The saga of my Plymouth Horizon comes to an end, perhaps

Ahh, it was too good to be true. There is simply no way I can get my Horizon road-legal (pass emissions) without extensive work. And, I really do need a car which is safe and drives well in the snow. The Horizon is neither.
So, this Plymouth and I will have to part one way or another. It still drives great and I love it to death, but life is life and sometimes these glorious shitboxes just don't fit in with our everyday lives particularly well.

I really don't know how to phrase this without sounding advertise-y, but I would be glad to give someone on Veeky Forums the opportunity to continue the Horizon adventure and take it off my unfortunately somewhat incompetent hands before I put it back up on CL. I live in Colorado around Denver.
Yeah, I guess this really is just an advertisement. But I know that someone on here would want to take care of it... Veeky Forums has always been super supportive, from the very beginning of me purchasing this simple '87 hatchback.

Thanks again for everything, Veeky Forums

Attached: sadness.png (1526x1364, 3.43M)

Fuck off you furfag reddit infused rcr dicksucking fanboy of arguably one of the dullest cars ever made, kill yourself

oh

Attached: vroom.jpg (1870x1388, 2.38M)

What work does it need done to pass? I thought 25 yr old vehicles were exempt?

That sucks, man.
What does it need to pass and can you hang in to it as a project?

air pump is totally seized and the starter issue (90% sure the drive pinion gear is warped or something) means that they simply cannot conduct the 2-speed idle test. Now maybe you have access to a more lenient testing place, but I can't find one.

Attached: tiny wheels.png (1556x678, 1.85M)

to elaborate, the air pump is a simple $120 part to replace. But the starter issue requires the engine to be taken out, as it's crammed in next to the tranny.

I don't have the space to hold onto it as a project (I would if I could!) that's the downside of having a single parking spot where I live ;(

Attached: snow.png (2042x998, 3.62M)

I guess you could say there is no nope...

on the Horizon.

Attached: old_ass_meme.jpg (449x287, 25K)

Aaaargh. That's super frustrating, user.
I know those feels when you just have to give up on a project. I had to give up on my old Beetle back in the day, sold it to my cousin and he finished the resto on it so at least I know it got loved.

the thing is, it's not even that much of a "project"! Sure, it needs new tires and a lot of brake work (vacuum lines and interior could get some attention too) but it drives fantastic. It's just this silly starter problem that prevents me from actually getting plates for the darn thing.

Attached: it's the same as a dodge omni you know.jpg (2422x1422, 3.06M)

I guess its last Sunset is on the Horizon

Attached: dr eville.jpg (500x500, 28K)

is a cute car op. wish you keep keep it and keep it alive

no.
fuck you

thanks, I really do want to

Attached: 3-speed is all you need.jpg (1666x1250, 2.03M)

Having to pull the motor to replace the starter doesn't sound right at all. This image is for a dodge omni but I believe it applies.

Also the air pumps always seize up, just cut the belt.

You should still be able to manage to pass emissions is it FI or carb'd?

Attached: pic-2756301975770199401-1600x1200[1].jpg (900x1200, 400K)

FI. I've been driving it without the air pump belt on since the day I bought it. But they check under the hood to make sure nothing major is tampered with at the test place... they'd notice.

I should have been more clear with the starter issue: the starter *motor* is likely fine. But one of the gears which connects to the serpentine belt has the problem (I think); that particular gear is back in an unreachable place. Two separate techs I've talked to said it would be an engine-pull deal.

Now, my noviceness is probably showing through here and I understand that. I've tried to really diagnose the starter problem, but it's just one of those things where I can't pin it specifically down. Half the time it works fine, and then the other half of the time there are four separate things which happen when I turn the ignition:

a) belt scream sound and the serpentine belt which goes to the alternator moves a bit. engine doesn't turn over even once (alternator seems fine)
b) belt stays still and it makes a totally different, low-pitched internal sound. engine remains still again
b) belt moves and it makes a different sound, and the engine turns over twice then dies. cranking it again then results in b)
d) same as b) but this time the serpentine belt seizes up and requires an ungodly amount of force to move. Then cranking results in a), which allows you to get to b)

it's all very strange

Oop, have two b's there. Also, situation d) sometimes results in it just starting, I misspoke there. Have to move the belt 1"

get a load of this newfag

Does you state have a classics exemption for emissions?

76 is the cutoff

This saddens me deeply Horizon-san...

I wish you the best of luck on your hunt for the next shitbox, remind Veeky Forums of your venture into the Horizon and I'm sure we can help you with your next car.

Attached: tmp_19411-15213024771571339854157.jpg (736x562, 108K)

Dont worry horizon man, that plymouth will roll along the highways all the way until the end of time, waiting for an owner that can care for her proper.

I know the feeling of only having a cute 80s box for just a few months. And those few months are the best of times, you get to know the car so well. The electrical gremlins, things that are fucked, things that run just right. Its a special relationship. But then it has to go, for one reason or another. I truely do understand. You want someone to take care of her.

I sold my box, it became a parts car. I deeply regret it as I know the soul of that little bucket was torn to shreds. If you truely cared about that horizon, perhaps you could reconsider selling it? Do you have nowhere to store it until you can work on it properly?

If not, I will miss seeing your threads. Its been nice. Best of luck on your future endevours and hopefully the horizon goes to a good home.

Goodspeed you glorious square bastard.

Attached: I_Miss_It.jpg (1412x918, 310K)

I'll give you twenty bucks for it.

Lemons.

Thanks guys

I'm so glad I live somewhere with no emission testing. Now the mandatory safety inspection means it's impossible to sell my car...

MA?

So how much would you want for this car if you were to get rid of it? I'm in need of a daily with good fuel econ. I can't spend very much as I'm working on my rx7 right now, but I might be interested.
Id love to have another autistic 80's child to take care of. I live in Kentucky so the only inspection I have is windshield cracks and lights. My unmuffled miata passed with flying colors lmao

>good fuel econ
oh jeez, I'm not sure this car is for you. It's rated for ~22 mpg. Tiny tank as well; like $30 fills it up to 85%.
I'm pretty sure it would make it to Kentucky just fine. Would want to stop every so often; it gets a bit hot (radiator is tiny). Still, that's a 20 hour drive right there. You willing to do that?

upon further examination it seems to be the flex plate is the source of the issue...I think

no its gonna get crushed bud. OP was its last hope.

If the price is right I could justify flying to Colorado and buying horizon-san. I would be really sad to see horison-san go away so is love to carry the torch.

Just keep it as a project car and get a shitbox civic or something. No one is gonna buy that for any good amount of money

don't have anywhere to put it. Paying for a car unit would be expensive relative to what I see the (tangible) value of it is.

[email protected] let's talk? If you're gonna consider flying out to keep her you better know all of the details

>don't have anywhere to pu..
ment to reply to

Alright I sent you an email.

Fuck, OP. I’d offer to buy her off too but I’m in a pretty tight spot for car money myself.

This is my favorite car of all time, along with the Chevette

The beauty of The Internet right here, ladies and gentlemen.

I once randomly tried to buy a SNES on Craigslist one night, 2 friends and I drove 30 miles to meet a guy in a Target parking lot at 10:30pm

$40 for the system and cables, 2 cotrollers and a copy of Super Mario World. Everything worked great.

Simply amazing what you can do online.

drive it anyways.

good. tired of having this shitbox spammed in every thread

Attached: 1517290105742.jpg (1200x1453, 1.25M)

nah don't worry I'lll spam my next car in every thread too :^)

Attached: beep beep.png (1666x1218, 3.38M)

Is the emissions test one of the "pay a Mexican to do some cable fuckery that will enable shitboxes to pass" I've read about on Veeky Forums?

nope, it's a true test of the actual emissions the car puts out. They have a machine that hooks up to the exhaust, and it spits out a pass/fail

$100

Hmmm br/o/s idk if I should go through with this. Is a Plymouth horizon worth driving back from Denver to cincinati?

>'87 hatchback
This car would just skate by southern Ontario emissions testing, which is anything made after 1988. If the underbody was in good shape, it would be fine up here in this province. Haven't seen one of these cars in a long time, they all rusted away.

Ye need contingency plans at least

NC got tired of paying for the sniffer machine calibration for shops, so now 1995 and older are safety only.

Only if you bring back a few Oz's with you.

>driving across five states without a license plate, with weed
bruh

I thought you was cool op but you just suck. give it to someone who can appreciate a real shitbox.

Attached: 1517776972762.jpg (2118x1600, 3.15M)

I flew last time and just mailed it back lel

Attached: 1492056844447.png (275x276, 187K)

How am I not doing that? I’m offering it to someone on Veeky Forums first before putting it on CL.

I do appriciate it, but I simply don’t have the space to keep a second car.

>can't pass emissions without extensive work. And, I really do need a car which is safe and drives well in the snow. The Horizon is neither.

yeah no shit dude, don't know what the fuck you were thinking

t. Denver fag

I didn't do enough research beforehand, yeah. The Horizon passed emissions in both 2016 and early 2017 before I purchased it; I just didn't think to see if it would pass again when I bought it. I don't do much driving in the winter anyways... Still, it's been a fun adventure with it.

what research is there to do, it's obviously an atrocious tin can piece of shit from the 80's that has no hopes of being safe, reliable, or enjoyable in any conceivable way

inb4 muh comfy

I think i saw it for like $900 on craigs, i suppose you can't do much better for less than a grand

it was comfy (and enjoyable) though, the seats are extremely squishy.

just realized I drove this lovable little shitheap for a year because muh comfy

didn't mean to be a jerk user I'm just PISSED OFF

Attached: perfection.jpg (3126x2124, 1.19M)

erudite

What country?

It's so square, I love it. meet the 1990 lincoln town car

Attached: 38243200001_original.jpg (2560x1920, 931K)

>It's so square

as square as it looks, there wasn't a flat surface on the car

photos don't do it justice but man that car was so elegantly sculpted when you really studied it
the hood and roof were both masterpieces metal stamping, and the flank of the car had a protrusion of sorts running the whole length starting from the headlights

so many nice lines on the car
like Alfa Romeo good

I was actually considering buying one of those for my next shitbox but it's just not an LS400

USA baby, nice trips

Attached: IMG_0350.jpg (4032x3024, 2.07M)

That's what give it structural integrity and a high crash safety rating.

beautiful