> Upcoming Mechanoid Jam itch.io/jam/op-mechanoid
> Next Demo Day 16 (4 days left) itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16
> Play Demo Day 15 itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-15

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/JqsQerui (embed)
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/jAByvH3V (embed)

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

fghj.neocities.org/gra8/index.htm
soundcloud.com/wojakfeels/wojaks-adventure-blue-waltz
soundcloud.com/user-985755321/temper-tantrum
soundcloud.com/wojakfeels/wojaks-apartment
soundcloud.com/wojakfeels/theme-in-gb
soundcloud.com/wojakfeels/chipwave-looped
youtube.com/watch?v=zSubNj87DhU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for slowly getting it

Well at least it's not the short OP.

Horo is cute. CUTE.

Better than the chicken nonsense at least.

the latest GM:S update forces the editor test to have a 5 second splash screen

how do i revert to a previous version

I can't believe this stupid idea to make this attack work, worked.

There, that's the fifth and last angle, all that's left are pain frames.

wait what
you can't be serious
why aren't people up in arms about this?
why are people still even using GM?

playboy doesn't feature women with real wolf ears on their heads and tails coming out their spine

What is a good explosion pack for Unity?
I really like Realistic Explosions by kripto, but it's expensive and looks already too good for my game, I think.

W E W L A D

You're inching at a slow but steady rate.

At least learn anatomy before you try to anime

>tfw became so effective at coding maps and pathfinding from scratch due how many times i had to refactor my code

>Anime wolf girl edition
Why? This kind of childish bullshit makes the Veeky Forums game development community look like a fucking joke.

Between short OPs, chicken dinners and irrelevant bullshit, the current status quo is "piss off as much of the thread as possible".

>Veeky Forums game development community

Not OP, but must I remind you of the hillarious chicken meme?

You excluded of course, silly frogposter. You have no game.

Card City Nights 1 and all the other previous games means the dude already has fans.

Even though CCN2 is kinda a stinker, there was a flood of people buying it because of the built up ``brand loyalty``.

I've got games on Steam, can confirm the numbers are massively inflated, and that's before even taking into account free keys/shitty bundles strip mining their product

progress:
> Skull Progression System
> updated steam build
> some other stuff

Reach stage 8 to finish your run. Then you unlock difficulty skulls. Next run if you want to progress you have to have at least 1 on, and it increases as you unlock more.

So the game gets harder but you choose how

Woah, it's been awhile. Thanks for the pedo OP!

I'm bad at doing sprite work with this many angles. Plus I'm kinda dreading the BIG final thing I have to do for this update.

it's not like constant "artist looking for programmer" memes, enginewars, llc memeing, frogposting, animeposting and neneposting, lets player league, samefagging, posts addressed to no-one, "i've been prepping the programmer for my game all night :) i'm a little stressed, but excited!" memes, gugemposting, "tfw no gf" blogging, "This is a reminder to new devs that enginedevving for 5 years straight is the only way to win the indie race", "You have 10 seconds to explain why you aren't making a mobile/3D game", questionlizard, >circumcised devs, near-constant pretending to be retarded, "If you don't have x I will not play your game" addressed to no-one, "Post x jam game ideas!" with anime attached and other jam drama, bokuposting and other things are doing any favor to this serious Veeky Forums game development community you're talking about

This guy has a point.

Wow like stop trying to kill Veeky Forums board culture dude

So... Progress posting is okay?

thats whats good about this place

>board culture

But the threads themselves are literal proof that doing all that bullshit actually has an audience.

Course.

Let's talk game/programming design AGDG.

Is there a tried and tested method of implementing "perks"? Assuming a turn-based,grid-based RPG, with various perks such as "attacks inflict double damage when out of mana" , "move twice as many tiles when HP is lower than 50%", "character self-revives just once per combat encounter", "being attacked in melee inflicts status effect on enemy attacker", etc.
There's a lot of different things and systems being influenced, from damage to movement to status effects, so I can't exactly keep all the perks stuff in a single place. How do I keep the code from becoming a mess? Is there a better method than going all over the existing code and adding various "if" statements like
>///...Damage handling code where hp is being subtracted when character is attacked...///
>if(hasPerk("second_wind") && hp {
>hp = max_hp;
>}

I really can't think of an elegant solution.

>game/programming design
Not this way of spelling "ideaguying" again

Reminder DESIGN isn't a real thing, it's just ideaguys trying to make their IDEAS legitimate way of gamedev.

How HYPE are you for Godot 3?
Predictions?

Video games don't exist.

You mean like Kojima?

There's no need to be hyped for something that I'm using right now.

Yes, his early games that were popular and great were actually made by a different guy, and when that guy left we got MGS4 and MGS5 proving he's a hack.

That logo is awful, I'm sorry, user. I have nothing else to say.

I'm asking for programming models user, how is that ideaguying?

Who was responsible for Metal Gear Rising being so good?

Are any musicbros planning on making mecha jam music?

So I changed to the Mental Asylum scenery:
fghj.neocities.org/gra8/index.htm

Inaba-chan.

Iterate through an array or whatever. When character is being hit, iterate through all perks that you added to OnBeingHitPerks array, for example. Even better, use events system, make perks subscribe to relevant events and for example when character is hit broadcast event BeingHit which will execute all subscribed code.

How does agdg feel about GDScript? Good language?

good for getting shit done but it's interpreted so it's slow

What is the best idea?

i'm need to keep support for devices that doesn't have opengl ES 3 so i don't really need it

You do some overloading.

>for perk in allPerks:
>perk.handle_event(eventType)

Then the overloaded perk instances trigger only when relevant and ignore all other events.

Actually it is compiled when you export your game to final build.
And it's not interpreted, it's bytecode-executed.

>tfw a bug that drove me crazy for the past hour was caused by objects having a negative position

Why can't any of you compose music as good as /r9k/'s Wojak's Adventure Game?

soundcloud.com/wojakfeels/wojaks-adventure-blue-waltz

soundcloud.com/user-985755321/temper-tantrum

soundcloud.com/wojakfeels/wojaks-apartment

soundcloud.com/wojakfeels/theme-in-gb

soundcloud.com/wojakfeels/chipwave-looped

Yeah it's good. It's similar to Python, so it's easy to learn and use. It's fast enough for almost all situations, I've never run into any problems using it. But if you ever do run into slow downs from it you can use GDNative with C++ for better performance.

use perks as components that manipulate existent values in the parent object, example:
object:
int stamina = 10
health = 100
perk:
void update():
if parent.health < 10: stamina *= 2

then all you need to do is keep those component perks updated. a better way is have an attribute = base_attribute + bonus and have the perks manipulate only the bonus so you have the base attributes safe, it helps when you add multiple perks that modify the same attribute

>tfw bugs making me mad all week long
>buy an eletric racquet
>now spend nights hunting bugs instead of deving

why does godot not have that convenient 'find in documentation on middle-click' thingie gamemaker has?

3.0 lets you ctrl+click stuff

How to find out whether an idea is good:

step 1: Write idea on a piece of paper
step 2: Put piece of paper somewhere out of sight
step 3: Forget about idea
step 4: Wait a week
step 5: Read what you wrote down on that piece of paper.

If it still sounds like a good idea then it's a good idea.

youtube.com/watch?v=zSubNj87DhU
> all these hyper light drifter clones
gross

a reminder that people made playable games in 24h jams while you still don't have anything ready for demo day 16

The pixel art in this is terrible compared to HLD

>terrible compared to HLD
lol

Shift+F1 will search the documentation with whatever word the text cursor is currently on.

Getting explosions and a feel of destruction right is pretty damn difficult.

I've made multiple jam games ranging from 48 hours to 2 weeks.

I still don't have a demo for demo day. Making a big project is exponentially harder than a jam.

non-modified image

Isn't Godot 3 getting C#?

That's a really nodev approach, a dev implements a prototype and can see if it will work right away.

Try doing that with an idea for an entire game. Prototypes are good for features. If you want to know what kind of game you want to make, I wouldn't rely on prototypes too much.

Progress is always good.

You're writing your game from scratch, right user?

Are you trying to shill your game by pretending you hate it and then samefagging and saying it's good. I've seen you post this before. No one here gives two fucks about steam games that weren't developed by agdg.
This is not where you'll find potential buyers either.

They're both low-res pixel art, but HLD has a certain polish to it, while the other game looks like shit.

HLD has good colours, the other game uses a really ugly palette.

HLD has no obvious anti aliasing, while the other game does and in such low-res game it makes it look cheap and as if it was made in mspaint.

It's literally as if the devs of that other game said "HLD has 1 pixel long limbs, lets just copy that" while they missed the whole point.

Yeah. But C# is still a scripting language, there's probably performance increases because C# can be statically typed, but we can't know for sure until benchmarks are done. If you know C#, then you can use it, otherwise GDScript is still a valid language to learn.

your are a saint user

What the ding-dang diddly fucking nigger kind of shortcut is that.

I've been using Godot for a few hundred hours and I didn't fucking know that.

ye

Yep, now go and tell it to the majority of the gamedev companies on the market so they wouldn't spend so much time and money on making so many prototypes before starting production.

free game idea guaranteed to make lots of money
it's time sensitive and I'm too lazy
you play as hurricane Irma
try to do as much damage as you can before you run out of power
if you spend too much time over land you lose power and size too quickly
if you're good, you can head through the gulf of mexico and fuck up Texas which is still trying to recover from hurricane Harvey

>Are you trying to shill your game by pretending you hate it and then samefagging and saying it's good.
no i just found it mentioned while i was looking for new games i could use as inspiration
>I've seen you post this before. No one here gives two fucks about steam games that weren't developed by agdg.
this isn't my game
how does it compare to my game

Your game has a nicer colour scheme and you aren't using anti aliasing like a retard, so it looks better just because of those 2 points.

Although I wouldn't call your game good looking.

>Although I wouldn't call your game good looking.
what's wrong with it...

Becaust you are stupid nigger who are too dumb to look up editor's configurable shortcuts.

You got me there.

I don't really think you know what you are talking about. The initial idea for a game isn't based on any prototypes. Once you know what you want to do, that's when you start building prototypes.

>No mention of animation
What the HECK man

Your animations are terrible, and low level of detail.

What about relying on intuition for designing the first prototype

Specify goals for each feature

Make said prototype

Through extensive playtesting get hard data whether features met goals or not

Keep iterating on prototype

When you get a nice spread of things different groups of people love and hate about the game

Time for production

>Your animations are terrible
fair point
>low level of detail
on what

But anatomy is haaaaard

different user here, I like the look of it
but sand areas are always the worst

>on what

Like the whole world, it looks really samey and sterile.

Meanwhile
has tons of going on in the scene without reusing the same assets too heavily.

You can do all that research before any prototype exists though. You can do trend and target audience analysis.

If your initial idea can't be prototyped then you are ideaguying and have no sense of scope.

>muh heads on poles
so just flashier assets then and maybe more different textures

i thought you were talking about the lack of detail on the grass and trees

>mixing chiptune and not
Gross.

I mean these tracks are pretty good but they'd be kinda piecemeal actually placed into a game.

Ah yes, the classic STIJL O3AO!