I suffer from a rare but serious form of autism that requires me to opt for complicated and potentially unreliable...

I suffer from a rare but serious form of autism that requires me to opt for complicated and potentially unreliable powertrains that require monitoring and optimization. Do modern plug-in hybrids like the Honda Clarity/Chevy Volt/etc. require this sort of attention, or do they just drive like normal cars that sound a little funky?

Attached: clarity.jpg (862x503, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bs8CS004ZvQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They just drive like normal cars, and they're pretty damned reliable.
Complicated? Yes.
unreliable? Not a chance.
These cars use the electric motor to power the wheels, not the engine. The engine is just there to generate electricity for the motor when the battery runs out.
Electric motors have a single moving part. They're endlessly reliable.

>sound a little funky?

Attached: XD.png (200x265, 125K)

I guess i'm more asking is "are there more gauges and settings and shit than just tach/speedo/battery" that I can watch on long drives to satisfy my autism

not really. As to how they sound, unless the engine generator is running, they're silent.
youtube.com/watch?v=Bs8CS004ZvQ

It does have a screen that tells you how the power is going through the drivetrain

>long drives
>EV

Attached: 1448405089330.gif (720x720, 36K)

The Clarity and Volt are series hybrids. They're EV only up to a point. On the Volt, it's 56 miles of EV range. After that, a conventional gas engine kicks in to generate more electricity to power the motor, giving you a fairly long range in total of over 400 miles.

Jay Leno uses a Volt as a Daily Driver, and averages well over 1,000 miles per gallon in his.
When he hit 10,000 miles in it, he still had the original fuel in the tank from when he took delivery. The tank is only 10 gallons.

FD RX7

Install them yourself

Does it really count as miles per gallon if the fuel isn't powering the vehicle for most of the time?

Sure. I think the better question is "Is miles per gallon still a valid metric for measuring energy efficiency when you've got multiple sources?" There's no way anyone's hitting 1000 MPGe in any car because thermodynamics. If you say "1000 miles per gallon" as in "I've got the original tank from when I bought this thing because I exclusively drive within electric range" you're just being silly.

What sorta gauges should I get

And don't you dare say manifold pressure

put a police light bar on the dash. Should be enough flashy lights for you

It isn't stupid to say over 1000 miles per gallon. To a normal person, the simplified answer is best. To make these hybrids a success, you have to appeal to the retarded suburban mother.

OP here, Think it's appropriate to mount a thermal camera on my dash so I can see shit in the dark?

no. That's why it has headlights.

I think it's a little more appropriate to quote yearly cost of ownership per mile, because electricity costs money unless you work for a place that gives you free charging as a perk. And my guess is that if you work for one of those places, you already know what a plug-in hybrid is.

Followup question: is it illegal to install an IR lamp on the front of my car (like the ones old cold war tanks use)?

I don't agree. It's cheaper to fill the battery up with electricity than to fill the tank with gas. Regardless of the metric. The EV is better. Just use a familiar metric people talk about all the time and stop being autistic.

probably. Check local laws

Holy shit.

The point is saying "1000 mpg" is disingenuous because most people really care about "miles per dollar," and the miles per dollar cost of a plug-in hybrid, while far better than a gas vehicle, is nowhere near the miles per dollar you'd get with a thermodynamic-violating car that can drive you 10000 miles with a single fill.
>stop being autistic
where the fuck do you think we are

>the electric motor to power the wheels, not the engine
>series hybrid/gas engine kicks in to generate more electricity to power the motor

wrong, both the volt and clarity(plug in hybrid) switch to a direct drive CVT once the battery runs to it's minimum
they both have a planetary gearbox that have the electric engine and ICE in parallel, not a series setup like the BMW i3 with range extender