gamedesignadvance.com/?p=3124
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16/rate/174252
ambientdev.itch.io/seasons-past
angryghoust.itch.io/the-jackal
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for ludicrous upload speeds

>last thread had 162 IPs
>demo day 16 has 26 entries
Something is off here, you... do all have progress right?

Demo's out!

Download: itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16/rate/174233

test my game you fucking faggots

I'm in the bug swatting phase of demo day. Feedback has been very helpful.
I haven't slept yet.

Reposting from dead thread

Elements Torn review is up

youtu.be/SB0kzEoUcKY

Interesting premise, although somewhat hampered by the combat just not feeling right. Full review in the video.

Just finished recording your demo, video is exporting now.

Taking requests for video reviews, or I'm just gonna pick one that look neat.

Should I start reviewing stuff or wait until the end

I don't have enough of a game to post a demo. It would be pointless.

Shameless self-post

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16/rate/102580

And some gameplay

youtube.com/watch?v=Fjxbh8k15z8

Post some feedback please!

play my demo
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16/rate/141368

OMG IT'S JUST LIKE DORK SOULS!!

Okay. You can procedurally generate chess endgames, and a lot of other sorts of puzzles. In this case you can work backward, tying the number of moves needed to the difficulty.

Games with tons and tons of random content create a similar situation. Each particular combination of elements is essentially one puzzle board out of which you need to extract maximal value. A given combination of items is only interesting to "solve" once. An enormous amount of content which can be combined in novel ways presents an enormous variety of puzzles for the player to face.

Skyrim, on the other hand, plays pretty much the same most of the way through. You don't play significantly differently based on the elements in play. The puzzle is static.

>OK user, your game is free, you pretty much completed it before joining this company and it does not affect your work but still I have to ask 3 more guys before being able to tell you it is OK for you to release it

My manager, I know they are trying to protect the company but damn... if they say no I don't know what to do

>Light Spirit
game is pretty nice user but you gotta fix those issues like jumping on walls.ex: 00:17 - 00:20 i just stand there trying to jump on the other direction but nothing happens

full playthrough
puu sh/xvqZl/10e8b43c2e.mp4

Lmao how much of a pussy do you have to be.

get some rest, you'll do less mistakes, demo day is 3 days so you can still work on it after sleeping, you've earned it

@Placeholder Title
Got another one.
Also if I rebind the pause button ingame from pause menu, I can't exit the pause menu afterwards. Solved by resetting keys to default.
Pressing A and D during the boss fight while paused makes parts of the boss visible/invisible.

Link is not working for me user.

untouch.itch.io/cash-out-demo-day-16-

please download my demo
im testing the new health system, if you download it please let me know if it sucks or not

again sorry i used my steam demo as a basis for this demo so theres some shilling left in and some features are cut

I think this approach is a near miss. Candy Crush Saga has an enormous amount of relevant game states but is not particularly deep. Chess, played from a point where there is only one solution which leads you to victory deterministically, is still deep.

Check out this article:
gamedesignadvance.com/?p=3124

Last time I'm posting When It Hits the Fan for demo day. It releases Sept 19th on Steam (steam page is up now) so I'll have to come up with a new game for next demo day. Any ideas?

> Next Demo Day 16 (12 HOURS!) itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16
??

user you gotta add . between puu and sh

oh, I tried to just get rid of the space.
my b

tfw you will never be able to license the UbiArt engine

analytics tells me six of you downloaded my game

stop ghosting me

Release it under a pseudonym you cuck

>An enormous amount of content which can be combined in novel ways presents an enormous variety of puzzles for the player to face.
That enormous amount of content means shit, when everything of it is half-assed crap.

Ah, I got the one pictured while trying to figure out the keybind issue.

>Pressing A and D during the boss fight while paused makes parts of the boss visible/invisible.

Dang I really should handle my debug code better. Thanks for this by the way.

i did it! it even packed neatly down to 84 megabytes!

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16/rate/174252

My progress is adding a new reflection system to my engine on which the only playable game at the moment is a Pong clone

that's the game i was waiting for

Are you familiar with Magic: The Gathering? Have you ever drafted?

>knew that the gate would allow to hit one block
>it can also hit the other on the other side
Well played. That area is a bit too safe for the second phase, I might just throw in another attack.

Yes, and it's a shit game. Drafting is based way too much on luck for getting good rng instead of actual skills, which is fucking retarded. EDH is much better, even though even there is still way too much rng involved to be a really good game.

Pulling on a fucking one armed bandit is not a fun game, it's just fucking gambling

>LMB to autowalk
>LMB to attack

Since the enemies are so small, and you have to reclick to attack, I'm fighting against autowalk more than I'm fighting against the enemies. Your game is perfectly navigateable with just WASD.

Aaaaand the demo has no HUD, plus some ugly graphical bugs. This demo day is making me mad I swear.

>it even packed neatly down to 84 megabytes!
How the hell did you manage that ?

>How the hell did you manage that ?
I scrubbed out starter content, which cut it down from 800 to 300 megs and winrara somehow packed 300 megs down to 84. Miracle!

it's LMB to attack? i thought that attacking was automatic

oh the dialogue is wrong, i changed how it worked
ambientdev.itch.io/seasons-past
>Since the enemies are so small, and you have to reclick to attack
you can just bump into them

>> Next Demo Day 16 (12 HOURS!) itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16
FUCK YOU

>Drafting is based way too much on luck for getting good rng instead of actual skills, which is fucking retarded.
The challenge is making the best out of the tools you're given. This is a skill. Playing optimally won't guarantee that you will win but it will guarantee that you will usually come out on top. MTG draft pros regularly end up in the top 16 in events with hundreds of drafters. If it was mostly luck this wouldn't be the case.

The virtue of having lots and lots of different elements, even if not all of them are balanced, is that the puzzle keeps shifting. It takes many, many drafts to "get" a set and even then you keep running into new situations you haven't seen before. This is not true for most games that do not rely on some form of procedural generation.

alright thanks, gonna do the do same, hopefully it cuts down the filesize to something I can upload.

the first time around i was kinda waiting for "desperation mode" to end but i was wrong it was actually a shielded phase,i am retarded

>That area is a bit too safe for the second phase
i agree phase 2 needs to be harder because phase 3 you just need 10-15 health to abuse invincibility frames and spam attacks

Has anyone tried Panda3D yet? How is it?

no fuck YOU leather-man

Make sure you delete anything you're not using, maybe you're even better off copying your project and deleting stuff you're not using on your demo map. Delete all the other maps too. UE is fucking stupid and it pack everything in the project, even though it's not supposed to.

>i thought that attacking was automatic
Playing it again, I'm not sure now. Here is my experience.

Water Physics
OR
Water and Lava insta death pits

For a pixel platformer.

>The challenge is making the best out of the tools you're given. This is a skill.
Of course it's skill. Doesn't change that there is still a shitton of luck involved.
And rogue-like games are boring casual shit anyway. There is no challenge about them.

Phase 3 is meant to be a last chance for the boss. At 5 health, it's scary despite how simple it is. If at 15 health as you said though it makes you feel empowered.
Phase 2 is suppose to mess you up if you aren't careful. A lot of people playing the demo where finding it difficult, so I think I hit the right spot in terms of difficulty amp.

you also have to stop moving because i coded movement into ending the attack state

maybe i should rethink that

>that walk "animation"
>that graphics for everything
jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus

Neat! I just figured I messed up and was spawning a bit more enemies in the beginning that it should had for the demo, hope it wasn't much of a problem.

Water physics so you can have a couple of underwater levels

But lava should be instant death

what's wrong with the graphics...

>you also have to stop moving because i coded movement into ending the attack state
A fleeing enemy would be impossible to attack then
It's actually fun aside from the combat. I don't notice the animations while playing.

I fixed the crash bugs (probably) and the boss making its arms disappear. Going to have to figure out the keyboard input bugs later.

Good Night, Knight review is posted! Man, I suck at this game.

youtu.be/rvFQC2FBOcE

>A fleeing enemy would be impossible to attack then
they don't flee
>It's actually fun aside from the combat. I don't notice the animations while playing.
there's gameplay apart from the combat?

>Of course it's skill. Doesn't change that there is still a shitton of luck involved.
An incredibly deep system can have an incredible amount of luck involved in it. War, the stock market, politics..

>And rogue-like games are boring casual shit anyway. There is no challenge about them.
That depends on the roguelike. There are plenty of games which take countless tries to get through which good players can get through almost every time.

>there's gameplay apart from the combat?
Yes. Walking to an objective marker, reading text, then repeating is a basic gameplay loop. The visuals and atmosphere are enjoyable which made the demo into a positive experience imo.

>muh rng
Just fuck off. RnG is lazy design, nothing else.

RNG is what makes games deep.

What con should I choose to shill my game at?

Random factors can add depth by presenting you with varying challenges.

anthrocon

Yes, if you only use them rarely. But designing whole stages with rng can only suck.

>maybe you're even better off copying your project and deleting stuff you're not using on your demo map.
I'm fine, there's just one child class I don't use on the demo that's "useful" for later on. The rest is useless garbage so it'll help cleaning up the project too.
Your game is probably the first I'll try by the way, the animations are goofy as fuck but the rest of it looks interesting.

Would appreciate some feedback.
angryghoust.itch.io/the-jackal

That depends on how you use them. Board games have been using random generation for ages. Settlers of Catan's board is randomly generated every time and that's what makes it work. Dominion is varied because each match presents you with a different set of kingdoms.

>mfw that user with the mecha/blue-haired-pilot-girl/metroidvania game is nowhere to be seen

I hope he did not give up.

>That depends on how you use them.
No, it does not depend how you use them. It will end up being boring casual shit for brainless retards.

That user is dead send your hope to me instead
please

The one in your country which you can afford

he said his game is unfun, so he changed the game into an 8-bit super metroid with a 3-cell tall player character and he was never heard from since
twitter is dead too

nice
seasons past uses a d20 system to determine enemy hit chance, measured against player AC

player attacks aren't randomised

Are all deckbuilding games casual games for "brainlets"? Puerto Rico? Twilight Imperium? Poker? Istanbul? Terra Mystica? Archipelago? Suburbia?

Frankly you're just showing that you don't know a lot of games.

It's gambling nothing else. Leave the real games to the big boys.

>I'm just pretending to be retarded
xd

Some sounds are ear piercing, mainly the weapon switching and entering the main menu
The practice should give the option to explain controls
It would be nice to have the option to double-tap to dodge, the shift key is awkward but I eventually got used to it
The music is pretty good (is this original?)
The dodge mechanic really shines in the boss fight
The boss' mega-laser isn't actually telegraphed well, despite the shrinking circle.
It would look a lot nicer to have a tiny laser to go down and there should also be some indication of the size of the laser.

Ugh.
Go away insaneposter, please.

>yes hello, of course playing poker takes as much skills as playing chess, and not just largely revolving around fucking luck

Heh, man I got to get through my head that the beginning has do be easier.

You actually won't have to get the camo in the beginning every time, resting on tents will save the obtained items so that's a once per campaign affair, not once per run. I'll try making stealth as optional as possible, especially in the beginning.
And yeah I was questioning if I should even leave that terrible main menu song in for the demo, it was just me messing around mashing buttons on LMMS.
The skeletons are the enemy version of the main menu music, they won't work like that at all and are way too unforgiving.

Thanks a lot for the review, appreciate the feedback!

>Stayed up twice in this week for 40-50 hours because I was so focused on writing code.

Is this a symptom of autism?

>as much
I'd say more.

>

>dot rar
Do dot Zip user otherwise people that use the itch.io plataform will not be able to download your game

Do a 2d xcom game with body part damage

all of then

Participate in an indie cup.

>Some sounds are ear piercing, mainly the weapon switching and entering the main menu
Yeah I should make the volume configurable
>The practice should give the option to explain controls
I totally wanted to make an info screen that explains all the stuff, but didn't get to it in time.
>It would be nice to have the option to double-tap to dodge, the shift key is awkward but I eventually got used to it
You could also use WASD and then dash with L, but you're not wrong. I plan to add reconfigurable keys anyway. About the double tap to dodge...hmm I don't know, I never liked it in games, it feels too unreliable and cumbersome at times, but I'll keep it in mind.
>The music is pretty good (is this original?)
Sadly no, it's from a game called Axelay, but slightly sped up. The name pops also pops up at the start of the level.
>The dodge mechanic really shines in the boss fight.
Indeed, I plan to design the bigger enemies around the mechanics. You can also forward dash into small enemy's bullets as they come out to absorb them and kill the enemy at almost the same time.
>The boss' mega-laser isn't actually telegraphed well, despite the shrinking circle.
>It would look a lot nicer to have a tiny laser to go down and there should also be some indication of the size of the laser.
I know, actually I wanted to do just that and also add a proper sound as well, but I was quite tired and my previous procrastinating caught up with me.

Thank you very much user for taking the time to play it and write this out, I hope you had fun.

brazileirobr.itch.io/feras

Demo is out.

i'm glad you changed the title, "pong rpg" in all your filenames triggered me, it's not pong nor rpg

it is slowing taking shape.

Neat, do you have a blog? I remember your username from tumblr, but there are no posts. Dashing feels good. There is little feedback when you deal and receive damage though. Continue doesn't give you enough invincibility, you can spawn straight into another attack. Could have in-game explained controls. It's straightforward and fun though.

Onto other feedback
Ghost Knight Victis - I can see some regression. Enemies have a ton of health. FPS occasionally dips so hard, it teleports me and enemy around the map. I also managed to break an enemy, so that I could push him around and he wouldn't attack.
Coal - Oh boy, where do I start. Crashes instantly on Intel, but works on Nvidia. Even max mouse sensitivity is not enough. Movement and camera feels jerky despite consistent 60fps, hard to put my finger on what's wrong. I fell through map while trying to strafe jump. Enemy death animation is too sluggish, which makes it not satisfying.
Good Night Knight - Maps don't seem adjusted for stealth, and randomization makes it even worse. Skeletons have the same attack as player, but apperently no stamina limit. I probably don't know how to play this game properly except for dashing my way to next door.
Light Spirit - Pretty good, I ended up cheesing the boss though.
Placeholder Title - Great moveset, and great bossfight. Laughed at dummy crash. Wouldn't one dash button be enough though? Interface is inconsistent, sometimes required mouse, sometimes keyboard.
Wasteland Rampage - I still like it, though I wish it had more of moment-to-moment difficulty instead of lingering chip damage. Mobility is so low that I would rather spam heavy attack than move around the horde to search for an opening.
Khryse - I would like to test it more, but my rig is too terrible for this.
Devil Engine - I swear it gets harder with each demo. It's neat that tutorial is now interactable. Is there any way to repeat it though?

Am I gamedev now?

Who won demo day 16?

its a 28 way tie right now

This is my opinion so far