What age did simple car repairability die off

Can it be narrowed down to a specific point in time or year. What was introduced or mind was persuaded that got everybody on board with ditching an afternoon of easy car maintenance.

Attached: Timeline.gif (350x197, 479K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley_Earl
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

August 9, 1996

it started with all this electronic captors shit trend.

So probably something like in the 90s.

2012 or something.

I'll dump some of these model progressions.

Attached: Corvette.gif (600x200, 1.82M)

Most car repair is very simple now. It's all part swapping and software updates.

I've never worked on a car newer than 2002. Explain to me why it's harder now.

plastic covers for everything

The parts get more complicated to replace and then it starts to show up in your expenses

Its only harder cause ya don’t understand it

Outright wrong.

What the fuck that's 1 year off my birthday

Electronics can make problems easier to diagnose. Code readers are cheap

Yep. Stupid little fucking press pins on everything that get ruined and cost $11 for 3 and you need 4.

1986 first year for standard fuel injection for ford. 1996 for standard modular engines.

IT'S YOUR FAULT

cars have always been hard to work on, that's why mechanics exist as a profession.

that's the year that ford made the PAG and the year volvos started to use throttle by wire.

It's harder because there's more components, or more shit in the way of the plastic crap you're replacing

Close, while is was in effect as of Jan 1st, 1996. Most manufactures had stated switching in 1994, though not all were 100% compliant until '96.
In response to OP, and those that can't figure it out, the answer ODB-II.

Depends on car more than year. Imagine having to work on vacuum lines or those antiquated electric wiring. You might be thinking of engines that were designed to be easily serviceable from the start, but even back then there always existed mechanical nightmares.

>tfw are totally capable and have access to father's 50 years of tool collections but sometimes give your car to a mechanic to save time/strain and end up having to fix his shit anyway

I mean they have all the fucking tools, the lift, the supply and yet I gotta do it myself.

Attached: Du52Wi0.gif (600x200, 1.75M)

2010ish when you could start manufacturing paper thin panels and have computers in fucking everything

You just need to understand that engines have pretty much never changed since they were invented. Electronic fuel injection dictated by an ecm is the single biggest difference between engines now and engines 100 years ago, but the principles of internal combustion remain unchanged. Fuel economy is the driving factor in engine design today, and literally every single sensor under the hood is designed to work in a system to maximize fuel efficiency.

The better you understand this the better you can start to diagnose electrical problems.

Transmissions have changed drastically though. That shit is crazy.

It's not nessisarily diagnosing the issues that make it hard. Though, when your idle goes on the fritz and could be literally 7 different sensors causing the issue that's no fun...

The biggest issue is that cars today are built with planned obselecense in mind. Shit is built on purpose to be incredibly hard to get to and have tons of special tools. As well as things are built cheap and shitty. If you transfer major components from one car to another, the ECU has to be flashed otherwise nothing works.

Computers and electronics are not hard to understand, but fuck, they're hard to work with.

Attached: 1521826826248.jpg (793x865, 121K)

Plus cars are build to an absolute cost these days with zero though put into the ease of serviceability. Even heavy machinery is getting harder to repair.

>no nuclear engines
The future is dull

my problem is that it didnt stop at diagnostics/sensors, and the electrical equipment can now do major damage to your driving abilities with such a small failure. Basically the spleen of your car.

>OBD2
>bad

Corvega when?

the answer has to do with china.

You see when you recycle a can it goes on a barge to China. The chinese then melt down all this scrap metal with a little iron and make a really cheap alloy that still can sell as 'steel'.

But its cheap bullshit. Just like the plastic they also manufacter by exploiting their cheap labour.

Cars have a problem.

The economy isn't actually as good as it used to be. The average retard can't buy a car in 2017.

What I mean by this is the average car from the good old days actually cost more to make. It required western workers paid western wages and benefits. It requires quality materials and quality construction with quality QC. And all of this costs money.

If you make a car 100% in England its extremely expensive and nobody could afford the car let alone make a profit off it.

Same for other western countries.

So instead they cheapen materials and labour by outsourcing it to poo in loos, chinks, and other low lifes. What used to be solid metal and would is now plastic and cheap. Wires are not copper but watered down 5% copper and 95% pop cans and other mystery metal. THe result is plastic warps, wires corrode, etc etc.

However, the car can be sold at an economical price that us poor idiots can afford to pay and the company can profit.

Most cars are 'made in USA' out of parts and other bullshit actually made in china or india and assembled int he USA.

Whats funny, to me, a storm fag, is its just the classic colonial model but the western governments dont invest in the colony, instead, they are 'free'.

its just like When Prussia and Russia emancipated the serfs. Serfs had rights and free living with many holidays. Emancipated serfs had to pay rent, actually cost less to the land owners, and as a result made the lords much richer as serfs worked more to pay rent and buy shit.

Same principle really on a bigger scale with these foreign factories.

>OBD2
>complicated

Attached: 1371421683047.gif (266x268, 1.07M)

>there are people out there who think that the OBD2 era is worse than the OBD1 era
you can actually fucking consistently get codes and diagnostics with OBD2 what's wrong with y'all
really though, car maintenance is still about as simple as ever the main thing is that old skills have been replaced with new skills so older mechanics feel like things have changed but tuning carbs has just changed to cleaning and confirming functionality of sensors

lmao the quality of metal and plastic in cars is the best it has ever been, the reason why cars aren't simple to repair these days is because of the design and engineering.

jesus christ, you're a fuckin idiot

Companies that used to make easy to repair shitboxes downsize their engines and add forced induction putting half the engine behind the firewall because everything is built with a computer and efficiency in mind not longevity.

I don't know why I bothered to read all this but it's all completely bullshit that you just made up or heard from your cousin or something
and the non-made up stuff is just stupid and out of context
you're retarded, kid

>me, a storm fag
Please go back to your safe space and don't ever attempt another of your "explanations" again.

Attached: 1515376234403.jpg (3600x2400, 831K)

depends what you mean
the 70s has the last of the analogue cars
80s has the introduction of more electromechanical type device
90s still has repairable and easy access but more and more purely electronic means

any thing 2000 and after is very likely to be biased towards modules away from subassembly's

but that is just the mechanical sense in other ways it started with America
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley_Earl

When emission became a concern.

I have a 1990 Jeep Wrangler with an I6. Last year for carb, one of the early years with emissions crap. The engine bay is starting to get filled with doodads, vac lines way increased, sensors way increased, a computer controlled some functions like spark advance, had EGR, carb was a total piece of shit.

After yarding off the carb and replacing it with a 70s model Motorcraft, deleting the EGR, ripping out most vac lines, and putting in a self contained distro that only needs a vac line to control advance....it runs far better and is much easier to work on.

Dacia Duster is still simple to repair even tho its very very rare that anything woukd go wrong with it

Is this the new meme?
You won't shut up about it.

Attached: giphy.gif (690x455, 405K)

mid to late 80's vehicles started to kill it

Attached: evolution.gif (972x648, 1.89M)

Attached: lada_.gif (657x493, 3.78M)

beautiful