2019 Toyota Corolla

>2019 Toyota Corolla

caranddriver.com/news/2019-toyota-corolla-hatchback-pictures-and-info-news

Is anyone else tepidly excited about this and hope it's another step into getting fun but practical cars from Toyota?

Or am I just a fanboy who is getting worked up about a fucking Corolla?

Attached: 2019-toyota-corolla-hatchback-pictures-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-705369-s-original.jpg (900x550, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/n9K7pSJ9LEc
pressroom.toyota.com/releases/hatch back all new 2019 toyota corolla hatchback wows 2018 nyias.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=4cFOFgHjQT4
toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/corollahb/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

could be both

>excited over a corolla

Attached: 3536B9EB-448C-42F1-9809-261C4FEE711E.jpg (491x411, 69K)

>cvt
ah well

Attached: photo (1).jpg (900x900, 63K)

"It will be powered by Toyota’s new Dynamic Force 2.0-liter inline-four paired with either a new six-speed manual transmission or the innovative Direct Shift CVT with its separate 'launch gear.'"

Akio Toyoda explicitly wanted to forge a partnership with Mazda, so Toyota engineers could learn how to make cars that drive as well as Mazda's did.
The new joint venture plant in Alabama and the joint EV division all sprouted up when Mazda gutted a Prius and fitted the electric drivetrain components to a Mazda 3, which Toyoda wound up driving.
Apparently he was embarrassed by how much an improvement Mazda could make on his platform that he gave the engineering team a bunch of shit before rushing a bunch of proposals into Mazda's mailbox.
Toyota already had Mazda building the Scion iA/ Yaris iA for a few years, and new cars going forward will likely all have some Mazda DNA for the foreseeable future.
So, while Toyota is making a serious effort to make their cars fun and exciting to drive, and although the boys from Hiroshima may have tinkered with the suspension and handling, this thing is still a chain-driven lunchbox powered by an engine built by some guys who really don't care.
Since Toyota is desperately trying to catch up to Mazda, you really ought to just buy the car they're benchmarking instead.

Attached: 1517700059430.gif (400x300, 1.64M)

That six speed supposedly rev matches both down AND up shifts. That means no rev hang issues!

Even the CVT has an actual launch gear so it might suck less.

I am stupid excited and I generally don't like Toyota. I have a soft spot for the old Tercels and a huge respect for how practical the Matrix was though. If it makes the 168bhp in the Toyota press release it might be the perfect daily driver.

It's no Dacia Duster.

>Or am I just a fanboy who is getting worked up about a fucking Corolla?

I am too. I never considered buying new but I might for this car.

Yep, Corollas haven't been fun for 30 years and they never will be again.

>That six speed supposedly rev matches
i am going to be fucking sick

Attached: 1357399269356.jpg (609x676, 60K)

youtu.be/n9K7pSJ9LEc

I have questions.

All new platform so.

Will it retain an IRS like the Corolla iM or a cheaper twist-beam rear axle of the Corolla sedan?

What is the bore and stroke of the new Direct Force 2.0L? I was always extremely disappointed by the ZR engines and their love of extreme undersquare setups in place of performance-oriented oversquare engines.

>keeping 6MT
nice

>possible AWD
so long as it's mechanical and not that retarded hybrid setup with a separate hybrid drivetrain at the rear

Attached: 2017_Toyota_Corolla_iM_06_4B492F2AD0D6ACF81DB78669C4EF035C716B7AC0-mvrh0d8wktw2tkei13sfwlu2sgl5wldem (800x400, 283K)

IRS: "At the Corolla Hatchback’s rear multi-link suspension with stabilizer bar, responsiveness is sharpened through updated shock absorbers and springs, and like the front, geometry is slightly modified. Lower arm locations have moved (for improved toe-in angle during higher-speed maneuvering), as has shock absorber placement (moved forward for better cargo capacity and reduced longitudinal low frequency input). Overall, front and rear suspension friction has been reduced by 40 percent, and its center of gravity is cut by a substantial 0.8 inches."

Engine:

PRELIMINARY ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS
Engine Model M20A-FKS
No. Cylinders and Arrangement 4-cylinder, inline
Valve Mechanism 16-valve DOHC, chain drive with Dual VVT-i (Intake: VVT-iE, Exhaust: VVT-i)
Bore x Stroke (mm) 80.5 x 97.6
Displacement (cc) 1987
Compression Ratio 13.0:1
Fuel System Direct Injection, Port Injection
Horsepower / Torque TBD / TBD

I have heard somewhere between 160bhp and 170bhp from a reputable source, but it's not official yet.

AWD: I have heard nothing about that being added currently.

pressroom.toyota.com/releases/hatch back all new 2019 toyota corolla hatchback wows 2018 nyias.htm

>IRS
nice.

>another undersquare monstrosity
and there goes any enthusiasm I had. Wake me up when Toyota starts making interesting engines again.

Oh, but it is interesting, just not at that measure. It is going to use a resin cylinder head.

Or not, they just had a poorly worded press release. Yes this engine is boring, outside of it now being competitive with other naturally aspirated engines in terms of power.

looks like a shittier renault megane desu

What I want from the Corolla is a fun car that can compete with the Focus, Cruze, and Civic in terms of an aftermarket. That's not going to happen with an undersquare engine.

The Cruze/Sonic have a VERY aftermarket friendly 1.4L Turbo.
youtube.com/watch?v=4cFOFgHjQT4

The Civic has the new 1.5L Turbo the aftermarket is taking a liking to and the new 2.0L Type R Turbo.

And the Duratec Ford uses has some serious aftermarket support already.

Unless the can somehow pull a 3S-GE on this new engine, Toyota is screwed on the aftermarket.

Attached: 1484047406585.png (960x637, 1.12M)

This 100x desu

if that were the case maybe he should've made a entirely seperate brand devoted to exciting to drive cars. i dunno maybe like scion could've been?

>That six speed supposedly rev matches both down AND up shifts. That means no rev hang issues!

So it's for retard numales who couldn't drive a stick otherwise? Fucking sad desu, it better be able to be disabled.

Not him, but I'd like to see what Toyota does with this. I can't stand what Mazda has done with interiors and do like what Toyota has done, so if they improve enough on performance I'm sold on another Toyota.

toyota should figure out that exciting to drive means negative camber rwd and 50/50 weight distribution. that's all there really is to it

Attached: 1512341400156.png (900x729, 129K)

Do you have this much rage for synchros too? Does the thought of a 6th gear upset you?

It looks great and has 180hp and good reliability ? Sign me the fuck up.

There are some basic things that are acceptable as features. Synchros are one of them. Rev matching on a manual in a car where getting an autotragic is (probably everywhere and definitely in the US atleast) a $0 option is not needed.

The previous Corolla iM/Hatchback looks better
Does nobody seem to remember the iM?

see:
We remember the iM

Press release says 168.
toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/corollahb/

People remember the iM, it sucked. It was quirkly looking, handled better than corolla sedan, and was easy to upgrade the stereo on it, that's it. Actually wait, the best thing it had going for it was that it was dirt cheap.

The mono-spec was a bad idea, and 137hp was unacceptably under-powered.

just give us a corolla with the european front and rear fascia instead of the soyboy inspired shit we get in burgerland thanks

Attached: 2019-toyota-corolla-sedan-spied-side-mirrors-stick-out-like-shreks-ears_8.jpg (1024x683, 168K)

Why are all the Toyotas getting the awful "Lexus Grill" anyways? There's no reason for a plain jane Camry or Corolla to get such aggressive styling, and yet they do

It is apparently functional and reduces the drag coefficient. I don't like it.

>No reason for aggressive styling

Attached: Furniture-Row-Racing-to-Field-Toyota-Camry-in-2016-NASCAR.jpg (752x752, 113K)

Wait really ? How ? Looks like it would create more drag.

That design is tame compared to the brand new Camry front

I don't want to sound like a complete noob here but what do you guys mean by undersquare engines

Google it.

Also that guy is not fully correct either. Its not the shape of the bore that matters for boost, its the thickness and the material around it. Aluminum blocks are less durable than cast and its just worse when it has to have such a long stroke.

Attached: Bore_Stroke_Ratio_Animation.gif (220x268, 129K)

undersquare means the engine has a stroke longer than the diameter of the bore
A square engine means the stroke and bore are the same size.
And an oversquare engine means the bore is larger than the stroke.

In general, undersquare engines don't like to rev very high, and make most of their torque at low RPM ranges.

Oversquare engines tend to love revving, and make most of their horsepower at high RPM ranges, at the expense of torque output. Most high RPM screamers are oversquare. Most, not all. There's exceptions to everything.

The infamous Honda K20 screamer (pic related) is a square engine with an 86 mm bore and an 86 mm stroke. GM's 2.0L Ecotec has the same bore and stroke but isn't a high revver.
The famous Honda B18 is an undersquare engine known for high revving.
Meanwhile, the Honda B16, a 1.6L version of the B18, is an oversquare engine with a love for high revving.

It's all in how well designed the engine is. The aftermarket tends to take very well to engines that are either high revvers, or come with factory boost. If it can't rev high or doesn't have boost, the chances of developing an aftermarket following are slim to none.

Attached: 101111162941.jpg (640x480, 156K)

its a nice addition to Toyota getting back to fun cars along with the 86. wish they could be a bit more sensible with their designs beyond big catfish grills

reminds me of girls with eyeliner winged halfway across their face

so that's how they got the S2000 to rev to 9000rpm without blowing up

The S2000 2.0L engine is very oversquare, while the 2.2L version is slightly undersquare.

>Most, not all. There's exceptions to everything.

This is possibly the most down to earth comment I've seen on this board.

>M20A-FKS
M family engine, 2.0 liter,
economy narrow angle, direct injection
K apparently used to mean Atkinson cycle in non-hybrid engines, but who knows what it means in this engine

A as a suffix meant valvematic, it's in the prefix here instead. Either it means something completely different, or it's standard on every new engine here on out.

>cvt
>rev matching manual

Attached: 1368135534938[1].jpg (591x530, 115K)

I just want an AWD Corolla wagon but of course they'll never offer that or an AWD Prius for that matter.

Toyota now owns 5% of Mazda, and further consolidation is likely. Eventually, we could see a conglomerate where Toyota is the basic marque, Mazda is the premium sportyish one, Lexus is luxury, and Subaru is active lifestyle.

Rx-8/2nd gen 86 twins when?

Toyota did confirm there will be a second gen a while ago, but they also said it was still being developed in cooperation with Subaru.

Based on the hate of the auto rev matching, I guess Veeky Forums no long approves of BMW, Corvettes, Cameros, Porsche, Civic type R, Mini, 370z, and some more I probably missed. The FoRS has an anti-stall system so I guess we hate that too.

This is a performance transmission that has filtered down to an entry-level commuter. The manual transmission isn't being used for a low as price, is an actual intended option. If you want the manuals to be saved, this is huge.

Newer Focus come with the same engine than the Fiesta ST and the power gains on it are insane. I'm currently looking to trade my '13 2.0 5-speed manual Focus for a '17 1.6t 6-speed DCT. I can get a steering wheel from Argentina with paddle shifters for it.

But the Prius has like no grill at all and the best drag coefficient

Rev matching is EXACTLY what synchros do, poundcake.

Veeky Forums doesn’t care about performance

They just care about outdated technology, and removing any driver aid because they think that’s what “””real””” driving is.

they rev-match two transmission components together, but actual rev-matching is when you match the engine speed to the transmission's speed, it doesn't just happen when you let the clutch back on the plate.

Probably, but it looks like it'll be a pretty reasonable way to have a fun and practical car.

There's a manual six-speed as well.

I'm just generally disappointed that the Supra won't get a manual.

>Subaru is active lifestyle.
Actively fixing your head gaskets.

Toyota and Mazda are opening a merged factory in 2020 under the name Toyota-Mazda. I thought this was common knowledge here. Look it up.

>13:1
So premium fuel for an economy car?

thanks

Had the 2003 Toyota Corolla Matrix XR, loved that car with a passion. Great power and looks. Loved the IMs looks but it was underwhelming. I hope this new one will feel better than subpar

>electronic parking brake
For what purpose
>keyless ignition
FOR WHAT PURPOSE.

But yeah the rest looks good. Too soon to say the new engine is good though.

Keyless ignition has been a feature since the E140, broski.

me

finally 25 and might be my first car

are corllas as easy to learn manual as hondas?

Does it have an independent rear suspension yet?

It's actually a step in the right direction. Fuck your truck transmission.
>MUH WOBBLY STICK
>DOUBLE CLUTCHIN
>SKIPPIN GEARS

Hopefully the future of manuals will be like this
>7 speed+ sequential ,N-1-2-etc, separate reverse stick that only works in 1st
>dog ring engagement
>autoblipper and up-down quick shifter stock
Now that boomers are dying and only a minority of retards on Veeky Forums wants a "standard" so they can prove their worthless lives aren't so worthless

Not sure why rev matching is a thing on a economy car, but whatever

>F1-style transmissions in economy cars because DCTs are too heavy, torque converter automatics always have more power loss and are too heavy, and CVTs break too often

you will get it but they will be effectively automatic with no manual intervention or crippled intervention with slow upshifts and slower downshifts to extend transmission life and shift denial for the sake of MPG

I think this is the key. The Matrix was actually a great practical car. The iM sucked and we are all hoping we get a matrix again.

I'm willing to bet it is a combination of emissions and ride comfort. Rev hang was introduced for emissions and these auto match transmissions don't hang.

Pretty good argument, it's much better than start-stop

Rev matching is a thing because the only other options are driveline shock and locked drive wheels or excessive clutch wear, And if you have dogs, unloading the gears and rev matching every shift is essential for not destroying the transmission. If you have synchros, it's the same deal but the transmission just takes longer to die since synchros are designed to wear through the shitty shifting of a british 16 year old instead of banging off each other and getting shredded. This is all ignoring your passengers, who will fucking hate you if you can not keep the car balanced. The only way to keep the car level while you shift is to rev match to avoid sudden rearward/forward weight transfer from overrev or underrev or slip the everloving fuck out of the clutch. Which has a braking effect anyways, so forward weight transfer unless you really slip the everloving fuck out of it.

A human can not rev match perfectly. Good drivers get within 100 RPM but it's not perfect. Hence, autoblippers, and quick shifters. You see a lot of enthusiasm for these in motorcycling where improper engine braking or any driveline shock coming into or leaving a corner, even if the rider is nowhere near the limits, can bring the bike down. Not so much in cars where a shitty shift can become a shitty drift and then everyone says "dat wuz sik bro".

its male dick waving and peacocking

kek

>It's not a 2013 gt86

Attached: 4kq6ipd0xgys0848oc8ks4gg_640.jpg (500x281, 30K)

I think you mean "It isn't a Dacia Duster."

>can get a manual that does all of the work for you aside from operating the lever
>alternative is a CVT

Eh. It looks alright otherwise. I'm actually kind of interested to see what hybrid offerings they'll come to market with.

I don't know if anyone else really notice this, but the photo shows the white one with a red XSE badge. Do you think there's any chance of them trying to offer an XSE trim level set to compete with ST, Si, etc or is it just marketing bullshit like the S badge of before or the XSE on the Camry

Attached: 2016-Toyota-Camry-Badge-02.jpg (1600x1067, 56K)

It seems to me you get all advantages of manual without the lag problems of autos.
If it works like announced it sounds like the perfect transmission to me.

An XSE has been confirmed. The full contents of the XSE have not. You only get the top stereo if you get the XSE with the "optional cvt". I don't think this will complete with the Si/ST but it might compete with the Honda 1.6T/ Mazda 2.5/ect..

Toyota competing with the Si would be a GRMN badge. Not available in the US but they already make a Yaris GRMN that puts out 212bhp.

If it still has four doors then I don't give a shit.

>reduces the drag coefficient
Compared to what?

less drag means better aerodyamics, which means better fuel efficiency.

This Corolla looks like a Toyota flavored 2nd Gen Mazda3 exterior with 3rd Gen Mazda3 interior. Meanwhile look at next-gen Mazda3...

I'd love to. Where can I see one? The Corolla Hatchback will have a production ready car in New York this week.

Everyone got so excited about Mazda's claimed 44% thermal efficiency that they ignored Toyota pulling 40/41% using what is probably a more reliable technology.

Compression ignition has a funny interaction with climate, and the early tech demo reviews make it sound like it didn't play nice with a manual transmission.

I love Mazda, I bought a fair bit of their stock last year. I will compare this to a Mazda3 if it is ready when the time comes. They will need to be significantly ahead of Toyota in terms of enjoyment for me to take that risk. The new Camry really impressed me with how much it improved.

I think people don't appreciate the amount of money Toyota will throw at research on a mass seller like the Corolla. Mazda doesn't have that kind of money and they have given out false hope before.

They ran ads about their cars bring rust proof in the 80s. They only stopped making rust buckets with the current Gen Mazda3.

Obviously I would buy a Mazda if I could