Help me Veeky Forumstists

I've been looking around for a daily with more comfort than my shitbox civic. I've stumbled upon this 1994 316i E36 for 900€ which just new MOT, leather seats, power windows, manual etc all that good stuff. The only downfall is that the car ran 365.000km BUT it's the second owner which she (yes it's a woman) got it for 10 years (first owner got the car 14 years)

Now, my intentions aren't "drifting bro" or going fast anything like that, i just want to cruise in a good looking bimmer as daily without much headache.

Anyone know how reliable these cars are? i've never had a german car especially a BMW before. What do i need to expect? she said the car has a bit rust and a bit wear but i wouldn't mind that for a car from 1994. I see the car has a m43b16 engine but i don't know anything of how reliable they are.

Attached: $_86.jpg (726x545, 68K)

Changing Civic to old ass BMW is not a clever thing.
>316i
Oh gosh

>buying a bmw which run 365k

Enjoy never driving it and spending 10 times.of its orice on repair

>buying a bmw which run 365k

Enjoy never driving it and spending 10 times.of its orice on repair

The civic is a 1995 civic hatch with a 90hp d15b2. It squeaks everywhere, feels cheap, no sound isolation, no comfort and it's loud because of the exhaust (i bought it like that). No power steering, no power windows, no power mirrors, worn out interior. ran 250xxx, has lots of rust and dents (huge one on drivers side because of vandalization) and faded paint.

My point is, it can't get anymore shit than my civic.

316 and 318 are absolutely gutless.
Have you put any thought in this? Unreliable, often needs welding and piss poor fuel economy. If you want something nicer than your clapped out civic you'll have to pay more than 900. You get what you pay for.

yeah you can get something shittier, for example that bmw

Just get a suzuki swift

I currently DD a E38 730D with over 400k km. Also in my garage, E34 540i with over 450k km on it. Both with original engines and transmissions, both work fine. Just maintain your cars and they'll run

bullshit

Give me like 30 minutes and i'll take a picture of E38 odo, E34 is too far away for comfy access

Like i said, i am NOT familiar with german cars especially BMW. Fuel economy couldn't bother me, i've spoken with the owner and she said it doesnt need welding, it just has surface rust. And i'm a student in a hurry, i saw this and thought it was a steal.

Exactly! all the others e36's i saw have atleast 280xxx to 320xxx km on the odo. i haven't seen any e36 under 220xxx unless it's a 328i with full M pack everything and costing more than 5 grand.

Honestly I'd take the bus

Buy it if you are so retarded

e36 will be cheaper to upkeep than a civic because parts can be found in literally every junkyard. i've also owned a 1994 316i coupe.
the problem is that it has like 105 hp lol

I DDed a '92 325i that i bought with 196k km on it, sold it for the excact same price 4 years later with very close to 250k km. The M50 engines have always served me well and without issues. I do have complaints about the pre-face E36 chassis though. Some very questionable decisions were made regarding the interior and, once again BMW, water drainage

True, i live in europe and you know how much it sucks to find out that parts for a civic are getting expensive? the only reason i bought this heap was because it had loads of cheap parts to offer. But the EG's are getting rare here. I've seen enough e36's on the junkyard that i'm ablet to say that these cars are the rwd civics now.

yup the ''JDM is cheap'' meme only works if you live in japan, usa or australia
if you live in europe there is no valid reason to buy JDM over domestic (german), unless you want to stand out or something

m43 is reliable once cooling system is taken care of. but its a gutless sohc 1.6L

>316i
Don't
It's slow as shit, not any cheaper to maintain than the 6 cyl models, but you get all of the problems and unreliability of an E46 (cooling system, subframe, various sensors...). If you want an E46, get a 6 cylinder, otherwise there's no point. Or maybe it would make sense to drive it into the ground, and then part it out when something big breaks.

>buying the small engine
Kys

Honda parts are very expensive here in Yurop for some reason.

I wouldn't bother with a 316i unless it's stock, has been maintained and is cheap. I seem to remember that the 4-cylinder engines are pretty bad, but maybe that was the M40.

I bought a E36 325i with 360000 kilometers on the clock. Pulled the head because it was fucked due to overheating, and found out that the cylinders need to be bored to an oversize because they were very worn. The oil rings didn't function properly anymore and as such the pistons were coated with oily carbon deposits. I suppose the car was neglected though, with regular oil change intervals and synthetic oil it would probably have been fine, but these cars are over 20 years old and have done lots of kilometers.

He's talking about the E36. But you have a point, because the E36 has a rear subframe issue as well. It probably won't cause issues unless the car has been abused or driven hard, particularly when talking about a slow, gutless model like a 316i.