Hey, Veeky Forums I'm going to be applying a ceramic coating to my car soon. Has anyone else done one...

Hey, Veeky Forums I'm going to be applying a ceramic coating to my car soon. Has anyone else done one? How do you like it?

Pic related: it's what I plan on using

Also general detail fag bread

Attached: Gyeon-Syncro-50-ml_1583_1_lw_2796.jpg (500x500, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qFQsqBHEwrE
detailersdomain.com/collections/home/products/uber-clay-sponge
youtube.com/watch?v=_qpjOR--Zxg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've never done a coat. Is it that much better than just waxing your car once a month? On a side note, I've been using ONR for the past two months and this stuff is amazing. I never thought a rinse less wash could look so good. I also love the fact that I can wash my car in my garage at any time of the day. Last week I felt like giving my ride a quick wash and started at 2am.

I would imagine it's better for impact protection, and the fact that you don't have to wax. That being said I would just do a coating on the front bumper and maybe the runners and just wax everywhere else

Supposedly it helps prevent scratches and swirls also eliminates the need for wax

i have been looking at those kits on autogeek as well. i have no idea what it is like to apply, and also would love to know

I would be scared that my paint has a swirl or scratch that I just coated with ceramic, but if you have pristine paint yeah i would say it's worth it, I know if I bought a new car I would do it

Well, you pretty much need to do a paint correction before you apply it if you want a pristine look. I'm going to polish the paint before I do apply.

>eliminates the need for wax
I was at a car show last year and a local detailer was advertising a 4 year ceramic coat. I was skeptical because he said the same thing about not having to wax it. But I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't need to wax my car for 4 years, and would it seriously give it the wet look for 4 years as well?

What if you coat your car with this instead

Attached: 51KzVFA7xlL._SY400_.jpg (262x400, 35K)

Yeah, you need to take care of it though, so carefully washing it as you would without it and using certain drying agents. The coating can/will scratch and swirl, just not as easily. And yeah, a good one will give you the wet look for a few years. It's weird, with all of these coating companies, they offer kits you can buy online, but for some reason they all have lines of stuff that they won't sell to you unless you're a professional detailer.

The detailer also mentioned coming back every other year for a "refresher" on the coat.

Thoughts on turtle ice wax?

They probably just clean it and apply a drying agent

I love the stuff. I use the spray wax once a month. It takes me about 15 minutes to wax my car and the shine lasts about 2-3 weeks. I know there is better waxes out there, but ice wax is so simple to use.

This bread is my calling.

Here's my take on coatings:
They provide great shine since it is literally glass and are just as tough, surface wise. Some can last up to 3 years realistically.
They aren't that easy to work with, however once you are in the groove, they can be done in a couple hours. Here's my issue; the permanence. If you go too fast or too slow, you can mess up the application, then you have to start all over on that panel, which removing topcoats after they've cured for a minute can be nearly impossible.

Another issue is on top of the cost of the coating itse;f (which for a ceramic coating worth buying can be $80 USD), you also have cost of materials. When you do an application, the microfiber towels you use need to be thrown away, which should be about 6 towels. That is a cost you have to take into account.

tl;dr I think it is great for its low maintenance, but as someone who enjoys detailing, I dont care for them. If I had to recommend one, I'd recommend CarPro CQuartz UK edition. Shit is indestructible for like 2 years. Good value too. But do your reading before even thinking about a ceramic coating.

My go to combo right now is Jescar Power Lock Plus + Meguiar's Fast Finish. Both are hella easy to use and last a good 7 months if the surface is properly prepped and maintained.

Attached: 6-30-2017_2.jpg (3772x1984, 2.59M)

Addendum:

If you have it professionally done or do it yourself, I recommend you pick up CarPro Reload (SiO2 based spray coating) as it is meant to be a sacrificial, supplemental layer on top the base coating to extend the life the base coat and retain its water repellent properties.

Attached: 4-12-2017.jpg (2876x1764, 1.76M)

DO NOT DO THIS
it will look like shit, maybe you are confusing it PPF that you can do in sections. The CC applied like this will make your car look like it had a bad paint job with some parts shiny and clean and others dry dull etc etc when your car gets dirty so in about a week or less and or have a deep dark color like black which will show imperfections a lot faster.

also this

Huh, that's a shame, good to know though. I guess the next best option is clear bra

thinking about getting it professionally applied and getting some scratches and chips fixed before that.

Talk me out of a ceramic coat

Not worth the cost or the experience of taking care of the car yourself.

skills>laziness

Yes the clear bra is better for paint protection hence the name ppf but the cc will make it look better. If you have a decent car or doing it all yourself then you can do both but if you just want protection go with ppf if for looks get the CC..... This poster might know more about it. I just had a CC on a previous car when I purchased it and owner told me all about it.

Anytime you do a CC or ppf you basically need to do a paint correction. Its a waste of money if you dont and will look liek shit.

ITT. Also most important rule is no matter how good the product its all about who applies it. Do your homework and choose wisely who you let apply the ppf or cc.

its more trouble than its worth

>Thoughts on turtle ice wax?
It's a full synthetic wax and has no carnauba in it. I use the liquid wax and like it a lot. It is easy to apply and take off. It's not tedious to use because you can be careless when applying it. It doesn't leave white marks on trim or rubber when it dries. It removes easily.

The shine lasts for weeks or even months before needing waxing again. In between waxes, I use the turtle wax detailer spray if a bird or rain comes by. By rain, I mean driving on wet roads that cause the sides of the car to be coated with that sticky grime that doesn't rinse off.

But since the spray wax was mentioned, I am debating about moving over to it. Detailer sprays have a bit of cleaning agent, but since I preclean before I use the detailer spray, I could probably move over to the spray wax as the replacement for the detailer spray.

Carnuba wax is the best and all you need. Looks better, protects better and less expensive to use overall. I've tried most others, but pure carnuba wax has no equal.

Do they make a carnuba wax that's as simple as turtle ice synthetic?

But wouldn't removing the waxing process help stop swirling? Less contaminants getting rubbed across the paint? Also my car has pretty soft paint (porsche) so a ceramic coating seems like a good idea to help needing a paint correction every year. Also I wonder if anyone is developing a microcoating that acts as a filler, like a glaze, that can be applied to a scratched ceramic coat.

>protects better
That's just not true.

It does look very nice and is cheap though.
Optimum car wax is the best synthetic wax I've ever used. It seems to last a very long time a day looks amazing. However, for how cheap turtle wax ice is, it's pretty impressive.

Not necessarily. You would never apply wax to a contaminated surface. Thats why the people end up fucking themselves by not properly and thoroughly washing their car.

We can discuss coatings, sealants, and waxes all day, but if you aren't washing your car properly, literally none of it matters because you'll probably end up doing more harm than good.

There are plenty of sealants that provide adequate protection for for soft paint. Mine is pretty soft on my Infiniti because some bullshit self healing paint or something and I rarely have swirling issues with quality sealant like Jescar Power Lock.

I once started clay baring my car and made it about halfway before going into the fetal position crying and then made it to a safety room

I'm about to clay bar my car for the first time. I've been watching youtube.com/watch?v=qFQsqBHEwrE

It's a huge undertaking. I've only done it once in 2 years. It was such a pain. And this was on a Civic, which is tiny. Imagine doing the to a full size sedan or fucking SUV

Is it just really time consuming or hard work?

lol sucks fags i had a clay bar but it sucked so much dick i just used 5000 grit trizact and buffed after because my 01 toyota has based single stage paint, i would literally kms if i had a clearcoat shit.

Why don't you get a reusable clay block from detailer's domain or something? It can be washed and isn't ruined if you drop it.

detailersdomain.com/collections/home/products/uber-clay-sponge

Also what in the hell are you people doing during clay barring that's so bad?!?!

Also jack stands and a stool/chair make cleaning and polishing soooo much easier

But this implies a car should be clayed/ironxed/detarred before every coat of carnauba?

I feel like a coating would make cleaning so much easier, no?

Hmm that's interesting, I'm pretty new to car detailing so I've never seen that. I assume you just wash it off after each section?

Those things suck. If you are doing just some post detailing it's okay, but a clay bar will always pick up more contaminants.

Genius idea

No it doesn't think of it as like taking care of your your hair. Do you get a hair cut every time you apply styler? No, you just wash it and style it. But every now and again you need a hair cut. Just like every now and again you need to clay and decontaminate your paint.

It does make cleaning easier, and it will look great. Just like spending $70 to go see a professional stylist.

Just a bit time consuming to do it properly. Especially on a car that desperately needs it. It is MUCH easier on a well maintained car. Essentially I do it once a year after winter on the rear of my car where air circulates while driving because aerodynamics and the front-ish area. Usually takes about 45 minutes.

Oh this should be fun. I'm pretty sure the previous owner hasn't clay barred the car once. 2010 G37. I'm guessing its going to take a few hours to bar the entire car.

Honestly the same idea applies to compounding and polishing. Do you go to the emergency room routinely? No you only go when you desperately need help. Otherwise you just go to the doctor for checkups and outpatient shit because you maintain yourself.

Just like you should only have to maybe do a light polish with a cleansing polish every now and again for very light swirls or hard water marks from daily driving.

Careful with the G too, it has pretty soft paint in my experience. Use lots of lubricant (like the car shampoo you used to wash the car). I would do a wash > dry > iron remover > hose off > clay > final rinse down > dry and then either paint correction or whatever sealant you wanna use.

If you are ceramic coating like OP you NEED to do a 2 step compound and polish.

You know what else prevents scratches and swirls? Not cleaning it with a dirty rag/going through a touch wash.
youtube.com/watch?v=_qpjOR--Zxg

Foam cannon is a meme.

Attached: 1509014772329.png (403x448, 53K)

Have fun using a pressure water on your car.

Uh, thanks. I will.

I thought that was vape juice in the pic

Attached: wut.jpg (600x512, 25K)

>the year of our lord 1999 and 19 more
>not vaping that dank hydrophic SiO2 coating
>implying this isn't the new tide pods
>take a verification vape for your sins

>couldn't find the wax I bought
>found some turtle hard shell wax dated to 1986
>tried it out and seems to still be good
why aren't modern waxes green?

Attached: 1517578607637.jpg (800x600, 30K)

I wonder of the oils broke down much over 32 years. And green isn't trendy tho

Like Larry from AMMO NYC said, claybar is like the emergency room, you only use it when its necessary

What about scratches if things are embedded?

I always thought that clay barring was just something you did before you waxed.

Fuck the professional ceramic installers.

I've actually done this OP!!!

I used Gtechniq CSL (crystal serum light)

Followed by Gtechniq EXO

Then I had my car xpeled and ceramic pro'd afterwards because I wanted the paint to be corrected before ceramic coating.

Listen:

A) Don't waste money on xpel.
Get a good chip repair kit for your paint, and just do that instead. xpel is not worth the money.

B) Don't waste your money on paint correction.
Do it yourself. Might take 6-12 hours, but it's worth it. And don't buy a rupees. it's way overpriced.

C) Basically:

1) wash car with dawn

2) paint correct with Torq TORQX Random Orbital Polisher Kit or something cheap like that. don't overthink it.

3) wash with dawn after polishing

4) apply a good ceramic kit thing. Highly recommend gtechniq. The double layer with CSL & EXO on top will make it easy to maintain for years.

This will save you tons of money. and it'll come out better than Ceramic Pro. Seriously, it was the biggest waste of money i've ever done.

Good microfiber towels:

THE RAG COMPANY 16" x 16" Professional Edgeless 420 GSM Dual-Pile Premium Plush Microfiber Auto Detailing Towels

Attached: 1479717191624.jpg (2048x1151, 510K)

Just re-apply exo once every year

Optimum No-Rinse is a great way to maintain the car post ceramic.

Any other ceramic coat will work as long as it's 2 stage. that way you can just re-apply the 2nd layer every year.

Ceramic coat doesn't prevent scratches. NOTHING WILL, not even xpel. Get a good paint chip repair kit

Attached: 1509561675286.png (258x263, 129K)

>using dawn
dawn is actually very ineffective, use the purple power vehicle and boat wash or Meguiars wash plus.

or you can apply a fresh coat of spray sealant every time you wash your car, which makes sure that your car ALWAYS has fresh sealant .

Also regular ph neutral car soaps do a poor job of washing your car, they cant really remove traffic film. A high ph soap like PP vehicle and boat or an abrasive soap like wash plus will always get your car the cleanest.

agree with the dawn

but don't do a sealant.

ceramic looks way better, and is way way more effective.

they also have the spray on boosts for ceramics if you wanna seal after every wash.

meguiars ultimate quick wax has almost as much gloss as a ceramic coating and its one of the most easiest to apply and its cheap and you can find it anywhere

burn in hell you commie. ceramic is way way way better

If things are embedded and didn't come out in a contact wash, why would they come out during a car less aggressive wax?

As far as gloss is concerned, ceramic coatings do provide a lot of gloss, but barely measurable differences than traditional synthetic waxes and sealants. I'm sure there are sealants or nano coatings that do just as well for gloss.

As far as protection is concerned, ceramic can only protect so much. Realistically it just stays on the car longer and is a little less maintenance. As someone who has done this for a while, the wow of ceramic coatings wears off after you realize they just last a bit longer and cost more.

Come back to me after you've done a proper correction, applied Jescar Power Lock + Optimum Car Wax, and actually observed the level of depth and gloss you get with those

Do those things work? They sound shady af.

A detailing sponge is good if you have an established system with clay barring. If you haven't clay barred in years, a detailing sponge is going to require multiple uses to get all the contaminants out. But if you actively clay bar, its going to get the job done really quick and easy. At least that's in my experience.

Well, will not be buying an expensive or even DA polisher. I plan on getting a GG rotary machine to use with Sonax finishing polish(It's made for rotary). and using a prep solution to ready each panel as I apply. I'm getting Gyeon, because as far as I can see, they have the best proof of R&D as well as time/wash-based proof for any of these companies. Ease of use of application is also a concern but most of these seem pretty straight forward; because of this, I haven't leaned towards a specific company, and still question the difference in professional-only products.

The idea is that you apply a tar remover, iron remover, clay, paint correction then apply the ceramic coating and you will only have to touch the surface with things that may abrade it with left over contaminants such as:

1. A wash mitt every two weeks
2. A clay bar every year

On a surface that's harder than the paint you already have

OR do all of the above to prep the paint AND then touch the paint with:

1. A wash mitt every two weeks
2. An applicator pad with sealant/wax every 3 months (this is a stretch)
3. A clay bar every year

on a softer surface.

It essentially seeks to prevent paint corrections and make the protection step fewer and farther between.

You're applying a less lubricated substance(wax v soap) with a less forgiving contact surface (microfiber mitt vs foam pad)

Is the point not having to do less maintenance? Less maintenance means less paint issues

How the fuck do you guys store your towels when not using them? Plastic storage containers?

In a grocery bag like a peasant. Gonna get one of those rubermade storage shelf closets tho

Theoretically. The thing is (and my point mostly) is that you will have just as few paint issues, most of the protection, all of the looks of a good ceramic coating for cheaper and a little bit more maintenance with quality products.

As SiO2 products become easier to use without sacrificing longevity (see CarPro Reload for examples of sacrifice) I may change my mind.

When it comes to detailing, value and ease of use are worth more to me than the extra time of a few more washes. I think ceramic coats are perfect for people who don't enjoy the car care process and normies like most people on here.

Addendum to the first part: proper technique also presented prevents paint issues too. Technique and practices are most of the battle.