What happened to small 4x4s

Why do no auto manufacturers make a small 4x4 anymore? I wish I could buy something like the first generation rav4's or the Suzuki Jimni? Why are all the 4x4s crossovers or large trucks? Is there any similar option in the US?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/d/1995-chevy-geo-tracker/6538332678.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stop stealing my threads, also I own a rav4, its not anywhere near on the same level as Jimnys or escudos.

Attached: 1200px-1990_Daihatsu_Feroza_1.6_EL-II_(F300).jpg (1199x753, 178K)

Enthusiasts do not purchase a large chunk of new cars. Thus the market ignores their wishes. Occasionally they let the engineers make something they want. You want a small 4x4? Buy a cleab old one and service it

I had not seen your threads, don't mean to steal. Also I agree that the Jimny is far superior. I was just using the rav4 as an example

Don't be a cuck, spend 10k on a side by side 4x4 buggy that isn't street legal. Then buy something to tow it to the trail.

Safety, cargo capacity, the Internet age.

They flip over and have horrible crumple zones.

They don't really haul very much stuff, if you have passengers in the back then you can forget about having room for a cooler, chairs, tents, whatever you might need for camping, there just isnt room.

People don't go outside to explore and take risks anymore. Why would anyone want to drive down a muddy road and go fishing in an alpine lake when you could just watch somebody vlog about it?

I've actually got a Bronco 2, and I can honestly say that at least the first 2 things are 100% true. I dont have room for all my guns and camping gear without folding down half the rear bench, which in turn means 2 less passengers.

Attached: tmp_5658-20180117_230402700532536.jpg (2919x1806, 2.84M)

>Escudo

Where you from bruh?

Because the fact of the matter is that the average american is too large. Is this really any surprise?

ahem... Most small engines geared low enough to go off road are going to be horrifically slow on the streets so you really wouldn't want to daily one. There's many better ways to have fun off road anyways.

Attached: sbs.jpg (1024x768, 211K)

LADA NIVA is your answer. Costs about 8k brand new. Probably the best 4x4.

>if you have passengers in the back then you can forget about having room for a cooler, chairs, tents, whatever you might need for camping, there just isnt room.
>People don't go outside to explore and take risks anymore. Why would anyone want to drive down a muddy road and go fishing in an alpine lake when you could just watch somebody vlog about it?

Is this some sort of paradox?

Also my Escudo can get 7 people to work in the bush or 5 people to a beach and bring enough coolers, grill and food to get 20 people full and drunk. And don't forget the speakers.

Also i often carry 1000lbs (the rated payload of a raptor) in cement very often. You can fit 8' lengths of 2x12 in it no problem and 10' conduit or cpvc as well. Normally I get the suppliers to bid in their prices and when we get down to the final figures and it looks like someone is gonna win I ask who is giving me free delivery but in a pinch the Escudo can work fine. Unless it is 20' rebar sold by the ton or 19' lengths of pvc obviously.

>I can't go camping in my bronco

How much shit do you need to take? Also I am sure you can't be packing that thing right.

>Escudo
Can you haul 8k like the raptor? I honestly dont understand the obsession with comparing everything to the raptor

Demand for small 4x4s and trucks is weak because they get pretty much the same godawful gas mileage as the huge trucks and 4x4s.

They don't even make anything with solid axles and a frame thats not FIATshit or a fukheuge truck.

The places I take the Escudo a half ton can barely turn around for miles. A trailer just means real fucking problems. I have a ram to pull my trailers but that thing belongs on the road and not on the goat tracks that the Escudo goes to.

Jimnys are solid axle today but I don't know what the new Renegade rip off Jimny is going to bring us.

For the same reason most small vehicles are no longer manufactured, CAFE and profit. Why sell a small car or truck when for about the same amount of effort you can sell a larger one for more profit?

Thrashed mom's 2013 RAV4 things pretty resilient. Got it stuck in a mud hole and just turned off the traction control and it pulled right out. Never had experience with the first gen. So maybe I'm not wok enough for this thred.

Can't go camping in my Bronco with 4 passengers.

Also, here in Burgerland, we like to bring our entire living room out to the woods. And my gun collection actually does take up most of the entire cargo space, now add firewood, a 60qt cooler, tent, sleeping bags, dry foods, ammunition, fishing gear, and whatever the fuck else I might decide to bring.

Iv taken my 4cyl rav 4 into deep snow where Jimmys and s10s got stuck

Cool story, more dragons next time pls

>And my gun collection actually does take up most of the entire cargo space, now add firewood

These two are your problem. Can you not find fire wood at the camp site? Why don't you just put your gun collection across your rear passengers laps?

If you put 2 50l coolers in the back of an Escudo there is still space enough around them to pack a Week's worth of food for 5 guys and you havent even put the other 2 50l coolers on top of the first two yet.

And i pulled an s10 out woth my proper 90s subaru. The issue is the saftey regs that no car can be less than 3500# these days; the lightweight tank isn't legal to make anymore because Escalade.

maybe go fuck off back to roodit with all your friends, Chad.

Here (places in america people camp) it is super illegal to bring your own firewood anywhere, so as a result you must buy it on site, guess how much that costs?

$20 for a permit in the national forest ?

Why would you ever go camping if you know you are being shafted like that to support some crooked cocksuckers?

That's British grade sheeple'ism if I have ever heard it

>best 4x4
>divorced transfer case

You matter friend.

Samurais are divorced as well

You wouldn't believe iv taken my 2003 corolla where
4x4 90s suburbans couldn't go

Government regulations happened.

Attached: 2435520001_large[1].jpg (458x360, 36K)

>4x4 manufacturers HATE him

British grade sheepleism is believing anything you read on the internet

Lol i should just youtube it eh

People don't buy small anymore. It's as simple as that. And as the profit margins are less on a smaller, cheaper vehicle, they must sell many of them.

This is exactly why they stopped making the Ford Ranger. Sales numbers dropped year after year, until Ford decided to pull the plug. People wanted F150's instead.

Hence why I throw it under a tarp and all my other shit and just don't give a fuck

I have a Geo Tracker, it's amazing

Attached: 4965560122_large.jpg (432x323, 104K)

I'm both jealous and sickened. Are you a boomer?

IDIOTS wanting to feel safe in their cuckovers

sorry what were you saying?

Attached: maxresdefault (2).jpg (1280x720, 126K)

26, so no.

People seem to love the Wrangler. Why does it have no real competition?

I want Jap versions of the Wrangler or similar, like a rehash of the old Toyota FJ or TJ's that aren't like that FJ cruiser abomination.

yo should i buy this fucker
syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/d/1995-chevy-geo-tracker/6538332678.html

>tfw no subaru brumby/brat
feels bad man

Attached: -subaru-bumby-002-1.jpg (1500x750, 212K)

Couldn't have picked a more ironic car to put flames on.

2013-14 are the best year of RAV4. It's got the new AWD system with the larger wheelbase yet it's right before they cucked it into a complete soccermom car. With the right tires those things have some potential. Strong oil pan on them too, mine has a shit ton of dings but nothing has put any real damage on it. I should probably get a skid plate or lift kit...

the Panda 4x4 still exists

>x-90
Patrician taste

I was thinking of buying an early 90s 2door Vitara recently

Attached: SUZUKIVitara3Doors-2203_2.jpg (800x539, 236K)

thicc

Fiat 500X?
Not a proper 4x4 as it uses the same system as the Focus RS.

Fuck, it's like stepping into a time capsule.

There is a senior living community near me, whenever I pass by I always get tripped out by the showroom condition 80's Buicks and pristine 90's sportscars, a lady had a 1st gen Honda Prelude that looked like it came off the lot not even a year ago

>he actually believes this
Worse than Subaru fags who think they can go anywhere

Attached: 1519101939236.png (800x800, 84K)

You mean those cars where the wheelbase is as long as it is wide? I think your only option right now is the previous generation suzuki grand vitara 3 door as its the closest to 'new'.

They dont sell because they dont tick the boxes of cuckover customers (safe, economic, big enough to haul your questionable children in)

The only thing I can think of is the new ferd bronco, that might be something in your direction. If it is what the concept looked like atleast.

They do tho you are just fucking retarded

Yeah, the "mini" Bronco looks as though it's going to be based on an Escape-ish platform to compete with the new Renegade.
The Bronco's going to be Ranger underneath though (i.e. proper 4x4).

I heard the Bronco was going to be another 4 door mall-crawler mommy-mobile

Depends where you read it, although the teaser image Ford's released definitely doesn't look proportioned to be 4 full sized doors, maybe a "freestyle" arrangement.
The latest rumour that Dana is gearing up to provide solid axles and that may include the front sounds interesting too, but I'll remain conservatively skeptical on that front. I mean, the T6 Ranger platform already has access to a switchable diff locked 8.8".

Attached: bronco-1521138949.jpg (2732x1366, 714K)

flames are dope

>Freestyle doors

Explain

I like how you took two words from two different parts of the sentence to quote him

how do you like your bronco 2? theres a cleanish running driving 1 owner bronco 2 on my local craigslist and hes only asking $1600. never had much interest in it but at that price point its pretty tempting

actually just checked and hes down to $1275 jesus christ thats cheap

is Guy Fieri your dad?

How much did your bronco II cost? I'm currently looking at the original and am wondering if I should expand my search

Literally punch that term into a search engine instead of a Veeky Forums response.

I like them. Just a short wheel base Ranger with less practicality. I'd consider it at that price desu

I like it. Its a 30 year old Ford, so pretty much everything needs to be replaced. I bought it non-running for $750 And have been doing all the labor myself. It runs pretty nicely now, building it up for a road trip to Death Valley at the end of summer.

If you can get one in running condition for that cheap with 4 wheel drive, a manual tranny and manual transfer case, go for it.

$750, non-running, passed smog and has a clean title. Odometer says 32,600, previous owner said he was the first to hit 99,000 and have it reset, not entirely sure I believe it, but oh well, 132k miles, 232k, 332k miles, what's the difference?

It still runs, it doesn't sound like it's on its last legs, 4x4 with limited slip rear, manual transfer case, 5 speed transmission, manual roll-up windows, manual locks, I ripped out the AC and put in a better heater box

Attached: tmp_5658-20180112_080226611792353.jpg (2706x1874, 2.47M)

These things like, rusted away before most users here were born. I have seen exactly one, and it was at a car meet. Excellent condition.

I remember that also being called the Pontiac Sunrunner.

Im considering pic related for mine, but that will be years down the road, if I even keep it that long.

I really like the idea of a full cage with some kind of integrated canvas cover that can be removed when having fun and kept on when driving in the rain on the freeway.

Attached: tmp_5658-images(7)322197662.jpg (259x194, 8K)

Its all about the Shorty 40's. They stopped making Cruiser fj40s awhile ago but I'm pretty sure they still make them in Brazil as a Bj40

Attached: Shorty40.jpg (936x700, 154K)

suzuki desu
stopped making Cruiser fj40s kek

Attached: 15_1111_13.jpg (480x337, 41K)

Just get a Dacia Duster 4x4

Does it have half a motorcycle on the bed? Also seems like this bike is invisible through glass

its a fat bike. ya pleb.

Not sure if it's worth the money if you're just going to offroad it.
Maybe you can find a cheaper, less spotless manual example

congrats, you found the only thread you spam is appropiate for. Even if you're wrong

You're not fooling me, friend!

can you still get a v6 in those years? I have a 2008 v6 and it fucking hauls

Cos offroading is a completely niche requirement so they have been replaced by functionally useless crossovers that give consumers the dumb aesthetic they want

Mahindra Roxor, literally a Willys Jeep

Attached: i1kdpftm4hgcknc0qodk.png (1219x706, 428K)

not road legal

What are you, a pussy?

Yes it is

It is in Arizona

Everything Ive read states the opposite. Not sure why you'd pay 16K+ for something that can only go 45mph and is Indian built

>weighs 8,000 lbs
>outputs 95 horsepower
yeah, nah

>power to weight ratio
>in a fucking off roader
Go bench race somewhere else

Yea its not an offroader when it has so little torque it can barely push itself under its own accord. I can totally see you "offroading" with a car that would probably stall or burn out your clutch on a hill of any angle

>what is gearing

It doesn't matter you stupid faggot, It'd be different if you got 95hp at like 1500rpm because your torque would be insane. Your gearing advantage doesn't make up for the fact your car has really shitty torque output at any RPM beyond 2k if your HP peak is beyond 2k. But go ahead and tell me about this amazing gear with such a slewed gear ratio so short you basically do 0-5mph in first gear so you can get great impulse as you go "offroading"

Imagine being this stupid and not understanding how low range works

So rev the engine at a higher speed? The low gearing gives you all the torque you need you dumb nigger

Google unimog

>Jimmys and s10s got stuck

We're talking about Suzuki Jimny. Erryone knows chevy cant make a decent 4x4 suv.

I learned to drive on one of those.
My uncle bought one for $500. I spent a summer driving it around rural backroads (once I had gotten my clutch work right).

>shitty torque output at any RPM beyond 2k if your HP peak is beyond 2k

I think your mad is going too fast for you to think properly.

The Bandeirante stopped in 2001.

Suzuki still makes the Jimny/Samurai. It just isn't sold in burgerland because reasons.

Attached: Cig feb2067.jpg (1600x1200, 758K)

>tfw got one
feels bad man

Attached: penis extender.jpg (2885x1554, 600K)