store.steampowered.com/app/671630/STRIPPER_ANYA_DEMON_SLAYER/
youtube.com/watch?v=20Rt7NugRMs
strawpoll.me/13862022
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for languagedev

>> Next Demo Day 16 (4 days left)
it's actually 2 and a half

nth for post your languagedev

I'm willing to make art for you but you need to be reasonable. Simply tell me about your game and then we can get started.

nth for here's an unrelated awful scripting language dev

vulgarlang.com

>The Language of Nashez /ˈnaʃez/ [ˈmaʃez]
>...and he stood holding his hat and turned his wet face to the wind...
>po brorn brorn hre umboto rokurivl etsote po kor mop brorn hre noggrol naz eźemi

It's like drunk polish and french

I'm pretty sure you have to actually have autism to be a linguist.

polish maybe but surely not french

Carving out one of those mazes you guide marbles through

linguistics is actually pretty interesting desu.
You don't really think about all the subtitles and complications of your language until you're trying to explain to a foreigner why his tone, context, structure,grammar, and everything else sounds off. And all he said was a basic 5-6 word sentence.

What happened to that one game where you play as a witch and gather panties. It was a platformer.

This sounds nothing like Polish

t. a dirty polack

I needs ideas for a game I can finish on under 2 months . maybe something that I can get a demo up in time for demo day. I'm desperate for good ideas. sometimes I just wish I was an idea guy and not a code bro

How do I into writing a generic system that will allow game events that can interact with a variety of game systems?

Like a flood that reduces production in a city or a mishap in a ship that causes it to move slower?

I don't really want to write ten million different classes.

choose a fun indie game you played recently. Change one thing.

2D Dark Souls Roguelike

Can someone using GML please help me make this code work in Draw GUI?

draw_line_width(x, y, mouse_x, mouse_y, 2);

How to get correct x, y and mouse_x,mouse_y based on the window and not game room?

>Playing games
lmao!

Generic systems are bad, as i told the user yesterday. Everything in your game should be able to solve its own problems and not need an outside manager to do it for them.

>something I can complete in under 2 months.
dark souls tier assets would take years for a 1ma, I have months. how about some ideas that are actually viable?

Well both of those seem to fit under temporary buffs/debuffs. Pretty specific.

More progress on dialogue. Got a cutscene system now that can be used for more elaborate things later.

Tell me why RO looks bad.

A game where you try on silly hats!

Valve already beat you to it.

I've been ignoring mainstream gaming for ages now. Can someone tell me what this PUBG thing is?

Did you try googling it yet?

Yeah, I found the synopsis, but nothing explained who playerunknown is or why 10 million people care.

>High risks
>Easy to do well
>Clanfags

What the fuck is this shit?

You should probably check out the shitposts on v or the general then.
The only thing you'll here are memes and promote an off topic bad thread start.
tldr hunger games again but some people got big on twitch playing it

>Everything in your game should be able to solve its own problems and not need an outside manager to do it for them.
That's a pretty strong requirement. Things may be easier to implement at a higher level than the objects themselves, particularly when multiple objects are involved. I'm not advocating for generic god classes, of course.

an unrelated awful scripting language

>That's a pretty strong requirement.
Strong is good.
It's a simple concept , and always easier to refactor as well. Manager classes just create needless abstraction that slow you down.

It's the ultimate form of PewDiePie bait.

You don't need manager classes to do what I said.

Nobody's going to play your shit game. Why not take a break with some anime?

Then what are proposing?
Generic systems imply those.

>not taking a break from your game with some practice in the skills you lack

So I'm not an artist and I don't know dick about programming but I'd like to learn C#. I know Unity comes with a bunch of tutorial videos but I think I'd have a much easier time learning through something more interactive. Should I just use codecademy to learn Java? I've heard it's basically the same thing as C#.

Just...writing code outside of the game objects?

Reminder to add a difficulty level for game journalists:

youtube.com/watch?v=WuSiKpreGIs

Why haven't you put your own name in the title of your game AGDG?

Gee, I sure love seeing ten feet in front of me in a side scroller.

Please dont even ironically propose this. Because with how things are, it will become an unironic thing.

where is this code being executed?

Draw GUI will always base everything off the actual screen size.

You still have no games published on Steam

store.steampowered.com/app/671630/STRIPPER_ANYA_DEMON_SLAYER/

As a programmer who's never used an engine before (I work with frameworks usually and code most of the stuff on my own)
how hard is it to pick up unity? I'm no longer working on my own and spending weeks working on, writing and tweaking things for my own amusement isn't going to fly well for deadlines. I feel like an engine would cut down on a lot of the bullshit code.
It just looks so awful to use

There are built in scripts that return cursor coordinates:

window_mouse_get_x();
window_mouse_get_y();

Hope that helps.

It would be a genuinely good idea. Kind of like what VW did with their emissions thing - automatically detect that the game is being reviewed and make it easier. Also, add BME and female NPCs.

didn't hear about cuphead until this happened. how do i make this journalist play my game?

Why would Unity be difficult for anyone who's already familiar with programming? The interface is simple enough, so there shouldn't be any problems.

Not gonna lie though, cuphead looks really fucking boring. An endless stream of the same enemy plus simple level design.

It was originally a boss rush game but they crowbarred in the levels pretty late in development because of concerns over length.

>I've never played Contra

You have to be 18+ to post here.

It's really me just me being autistic I think. Why spend 2/3 days familiarizing myself with a completely different approach to making games which will save me months of dev time when I can spend those 2 or 3 days right now on actual game dev.

I really dont get why they even thought people would be satisfied with just bosses. It's such a fucking stupid concept. Not to mention all the things they could do with the aesthetic for level design.

every game looks boring when you watch someone who struggles to get past first half of its first level play it

Lol I'm actually a game journalist and I rate games badly if they are to hard, but the fuck are you gonna do about it :)

youtube.com/watch?v=20Rt7NugRMs

Unity is horrible to work with as an experienced programmer. You know how every programmer hates enterprise practices? Premade engines are full of that. Enjoy trying to deal with AbstractGameEventFactoryBeanComponents. Also, the community of premade engines won't understand what you're talking about because they have no formal background and all they know is that "static is the thing you put in to make it work" and yet they'll still talk down to you because of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

>developer makes a game within their scope on their limited funds
>post a teaser
>it explodes because of the aesthetic
>they change plans now that they're being offered insane dosh by publishers

gee what a fucking mystery of life

I see your point. To me coding debug tools sometimes feels like a waste of time that could be better spent writing shit the play will actually interact with, but yeah - it's pretty much what you said.

>automatically detect that the game is being reviewed
>make it harder but so that it would not be noticeable
>start streaming the gameplay
>enjoy publicity from people memeing the reviewer
sounds like good idea

Would it had even gained traction without the MS deal?

Yeah, I looked up some actual gameplay of it. The entire thing seems to just be walking forward holding the shoot button. There's no platforming or combat challenges or even aesthetic variety to spice things up.

That's a shame, I feel like I'd be more interested in it if it was 30 minutes of quality content.

If I were you I would learn python and learn Godot (which uses GDScript, similar to python in almost every way).

Honestly I don't know what's best for a beginner but python is usually the easiest language to learn and Godot is very simple as somebody who knows how to program.

>>automatically detect that the game is being reviewed
and how would you do this lad?

Progress! Made a simple title screen and after some code work the loop between title screen, game and game over screen works fine.
Unfortunately, the wolves are as wonky as ever, and their attacks miss very often, even when they shouldn't. I'm going to work on that a bit more, and add a pause screen, and call it a day.
I hope someone out there will bother to give it a try.

the sound is so fucking bad
not "retro cartoon bad" but just inconsistent and flat as fuck

like VW did with their emissions thing

Its certainly not Python.
You basically have to unlearn it and relearn actual programming once you move on.

What are you even talking about?

What like you have to unlearn dynamic typing and learn pointers?

Programming is the same shit either way.

>yet they'll still talk down to you because of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
This is the thing that drives me away from engines.

>post a simple, quick API question about interfacing with shaders
>"you see, shaders are the basic building blocks that make games work. There are two kinds of shader, the so-called "vertex shader" and the "fragment shader". Think of them like lego bricks that click together..."
>Dude I know all this, I wrote a masters thesis on global illumination, just answer my question
>"Don't worry, lots of people have trouble grasping mathematics. Sometimes we use things called "numbers" and manipulate them with so-called "algorithms"..."

This is what literally every engine community is like.

So much rule 34 potential.
Way too much potential...

Well unlearning dynamic types is just learning actual types, so yes.
And nah, teach someone a language with static types and they'll generally do better than person two learning a language with dynamic types.

Just pick any systems language and get the basics down first.

Ah yes those functions help for mouse. Thank you.
But how do I get X and Y? They are o_player's coordinates, but they are based on where he is in the room, while Draw GUI's X and Y is always based on its screen. I probably suck at math/logic, but how do I get the correct X and Y based from player's X and Y?

How did python get awarded the best for beginners language? Ruby is absolutely better. I guess python has more relevant libraries but I think that's a chicken and egg thing.

>>Dude I know all this, I wrote a masters thesis on global illumination, just answer my question

Have you reimageneered your game yet user?

NO

Why not?

What are some uses for perlin noise other than map generation and procedural textures?

Procedural shaders.

tfw too much to do

Your currently active view also has coordinates, to convert an object's room coordinates into on-screen coordinates you take the object's room coordinates and substract your view's coordinates.

obj_player.x - view_xview[0]
obj_player.y - view_yview[0]

tfw too lazy

What if I work really hard on my game this week then Trump blows up the world? I might as well spend time with friends.

>These people do nothing all day and get (((propaganda))) money, while I work 8 (eight) hours a day like a slave to pay tax which funds this shit

I've got this burning like my veins are filled with nothing but gasoline

Please help

strawpoll.me/13862022

day of the rope soon lad

> start at prison winning
Elder Scrolls did this twice.

>click /agdg/ official discord server dev channel
>pubg talk

I voted for prison because of the word "lab". I love the idea of playing as a genetically mutated creature and busting out of a glass tank and beating the shit out of a bunch of scientists and security people

>click /agdg/ official Veeky Forums thread
>nodev talk