Someone please talk some sense into me

Someone please talk some sense into me

I'm about to buy a 2004 RX8, it has 21k miles, one old man owner, and the compression test I paid for came back as acceptable. It's not going to be my only car, so downtime isn't really an issue.

Should I just take my $5500 and flush it down the toilet instead?

Attached: redrx8.jpg (800x533, 144K)

>one old man owner

That's probably why it's fucked. I really doubt he premixed and redlined it the required 20 times a day.

Oh come on, it can't be that bad. Maybe the engine will need some work, but the whole car can't be bad.

Yeah the car will be good but the engine is kinda important... Rotaryfags always think it's a one hour job to rebuild and replace the engine.

>Rotaryfags always think it's a one hour job to rebuild and replace the engine.
The engine weighs 247lbs and has a smaller footprint than any inline-4, it should be a hell of a lot easier to remove than any other engine. If you lift you won't even need a crane. Granted it takes longer than an hour, but couldn't it be like a weekend project?

>Rotaryfags always think it's a one hour job to rebuild and replace the engine
it is if you have done it twice or more before

>he can't drop any motor in a few hours and a couple beers

Attached: 1519887920142.png (264x465, 116K)

dooooooooo itttttttttttt

>21k miles

You are like little baby.

Attached: 20180313_195052.jpg (1000x563, 108K)

Invest the $5500, and not have the pain in the ass of a roto

If I were you I'd take it. Try to haggle the price down a bit though, mention about how rotaries wont last and you're not sure of the car. Then warm it up, and redline the fuck out of that carbon.

Is it better to find a RX8 with a fucked motor but the rest of the car is low mileage for a cheap rice, then swap the motor right away. Or are you better of just buying a good condition one even though it has more miles?

It all depends on the numbers. A cheap car that's rust/accident free and has a seized (not blown) engine would be ideal. When rotaries fail due to cracked or blown seals, typically almost nothing will be reusable. An engine that simply has low compression will typically still have perfectly good rotors and rotor housings though, which can save you several hundred dollars or more.

inc rebuild.

Dew it. Do what im afraid to do.

The $5500 is the post haggle price. He wanted $8500 originally. I got him to agree to something close to the KBB value since he’s old as shit and would believe that as gospel.

no one mentioned this yet?
>RX8
piece of shit

Rotaries aren't that bad unless you short trip it a lot.

The worst part will be the Mazda suspension that wears itself out 3x quicker than most other comparable vehicles.

If compression is good go for it . To be on the safe side I'd suggest saving money for a potential rebuild if you're that worried.

Attached: 1521609263423.png (608x960, 1.17M)

Just make sure you can afford the rotary upkeep. I have an RX8, but its strictly a weekend car. If I had to daily it the fuel costs would kill me. I average 75mi a day and the RX8 gets awful mpg.

Fuel economy is irrelevant, my work is 12 miles away from home and my daily driver gets mid 30s on regular gas.

there is nothing wrong with rx8 other than
>muh doesnt have enough horsepower to defeat dodge demons 0-60 time therefor its shit
>oh and dodge demon is on perfect conditions with warm tyres and rx8 has to accelarate off brake disks alone on oiled ice

if you arent a retarded benchracer and like rotaries rx8 is a great god damned car

how does rx8 survive not being driven daily?
Kinda considering getting one as my winter/secondary summer car.
I have so much money that emm pee geees arent really an issue

rx8 fuel economy is about 20mpg in real world.
Its not great but its not bad.

Another benchracer meme busted

Yeah, original engine lasted 40ishk since it was a recall engine with bad seals from the factory.

Current engine just hit 70k and the compression is still good. I do premix with idemitsu though.

I feel like you said 'one old man owner' as a lie to cover up the fact that we are all going to tell you that rotary engines were a stupid fucking idea and you should set aside cash for apex seal replacements.

Get a Miata instead

>old mans car

eah just like every used car ever according to dealers

Buying it privately from said old man is proof enough right? The guy has all white hair and uses a cane.

Doesn’t mean it was treated right, but the owner certainly is old.

Do it. Compression test normal, clean car, $5500. Whats to lose? If anything a year later you'll have to rotary swap. Just use premix and rev the shit out of it all the time.

If you are in eastern europe then I wouldnt trust that neither

I’m a total Mazda fanboy and even I say there are way better options than the rx8 for your money. Also this
This so much. THIS. SO. MUCH.

>Current engine just hit 70k and the compression is still good
Nice, hopefully you can at least get 100k out of it. Sounds like you might make it.

The triangle might fuck you in the long run, but come on, its a rx8, good times all around.

It's an absolutely amazing car. They're fun to drive and have spectacular handling for the price, and even regardless of price they hold their own in the corners. Throw on some nice wide, sticky tires and you've got a car to absolutely rule the touge. It has plenty of power for the street as long as you don't plan on drag racing like an unskilled idiot. If you keep it on the touge and play the gears to keep rpm high you will almost never feel a need for more power. It never struggles to pass or get up to freeway speeds, even on shorter on ramps or up hills.

It just doesn't hurt to have about 3-4k sitting in a new engine fund if you don't know how it was treated, but really in 21k miles the previous owner would have had a hard time toasting it. You should easily be able to get it to 100,000 with premix and good maintenance regardless of how it was treated. Plus, as long as compression is acceptable you should be able to pretty much bring the wear to a dead stop if you treat the engine right.

First steps would be making sure it has an up to date ECU flash, full ignition system, and an oil change with idemitsu rotary synthetic oil, in addition to premixing with idemitsu rotary premix. From there, just go through replacing all of the wear components and fluids. Anything rubber like hoses and belts might as well be replaced just due to age, and it never does any harm to have all fresh trans/diff/brake/coolant fluids. Preventative maintenance is your friend with an RX-8, since total failure of almost any part can make the somewhat picky engine decide to commit sudoku.

As a second/third vehicle it would be amazing, since you can drive it only for good hooning runs on weekends and have no issues with keeping up on maintenance. I've figured a running cost of mine of about a US quarter per mile, and at least one weekend of maintenance for every 2000 miles as an average. I for one hope you go through with it and thoroughly enjoy your new car!

Most likely, it hasn't even begun to have hot start issues yet and I'm still using the slower oem starter.