Seat Belt Buckles

I learned to drive in a car with pic related seat belt buckles. These are actually aircraft certified buckles. Designed to be strong but easy to get out of in an emergency.

Since then, every passenger car I've seen has their own version of some sort of release button. No two models are they same. Is there any reason that the aircraft style buckles were abandoned for cars?

Attached: SeatbeltBuckle.jpg (600x600, 58K)

Plastic is cheaper.

So do the lift up style in plastic.

seat belts do more harm than good.

Do you want me to pull the highlights from g/o/re the past week?

Seatbelts are for cucks like just live in a bubble nigga lmao

More easy to break

If I had to guess the seatbelt sensor is easier to integrate with a plastic molded buckle. Also those metals ones and even newer designs get hot as fuck in direct sunlight.

stop trying to enforce this dumb meme

The benefit of being easy to release in an emergency is marginal since rescue crews just cut the whole thing anyway.

Attached: images (6).jpg (320x320, 12K)

>you will wait for a rescue crew to cut your seatbelt while your car is going underwater

Attached: 1506655858456.jpg (403x433, 25K)

you sound like a retarded nader engineer
if you're too stupid to operate a regular seatbelt then you deserve to drown/burn/explode with the vehicle.
oversimplification is why this country is in such a mess.
survival of the fittest needs to be a thing again.

>while your car is going underwater
Helicopter made me think of this.

>if you're too stupid to operate a regular seatbelt
Not my car. Or helicopter. Where's the fookin' button? That's why aviation belts are made the way they are. All the same.

t. boomer

Do you even head crush (maximum)

>Plastic is cheaper.

I just checked. Aviation buckle set, lowest price I found was $4.00

>literally can't find a seatbelt button
nigga you're flat out retarded I could unbuckle myself in 5 seconds with my eyes closed in any car

If you really want to be prepped for that situation, you should just carry your own seatbelt knife.

>implying costs to the manufacturer are the same to the end consumer.

No. $4.00 a set for me. Probably

But plastic will be even cheaper. The difference may not be that much, but considering the amount they'll need it'll add up quick.

>be on Veeky Forums where everyone is edgy and anticipating a race war or beta uprising
>WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T WEAR YOUR SEATBELT DON'T YOU KNOW HOW DANGEROUS THAT IS

Attached: 1520632534162.jpg (511x509, 36K)

>eBay seatbelt components

Attached: unnamed.gif (480x270, 2.2M)

Yeah but what about copfags like me who have to take that shit off quick if there's a situation that calls for it? We drive shitty Fords and Chevys that have the shittiest features known to man. All the seatbelts either don't retract and you get tangled up when trying to get out but that's another issue you'll only get to if you can even get the buckle to work properly. You have to shove those fuckers in hard and press the button so hard it feels like you're going to snap your finger in half.

Why the fuck must everything American be so shitty? American car engineers seem to fuck up every little thing that you wouldn't even think could be fucked up. Why can't we just drive Toyotas?

Because nobody wants to touch bare steel in Arizona summer afternoons or Alaska winter mornings. I don't see any way you could make a reasonable 3-point belt with a aircraft buckle either.

>tfw your metal seat belt burns your flesh from the sun beating down on them

I actually miss those days, when you had a reason to buy a sunscreen for your dash. So comfy

>>>r/eddit faggot

Probably make a 3-way the same way they did in the 80s/early 90s. Normal Male end with a curve at the back to attach two pieces of belt.

>implying mass producing a tiny plastic part for millions of vehicles is more expensive than buying individual pieces from ebay

simbly ebin :----DDDD

Attached: 1446146764475.jpg (792x558, 96K)

they're in steel in cars too only the covers are in plastic

>unironically wants fragmentation grenade airbags

The button style is quicker to release and more convenient.
The reason they still use them on airliners is low cost and the fact the belts aren't pretensioned

The pilot has quick release belts.

Attached: 49931468-22A1-4C6F-B32A-095ABAD41CC2.jpg (355x355, 22K)

Also they have shoulder harnesses in addition to the lap belts

>Is there any reason that the aircraft style buckles were abandoned for cars?
Yes.
In order to make seat belts easier to use, the female-side buckle no longer has a long belt. This also reduces the amount of clutter in the car seats or needing to find the female-receptacle. Now, all female buckles are short and beltless items at the side of front and rear seats. The only item that needs a belt now is the male part of the belt buckle.

>The button style is quicker to release and more convenient.

Yeah? Which button style? These are a few of mine. I LOL when someone new gets into one of my cars and can't figure the button out.

Attached: BeltReleases.png (800x2400, 3.78M)

>In order to make seat belts easier to use, the female-side buckle no longer has a long belt.

You can make a aircraft-style buckle with a fixed mount for cars. And some car belts (back seat in particular) still use female side belts, albeit short ones.

what are they smoking over at Porsche

Attached: 1521149723809.jpg (960x950, 89K)