Why are there no independent car engine manufacturers like there are for semis?

Why are there no independent car engine manufacturers like there are for semis?

Attached: cat.jpg (2048x1360, 310K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cat.com/en_US/products/new/power-systems/electric-power-generation/diesel-generator-sets/18503929.html
youtu.be/XxqTLwpTpq8?t=154
roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a10402473/there-are-12-brand-new-unsold-lexus-lfas-sitting-at-dealerships-across-the-country/
youtube.com/watch?v=XxWjtWONuGc
youtube.com/watch?v=p6D7S2rcyIQ
mercuryracing.com/automotive/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because it's usually infinitely easier to swap a semi engine

imagine the torks

Cat doesn't even make highway engines

What do you mean? Plenty of manufacturers do deals with other manufacturers to supply engines the same way equipment manufacturers get other equipment manufacturers like Caterpillar to supply powerplants.
Funnily a lot of the smaller Caterpillar® engines are Mitsubishis and most of the medium Caterpillar® engines are just Perkins painted yellow.
Inter manufacturer supply happens all the time.

Like cummins?

My buddy has a peterbuilt with a cat and 1 million miles with no overhaul

>imagine
I don't have to.
cat.com/en_US/products/new/power-systems/electric-power-generation/diesel-generator-sets/18503929.html
4000 kW is achieved at 1500 RPM.
That's 25.5 kNm. Or 18782 ft-lb in retard units.
And that's assuming there's zero losses in the converter and drivetrain...
Also: 105L displacement...

>Forced induction

Attached: 93F43AED-F1C7-427F-8657-EDDE7FAEB944.jpg (229x220, 19K)

Cats suck ass

How do I swap this into my miata?

Attached: A9C28F6A-98CB-427D-B88A-F9588B9CF22B.jpg (640x360, 47K)

Attached: retart.jpg (2048x1024, 102K)

>Cats suck ass
>Look at me I'm being edgy

Attached: 71f050da_X0b2fxp.jpg (720x960, 128K)

Jesus

>what is Cummins

First, find a suitable turbo.

Attached: Turbo.jpg (1440x1440, 434K)

>Gently persuaded induction

Not a very good example. Cummins only makes engine for big trucks and has close deals with Dodge now

Great now I am going to fap over this

I hope your happy

Attached: 1513176468850.png (600x600, 140K)

>courteous induction

Because all car companies are greedy fucks who much rather put out a shitty engine in their car rather than ask a reliable manufacturer to make them an engine.

Well there's hundreds of companies that build aftermarket blocks and parts for most V8's. Lots of companies build boat engines.

Attached: Sonny_1005.jpg (799x499, 70K)

>cosworth

Yamaha made the Lexus 5.0 V8

youtu.be/XxqTLwpTpq8?t=154

Wait till you hear it howl to life, gets any hillbilly down on one knee

Attached: 874236.jpg (2722x1626, 425K)

Why doesn't Yamaha manufacture more reliable, state of the art engine for other manufacturers? you could have cars easily go for 2 million miles, if their engines are extremely well built and well tested by a specialty third-party, instead of haphazardly rushed by a company that sucks at it and needs to invest money elsewhere.

Every car that Yamaha has laid their hands on has wound up failing miserably.

Thicc

I wanna see one in a mad Max style road train with 20 wheels in fury road 2

>i need to be euthanized: the post

Attached: lfa.jpg (640x480, 128K)

Because most engine developers for car engines don't build them themselves, they just do the research for the builders, like FEV does for example (they took the Mazda DISI and turned it into the Ecoboost).

This especially applies to small automotive diesels, everybody buys somebody else's diesel engines because development is too damn expensive to be worth it.

Yamaha is a great example of using their other knowledge (motorcycles, air instruments) to develop top-end packages for Lexus, Toyota, Volvo, and someobody else I'm forgetting.

Replacing Crank bearings every 300k sucks, yes

>Intake on the outside
>Exhaust on the inside
Who made a hot-V first, car manufacturers or big diesel?

Ford

>Only makes 400hp
>In a car weighing 2 tonne
Yawn I hope some nutcase puts that Yammy v8 350 into a 86

>Taurus SHO never existed
Lol okay

>LFA
>Hasn't failed

I love the LFA, it's prolly my fav car, but u can't rlly call it a triumph

That's the piece of shit I was talking about. Yamaha touched it and it wound up being slower than a $50k Camaro.

roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a10402473/there-are-12-brand-new-unsold-lexus-lfas-sitting-at-dealerships-across-the-country/

What did it manage to achieve? It was pigfat and slow.

Still no criticism over the engine

youtube.com/watch?v=XxWjtWONuGc
Literally who cares about numbers when it has a V10 engine that sounds like an orchestra and redlines at 9k like this? I'll take it over a 50k camaro even if it went like a dump truck

Attached: LFA.jpg (1732x1292, 172K)

Guys a moron Yamaha engines are based in fact most bike engines are except for Harley trash

Shit wrong link
here you go youtube.com/watch?v=p6D7S2rcyIQ

Wasn’t slow when they came out. They were excellent sleepers for the era. Probably still faster than your bus too.

Judd and Ilmor are two off the top of my head.

>12.5 Bar BMEP
You can buy a naturally aspirated screamer of a Mustang off the showroom floor with a 14 Bar BMEP for about a sixth of the price. Nearly the same redline too, nearly the same power.

>But muh sound!
Objectively worse than a straight-piped Mercedes V12.

>But muh revs!
So buy a 400cc supersport then, they scream twice as hard, twice as creamy, with a redline twice as high.

The LFA was a mediocre GT with a good engine - for car standards. A well-executed LS swap is objectively an upgrade in anything but sound and RPM, and there's certainly better V10's out there.

>LFA
>Sleeper
Pick one.

The LFA was never meant to be a "value" car like you seem to judge it by. That's your problem.

>LFA
>sleeper
Would you kindly point out where I called the LFA a sleeper?

Neither was it a performance car - so what is it, except a halo GT?

My bad, I thought that linked to the LFA discussion.

The LFA is 400 pounds lighter than the mustang

>that many turbos
compensating for something kiddo?

The Mustang is 300K USD cheaper. I'm sure I can make a Mustang 400lbs lighter with 50K in carbon fibre parts, or just removing an average American from behind the steering wheel.

Have you ever heard one in real life? They're not that impressive. Neither is 9000rpm when that 1005ci (16+ liter) revs to 8000 with pushrods...

The problem with talking about modifications is now we could just get a Civic that beats both in every way.

Let's see it

>39.8m/s piston speed
Jesus

I bet you only listened to the exhaust from the outside and judged on that. What Yamaha did was pump real sound through a funnel connected to the engine into the cabin (not the speakers), Yamaha turned the engine into a literal musical instrument. The LFA is a sophisticated engineering masterpiece made by extremely intelligent perfectionists. Nothing someone who compares it to a 'Camaro' would understand

Attached: OtTs_0.jpg (672x448, 151K)

While on the subject of Yamaha instruments, I really like my Yamaha electric grand piano.

I can guarantee that my Yamaha literbike with variable intakes just inches off my balls sounds better than the inside of that hyper-up Toyota.

Yamaha makes excellent musical instruments, they're master of airflow. I can't really seem to find an entry-level flute that matches their quality. Same for their bikes, they have the same kind of feel about them that Honda's used to have. Their automotive products are excellent, but in comparison to their bikes and musical stuff, they are mediocre.

I guess you've never been to a track/strip

The opposite actually.

I guess you've never seen the interior of a LFA

I've been to NAIAS

Show me a civic that can compete on all fronts

Tracking a car is retarded. You'll have way more fun Go-Karting with your friends, and a Go-Kart is designed for the track from the ground up. Leave the cars for the road.

Attached: AN5W1742.jpg (1500x1000, 415K)

I'm part of formula sae, so I know that realm too.

Is there anything you aren't?

A faggot. I've said two facts about myself, don't get flustered

>consentual induction

cosworth, ford, GM, VAG, AMG,

>ford, GM, VAG, AMG,
They're not independent and they don't sell engines.
>cosworth
Can you go into their website and buy an in-house engine that they made?

>GM
On Chevy's website you can outright buy crate engines

Yamaha is literally the only company that makes everything they touch better

There isn't a single engine they laid their hands on that has a bad reputation

Now I know you're just memeing

Not true, they manufacture powerplants for HD, fullsize and compact pickups (Foton Tunland)

Attached: braaaaap.jpg (500x269, 14K)

those things cost so damn much

go karts ain't as cool as my mustang though

This is now a Yamaha thread.

Post Yamaha related things.

Attached: F455AAA4-CA78-4832-8AE4-5733C09F8879.jpg (3264x2448, 2.28M)

>What is it, except a halo GT?

Does it really need to be anything else? Let's be reminded that this is a LEXUS, at the end of the day they've never been the fastest and honestly it's kind of insane that people are comparing it to stuff like the Viper or Mustang when it really shouldn't be.

You want to know what an LFA is REALLY meant to be compared to? It's real competition is with cars like the Maybach Excelero or a coach built Ferrari. It's about build, about technology and engineering prowess. It's, as you said, a halo GT, representing the tip top of what Lexus is capable of producing. And it fucking trounces it's competition by those metrics.

Attached: 18nbitfxhrxn8jpg.jpg (800x533, 67K)

those turbos give me bonders

I think you are asking for Veeky Forumss 1994 eg civic build to be posted

I heard of their engines after seeing them in some nice drag race cars. Just for giggles decided to check out their website thinking it was going to be $15-20k for their snowflake engines.
>$57,000.00 USD
Like, what? Who is buying $50k+ engines for race cars? Its just like the custom 2JZGTE blocks for $35k which doesn't even include any of the internals.

I understand there are groups who make an income out of winning races, but thats generally because they have a speed shop that makes these retardedly expensive things, and they sell 1 every other year to buy another corvette or skyline to gut and rebuild.

There is one exception to that rule. The Yamaha built V8 SHO engine. The Cam sprockets will walk on the camshafts, throw off the timing and put a valve into the piston. Not good when the engine is worth twice as much as the Taurus body that it is in. Buddy of mine had one and had the sprockets welded to the cams to prevent this.

The lc500 weighs 2 tonnes mate

Because OP doesnt know how to research?

mercuryracing.com/automotive/

Clap clap you've figured out that it costs money go go fast in the 1/4. You think it's easy and cheap to get 2200 all fucking motor HP out of anything? Those $50k crate engines are turnkey solutions with a warranty that you can almost daily drive. That's not happening with some 2J on 90psi.

>you could have cars easily go for 2 million miles, if their engines are extremely well built and well tested by a specialty third-party, instead of haphazardly rushed by a company that sucks at it and needs to invest money elsewhere.
you do realize that the company that makes the engine then needs to sell it to the other company at a profit, right? you haven't just lifehacked capitalism, people still want to reduce costs