Dashcams

Are they worth the money? Any interesting stories?

Attached: dashcam-vantrue-ondash.jpg (630x420, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3Cyej-X6cPA
youtube.com/watch?v=57MrB1BmRJY
instructables.com/id/How-to-make-an-SD-Card-extension/
amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I’ve had enough close calls to make it worth it. I’m always on the road too so it’s basically a question of when not if. Also I hope to one day contribute to Aussie Dashcam Owners lazily cussing out some fuckwit in a crossover

i would say that they are worth the money, but for the love of god, get one that doesnt shoot any lower than 1080p

The only thing I've gotten is people cutting me off or nearly getting hit by me when they turn on red/yield signs. Undoubtedly useful if any damage happens though.

Is it a good idea to get always-on dashcams, for the front and back of the car if you're driving a nicer than usual car? So that nobody fucks with it when it's parked.

was rear ended in a parking lot by a fuckwit backing down the isle while not looking. saw him and came to a dead stop wailing on my horn. he still hit me.

Had dash cam so lol

>Also I hope to one day contribute to Aussie Dashcam Owners lazily cussing out some fuckwit in a crossover
Brother! I've only just started towards getting my P's and that channel seriously helps.

Same mate. I had a dickhead turn in front of me while I had a green. Though about uploading it but I'm lazy

Yes. Hardwiring in a decent dashcam yourself is about $60-70.

Everyone lies about insurance here to avoid penalties. Since the increase of foreigners not wanting to get raped hard on insurance or driving around without a license, people reverse into you and speed off, or otherwise do fucking dumb things and then claim the other person is at fault.

I've gotten people crashing into other people, people cutting me off and otherwise doing dumb shit, people sitting at green lights for a full green to red cycle on their phone, wild life being funny, etc

I refuse to be fucked over by some moron that fucks my shit up. Even a forward facing dashcam will assist you in being hit from any angle because they will know what YOU were doing when it happened and from then it's obvious the other driver fucked things up.

Only if you drive your car atleast every few days. Park it for a couple weeks like that and you won't be able to start it. This is much more expensive because the sensors are usually shitty.

Is it possible to get a dashcam that will turn completely off after 2 days or so?
If you are parking your car in the same spot for 2 days, its probably a spot you trust.

How do?
It’s only worth uploading with audio desu, I live for ockerisms

Just helps with what to avoid and what to look out for. It's put my mind at ease while learning to drive.

Dash cams are for losers. They are the fedora of the car world. I wouldn't be caught dead with one for fear of being judged as a wannabe highway patrol officer.

Ah okay, one tip I have is there is a reason driver stereotypes exist, it’s always the same people pulling the same specific shit

I got hit by a dumb cunt that didn't understand how two left turns means the outer lane has to stay in the outer lane. Turned into me and sped off. Caught her license plate and filed a police report because of the dash cam.

A few weeks later the cops found her and she claimed I backed into her and that she stopped to give her phone number.

I sent the officer the video and that settled it right away.

If I didn't have proof of the person hitting me I would've been out a 1k deductible.

Did she get charged for lying?

Don't leave home without one.

Attached: Rexing V1.jpg (970x701, 108K)

Attached: 1521287868599.jpg (587x496, 11K)

lads, bought a cheap chinese dashcam. It shoots good quality 1080 but doesn't have a built in battery, so it shuts off when i turn off the car. Any suggestions for a good dashcam that stays on for at least 10 hours or so?

Some girl tried to smash into my truck yesterday and it got me thinking about getting one

You can get dashcams that will turn off when the battery drops below a certain voltage.

They absolutely are worth the money. Wanna know how I know? Because I didn't have one.

>At highway speed
>left lane comes to a halt.
>SUV driver doesn't believe in mirrors.
>SUV accelerates hard into my lane from a stop
>Way too close to stop, I swerve... HARD.
>Manage to miss the idiot.
>Also manage to lose traction on the loose grit on shoulder.
>Enter spin.
>Hit wall, totaling my car.
>Nobody fucking stops as witness.
>SUV driver herp derps the fuck outa there, onward to kill another day.
>Cops say it's obvious I'm not at fault, I did the right thing.
>Insurance says single vehicle accidents are automatically classified as at fault.

If I had dashcam footage of this, the SUV driver would have been tracked down, charged, and my premiums wouldn't be going up.

GET
A
DASHCAM

they are worth it just because it's hard to argue with video evidence of the incident, as even a minor prang the camera would have paid for itself
you can do it for $5, as it's just a cable you plug in to the fuse box

>Are they worth the money?
Remember to check local laws since depending on where you live they may be illegal.
t. Independent republic of the EUSSR

Illegal to film in public?
Wat da fuk?

This.

>Wat da fuk?
dashcams walk a grey line in the UKaliphate, but are totally illegal in Germanistan.

this is a myth, dash cams in Germany are a-ok as long as you only use it when something happens when you're driving

>Did she get charged for lying?
Not this user
But I will tell my story:
>Highway in the afternoon of a clear day
>left lane going 0.00001 mph faster than right because of asshole trucker in the left lane
>also, asshole trucker in the right lane for not slowing up after 10 minutes
yesitlastedthatlong.gif
>left lane trucker finally gets ahead enough of right lane to move over
>doesn't move over
>car in front of me decides to pass on right side
>I do the same
>asshole behind me in a blacked out truck decides he's going to pass me on the left then squeeze between me and the car in front of me in the right lane
>not enough room
>never going to make it
>tries to make it and i hit him in the left rear
>pulls off onto the side
>hops out of truck and charges my car
>starts to yell then realizes how big i am
>i'm on the phone to 911
>cop shows up and wants the story
>guy starts yelling abunch of lies about how i rammed him
>cop wants my report
>tell cop i'm too shook up and to take his first
>PROTIP: I WAS LYING
>gets asshats story
>cop now comes to get my story and I show him the video
>cop takes it back to his cruiser
>goes back to talk to dickhead again (he was asking if he wanted to change his report)
>2 more cruisers show up
>asshole turns out to be an ex-felon
>ASSHOLE_Cuffed_And_Stuffed.webm
>officer gives me a copy of the report and his badge info in case the insurance wants it

I never knew if the arrested him for falsifying a police report. But they sure ass hell arrested him for something

>only use it when something happens when you're driving
How does that work? Isn’t the benefit of a dash cam is that it runs all the time to catch unexpected events?

>How does that work?
It doesn't, but that's to be expected from the laws in the islamic caliphate of germanistan. As I understand it, you are only allowed to film in public (without a license) for private purposes, and it's not allowed to just record everything, so turning over the footage "as is" will essentially just get it thrown out in court as evidence. What I believe you can do, is edit the recording so it only shows the relevant part and pretend like you only filmed that so it's okay with the authorities or something. At least that's how I understand it, but it's best to consult a lawyer since the laws and court rulings concerning this are so vague and inconclusive.

Just buy a $30 kit to hardwire the camera and monitor car battery level.
Powermagic pro.

bet it was a woman driver or a redneck or ghetto black

Is there such thing as a 360 degree dashcam system (as in 4 cameras) that can record when the car is off and has motion detection and g sensors? Or is this just asking for too many features?

It'd be nice to have a 4 cam system that records normally while driving, and when parked it will occasionally take still frames, or if it detects motion near the car or a bump like if someone hit the car, it would save the last few moments of video or something

Yeah get one. I haven't needed it for any crashes yet so right now it's just used for getting videos and pictures of interesting things

Never understood why there aren't any legit companies making them, it's all chinese crap that may or may not work.
Hell, they should just have dashcams as factory options already.

They sorta do. I remember seeing this on doug's review of the new camaro.

Yes, I have pic related. Never had to use it for anything legal, but caught a bunch of moments. Retards being retards.

They are a must imo, get at least a $90-100 front one. I just ordered a front+rear one with parking mode and a battery park for my new car.

Worth it for a good one. Besides the safety aspect, you can be a rolling photo op if you go around doing a lot of scenic/backroad driving. Even normal driving sometimes lets you capture nice views or interesting things going on in the background.

Attached: 1HP.png (1920x1080, 2.28M)

My brother has a dash cam and it's captured two relevant things, and neither happened while he was actually in the car

The first one was when he was parked in a gravel lot outside a public park when some boy racers in a fucked up 240sx dorifto'd right into the ass end of his car and ran off immediately after. His camera caught their plate and general appearances and I think the cops found them within the week, pretty easy since their car still had paint from my bro's shitbox all over it

The second time was at the house my brother's renting, in a now-shitty neighborhood surrounded by drug addicts and the mentally ill. One night rather than the driveway he parked on the street to make room for somebody else and his neighbor went fucking berserk on his car, tried to smash all the windows with his bare hands, taunted the camera and spooned an entire can of mashed potatoes into his gas tank

This is also the guy that wrapped himself in plastic wrap, threw himself through the window of that house and fell asleep in the bathtub covered in blood. Thankfully my parents were still renovating that house so nobody was there

He's still not in prison, just in and out of jail for shit like this

youtube.com/watch?v=3Cyej-X6cPA

Post video of the potato man

I've had one for a couple years now. I've captured a few close calls with it, but luckily haven't been in an accident yet. Had this gem happen a couple days ago when driving home on the highway.

youtube.com/watch?v=57MrB1BmRJY

Fucking hell, reading this I realise I should get one. Currently drive a proper shitbox (literally worth absolutely nothing) but about to get something worth about £5k. I live in London so ideally would stay on when I'm parked as I've seen so many people crashing into parked cars and the like.

Any recommendations?

>friendly wave from Florida Man @00:36.

is this what it's like having autism

Attached: 1521593900393.jpg (217x230, 4K)

>northstar that actually runs
cadillac btfo

dash cams are the shit.

Attached: 1334285776551.gif (450x371, 1.99M)

Any recommendations for small, discrete dashcam?

BlackVue DR650S

do any dashcams have the option to record to a drive or card that's hidden elsewhere, such as in the trunk or behind a body panel?

My biggest concern is if tyrone decides to steal the camera, the SD card is always right fucking inside it so there goes the footage. Also, if a cop or some other asshole tries to take the camera away it would be nice to have the fantasy of fucking them up with the footage you still have

>i crash my vehicle and the other car is at fault
Next time just let them hit you. Lets say you're in a 4lane highway and you swerve left. Now you hit another bystander and you are at fault of the crash.

Some cameras have the option of saving it to a cloud or a file to your phone via bluetooth I think. That being said, I trust my 9mm to keep me safe.

captured someones loose dog running into the side of my car on my way home, was about $2k of damage. hunted down the owners and sued them, showed the video etc and the judge just said they didnt believe it, so no, a dashcam doesnt really help any. ended up resorting to insurance fraud for that repair.

i have this i think. its small and hardly notice its there, only time i do is when it starts up and when the GPS connects.

I don't think it would take a 1080 resolution to tell who's at fault if something were to happen

I would get one if you could get one THAT ENCRYPTS THE FUCKING FOOTAGE

For some fucking inexplicable reason you can't. (at least not time I checked)

>I trust my 9mm to keep me safe.
I think he's getting to the point that if someone hits your car while you're parked or something and then sees the camera, they can just break in and steal the evidence too

What are some small cams and good places to mount them so they aren't obvious to other people and don't get in my view?

Main reason I don't have one is because I like to leave my windows open in the summer and won't want anything valuable in my car that could be stolen

that looks to be only through the phone though, i.e. you still need to return to the car with the camera still in it, then use your phone's data to send it to the cloud

I'm talking more about someone stealing the camera when you aren't there (or stealing it thinking they're also taking your evidence) but in reality you put the actual storage for it inside your jackstand cubby in the trunk or something and wired it back to the camera

Googled around and this looks like the only solution, but I have no idea how this affects the reliability of the connection and writing of data. It would be nice if one came with a cable out of the box since it wouldn't immediately be obvious that the data is being plumbed elsewhere through this janky looking cable.

instructables.com/id/How-to-make-an-SD-Card-extension/

well if someone runs you need decent enough quality to get their plate number

Good job.

I mean yeah you "dont" need 1080 resolution, but if someone runs you can at least find a clear enough frame with the license plate number for the cops to find.

I've had one for about 2 years now. Caught a few accidents on it. Overturned tractor trailer on the highway, some dickhead who jumped a curb in a parking lot and beached it on the frame, a few other minor accidents.

Pic related.

Attached: vlcsnap-2017-12-16-23h33m43s082.png (1920x1090, 2.17M)

>assault on an officer
>attempted vehicular manslaughter
>resisting arrest
>leaving the scene of an accident
>reckless driving

Anything else?

No idea, after the cops got my video evidence they never contacted me again. She's definitely going to at least deal with misdemeanor hit and run though.

What's a good dashcam Veeky Forums?

Been running one of these for about a year now with no issues.
amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE
It's a VIOFO A118 clone. Prior to this I had a much cheaper chinese dashcam, an OldShark. Paid like $30 for it and it lasted about a year before the battery died and wouldn't hold a charge.

This is surprisingly close to reality.

These ones here are the best design because you can hide them under your windshield tint and the wire in the headliner.

I have an A118C and I would never daily drive a car without a dash cam again. Everyone lies.

They really are, blends right in with the tint and the rear-view. You won't see it unless you're actively looking for it.

>drive nd miat
>no real space for a camera
I've vaguely thought about what it would take to wire up cameras into the bumpers, but the only real use of that would be evidence that I drive too fucking fast everywhere. Maybe it would be nice to have video of when I eventually huck my dumb ass off a cliff?

They make ones that attach to the back of the rear-view.Alternatively the one linked a few posts up fits well behind the mirror as well.

I live in a no-fault state so it doesn't matter. No-fault means it always your fault. Insurance companies win, you always lose.

Papago 535. Expensive but excellent.

I put mine on the windshield. Right in front of the rear view mirror. I just use a 12V power port instead of hard wiring it, kind of ugly but dead simple.

Always let them hit you. Never swerve for anything

The BlackVUE would fit? I'll have to check it out.

Hey, I recognize that hood. Didn't think anyone else had a new edge here, in the same color as mine too.

post video pls

>SUV driver doesn't believe in mirrors.
How can mirrors be real if our emissions per kilometer aren't real?

Attached: f56e43ef-38f3-44e1-95f7-80bca65b7547.png (200x246, 91K)

What about if someone backs up into you from a rhighway ramp?

>i'm afraid i won't be able to get away with hit-and-runs anymore; the post
Learn how to stop crashing into people, you autistic waste of space.

I bought the YI for like 50 bucks on amazon. Figure the best case is i'll never have to need it, worst case being 'thank god I spent 50 bucks your honor'.

I’m surprised that’s manufacturers haven’t starting using the cameras in the car in place of dashcams

Same here, especially with every new car in like the last what 10 years or so coming with screens and backup cams and the fucking internet pre installed.

i wonder if people would drive safer if they knew their car was recording their retardation at all times

I caught the Minnesota meteor on my dashcam. At the time I thought it was just some kid playing with a flare gun or something

webm/gif or it didnt happen.

Maybe for a week or two

>Is having an objective and irrefutable eyewitness at all times while you drive worth it for around $100?
You would be more retarded than the drivers you'd record if you didn't get one

They are definitely worth it. I haven't had to use it to defend myself, but was able to use the footage to help other people in situation where it would have been hard to prove who was at fault. Pic related.

Attached: vlcsnap-2018-03-25-11h47m15s019.png (1920x1080, 1.81M)

I'm in the UK and want a dashcam that has decent quality for recording, not too fussed about GPS (aka if I'm speeding at a separate time then that's no bueno). Price is less than 100$/80GBP.

Rexing V1P seems decent, anything else people use?

Kid got rekt. Anyone have the story?

I bought a $20 Blackweb dashcam from Walmart and hate it. Only has 32GB capacity, Fills up incredibly quick (at 720p res, anything less is crappy as fuck) sucks at night and during the day even at 1080p can't really make out license plates.

Gonna get a better one, Well, two.. One for the front, and one for the rear. Gonna find one that has good quality, large capacity and has a battery with motion detection.

Do dash cams typically work without having to be wired, and will automatically record when I start driving?

Some start recording as soon as there is power to them, or turned on. You can change the settings to do motion, manual recording, etc.. Just depends on the cam and how you wire it.