Miata General /mg/

Welcome to the /Miata General/ NA edition

>Talk about your Miata
>Recent purchase
>Upgrades
>Are you ready for spring?

Attached: Eunos-Roadster-101-626x382.jpg (626x382, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/d/1993-miata-le-1-of-1500-with/6520162349.html
chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/d/1994-mazda-miata/6533060865.html
chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/d/1991-mazda-miata-se-one-owner/6540622196.html
chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/1990-mazda-miata-turbo-66k/6539704392.html
youtube.com/watch?v=KvHU_3xg1sQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just bought this one. Love it. 1.8 swap. Runs great. In in love.

Attached: IMG_20180323_193136.jpg (4048x3036, 3.67M)

Threadly reminder NB is a direct upgrade to the NA, which includes feels and handling

>welcome to another shitty forced general thread

>still calling it a miata in the current year

come on pal, don't be a fag enabler.

Attached: 1284614744233.jpg (323x323, 91K)

How many cocks can I fit into my mouth general?

>Grabbing some stainless fasteners and nyloc nuts before I replace the rad fan motors
>Talk to the owner for 20~ minutes about random shit
>Come out to find my baby had pissed itself
I guess I can finally justify a new radiator and removing the AC one. When it stops raining.

Attached: 1441086771419.png (391x197, 35K)

>>>lgbt

>No popups
>Rusts from the inside out
I mean you're right, but they're fat from perfect.

>no popups
>comfy

Attached: 1511232597429.png (741x568, 55K)

Good shit user! How was the purchase negotiation?

Paid the asking price. He didnt want anything lower.

Car drives great, has a slight pull, needs an alignment by the feel of it. Nothing else wrong with it that I could find.

chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/d/1993-miata-le-1-of-1500-with/6520162349.html

>mfw all these mx5's in tacky silver everywhere you look

Attached: cat.png (150x150, 42K)

What's up with that? I know red/enamels faded like fuck, whites had a clearcoat issue, blues weren't that popular... Actually, it all makes sense now.

>whites had a clearcoat issue
they all have clearcoat issues
they never came with any lmao

fucking single stage is cancer

Oh, well then excuse my ignorance. What was up with the white paint then?
>Mfw I call up local paint shop for some 'SU' single stage enamel
>Tells me there's no way it came from factory with enamel and clear
>Tell him there's no clear
>Tell him 3 times there's no clear
"Well fuck, 4 liters is $150 then, it's your car do what you want".
So I guess it's waxing every month and cutting every 6.

just polish it lmfao

On one hand, it's not a huge issue for me. If I'm caught spraying 2k at home, I think I get in quite a bit of trouble.

>polish single stage black paint

never again. went through $80 worth of expensive buffer wheels to only have it all fade in a month.

I managed to polish it with just a microfiber rag and polishing compound to t his level. Sure it took like 8 hours, but look at it

Attached: IMG_20160619_170150.jpg (1944x1944, 1.07M)

>he fell for the buffer wheel jew
I get them from HF for like $5 a piece and they work great

Same here lol, looked like fucking magic for a month. Even with Meguiars M21 and chemical guys butter wet, it still oxidizes between washes enough to see the lack of shine in direct sunlight.

Attached: nyaaaa.jpg (1045x623, 220K)

my bumper is pink as shit
would using a cutting wheel fix it?

Only one way to find out how deep it's gone.
According to the PO, the paint on my red NA was done less than a year before I bought it, 2 years ago. I believe him, since the rear quarters have crazing and the trunk lid has bubbles.

My Roadster. Have a '99 head that I'm working on at the moment.

Attached: Miata.jpg (1920x1080, 1.51M)

You'd think NZ would have plenty of 1.8's and the VVT heads not too rare. You'd be completely wrong. 1,8's in any form are like fucking hens teeth here, min 1.5k for a basic 1.8 in decent nick. Crazy.

i'd have gotten him to knock off the cost of an alignment at least

>no popups
>interior sized for little asian men

sounds like a downgrade to me

knowing that these always came with shit paint is quite reassuring

Since the poster took down the ad, how much did you pay for it?

Eh. I said 4500, he chuckled.

Honestly look at other miatas in the area. This one was a fucking steal.
chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/d/1994-mazda-miata/6533060865.html
chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/d/1991-mazda-miata-se-one-owner/6540622196.html
chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/1990-mazda-miata-turbo-66k/6539704392.html
I think I did good.

Alignment is $75

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1048x1017, 598K)

You look at that last one at all? I looked at it, ended up passing on it. Turbo felt like it may go out shortly to me.

lol, I looked at 2 NAs, and this dude called me back, and I went to look at it right after work.

I looked at Miatas in the past, and this was the best priced examples I've seen so far.

Absolutely. I bought this car about three years ago. Only recently realized this. Engine and exhaust parts I've learned to jump on.

>bought my miata 3 months ago for cheap, drove it through the winter
>it had some rusty spots but underbody looked kinda okay, so i wasn't complaining
>now winter is gone, i finally took a while to clean it up and check it a bit more thoroughly
>hood full of little white dots, probably small stones from cars in front of me
>one time i slided outside of the corner on the track in the winter and got stuck on icy hill by my side skirt, was sure nothing bad happened but now it's clear that this part of car was made of putty, so putty just cracked and metal below putty got dented
>small rust bits in various places where no one sees the car anyway

Well, i won't do much about side skirt, but what kind of home methods should i try in order to fix other little rust spots in invisible places? I don't care if there will be small inconsistencies in color or texture since those places are well-hidden. I know that i can buy matching color car paint, but is that all? Should i just scratch the rust and paint it with layer of car paint, or is it absolutely necessary to put some other layers to make it stop rusting?

Attached: all.jpg (2000x1354, 489K)

I think the seams will need a little more attention than just paint
>t. Guy whose seams also need attention
I guess if you want to do the best lazy job, wire brush them hard, rust converter then some seam sealant/primer.

Where should I look for rust on a NB?

thanks, i wasn't aware of this rust layer thingie existence. i guess i'll try it, i have enough time and sandpaper to screw around a bit

where shouldn't you look for rust on a NB? i guess chassis rails are important, so go somewhere where you can look below it and poke stuff with screwdriver. poke forcefully, sometimes everything looks fine on the outside

Where in NZ are you senpai?

The city of traffic trails, Aucks.

Maaaaaaaaaate, been trying to find fellow Veeky Forums folk for ages. Do you know about the NZ mx5 meets here in auckland?

Is that an NB? If so, you'll need to take a good hard read at the NB and it's double skin construction of the lower chassis, especially the sills and their tendency to rust from the inside out.

i've read about it before getting a car, chassis is fine. at very least, nothing collapses after powerful screwdriver pokes, screwdriver would break through chassis rails somewhere if it would be rusty enough to not last couple years more

Sounds scary. I live in the tropics, so I might just pass

Went on half a cruise with the mx5 club inadvertently, most of them are old farts out for the scenery.
Whereabouts you at?

>take a bit of a break from Veeky Forums and the internet in general
>hop back on and can spot kiwis in every single thread on Veeky Forums
what happened?

search NZ MX5 on FB and join the group, there's usually a monthly meet on the last week of the month, younger crowd of 20 somethings. Never gets the attention of cops

I don't have a facebooks, but I'll be keen. Not this month, radiator popped a leak and driveshaft has the giggles.
Do you have a kik or any of that shit?

>ausfag
>gonna fall for the mx5 na meme
>10,000 dollarydoos

Attached: 1513220561151.jpg (400x533, 36K)

The wipers and windows on my Miata are super slow. Electrical is good, excellent grounds, getting full voltage.

Known issues?
Grease the tracks?

user I had the exact same problem. it's a variety of things causing it.
First, these window guides tend to break down and disintegrate, so you'll need to get replacements off amazon or something. It's like $10-15.
Next, you should remove the old grease from the rails, ad replace it with new silicone grease. Shin-etsu grease works very well here. Don't skimp on the grease either, put it in there liberally, then remove the excess at the end. While you're in there, throw a little dry graphite lubricant on the window motor cable for good measure. Move it up and down a couple of times to circulate it.
Finally, the thing that isn't in any guide for this is properly aligning the rails once you put them back in. The rails are held on by a screw under the door panel, and another one on the actual door panel. You need to keep those lose after you reinstall the window. While they're loose, roll down the window to the very bottom and tighten up the screws. Boom, now your window operates like new.

Attached: miata_window_guides.jpg (2072x1393, 509K)

How can this be fixed?

Grommets and zip ties?
Sew a patch?
Replace the whole zipper?

Attached: 15219112899337192636396365691602.jpg (4048x3036, 2.63M)

You need to thoroughly cleaned those rust spots, flake off loose rust and apply a generous layer of POR15. It will stop the rust. Spray paint over it of you want.

when i was replacing my window winders, it turned out that one of the winder is actually functional. it was just rusted to shit and therefore it wasn't willing to move, some wd40 fixed it (i replaced winder anyway since i had second one in better shape). also, stock grease on windows looked more like a glue at this point, so i cleaned it up and applied new grease, then it all moved properly.

Fuck this car is low

Attached: IMG_20180324_152344.jpg (3036x4048, 2.65M)

>fur mart
not friday dude.

Attached: 1264826261848.gif (409x306, 724K)

sitting low in a small car is lovely. wait for the rain though, you might not be amused

Aside from fixing known issues and basic shit (oil, coolant, hoses, tires), is there anything else that's a good idea to look at before taking a long trip in a decently maintained NA6? Any other miata specific tips for road trips?

earplugs

Whatcha talkin about?

Attached: lowlux.jpg (2061x774, 438K)

And a bottle of water. Tend to sweat a lot in mine, no AC and horrendous heat from the trans tunnel.

bump

>he doesnt keep the dream of pop ups alive

Attached: 1411402247241.gif (258x237, 894K)

How do i fix the steering wheel rumble while stopped and idling? Motor mounts need replacing?

Hello /mg/, I bought a 1991 NA last fall, and after changing the spark plugs, wheels and pads, I had to put it away early because of weather, and I couldn't prep it for storage. I'm taking it out now since 3rd winter is finally over, and after charging up the battery, changing the oil and braking off the rotor rust, what else should I remember to do to get it back on the road?

Also, there's quite a bit of quarter panel rust I need to take care of before it reaches the rocker panels, luckily it was covered before there was a foot of ice on it.

Attached: IMG-20171122-WA0000.jpg (3139x1580, 900K)

>can hear noise from the water pump

Attached: 1383929175492.jpg (426x341, 37K)

change all fluids, hand crank the engine, dump the old gas, work the injectors make sure they spray, remove plugs, check coolant, check brake and clutch fluid, check tires for flat spots.

What would you say is the maximum height to comfortably enjoy a miata
I would say 5'8
This isn't manlet bullying

I have a weird sound that comes from the engine on a cold start up. Its almost like a whine/whirring noise thats different from a belt squeak. It'll go away after a couple minutes of idling or if it revs past ~2k but comes back when it goes bellow ~2k. Any suggestions? I was thinking the starter is sticking or the water pump is going bad but I can't find a awnser on google

>thinking of buying a miata
>don't want one without AC

guess that rules out NAs..

>convertible
>ac

Attached: 14075173784555.jpg (326x313, 87K)

Who /slavmiata/ here?

youtube.com/watch?v=KvHU_3xg1sQ

Attached: BBairdropsVodka.webm (640x480, 2.4M)

35 degrees celsius is still fucking hot even in a open car. and then there is the motorway.

Cant you put an aftermarket ac on the NA? I bet it would be better than the OEM one. I head its weak.

i can say that at 180cm i'm comfortable - even in helmet, both with softtop and hardtop

>NA not even worse for rusting
Are you drunk

see: Have you ever even driven a convertible

I’ve got to change the water pump on my NA6, do any of you have any cool tips on how to best go about this

Im changing the crank and cam seals while I’m there and the crank one in particular looks rather daunting

>na6 running super hot but not overheating
>Smells like coolant

?

some NA have ac

why do Veeky Forums hate these cars so much?

Most of Veeky Forums drives shitboxes. The miata is shitbox+, the envy is real.

Veeky Forums signature move is hating popular things. every popular vidya gets hate, gt86 gets hate, people love hating popular stuff

The population of your country nearly doubled in the last decade

NAs are quieter on the highway with the lights popped up. Probably about a 6 Db difference.

Help me, how do I avoid getting jewed by insurance? 180/month on an NA.

how is it quieter popped up?

Post a vocaroo. Could be your power steering or water pump. possibly sonething else.

Sends some of the wind up and over the roof is my guess. Just less wind noise.

I think most of Veeky Forums likes miats. It's probably just some of those fags over in /dbt/ being vocal idiots.

I love them but I can't have one cause I'm too tall
I'm just waiting for the plushies to come out

Attached: 1517778097066.jpg (300x300, 33K)

how tall are you

184cm
my head brushed against the soft top roof when i drove an nb and it drove me nuts. also I have big feet and they feel so clumsy in the tiny footwell

Depends on how tight it is, but a foamectomy of the driver's seat might help.

>184 centimeters =
6 feet, 0.44 inches

lol what, clearly you have never been in one. I'm 6'0 and fit just fine in mine. Shit I had a friend who was 6'3" and fit in his.

We aren't tall my dude. We can fit just fine. Unless you're a fat ass, then you should lose some weight.

>184cm
>too tall

posting cause reddit sux