Tesla owners be real do u use the autopilot feature to drive drunk lets be honest here

tesla owners be real do u use the autopilot feature to drive drunk lets be honest here

Attached: C8CFE19B-F9BF-4B04-AFC2-445072013417.png (728x550, 722K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zU9Z97Kd_FM
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=PW4oZyhUZpk
youtube.com/watch?v=G6NavTWoVQQ)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I use the autopilot feature to drive my 100 mi commute home at 10-11 pm, whilst I keep trying to fall asleep.

I never thought about how nice autopilot would be for long highway drives. That's what it's good at too. sounds /comfy/

you on 10.4 yet? It looks amazing

Nope, sadly not yet

How the fuck you have a tesla and a 100mile commute? Fucking MOVE. You can probably afford it.

>be real
>be honest here

I work 4/10
Work in Beaumont for Mon-Thurs, live in Houston for 3 day (Friday + weekend), that's the 100 mi drive, twice per week
The actual drive to work is pretty short

I'm not moving to Beaumont

When level 4 is enabled, do you think you’re going to just sleep during the commute? How much would you trust it? I have a relative that did SF to CO in an X; used AP for like 98% of the trip. Says it worked great

So a $200m plane that can take off, fly and land still needs pilots but you think you can take a nap while your $100k grocery getter drives? Wew there George Jetson.

Planes can get hudson’d. Cars can’t

The entire point of a 2 deep flight crew is so when automation goes tits up, you have a human to intervene. The point is made that planes can cause deadlier incidents, but contrary to public opinion, many more lives are lost each day to traffic, where American air carriers haven't lost a passenger life since Colgan 3407 in 2009.

Bad drivers are much deadlier than any single aircraft accident, and as automation increases, where an air carrier has strict rules and training, with pilots who follow these rules by the book, at least 2 crew deep at all times, auto manufacturers need to step in to keep the automation in check. Air carriers of today actively monitor what pilots do in the air, and while certain information is deidentified, if you redline an engine, the airplane will tell your company faster than you could tell your copilot. That engine now is likely to fail in the coming operations (turbine creep) and blow during a revenue op, and a replacement is in the ballpark of 2 million bucks. By having that light threat of being monitored with high training, a 2 deep operation can be successful. Due to the nature of driving a personal vehicle, it'd be insane to advocate for more bullshit requirements to earn a fundamental license. That being said, when you sit in the seat, you are the final authority of the operation of the vehicle, the automation is just a assist, not a replacement. If you want automation in full control, then there shouldn't be a mix on the road between automation and human drivers, and at that point, why not ride a bus of a train.

If you have a set of controls, don't goof off at the wheel. The auto industry is already doing shitty things with new cars, and to say that there's a 1 stop solution is juvenile. Don't compare two vastly different systems without an analysis, the anecdote doesn't fit. If a driver won't or can't monitor their vehicle, the vehicle should be smart enough to not allow automation to engage.

Also, if you crash while on autopilot you can actually try and sue Tesla.

Lawsuits, legitimate and frivolous aside, don't solve the issue of risks and potential injuries and deaths caused by negligent drivers. As a thought experiment, what are the solutions to the coming autopilot being a widespread option in cars? Banning it entirely, requiring continued inputs to keep automation on, a big brother tier sensor that makes sure you're paying attention to the road ahead, letting you do whatever you want from the drivers seat, removal of all controls making your car a personal transport with computerized input only?

We have cruise control now, and while there's tech to keep a minimum distance from vehicles, you still have to watch your car and closing distances. Why should a lateral autopilot, something like a super lane assist be any different? Even combining cruise with lateral autopilot and even brakes and acceleration doesn't absolve the driver of their role to monitor the systems so long as they are at the controls.

Sorry user, but you're too intelligent for the world and political system we live in. Normies will still pay no attention to the road and kill people when the autopilot doesn't play babysitter for them, and most people shouldn't be allowed to drive but there will be no forcible license removal program either.

I think its dangerous simply because Tesla really promotes it as being 100% autonomous. I test drove a model X last year and during the test drive the salesman told me to hit the auto pilot button and then take my hands off the wheel. For the rest of the drive he wanted to me relax and just focus on him while he went over the features in the car. I'm sure to most normalfags this was amazing, but I was constantly checking the road and being extremely cautious. I think most normalfags just see auto pilot as a means of the car will drive itself while they focus on doing something else. I could never drive like that.

5 star post.

>won't engage in a dank discussion on a Finnish sheep shearing salon at 4:20am

Attached: 1498496568487.png (645x772, 148K)

I used cruise control for the first time ever last night and fuck me I want a driverless car for highway trips now, it was heaven

didn't know there were tesla owners so desperate to post here on Veeky Forums

Let's hear what you have to say about Crown Vic Police Interceptors.

If you're going the speed limit, you're high on marijuana, but your car has been on autopilot the entire trip (lets just speculate that this is at a point in time that's available).....and you get pulled over (say for expired tabs), could you get a DUI?
You're physically behind the wheel, but you're not driving at all, and hopefully you can have the car history checked to prove this.

I sense some lawsuits relating to this very point in the near future.

a plane can cause a hell of a lot more damage if it crashes, and are a fuckton more complicated with a fuckton more things that can go wrong.

Yes you get a DUI as you are responsible for what your car does, especially as it isn’t 100% automated and you can still interfere

The question of the court will be ‘could you have prevented it’ and if you are drunk or high they will hold you accountable for rendering yourself incapable of interfering with your car.

This is also why an elderly person can run people over all day long while a drunk person cannot.

>if you're flying an aircraft, and your copilot is sober but you are high, could you still fly?
>the copilot can fly by himself, the second crewmember is just a windowdressing
>being at the controls of a vehicle that doesn't
necessarily need me justifies rendering myself legally unable to control it
>I am still in the operators seat
>I am still the final authority of that vehicle

It does work pretty well as is, but sometime I have to take over when there's road work and they just throw orange cones all over the road and hope that 3 lanes will merge into 1.
I'm not entirely sure how .4 will handle that, so we'll see

from what I've seen .4 handles impromptu roads pretty well

youtube.com/watch?v=zU9Z97Kd_FM youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=PW4oZyhUZpk

Pretty neat how it chooses to ignore the white lines and uses the cones/poles and sidewalk as a lane

Autopilot works great as an assist. I would never not keep my eyes on the road for longer than a few seconds (changing music, glancing at a text/email).

I used it for an extended period of time on a road trip to NY from NJ last weekend. Its incredible tool on highways and really makes trips dramatically easier.

You can "turn off" but still be vigilant if something happens. There were a couple of times when an 18-wheeler got too close, or the car would take an awkward angle on a bend, after which I took over instantly, but overall 95% of the time it handled thing well.

As long as you use automation responsibly, I don't see why it would be a problem. But as many have posted you get shithead (youtube.com/watch?v=G6NavTWoVQQ) that fuck it up for everybody else.

makes me believe Elon when he says that pure NN-based vision with standard cameras and some radar is the way to go, rather that LIDAR which gets your to a local maximum quicker but at the expense of true refinement

I keep asking this, but I'm just curious... are you on 10.4 yet? what do you think of it?

I am not, from what I've seen it looks great though.