/fe/ - Fuel Economy General Thread

Does converting your hood into carbon fiber increase fuel economy? I already remove the passenger seats at the back of my sedan and I see a 2-3mpg improvement. Now due to carbon fiber being lighter, does it actually improve gas mileage?

Other than that let's make a /fe/ - Fuel Economy General Thread and post other tips to save shekels

Attached: AC218HC.jpg (400x320, 56K)

Yes. That's that much less weight you have to haul. Your engine works less and uses less fuel moving it.

Just buy a hybrid. Transmission is the most important thing for fuel economy

>hybrid

Call me when there's a standard manuel transmission on your Prius

compare the cost of your hood to the pennies saved per week in fuel.

Wheel covers, underbody cladding, and taping over body seams help economy, assuming you are doing mostly highway driving. If you are accelerating and braking often, then shedding weight is the best way to gain MPGs.

Manual doesn't make sense with a hybrid powertrain. Honda tried that with the CRZ and it was horrible.

Attached: 135.png (680x680, 124K)

You're much better off going on a diet, with the added benefit of spendono less in food

It's a pretty good deal if you keep your car for at least 10 more years with the carbon fiber hood.

I do suggest just removing the hood completely and replacing it with plastic wrapper for weight reduction.

>You're much better off going on a diet, with the added benefit of spendono less in food

Kek. I'm already a skinny 150 pound 5'10 manlet.

Block all or part of your grille off (monitor temperatures so coolant doesn't get too hot)

Will help with aerodynamics, and thermal loss particularly when it's cold

Look up easy composites on youtube, they did a video series making a hood. In general making CF parts is fun, and can be profitable. My motorcycle (talking about the model) has a shitty nylon fuel tank that expands due to ethanol in fuel. I made a replacement one with kevlar and CF, coated on the inside to prevent ethanol and fuel coming into contact with the epoxy. Over all 114 fuel tanks made so far I had ~6000 euros in all costs and sold them for 300 euros a pop.
Idk how far you can go with a car. You could consider a CF trunk lid? I'm working on a CF subframe replacement on my bike

>Block all or part of your grille off (monitor temperatures so coolant doesn't get too hot)

I live in Florida so no

Ride a bike.

Attached: 1514416289187.jpg (500x497, 56K)

Semi-stupid question. There is aero for cars that make them artificially heavier to grip the road in corners, stay down at high speed etc. So, what stops me from making active aero that provides a bit of lift to the car when the cruise is set and other certain conditions are met? Artificially make an already light 2000lb car into a 400lb car at speed for highway cruising. What kind of mileage gains could I realize on a small Honda car for example?

Does ECO mode do anything? I have a 2016 civic, I noticed it doesnt really do anything and just makes me accelerate slower. I think I actually get MORE mpg with it off. Someone explain this bullshit?

The money you spend on the hood will be more than you'll ever save on fuel. Aluminium>carbon fibre anyway.

All internal combustion engines are most effecient at wot. Getting up to speed quickly uses less gas then pussyfooting around.

Loss of grip dumbass

What is a honda insight?
What is a honda crz?

Eco mode just delays and reduces the throttle ratios your pedal is sending to the computer, since it's all electric. It doesn't actually detune the engine or anything.

Think like peak torque on the dyno is generally where peak efficientcy is. Brakes are what waste your gas.

Just buy a plane, the auto you describe sounds scary as hell

>All internal combustion engines are most effecient at wot. Getting up to speed quickly uses less gas then pussyfooting around.
>this broscience

Flooring and accelerating your car the fastest is one of the most fuel burning shit you'll ever do.

If you knew the least about hypermiling, you'd know why you're wrong.

>2004 Ford Ranger FX4 Level 2
>207 HP
>238 lb.-ft. of torque
>Rated at 15mpg city/19mpg highway
>13 mpg all the time

What d/o/

Attached: IMG_20170422_201622.jpg (960x720, 232K)

Should have bought the diesel variant

How great is hydrogen converted cars?

>ranger
>good mpg

Have it in a 5 speed. They could get much better mileage in those v6 rangers

you're not making it artificially heavier, downforce is using the air to push the car into the ground in exchange for drag. you could create lift at speed, but your car already does this and it will still create drag

>tfw 155 at 5'6
I thought I was a skinny faggot

They're known for shit mileage, but doable tuneup if its been a minute

>spark plug and boost
>fuel filter, air filter
>oil change
Hope for the best

that truck looks clean as fucc

Diesel is only on foreign models and really old U.S. models. Also the FX4 Level 2 (highest trim level, had a bunch of offroad shit) came only with the 4.0.

It is a five speed.

Thanks. I try my best. I have better pics but they are too high resolution for Veeky Forums. I can try and compress them though.

Also the diesel is slow as shit.

yes, a rather small diference, but given the cost of carbon hoods, you won't save much money

How is your mileage so bad?

I have a 4.10 rear end on 31s, so I am running higher RPMs on the highway. I have tried to relax my driving a lot (I still didn't drive super fast before hand) and I have noticed an improvement. I live 5 miles from school, and if I am getting on the throttle a lot in those five miles, I can visibly see the gauge move, and I have a 19.5 gallon tank.

But is is a blast to drive.

Came to post this, good job user

Wow. I only ask because I'm about to buy a standard 4.0 ranger from 2004. Just want to know what I'm in for.

Mine is also extended cab with 4WD keep in mind. Now that I have been getting better gas mileage, I haven't measured it yet. Just find out what gear ratio the rear end is. 4.10s are bad for highway mileage. But I would definitely recommend the truck.

Pretty sure I'm getting the exact same trim. '04 XLT 4.0 V6 with 4x4

You sure it is the same trim? FX4 Level 2 Rangers are really uncommon.

Light and aerodynamic is the way to go, like a prius

There is also dumb shit like making the back of your car look like a boat, getting as low to the ground as possible, and deleting the mirrors

The drag of lifting the car up will more than outweigh the decrease in friction that your tyres experience. Meaning you'll use even more fuel than before

>Brakes are what waste your gas.
This, I accelerate hard heaps but since I look ahead I can engine break or just lay off the throttle instead of having to use the brakes. Doing this I can manage to get good fuel economy in my sports sedan

Mine is an XLT 4.0 4WD, but it is an FX4 Level 2which has a 4.10 rear end and comes with 31"x10.5" tires. So if you have smaller and skinnier tires, and a lower geared rear end, you will probably get better gas mileage.

Oh shit I didn't see you had an FX4 level 2. That's badass. Nah mine is just a normal 4x4 so I guess that's good since I need to drive it to Wyoming.

Is it stick or auto?

Its a 5 speed manual. Only has 103k miles with all service records. Just waiting on my current fun car to sell so I don't have to take it to WY with me.

Nice. Mine had 119K on it when I bought it. I am in Florida and I bought it off a guy in New York. I could only find two FX4 Level 2s for sale in Florida at the time and they were like $10K+.

That's a hell of a find user. Godspeed

You have to buy dry-carbon parts to actually save any acknowledgable weight. The wet carbon parts usually weigh nearly the same.