Is downshifting to a stop just a meme if you're not on a hill...

Is downshifting to a stop just a meme if you're not on a hill? Does it not make more sense to just shift into neutral and put wear on the brakes instead of the clutch?

Attached: Cb-cbv6WoAESJOC.jpg (960x538, 46K)

Little bit of both. I'll drop one gear usually, but all the way down? Fuck no. More useful on long hills, and mountain roads to control my speed. Brakes are cheap af anyway, I'll save the wear and tear on my clutch.

Hmm... Let's see... Would I rather convert that energy into a cheap and easily replaceable part specifically designed to stop the vehicle, or an expensive and difficult to replace part not designed for that purpose...

yep, would rather spend some money, on better brakes and high temp fluid, as in my car swapping the clutch involves dropping the entire engine, and fuck doing that.

Downshifting with a proper rev match and no lurch has no ill-effects on the clutch. That's not to say it should be done all the time, but ultimately it can mean a big difference in a quick-reaction situation to always have your car in gear.

I will always downshift as it allows for faster braking and you can quickly get back to speed. Sure, it takes all of three seconds to shift into gear from neutral - but that three seconds can be the difference between life or death.

you need to downshift so people can hear you

Drama queen

Why would you be wearing the clutch? It's just more convenient to have double-clutched into first at a stop sign.

What’s dramatic about always being ready to give it the gears if something happens? Same as how you NEVER shift a manual into neutral at a stoplight - which in most cars is hell on the synchros anyways. “But muh throwout bearing!?” Your throwout bearing is designed to do its fucking job.

>never shift a manual into neutral at a stoplight
What
>hell on the synchros
What

I drive a truck, sweetheart. I know all about it. You're a try hard drama queen.

I'm not being dramatic, it's a real thing you fuck tard. You're driving at 60mph or so in a 3,000 pound car, odds are. Odds also are most people here are driving old 90s shitboxes which are prone to crashing pretty roughly. It's better to be safe than sorry.

However, is being a tard. Neutral at a stop light, that's hell not only on the throwout bearing but over time can wear down your clutch pretty bad. It's a waste. The only time you need to hop into gear at a stop light is when you're at the front and the light is about to turn green.

Also I am not this guy, I am As far as you go, being a truck driver suddenly making you an expert at driving a manual is no different than a tech support dispatcher calling themselves an expert at computers.

Odds are I'm in a 92k lb truck right now with over 1.5million miles under my belt.

utter bullshit.
it is better to have to car in neutral, when you stop.
It is more stressfull for the spring, which engages the clutch to be pressed all the time. It rests the maximum time in its natural shape and instead of being pressed together.

Don't forget about fuel usage.

>Most people here

And I don't give a shit how many miles you've driven nor do I care how heavy your load is. You are not an expert on a manual transmission. You might know how to drive your truck pretty well, but those have some indestructible transmissions on them already. With that many miles you rarely get off the highway except to get a cheap handjob from a hooker at a shitty truck stop.

You're just a paid driver that thinks he knows everything about vehicles because you drive a lot. I can tell you a lot of plumbers don't know anything about literal shit, but they work with it all the time so they think they know a lot about shit.

In other words, you really don't know shit.

The engine can deal with the heat better than the breaks and shifting down won't damage the clutch any more than a normal gear change.

Just buy an automatic lol

Attached: 1521589374982.jpg (714x960, 62K)

I must announce to the world I’m driving a manual and wish to be a race car driver

Definitely necessary

>wearing on the engine and clutch is better than wearing the brakes which are easily replaceable

Attached: 1521152090787.png (811x628, 93K)

Uhhmmm downshifting wont help you brake faster in an emergency. The limiting factor is tire traction, not braking force. Threshold braking is the fastest way to stop.

My method:
Engine brake as much as possible
Start braking at some point
Shift into neutral when revs drop below 200
Brake to a stop

you're supposed to shift down gears as you're braking

What about downshifting to engine brake and automatic?

Attached: Smol bren.png (447x506, 35K)

an*

my dad does that when he's towing a trailer and it seems to work surprisingly well. not as good as a manual, but better than when he doesn't have a trailer.

I find myself doing it a lot instead of breaking to slow down on the highway. I'm wondering if there's any significant wear for the auto trans

Attached: Smoller.jpg (645x968, 106K)

Fucking dramatic. I had 5 minutes to go piss at the hospital. Did a stress jack, come back to find out my papa died from another siezure in his room.

>so people can hear you
What?

>you're supposed to shift down gears as you're braking

I want to be the downshift police.

>select lower gear in bros auto awd jag
>significant deceleration
>rev match and downshift my mx-5 or z33 to top of power band
>barely any more decel than coasting

Attached: 6CA4370B-345E-456D-AF56-10932F88FCF3.jpg (600x782, 111K)

Coasting in neutral costs fuel

>wear on the brakes instead of the clutch

What wear are you putting on the clutch? If the pedal is out then there is not wear.

How is it going to wear the engine and clutch any more than normal operation?

No, not really, someone could tear the shit out of one in hours. I own my own truck and take care of everything, you roll around in a shitbox downshifting all the time because it makes you feel cool. You dont need to keep your shit in gear all the time like I have to, you dont have to rev match like I do, you have fucking syncros for godsakes, and you don't know how much a transmission, rear end, ujoint, or clutch costs for a truck either. 890k on the original clutch in my shitbox, so yes, I think I know whats up. I'm not sorry I disagreed with you and pointed out your unreasonable autism, all you are doing is masturbating your ego with your manual faggotry.

these busriders mean to imply the fraction of the second the clutch pedal is actuated after blipping the throttle somehow induces wear, and that this wear is remotely comparable to the wear of on brake pads and rotors that press against each other for orders of magnitude more time

some automatic focus I rented in Colorado had a button that put it in a mode that made it downshift when going downhill, I assume it's a valid technique if a manufacturer would bother making it a factory-equipped function

>Engine breaking
>mpg gauge reads ~70
>Coasting in neutral
>mpg gauge reads 99.9
what did they mean by this

2 wheels, vs 4 wheels connected to the drivetrain.

some engines will actually cut fuel injection at certain rpm ranges off the gas.

>wear of on brake pads and rotors that press against each other for orders of magnitude more time

But cost orders of magnitude less to replace.

This desu, I downshift at ~1500 when decelerating, little to no strain on the drivetrain at that point

I do that all the time. I even blip the throttle so it shifts smoother. I used to drive a manual so it's a hard habit to break.

No the throwout doesn't sit spinning in any normal operation of a clutch, it only spins as the clutch is in the process of engaging and disengaging in normal driving.

tfw even the americans that know how to drive manuals dont know how to drive manuals

In Europe the driving school teach you that the proper way to drive is to go through all the gears in one direction or another, whether you're accelerating or decelerating.
Going in neutral and playing with the brakes only is considered the savage thing only a bad or lazy driver would do.

Is it nothing but normie bias against something they don't understand? Maybe, but I'm not so sure. It does feel safer and more 'right' this way, I think.

Driving a truck across the country doesn't make you a trucker.

But suck one cock, you bet your faggot ass you're a cocksucker

I only bother if I'm going to turn without making a full stop. Otherwise I just clutch + brake then shift into neutral.