Why do car engines go bad after 100k miles?

Why do car engines go bad after 100k miles?

We can build nuclear power plants, split the atom, go to the moon yet humanity hasnt been able to build a car engine that can get 300k miles

Why?

Attached: dreamstime_xl_41884084_(Custom).jpg (900x600, 86K)

220K miles and still going strong.

I dunno f.a.m, you tell me...

Attached: 28938692_1649707311773369_426987690_o.jpg (2048x1151, 278K)

Maybe stop buying fucking German cars?

Attached: million mile.jpg (750x418, 87K)

>$3200 in repairs in past 6 months
>2010 Mazdaspeed 3 still throwing lean code
>83k miles
Should I just give up?

>humanity hasnt been able to build a car engine that can get 300k miles
I sold my '99 Camry at 315k miles.

Buy an American car or a Toyota

my 2002 accord was still running beautifully when i traded it in at 350k

At 120K miles and doesn't miss a beat.

Attached: D15Z7.jpg (2048x1151, 640K)

because most people can't be bothered with even basic pm

thats the break in period for hondas man, enjoy the next 300k with that bad boy

I actually wanted to swap in a K20 in the next couple of years. I love my 3 stage Vtec, but it could be faster.

feels bad

Attached: 1520795566623.jpg (482x427, 61K)

cant go wrong with the K series when making power goals. i typically pick B series engines when swapping my hondas

She was my first car, and I want her around for another 30 years.

Attached: AuOePLd.jpg (1024x768, 144K)

>$3200 in repairs
>issues not repaired
Sounds like your mechanic is faulty. I'd try swapping it out with a known good one.

Meanwhile there's an user woth 950k+ km on his 535d

thats a beautiful EK user. good shit

secondhand mazdaspeed cars should be giant red flags that they were beat to piss.. understand those price points literally everyone can afford

Thanks man. She's been good to me.

Attached: Miku.jpg (2048x1114, 589K)

planned obsolescence, they cant sell you new stuff if it lasts forever.

yeah it sucks, I had one same make/model/year that I bought brand new but it got totalled by a sleepy trucker in 2013, and I replaced it with a used one with an unreported accident because I really wanted another one and it was all I could afford with the insurance payout. I really miss my original one but maybe I just need to cut my losses and pass it off.

I make enough money now to get pretty much whatever I want, but honestly what I want is a hot hatch and I've always loved mazda

The bad part for him is that his current mechanic probably fucked up enough shit to give a good mechanic a head ache

yeah my dealership is scummy as fuck but even the best rated mechanic shop in my area fucked up and installed the wrong air filter which continued to cause issues. I gave up and started taking it to the dealership and they keep robbing me

>nuclear power plants don't require routine maintenance

It's throwing a code and your dealer can't at least figure out what it is for under a grand? Sounds like they're actually scamming you.. They have all the manuals and how-tos for every possible cause for that lean code, they should be able to narrow it down in a day.

Honestly not sure if this is a b8 thread or OP is just dumb.

today was the second time I brought it to them, each time well over $1000, each time the lean code came back within 100 miles (this time before I even got home). I'm fucking done with them, the question now is whether to give up and sell it or continue draining my bank account brute forcing my way into finding a mechanic who isn't a con artist

Engines are actually amazing

>Why do car engines go bad after 100k miles?

buying shitty car brands are you? have like 140,000 on my 2006 corolla and it's never had any issues, even with canadian winters.

ummm... y-yes?

Attached: IMG_20180110_162809.jpg (5312x2988, 3.72M)

The only thing good left on my 96 Accord at 400k+ miles WAS the engine. And I stopped doing oil changes at 380k because I was tired of putting money into this shitbox and couldn't care less if the motor locked up. But it never did and went to the scrapyard about 30k past an oil change. I put a transmission in it when I bought it at 320k and it went out again 100,000 miles later so I said fuck it.

You should have just pulled the engine before it went in for scrap.

Where did this "cars break down at 100,000 miles" meme come from? I know cars were shittier back in the 70s but still

People buying German and Korean shitboxes then thinking "all cars must be like this!"

Attached: 1521592130479.png (334x393, 134K)

>American cars

pardon my ignorance but dont American cars break after 100k miles? Or is this exclusively a german thing?

Attached: 1498414457407.png (382x452, 163K)

only european engines. american's will easy go 200-250k and japanese will go 250-300k. only eurocucks fall apart so easily.

my 6.0 f250 only just kicked the bucket this month at 700k miles. up until ~600k i had no problems that i can remember

>Toyota
Oh what a feeling

you could drive a buick until our Sun runs out of energy

If you maintain them properly, most last longer.
>humanity hasnt been able to build a car engine that can get 300k miles
Old diesels reached the million, toyotas run 300k verry often some prius also went over the million already.

My engine has 100Mm on it, the only part that broke was a rusted out exaust, the car still runs like on the first day and performance as well as fuel efficiency exceed manufacturers spec.
Oil consumption is 0,1-0,2 L/1000km.

pic related, my head at 90Mm

Attached: 1kr-fe camshafts.jpg (3264x1836, 3.11M)

227K on the old v6 mustang, 177K on the Kia- both vehicles are doing well with routine maintenance and not driving them into the ground.

Usual rule of thumb -
FWD car makes it to 150k or less
RWD outlasts the earth
I don't know why we do this but we do this.

generally the rule is you get 200k out of an engine and anything after that is essentially "free miles" that you probably shouldn't be getting. SOOOOO if a car last that long, great, you're getting your money's worth out of that car. HOWEVER, the car may crack at that point and you shouldn't be too shocked if that is what occurs. If the maintenance is done thoroughly, i have seen, for example, toyota corolla's go for 300k & 400k & just stupid high mileage numbers

>FWD car makes it to 150k or less
I ran a 84 Topaz with 405k miles on it in a few enduro's, then demo'd it, and even after the body was junk it still ran great. Sure it was a gutless wonder that burned more oil than gas, but that old HSC gave no fucks.
Most I ever put on a RWD car was my old 91 Country Squire, had 275k miles on it's original lopo 5.0 before I sold it, and it's still running today.

Attached: IMGP2329.jpg (4000x3000, 2.95M)

maybe if you stop buying GM and
Chrysler products...

Ever heard of planned obsolescence.

>starts and drives after sitting for 30 years
>has countless miles on the clock
>body and rails still solid after 70 years
pssh nothing personnel... kid

Attached: 045198B8-EF8B-4E39-81BB-113B05ECB3D9.jpg (600x450, 137K)

It was the non-Vtech 4cyl.

People shit on chrylser but find me a 97 Dodge caravan 3.8 without 300,000.

The trans solenoids woyld go on them bet the motor wont die

literally everything goes wrong with those things. The reason you see so many still on the road is because they sold a fucktonne. >sell 1 car, 10 years later there is 1 of that car on the road
>sell 100 of a car, 99 break, now there is 1 on the road
>one of these cars is more reliable.

My parents still have one and its at 289,000. Did the trans solenoid about 100k ago. Got a radiator and i fixed the speedometer. So not much went wrong with it

Fantastic taste.
>Buy old shitbox uhaul off CL for pennies
>Literally drag it home
>Rig up a redneck gas tank, fill up the bowls, old 359 fires right up, free up the clutch, drive it to it's current parking spot

Attached: IMGP23671.jpg (3500x2625, 3.47M)

Minivans are the only thing Chrysler's had since before the diamonstar era that is reliable. Well, except cummins deisel trucks and 4.0l jeeps ofc.

And they bought the 4.0 from AMC.

I had an 87 4.0 cherokee that went 277k want 300k so bad but the head gasket said no

I told people it's a meme car but they never listened. Those are more expensive than an RS to keep running.

goooood steel

most fwd cars have less performance / power aspect, and are purely for consumer comfort and price point. quality and longevity is out the window when you can just get the salesmen to say "heated leather seat optional!" and "bluetooth!"

my hardbody with 345k would like a word with you OP

260k on my E30, including a lot of trackdays and autox

My Landcruiser's engine has 780,000km on it now and it goes great. Just gotta buy a car with a good engine and then maintain it well

Stop buying domestic and get a German or Jap car. My beater Mk4 golf V5 just rolled over 350k miles with nothing but normal servicing.

>Mazda
Found the problem, Ford fucked them.

Attached: Mazda2.jpg (561x614, 103K)

They don't.. It's very rare to have an engine failure at 100k.

If you mean around 200+k.. well, that's how long they are designed to last. Most cars lose all their value by the time they hit that number anyway, so it's a waste of money to engineer them to last longer.

You have to pay for better engineering in the MSRP.

Except we can?

Maybe the modern ones, but old Mercedes diesels ran forever, as did BMW gasoline engines such as the M30.

not a very good rule of thumb considering the Toyota echo is FWD and I'm pretty sure a solid 80% of the units manufactured are over 150k miles by now, the rest some idiot crashed.

100k miles is nothing

Attached: volvo-p1800-irv-gordon.jpg (800x450, 90K)

German is trash though, the non turbo golf is just the exception

>What is a Crown Victoria
even idiots can squeeze 300k out of those things, and 150% when engines die out before 200k or 150k it's from Pisa poor maintenance from the owner, i.e. the 20k mile oil change and that. Neglecting many things

>100k

Attached: Somebody-Stop-him.png (697x2293, 494K)

They don't? Even the shit ones go for ages.

Attached: IMG_20180323_201325-3480x2610.jpg (3480x2610, 725K)

Excuse my lack of mechanical knowledge.

If you keep rebuilding an engine as the years and mileage piles up, could you theoretically get it to run forever?

If you overbuild an engine but detune it, does that mean it will last that much longer? It would be like building an LS1 to handle 800+ HP, but only having a h/c/i setup that produces 500HP.

267k miles on my 00 Celica GTS runs perfectly the same as when I got it at 55k miles . I don't do much but regular maintenance . You should stop buying German cars if you want reliability

OP, your car didn’t cost $5 billion dollars. It also doesn’t have the manufacturer watching over your shoulder, a regulatory commission, an extremely extensive maintenance plan, and the people operating it are extremely well trained. Sorry your car isn’t working, but the two aren’t comparable.

>Retards in here talking about German cars
If it’s not some high strung twin turbo engine it will last forever, easily

he's talking about US cars

$7,888??? Tell him he’s dreaming.

Gave it to my cousins at 393k and it's still going strong.

Attached: aDv2mtNeI.jpg (2000x1210, 1.8M)

>German is trash though,

Not according to actual reliability data.

My Turbo Polo is about 280k km and runs like new. You are full of bullshit.

What I want to know is if there's a car that can last more than 200k miles without ever changing the timing belt or timing chain. This is the most difficult and expensive part of servicing a car.

Attached: german engineering.jpg (640x427, 93K)

they dont if you take care of them.

it's a Nissan but yea.

Attached: IMG_20180322_073217.jpg (3264x2448, 365K)

Any VAG or BMW with a chain is rated to 500,000km between changing the timing chain.

> does not include tensioners, guides, or gaskets
at least the timing chain will last longer than the entirety of the car

My family has taken a Camry, a Tundra, and an S420 to 300,000 with no engine failures. On the Toyos plastic shit just broke and interior readouts just kind of died around 15 years of age for each. On the Merc, central locking and fuel pumps died and that's about it. Radio turns off and switches channels by itself sometimes but that's pretty much it.

I ran a W202 C-Class to 245,000 miles with no mechanical failres too. Just weird electrical issues and a bad fuel pump. Currently driving an Hyundai Sonata LF with 50,000 miles without a single issue and an E39 BMW 540i wagon with 192,000 miles and all that's busted on it was some front suspension stuff and a radiator hose.

Attached: spanish pepe el pepito.png (420x420, 15K)

>German cars reliable

My family have been Merc and BMW fags for 40 years and i'll probably keep buying them regardless but modern German cars are not reliable.

They drive better than anything else (Brits & Italians come very close) but they are not at all reliable. They haven't been since the 90s.

Dad and step mom have a current gen E400 and X3, both purchased this year and both have already been towed with crucial part failures.

>E400
>Bad engine mounts
>Infotainment system completely died, entire dashboard was removed
>blinkers and horn go off on their own
>car detects trunk is open and front tires have 0 PSI at random
>ECU death on a 2 month old car

>X3
>turbo failure
>electronic gear shifter failed to make contact with transmission and could not be shifted out of reverse
>rear windows roll down when the car is put into park

Both 2018 model year vehicles

And don't try the "made in Mexico" meme argument. The Merc was built in Germany and the X3 is from the US with a German engine.

Attached: germans.jpg (1089x648, 76K)

Not even... Had a 76 Chevy K10 that made it to 350k before it was sold. Burned a bit of oil on start-up but other than that no issues of note.

>the X3 is from the US
There is your problem

>300k MILES
>Speedometer in Km/h
>Odometer at 333333km
>207123 miles

You’ve got a ways to go, bucky.

Yet the problems were all sourced back to a German made Bosch transmission control module, and the fully German Mercedes is the car with more problems.

Meanwhile my sister has put 130,000 miles on her American-Mexican Ford Fusion hybrid with literally no issues whatsoever.

Attached: hank.jpg (225x225, 8K)

Most Honda's will last 300000 miles on a factory belt.
Nissans and GMs seem to go the lifetime of the car (200+ thousand miles) on their factory chain.

t. firsthand experience

Only to a point. You'll eventually run out of cylinder wall. Really depends on if you need to do any block machining.

I suppose you could sleeve it and then continue down that road.

Nice impreza.

t. - boomer faggot

my wife's parents have wasted countless thousands of dollars because they earnestly believe that cars shit the bucket at 100k. they think im just lucky that my tacoma with 228k miles that I have owned for 10 years has cost less in maintenance than their brand new hyundais

I had an ex bong police car (i30 estate) that I sold with 247k miles on the clock

Spent its entire life being abused and thrown around and is still going strong as I saw it out driving not far from my house 2 weeks ago

it just won't die

>Buy Ford Probe base model manual trans 4-cyl
>Has absolutely no balls
>Currently at 299K with some general maintenance scheduled for this summer on a weekend with the bois
>Has not suffered a single critical mechanical failure, ever
>One of the most notorious cars for electrical issues in the 90s
>Own 3 of them with no electrical problems spanning 4 years and two generations
>700,000 miles between all 3

They go way further than that if you don't buy german

Lean codes are generally always a vacuum leak. It is likely one of the rubber hoses in the engine bay. Smoke test will show you which one.