck. So if you want to learn how to be a better driver, watch Georg Ortner's streams.

But of course not everyone races the same amount, so what you do next is look at incident points. 1 incident = 1 car-on-car collision or major wall/barrier hit. 1 SRS incident point = a 4x in iRacing.

A value of 1 or above means you crash into someone else on average once per race. The fact that 2's and 3's show up several times is not good. That's an *average* number. For it to be 2 or 3 means some of these guys have been in 4-5 wrecks during some races, and 2-3 wrecks during others.

So if you want to learn how to be a cleaner driver, watch Ortner, Michi Hoyer, or Billy Strange. Ignore the rest.

What does this mean? Sim racing has a problem similar to real world NASCAR, where their most popular driver (Dale Jr) isn't their most successful driver. In sim racing this fucks over the community because unlike fortnite or madden, where you can tune into a popular stream and generally learn how to be better at the game just by hanging out for 5-10 minutes and either mingling with the chat or watching the streamer play, sim racing features a perpetual cycle of shitty drivers trying to learn from other shitty drivers.

Attached: Sim Personalities Rank.jpg (655x545, 250K)

Name a better game

Attached: PCars2.jpg (460x215, 39K)

Literally who, who, who, who, who, who, who, who, who, who and who?

Is the cougar xr7 in the new forzas. I had it in 4 and it was great. Haven't played vidya in years.

rate
inb4 banned by t10 again

Attached: 2018-03-21_23-24-46.png (1057x582, 910K)

7/8
looks kinda rushed, you need to take your time for it to look better

The first one is the founder of /ovg/

is this how ovg works

Attached: 1521664493035.webm (1280x720, 2.83M)

>it's another "i'm faster therefore I'm more right about everything" argument episode

Kill yourself

this is how ovg works

Attached: 1517786989538.png (713x270, 47K)

>respected

>sim racing features a perpetual cycle of shitty drivers trying to learn from other shitty drivers.
Isn't literally everybody, including you a shit driver though?

Posting in a James thread

Attached: 1506262589380.png (2160x6344, 825K)

This is the fastest way around a snowy corner, you may not like it but this is what peak cornering looks like.

Attached: Dirt 4 secret line.webm (800x450, 2.99M)

can somebody give like a frame by frame analysis of the physics displayed in this webm

Fucking gay dude. God, why are white people so gay

>Is the cougar xr7 in the new forzas.
Are you talking about the '90 IMSA GT car or the '70 Cougar Eliminator? They're both in.

>That horrible bokeh
GT5 has no photographic value

Attached: sebastian pls.jpg (1620x1080, 247K)

Slow drivers will often misdiagnose car handling issues as something that needs to be fixed in the setup screen when it's actually their own lack of skill causing problems.

Slow drivers will often not drive fast enough to generate optimal tire heat, leading to a car that doesn't handle as it should. In games like AC this is massively important because you can actually feel a huge difference between lukewarm tires (97% grip) versus peak tires (100% grip).

Then you have weird shit like on how downforce cars, you need to enter a corner above a certain speed threshold so the wings work as intended. Even just a second off pace it'll totally fuck up the aero balance of the car.

Same thing with DiRT Rally. The WRC 2010 cars are easier to drive the harder/more aggressive you push because then it's more likely for the sideforce aero to kick in.

These elements can change how a car or an entire game feels based on who's playing it.

Good example was GPL back in the day. The whole mythos around that game being hard as balls is because GPL 1.0 shipped with shitty default setups that bottomed out, and half the userbase never even bothered increasing ride height in the garage area but still ran to the forums anyways to shout OMG GAEM IS SO HARD WTF SUCK MY DICK I FINALLY COMPLETED A LAP.

Attached: 100_0850.jpg (3664x2748, 2.01M)

>In games like AC this is massively important because you can actually feel a huge difference between lukewarm tires (97% grip) versus peak tires (100% grip).
That in of itself is a problem for most cars though.

>The whole mythos around that game being hard as balls is because GPL 1.0 shipped with shitty default setups that bottomed out
If we're being honest here, why ship the game with undrivable default setups?
Most reasonable people would try the default setup before tuning the car more to their liking, they'd never assume the car was completely fucked from the get-go.

>get stiffer but not hugely stiff brake spring for G27
>easy enough to keep chair from rolling but instead it pivots around the wheels and tips up
Woops

>If we're being honest here, why ship the game with undrivable default setups?
Just Kaemmer things

Attached: 1515103618614.webm (1920x1080, 889K)

They didn't have Risto_Watkins_b.svm back then.

>autism ogonoski tries to make a historical reference again

Attached: captcha.png (311x156, 106K)

>founder of /ovg/
Heresy.

Attached: 1511659473075.png (2800x2089, 993K)

best guess

Attached: 1503924361430.png (1920x1080, 2.58M)

>invalid lap for track limits
Ah yes, think of all the lap time I could gain by understeering into the barrier there.

Attached: 2018-03-21 22_06_49-Automobilista 1.5.1.png (938x658, 1.39M)

>being upset because your lap that was never going to be fast isn't counted
boo fucking hoo

Attached: get good.png (800x651, 383K)

>PCars 2
>AI cuts the whole ass corner to pass me
>Finish race
AI has no penalty

>being upset someone made fun of EEC making shitty mods
The lap was already invalid from two other corners, one of which was probably funnier but harder to screencap.

you have to admit that jimmy character portrays himself accurately. i knew he was a shitter without ever consuming any of his content

my best wasn't good enough

Attached: Nürburgring Nordschleife_9.jpg (3840x2160, 949K)

>assetto corsa page on the wiki is still a mess with mods from version 1.1
what's the current non-shit websites to grab ac tracks?

Attached: 1507505535128.jpg (1024x576, 189K)

RD, sort by downloads then grab stuff like mt akina 2017

>go 1 second slower for no apparent reason
>I know I'll go watch the replay
>replay has been overwritten because of some dumbass .ini setting intended for computers from a billion years ago
Man fuck rFactor, I'm so tired of this fucking game and meaningless garbage default setups and fucked up track geometry from some game 10 years ago that's been copy pasted 50 times.

>he goes an entire second slower without knowing why

>going to the replay viewer to review your lap when you can just hold down the left arrow key to rewind in the race monitor without leaving the session

Attached: what7.jpg (479x358, 26K)

>not binding instant replay to something and reviewing your lap without having to even leave the track

can we get a brain power chart of this?

Attached: discord fags getting boped.jpg (728x410, 15K)

>1:43.7 lap time
why do i even bother practicing, im never getting anywhere close to that.

>why bother if i can't get first place

imagine being this much of a brainlet that you can't enjoy the simple pleasure of racing against your own previously set times.

these are the best lap times from last week's race. you can be literally 2 seconds off pace and have people to drive with. stop making up shitty excuses not to race.

Attached: chrome_2018-03-22_09-28-50.png (98x828, 9K)

racedepartment.com/downloads/watkins-glen-international.20204/

Kaley ;_;

looked like a nice doggo

>Slow drivers will often misdiagnose car handling issues as something that needs to be fixed in the setup screen when it's actually their own lack of skill causing problems.
How do you know when it's one and when it's the other?

>Slow drivers will often not drive fast enough to generate optimal tire heat, leading to a car that doesn't handle as it should. In games like AC this is massively important because you can actually feel a huge difference between lukewarm tires (97% grip) versus peak tires (100% grip).
How do you know the tires are at the perfect temperature?

Attached: OPM.jpg (1280x720, 132K)

What's the Forza crew?

>How do you know the tires are at the perfect temperature?
Isn't that something shown by the AC tire app?

>Slow drivers will often misdiagnose car handling issues as something that needs to be fixed in the setup screen when it's actually their own lack of skill causing problems.
Pointing at the fact that the drivers are bad thus they don't feel/understand the issues.

>Slow drivers will often not drive fast enough to generate optimal tire heat, leading to a car that doesn't handle as it should. In games like AC this is massively important because you can actually feel a huge difference between lukewarm tires (97% grip) versus peak tires (100% grip).
If you take the above point that the drivers are supposed to feel the difference in grip.
I would assume that James is implying that good drivers are good enough to feel the difference in grip.
Because any retard can look at a game telling them the exact tire temperature and if the said game gives them 100% grip value for that.
So you in fact don't need to be good/fast to tell the difference?

I also really have to question what kind of physics the game has if 3% grip difference is something you can "can actually feel a huge difference between"

grip percentage is a modifier for the base track grip level, you absolutely can feel the difference between say 98% and 100%
I use 96-97% for cloudy, 98-99% for mid clear and nowadays 100% is realistic unlike before the tyre model was finalized

Yeah man AC is shit

Also there's no market for it while the racing game community keeps insisting for realism and simulation value.

Someone tried to start a GT Sport league for N400 cars, but he had issues preventing it from happening.

If T10 keeps banning you for that, does this mean they actually read Veeky Forums?

2 days old dumbass

>he had issues
the main issue being no one plays this damn piece of shit

RACEROOM FREE WEEKEND

that's one long weekend

Can we run gt3 on raceroom this weekend? The cars dont drive like ass on it, and its a legit good chance for everyone on ovg to try them.

For me every weekend is a raceroom-free weekend

What about a street racing game with persistent car damage and even permanent driver death?
I think even arcrap like NFS would be super tense and interesting if you're really putting it on the line when you race. Also would be a completely unique game where it's not just "hurr durr win 10 races to level up". Instead you have to be smart and consistent. Someone who takes bigger risks will beat you in the short run but probably crash out in the long run. Also if you put all your money into one car you won't have money for repairs or a new car, so it's a balance

Attached: win win again.png (500x524, 335K)

It's only fun so long as you don't die. Once you do, your motivation will sink through the floor.

>I also really have to question what kind of physics the game has if 3% grip difference is something you can "can actually feel a huge difference between"
3% is 5 seconds on GT3@SPA retard. Not even the same class of car.

Persistent car damage, the possibility of death wiping out your progress? Risking progress to advance? Maybe.... something like racing for pinkslips? How about buying secondhand shitty cars and putting money into fixing them up, tuning them, and racing them?

Dude... Street Rod is your game

youtube.com/watch?v=ALxta1vF2ik

That's probably more down to yourself.
Permadeath is a feature in many popular games.

i think i got cancer just from watching that shit for two minutes

Yeah, something like that but preferably not 3 decades old

It, and SR2, were fucking awesome.

>tfw they'll never make a remake

Don't make me feel old

classicreload.com/street-rod-2-the-next-generation.html

>currently 03/22/18
>03/22/18(Thu)03:26:27 No.18848402

fuck off back to discord please

Attached: noquestionmark.jpg (520x564, 77K)

Is an r9 390+ i5 6500 combo good enough to run Assetto Corsa in VR at 90fps?
I get stable 144fps in singleplayer and about 110-130fps on a full server in mp while playing on a monitor.

why can i drift irl but cant drift for the life of me in a car sim

You are the biggest retard in this thread full of retards

someone tried to tell me a post made this morning was made two days ago and I'm the retard?

holy shit dude, the replay/time he RACED was 2 days ago. eat shit you fuckbag

Are you trying to drift the same kind of car? A normal street car is much easier to drift than a race car. Are you trying to drift at the same angle? It might feel super dramatic IRL even if you're only getting 10 degrees

Other than that the obvious difference is that you can feel the momentum much better IRL, and move your head around

I've tried drifting a few different types of cars, the closest one I could get any success on was the e30 drift spec

Oh yeah, shoulda mentioned this was all in AC

are you using a drifting certified wheel?

Do some SRS races w the bois

alone, maybe on the drift pad on lowest settings