youtube.com/watch?v=M8qIckMsx4g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i refuse to post progress with this anime shit in op

>Demoday
>Not gonna make it

Diejobu

it's okay user, you don't have progress to post

what's your game

If I draw fanart for DD16 will you forgive my sins /agdg/?

yes

Thanks m8.

>Ffnal test on the actual hardware
>framerate goes to shit sometimes
I no longer care
I just don't
run at 20 fps, see if I care

>see if I care
you will when people start bitching and your games name and rep are in the ground.

This thread is for amateurs, not people developing AAA games for consoles.

Not dead yet, however close to it I was.
Demo will be ready for DD, but it's gonna be missing some reworking I wanted to do (mainly to how the enemy flashing works). I also wanted to ask the thread for last minuet feature requests but there ain't time for that.

almost ready

The new Wolfenstein looks bretty gud

That's pretty bright

>AAA games
"All around awful" maybe

i should probably turn down the basic material, you're right.

>READY FOR DEMO DAY?
I spent the afternoon making a map before realizing it's way too big and it's also shit.
Placing stuff in UE4 is a fucking chore. I'm probably gonna go to sleep real late tonight.
Also some of my sfx suck and I can't afford to spend more time on it.
I don't have music either for fucks sake

>Placing stuff in UE4 is a fucking chore
Is it? I found the level editor one of its strong points compared to unity?

>Demo will be ready for DD
hey
that's pretty cool

reposting monday recap deathmatch
post progress next monday for a chance to be featured in the next episode :)
youtu.be/ZqbWZI0iqRE

where is your hair

I hate the BSP tools, you've got only a handful of primitives, and start doing garbage for no real reason. I've had half of my level's geometry disappear because I put a plane at one place.
Also the editor offsets everything you duplicate, which sometimes throw stuff out of your own grid, and you can't toggle that off.
I think I'm just gonna make a level in blender, segment the geometry and import back because I don't want to deal with this shit again.

Also for some reason I can't import my sfx, AND the output log isn't showing up.

missing like my progress for this week

Ah, understandable. If you're using BSP I don't think there are any modern engines with good tools

Yeah the BSP tools aren't great, you shouldn't really be using them extensively.
If you closed the output log you can get a new one on Window > Developer tools.

UE4 is getting a new set thankfully.

You're pretty cool, user.

What game is this exactly?

Every engine besides rpg maker and maybe hammer has a shit level editor.

Anyways, like everyone else I have an excuse as to why I'll be missing demo day. I'd love to go home tonight and grind it out for 48 hours but I have friends coming over tonight to play DnD and I'm day drinking with other friends tomorrow. Truly my life sucks, woe is me.

I don't really get why they designed the BSP tools that way to begin with, honestly all I'd want with them is the basic functionalities of any 3D modeling software. I don't think I'd need more than Subdivide/Loop cut/Extrude/Merge/Dissolve (having made that list now it seems extensive)
Also figured out the problem with audio import, UE4 only accepts imports with a specific export settings (which I find weird but whatever)

I'm really curious about your demo, not just because it looks good but also because I have some doubts about how the visuals feel when playing. My eyes suck and I always get confused with simpler visuals so I hope it's not the case here.

Is he made of Styrofoam?
pls get an animator.

Please redo that boss it looks awful. Your animations are trash not sure why you brag about 3D when the animations and models are so shit

why not just have the boss's "feet" spin how bokube does?

Please stop zooming in on it's legs, it looks extrermely amateurish, no reason to highlight that.

this doesn't look like a walk, more like some kind of float with leg support

The real question is: to post my complete yet tiny proof of concept or to let demo day pass me by (again).

Please use that kickstarter money to get an artist you arent good at design or art fucking idiot.

Because BSP is inefficient compared to static meshes and is considered 'outdated' as a method of designing levels, so they/others don't put much effort/forgo them entirely.

The new UE4 ones are looking pretty swish though, not sure when they'll be finished. You can get the WiP on github.

Unity: I have a public field in a MonoBehaviour that's using a custom class. How can I assign that field to a child/derived version of the custom class? I can only set it as the base type.

just like post game

It looks fine. Don't let these fags get you down.

Why is the giant penis chasing that bunny? I thought this was an 'E'-rated game.

better graphics than 90% of agg dagg honestly

cute

I've got a bunch of options to try and alleviate that, but it really is easier to keep track of yourself when your in control, which can't really be conveyed in per-recorded webms.

You can even turn the background all the way off if you really wanted to.

In C#, what's the code for destroying a specific child object?

You can only destroy an object if the class is IDisposable.

Otherwise, Garbage Collection will destroy it on its own when it's no longer used.

can i turn off the enemies

Would anons be interested in short review videos for Demo Day? I'd stream and review but I don't trust my streaming abilities to keep up with the different display modes and sizes

What does this mean? I don't understand...
I want to destroy a certain child of my enemy object, if the enemy reaches a certain health threshold. Is this not possible? I think it should be..

>let demo day pass me by
no
> (again)
NO

Demo day isn't about posting a good demo for people to play, its about you working under a deadline to actually produce an executable that can be distributed

>What does this mean? I don't understand...

Yes, it's impossible.

>Because BSP is inefficient compared to static meshes and is considered 'outdated' as a method of designing levels, so they/others don't put much effort/forgo them entirely.
Really ? I find that weird, it seems like much less hassle to do everything directly in engine as opposed to importing/testing/going back to the engine/rince and repeat.
I guess there's modular assets and the like but I haven't tried anything like it yet.

I've seen it. Not sure how they'll work out, Overwatch has a bunch of different options for brightness/contrast/gamma/colourblind mode but I still haven't found how to properly set them.
We'll see tomorrow.

Is this in unity? If it is please up your Google skills if you want to stick at this long.

Real talk: there is nothing wrong with (some) game journos being shit at games. A journo is more useful to their audience if they're similar to their audience. Casuals are an audience.

Inefficient in terms of game performance, not iteration speed.

YOU SUCK AND I HATE YOU
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I know people joke but devs send Game Journalists demos that are easier/with unlocked content already so they don't have trouble playing their games.

You need to
1. Find a reference to the child GameObject. Lots of methods for this, probably what you want is to store a reference on the enemy script.
2. Destroy(theChildGameObject);

You have to delete them one at a time, sorry.
You can turn off the difficulty with certain key combinations though

The first game (or I guess it's not in the same series anymore...) actually has a game journalist mode that gives you unlimited everything. It also calls you a baby child when you beat the final boss.

I never had a problem with Overwatch's visuals granted I kinda don't like it as a game... so I'm interested to see what you think tomorrow.

Anyone?

Imagine something like Monster -> Goblin, if I have public Monster monster in a MonoBehaviour, how can I actually set it to a Goblin in the inspector?

I thought this face was Madoka but then I remembered they were both made by Shaft

>red ship
>red projectiles
>red explosions
>red background

user please

>It also calls you a baby child when you beat the final boss.
Bad move. Why insult people for being bad at video games?

Ok guys, I want you to level with me
How many of you have a web version tomorrow
I don't want to be the only dweeb uploading something to play in a browser, makes my game look like a silly flash game in comparison

I'm just taking Overwatch as an example, it happens with half of every game I play. It's the only game where there are settings to "see better" that I know of.
For a weird reason it doesn't happen with Touhou, except for a few patterns like Meiling's or Kaguya's (so basically rainbow showers).
Anyway I digress. Back to work.

Wolfenstein does it and people love it.

Demo Day 16 is gonna be steamy

People changed.

It still does it, and a new one comes out in 2 months and does it.

stick to the pond, frogeee

Either drag a Goblin gameobject into the slot, or click the circle next to the monster field and select a goblin. Either way you need a gameobject with a goblin component to already exist inthe level

r8 my pixel snail

But it's not a GameObject or a MonoBehaviour, it's just data like a float or bool or whatever.

Iduknow, I love that shit.
If a game beats me into the dirt it encourages me to beat it back, if it coddles me with 'turn down the difficulty!' it just makes me frustrated.

Shmoop 1 may have gone a little far though.

wud fug

>The leather club is two blocks down
FUCK YOU

Does anyone know why I don't get this method? Do I need Unity Pro or something?

It's inside Camera, not Transform. Change your public Transform camera to public Camera camera.

i know nothing of c$ but did you write camera = UnityEngine.Transform; anywhere?

In order to assign things via the inspector, the class has to extend from MonoBehaviour, or be a primitive type, or I think you can write your own property inspector for your non-behaviour custom class I think

but just make monster extend from monobehaviour

i strongly suspect this is shit
youtube.com/watch?v=M8qIckMsx4g

also this is my first time uploading something on youtube as an MP4 and it looks shit

Ok I'll look into property inspectors, thank you. If I derive from MonoBehaviour, then I have to create a GameObject and you wouldn't create a whole GameObject just to have a bool or something.

>Pepsiman heil hitler's a robot, what happens next will amaze you!

>the atmosphere of a minimalists 2deep game
>the dialogue of a cheesy b-shonen
>""""""ghosts""""" are literally just a recolor of the protag
>""""""combat"""""""" is non-existent
literally what the fuck is this?

the next HLD

Im planning on having my character move differently depending on what weapon im using. Should I put most of the animations like each walk cycle in one layer of mecanim or across multiple?

I think you can change the color of your ship and projectiles in the options, if I remember correctly from like 50 threads ago

>shadows are left to right
>trees still have shadows on the "bottom" of their leaves
Herewegoagain.jpg

>you wouldn't create a whole GameObject just to have a bool
no, but you'd create a gameobject for a Goblin. The best part of unity is having a built-in level editor

I create individual gameobjects for each AI action, so I can just click on it to see whats its state, where do its variables point, etc.

>pixel art should be properly normalmapped

>the dialogue of a cheesy b-shonen
i literally wrote in in 5 minutes
>""""""combat"""""""" is non-existent
it's CRPG combat without activated abilities
>literally what the fuck is this?
idk anymore...

That was just an example. It's closer to like if I had a float and then had a my_float : float.

>Genuine question, why not just use tiled?
Super late response, but it's because it's going to be a built in level editor for a new project I'm just fucking around with. This isn't for my main game, I'm just using the sprites as placeholders

>first demo day in 6 demo days I'll miss

I'll make it up with a great next demo ;__;

>everyone will be like "who?"

>I'll miss
Only if theres a bug that stops it from running

Lack of content, lack of progress, lack of stability aren't valid reasons. You are not excused.

deservedly

I'll try my best user