Why aren't gears hardened through a heating process to prevent them from stripping out like this? Too expensive?

Why aren't gears hardened through a heating process to prevent them from stripping out like this? Too expensive?

Attached: gears 267.jpg (1200x900, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=where to buy 101 level textbook
abmpk.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/book_maretial-science-callister.pdf
lmgtfy.com/?q=good restaurants near my house
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yep, too expensive. They expect proper tranny maintenance to prevent such things

Planned obsolescence.
If it's built too well, you'll never buy a new car again.

Most lower range gears are.
It's pointless on higher gears and overdrive because there's just no real reason to when the shit economy engine only makes 100ftlbs torque

cuz you give gears that cyro treatment if you really care about longevity and strength

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 12K)

If they're hard they're less able to cope with shock.

>lel why cant they make them not brake
They were made properly, op. The problem is you're not using that trans for what it's intended to do.

From what I know the hardening process also causes steel to become more brittle, which is actually what your picture is showing.

Hardness is only good for surface wear, but when it comes to impact/fracture resistance, it is brittleness that governs. I think it relates to thermal-induced tension in the surface of the steel which happens when it is rapidly cooled (i.e. quenching). But I could be wrong on that.

these anons got it

They are hardened, but not through a heating process. The outside of the gear is hardened through a process called carburizing or case hardening. Carbon atoms diffuse to interstitial sites between iron atoms and "lock" the planes of iron and put the crystal structure in compression. The problem isn't that the gears weren't hard enough, you just weren't using the transmission properly.

t. mechanical engineering student currently studying materials science & engineering

Attached: Fig3-Tooth80mmMacro.jpg (800x550, 101K)

mong

What people don't realize is the harder you make something the more brittle it becomes. Glass is one of the hardest materials around. It's far from the toughest and most durable

Nissan transmissions are just shit.

Err doesn't carburising specifically use a heating process?

Manual cucks BTFO

This is correct. You also have more expensive alloys to make a better transmission, but no retard average Joe bothers to check what metal was used when he buys a car so you end up buying bullshit metal

Just get a sequential straight-cut gear box and be done with it.

Honestly this, straight cut gears can handle a lot more force

>WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

i was told that cars dont use straight cut gears because they are loud as fuck

Helical gears are just as strong. What you're looking for is a dogbox.

It's heated but not to the extent of heat treatment.

Straight cut gears can't handle as much force as helical gears because they have less mechanical engagement than helicals.

>t. mechanical engineering student currently studying materials science & engineering
Can you recommend any books about materials science? I'm looking for a reference for identifying materials and their properties.

>can you recommend me a book on [incredibly wide subject]
lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=where to buy 101 level textbook

transmission gears are typically carburized (usually 8620 alloy steel), and for a reason

carburization gives an extremely hard exterior, roughly low 60's on the HRC scale, or about equivalent to a ball bearing. this allows the gears to go fucking.for.ever. without getting the least bit warn out. the root of the gear teeth is still softish, i.e. tough, which means the tear are less likely to shatter from being brittle. this is because carburization only hardens to a depth of around ~0.060"

some times gears are made of a through hardening alloy (4340, 4140, 300M) and oil quenched and tempered for a through hardness. this issue with this is that as the gear gets harder, it also gets more brittle. You can only Q&T 4340 up to mid 50's on the HRC scale, and the result is a very brittle gear tooth that can shatter. if you want the toughest possible gear, you might only harden to around HRC 45, which will leave you with a stronger gear than a carburized 8620 gear, but it is softer and thus it wont last as long as the carburized gear

t. - i made a little gear reduction transaxle in college for my schools SAE baja team

pic is of some gears i made for the transaxle. they were 4340 quenched and tempered to HRC 45. we wanted max strenght and didnt give 2 shits about longevity since the car would be cut up and scrapped before it ever had a thousand miles on it

Attached: gearz.jpg (1750x981, 359K)

>can you recomment me any good restaurants in this city
HURR DURR GOOGLE RESTAURANTS IN THIS CITY

this is the one we're using

abmpk.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/book_maretial-science-callister.pdf

>HURR DURR GOOGLE RESTAURANTS IN THIS CITY
lmgtfy.com/?q=good restaurants near my house

Why not just make all the gears out of diamond?
Problem solved

true, diamond is the hardest metal after all

excuse me, the hardest metal is actually Death Grips

You say it like that's a bad thing

You see shit like this in military grade stuff though. Meant to carry tons and last for a hundred years. Hell, stuff from Vietnam and older are still fine and working.

"military grade" is a bullshit thing and doesnt exist except for in electronics, where it is actually not the highest grade and mostly refers to temperatures it can withstand and still work normally

i bet you have some bullshit cucc trucc you bought because the commercial said MILITARY GRADE ALUMINUM and then immediately took it to get squatted and have its diff welded solid

Attached: squat truck.jpg (1280x720, 93K)

Thanks. I won't read it all but I'll find appendix B and D useful.

"military grade" actually means the cheapest and fastest

And built by the lowest bidder.

>mfw idiots like OP don't know shit about metallurgy basics like brittleness or ductility but still feel like they need to make uninformed comments as such like they're the fucking authority on it

You don't know shit OP, shut the fuck up

A flexy case can be just as much, if not more of a problem, than the gears themselves. Applied torque drives the gears apart, if the case isn't strong enough to keep the shafts together you get the same result.

Check out machinery's handbook 30th edition

Not him, but you're a cock

Helical geare are stronger, however, straight cut gears reduce friction losses.

Brittle failure doesn't look like paste. Peices snap off, but don't deform much. The remains of those gears are definitely wider than they should be, so the picture shows deformation and thus not a brittle failure.

Because diamond is heavy as fuck. one gram of diamond weighs something like 15 grams.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

its an old joke you dip

Attached: 288410472464777216.png (112x112, 12K)