Catalytic converter and Oxygen sensors?

Got my check engine light looked at. It turned out to be both the catalytic converter and oxygen sensor. $1800 to fix. Our state has emissions regulations so I'll need to get the converter fixed before my next inspection.
Questions:
Do I also HAVE to replace oxygen sensors? Mechanic says they won't give a warranty if I don't replace them too, but what's the actual risk of the faulty O sensors killing the new converter?
Would that also cause me to fail emissions or do I just need the converter?
Could I buy parts used for significantly cheaper? Would it be worth it?

Finally: my next emissions inspection is in September. What happens if I wait until then? Is it going to get more expensive? Is it dangerous?

Attached: catalytic_converter_repair.jpg (1940x1545, 602K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5icTmYItwiE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>$1800 for probably 1 cat and maybe 2 O2 Sensors

You're getting ripped off. It cost me $400 to get a catalytic converter replaced, and the exhaust manifold had to be replaced with it because both items welded together after 20 years.

Attached: 1487650520129.png (500x403, 241K)

Really? I've always heard the converters are expensive as fuck to replace

What vehicle is this on

I remember when I was a normie lmao.

Catalytic converters are expensive, yes, especially on newer cars. Do you need to buy new OEM? No. Will they use anything else but? No. Do you need new O2 sensors? No, but you might as well replace them at the same time.

Can it be just the O2 sensor? Yes. Can you pour some fuel system cleaner in there and hope it goes away? Yes.

Can you get one off of a junked car similar to yours? Of course. Can you get one? Extremely difficult depending on year, or you can just steal your neighbors lmaooooo.

Dangerous? No, your car will just have a CEL. Harmful? To the atmosphere, maybe. You can blame emission laws for this one, OP.

what kind of car do you have that it's $1,800 to get that work done?

Universal ones are a few hundred dollars. They're expensive for what they are and do to your car. Check under your car, if its just bolted on you can swap that out in a few hours. If its welded or integrated into the exhaust system, then the muffler shop is counting on you not taking a sawzawl to your car, not having a welder, and not knowing whats actually needed.

>if its just bolted on you can swap that out in a few hours.

Depends. A lot of vehicles that are old enough to start having cats go out usually the bolts are pretty much welded in at this point and you have to cut them out anyway.

That was my case when I had to replace one of mine, at least.

Rav 4, 2003
Mechanic said only a couple hours or so of labor so most of that is parts, that he gets from elsewhere. Would I be able to find parts much cheaper? How do I know if a non-OEM part will work or if a used part is busted?

>Do you need to buy new OEM? No. Will they use anything else but? No.
So, how do I know which to use then?
>Just the O2 sensors
Mechanic said it might be that when he just checked the code but after the actual diagnosis he said it's both
>Dangerous? No, your car will just have a CEL.
So I can just wait until I'm due for emissions inspection, and see if I can find a cheaper one before then?

Same thing happened to me after a 500 mile trip in my 03 Camry. Just reset the code and pray the light doesn't come back on

>Would I be able to find parts much cheaper?
Parts? probably not "much" cheaper, But the actual cat probably much cheaper than his ludicrous markup. You'd save plenty on labor.

>catalytic converter and oxygen sensor.
>$1800 to fix
Highway robbery.

>So, how do I know which to use then?
Start by searching online, there may be a direct-fit aftermarket cat you can buy and have a shop install for you. It will bolt-in the same as OEM.
>O2 sensors
Same thing as above, get aftermarket ones from your local auto part store and replace them.

>So I can just wait until I'm due for emissions inspection
What code did you have, and is the car running okay now?

You're getting ripped off, my man. Where's how I would fix it
>remover post cat o2 sensor
>replace with dummy sensor
Cei is now fixed and you'll always pass obd2 emissions. It's probably a big fine if you somehow get caught though

>Save plenty on that's the thing, he quoted 2.5 hours for labor for the whole thing, so it's mostly parts.
He only uses OEM parts, but it sounds like I can get not-OEM for cheaper
>code
P0420 and 0430 were the codes. Car runs fine for now.

Yeah I'm pretty sure tampering like that is really illegal and literally a $10,000 fine or so.

>Yeah I'm pretty sure tampering like that is really illegal and literally a $10,000 fine or so.

Go back to Commiefornia

Attached: 1512679097767.jpg (988x1059, 279K)

Just don't get caught

Try this first
youtu.be/5icTmYItwiE

Attached: bj7z2pnhnta7otvbjqoa.png (1740x983, 1.85M)

>tfw getting assraped tomorrow for $900 just to get two O2 sensors replaced
>cat is probably fucked too and I'll end up getting assraped for that shortly afterward

When will EPA send him to Gitmo? How has he not gassed himself by now?

God I fucking hate emissions. Soon after I bought my daily the check engine light came on for the cat. Ended up driving the thing for like 6 months unregistered on the previous owners plate because I couldn't get it registered due to emissions requirements. Eventually got it registered in a county where emissions aren't necessary. Then I bought a $5 o2 sensor spacer which fixed the light, so it was all a big waste of time

Attached: 1517945984672.jpg (1024x677, 109K)

If I have a fucked up cat and live in a state with no emissions inspections, should I give a shit or let it stay fucked?

If you leave it it'll eventually get fully clogged and fuck up your engine. Cat deletes are cheap and modern cars still run clean without a cat.

Does OP live in California?

dang, alright I guess I'll get it fixed

No, not NY either since I know they have different emissions laws too. I noticed that a lot of cats say "48 states" or something

Idk how strict your emissions regulations are but the ones in netherlandistan ***can*** be passed without a cat if it has a lean as fug tune. It's easy on lpg. Most people who have a decat here just have multiple maps and switch it depending on the situation

>2003
Does your state have the 15 year rule? Most states don't do emissions tests on cars that are 15 years or older.

Sounds like he's ordering from the dealership parts counter which are known for having 350% markup on parts. Then he's adding his own markup to do the work. If you look around online you can get OEM for cheaper than dealership, or get a generic part for probably less.

If youre in CA or NY you need OEM cats, but other wise you can probably get away with aftermarket ones, depending on your state.

>Do I also HAVE to replace oxygen sensors? Mechanic says they won't give a warranty if I don't replace them too, but what's the actual risk of the faulty O sensors killing the new converter?
No. A lot of times they get ruined removing them from the pipe if they're in the part with the cat being replaced. They could kill the converter if the upstream one is falsely reading a lean condition, and adding fuel. However the downstream one should pick up the fault and just set a code for the upstream sensor.
>Would that also cause me to fail emissions or do I just need the converter?
If your CEL is on, you'll fail. Emission controls are good enough nowadays to pretty much tell the difference between a sensor reading wrong and a bad cat. Get it scanned elsewhere. If you only have a p0420, then you probably don't need the sensors. If you don't specifically have the p0420, you don't need the cat
>Could I buy parts used for significantly cheaper? Would it be worth it?
You cant get a used cat. You can get a much cheaper aftermarket one tho. They usually don't last as long, and I've seen them not work as well and actually set the CEL on. But that shit should be warranty if that happens.

>people saying he's getting ripped off
Yeah he is, by the state. California banned OBDII cars from having aftermarket cats, they have to be OEM.