How are touch screens in $30,000 cars so much worse than $30 Kindle Fires?

How are touch screens in $30,000 cars so much worse than $30 Kindle Fires?

Attached: 2014_dodge_journey_sxt-pic-6345238373248896303-640x480.jpg (640x480, 144K)

It's simple. Do you let your kindle fire sit in the scorching sun for 6 hours, then blast it with cold air? Do you constantly shake your kindle fire?

Cars actually use the latest adequate hardware for the job. The hardware has to endure extreme temperatures, temperature change, and constant vibration. Slapping the latest Snapdragon phone processor won't cut it.

This

/thread

That makes sense, thanks.

because car infotainment systems are 2-3 years behind iOS and android

and also because $30,000 for a car isn't shit compared to $70,000 cars. any retard could finance a $30,000 shitbox

>Slapping the latest Snapdragon phone processor won't cut it.
Bullshit. You can put a literal smartphone inside the dash, connect it to the charger and it will work forever, or at least until its battery gives up after constant freezing and heating cycles.

>t. never parked his car in Dallas at noon in the summer.

>never parked his car in Dallas at noon in the summer.
no why the fuck would i do that to my car?
learn to take car of your shit retard

touch screens in cars are all cancer and should be banned

You think I have many options nigger?

then thats your problem

I at least appreciate manufacturers putting in track pads as an alternative to the touch screen.

I personally installed a phone in a gap between the roof and ceiling. It survived 1.5 years in crazy Russian climate (-20 winters, +30 summers) and was removed when it lost its purpose. Said phone is still in perfect working condition, except the battery which is of course dead.

Nvidia makes SoCs specifically for automotive applications and they're plenty powerful. That car infotainment systems are shit is more of a software problem than a hardware problem.

Ok I'ma just park under this tree and walk three times as far in the blistering heat. And when I return, all this melted sap has fallen on my car! Protection yay!

I only come here for people to paraphrase uninformed posts, please leave

I don't think infotainment systems being a pain to use is usually a hardware problem.

Some GPUs operate a 95c in normal conditions fine and some overclockers use liquid gas to .
An half decent smartphones will have to run well while being to expose to all kind of garbage and stay cold enough to be held in hand.

Attached: 349287-amd-radeon-r9-290.jpg (1000x809, 74K)

No, it's because auto companies are cheap as fuck and will buy the absolute minimum spec they can get away with because what the fuck are you going to do about it?

But 30k gets you an average car at best.

>tfw literally have had kindle fire in my z28's dash for a media center for the last 3 years. Car is stored outside in Kansas City weather so extreme heat and cold.

Still outlives factory GM stereos so far

also, embedded software engineers for auto companies are old school "give me the requirements and you'll get that and nothing more, what the fuck is UX" types

This is the correct answer

Car development takes years and infotainment systems get finalized early on. Usually by using what ever off the shelf components they already have.

Tesla gets shit from Veeky Forums. Yet they are the only ones putting modern stuff in their cars and updating software.

Attached: 20171229_094418.jpg (3264x1836, 876K)

I'm more annoyed that more and more automakers are making the infotainment screen an integral part of the car. Some cars you cannot remove it so if you want to install an aftermarket screen, you're fucked.

infotainment systems were a mistake

This is the right path. The problem is that auto company don't update their software and never will. They arein the business of selling cars and overcharging you when it breaks not software.

These are the correct reasons.

This isn't.

My parents' volvo v50 already has it. The goal of this is that you have to buy a new car more often. Yes I know you would probably buy an older car instead, but most people who buy new (boomers) don't.

They're also measurably more expensive than the shitty cheapo SoCs that result in a bad experience.