Who's your favorite Greek?

Who's your favorite Greek?

>be Agamemnon
>make a sacrifice to Artemis and claim to be her hunting equal
>oh fuck here comes a plague
>offend a priest of Apollo
>oh fuck here comes another plague
>feud with Achilles, end up looking like a loser because he's more noble than you
>get shittalked by Odysseus and Menelaus after ordering that Ajax not be buried.
>go home
>get killed by your wife's bull

>but back home everyone thinks you're the greatest and start calling you "Zeus Agamemnon"

Diomedes

>Youngest of the Greek kings, yet has the most military experience
>Leads one of the largest navies
>Is probably the best fighter only behind Achilles
>Still humble, honorable, and righteous
>Kills like 3/4's of the Trojan heroes
>Wounds a fucking god

You don't get much more based than that.

>>Is probably the best fighter only behind Achilles

I would put Ajax the Greater ahead of him myself. He does slightly better against a point of comparison in the battlefield (Hektor), and he lands a hit, albeit a non-penetrating one, in their fight in the funeral games; which Diomedes didn't match.

Diomedes nearly killed him and the fight had to be called off.

I agree with you x10.

I found achilles to be too much of a whiny kid.

Diomedes wounded freaking athena.

It was glorious the truest demonstration of arete.

err aphrodite my bad

>Diomedes nearly killed him and the fight had to be called off.

Diomedes tried to kill him, and yes, the fight had to be called off because he was a lunatic aiming for the neck in what was supposed to be a friendly spar. He never actually landed a hit, which makes it hard to claim that he "nearly killed him".

>but back home everyone thinks you're the greatest and starts calling you "dead"

More like it.

myself

Ares too

Goodnight sweet prince.

You are greek

OH SHI- there are so many, narrowing it to one is hard....

I guess I would have to pick Orpheus.
>be a mortal
>be so good at music Apollo himself gives you his lyre
>marry perfect 10/10 qt waifu
>she dies
>convince Hades to release your wife from Underworld
>have last second doubts and lose her forever
>go on to reform the rustic and primal cult of Dionysos into an austere and sophisticated religion that will go on to shape Christianity
>be murdered by Maenads (wine-nymph allies of Dionysos)
>don't let this stop you
>continue to give advice and revelations as a disbodied head

Bulgarians, keep an eye out for this one!

Arguably the best trans-Greek. You cis-ethnic Greeks better check your Graeco privilage.

It wasn't because he was a lunatic but because it was the only target available over Ajax's shield. Ajax wasn't exactly taking it easy either.

Regardless, you can't really claim one is greater than the other when they themselves fought Tina draw.

Not that faggot, but Ajax was more of a tank class. He held off the entire Trojan army, a feat only matched by Achilles. Sure Diomedes got more high-level kills but Ajax was clearly the better overall fighter, which was obviously widely agreed upon because Ajax assumed he would be given Achilles arms.

>Not odyessus
Kys my man

>so good with your tongue, your wife doesn't leave you even after 10 years nomsayin ayyyyy
>first born isn't a cuck
>win erry argument
>ditch a faggot on an island, realise you need him to win the war, then get him back on board with cheeky banter
>deploy a one trick pony and win the world war of the BC's
>played by Sean Bean (way more rugged and dashing than homo Brad Pitt)
>you best freind is a goddess who is the best wing woman and makes you hot even after ship wreaks
>cyclops more like goodbyeclops amirit guys?!? Guys?..
>servants think you the man and back you like farrage to trump
>alpha as fuck don't let no suitors wolf whistle your wife and get away with it
>fuck a witch and a goddess and yo wife still puts out on the first night back
>book is seen as the classic example of Western literature and stupid faggots who took it for classics have to read it every year and know all about your midlife crisis

Fucking mint lads

Pfft if you want maximum GAR then Herakles is your man.
>throttles a magic demon snake as a baby in his crib
>completes not one, not two, but OVER 9000 task of maximum ridiculousness
>founds the cult of the Olympian gods that is immortalised in Homer
>becomes a god thru his sick natty gains

>Natty
>Half God
Pick one

>Demi god faggot who just smashes shit and gets played by Dwayne "the rock" Johnson
>Kills his wife and family like a god damn Irishman
>'Plutarch, in his Eroticos, maintains that Heracles' male lovers were beyond counting' (Wikipedia)
>Isn't featured as a sneaky Jew in Roman mythology with a cooler name
>Only truly legendary thing he did was get a Disney film and the muses were black wtf?

r u even trin?

They were natty for him. But Herakles wasn't just a muscleman, he was smart and creative and obviously deeply spiritual (given his role as founder of a religion). The Greeks considered him the apogee of male virtue, yes his life was filled with tragedy but that's the Greeks for you.

Also there is literally nothing wrong with fucking boys, Herakles also had wives and female lovers.

>be greatest hero ever
>save countless village and people
>everybody love you

wooooooow

>takes wife from Achilles
>gets killed by wife's lover

like pottery

>all these fags posting fictional characters
fuck Sp*rtans desu

Legit the most enjoyable greek to read about

Aeneas. He went on to found Rome.

Archimedes for his magic death ray.

Why divine Plato of course.

>The entire western philosophy is a footnote to you
>Christianity the biggest religion around is basically a poor man's copy of your system

>Ajax the Greater
>be the second strongest fighter in the entire Greek army behind Achilles
>only reason he didn't kill Hector is because of divine intervention
>twice
>almost single handedly hold back the entire Trojan army
>retrieves his cousin's boy toys body
>fights off the Trojan army single handedly so Odysseus can escape with Achilles body
>all without an ounce of divine help

What a Mary Sue

Christianity was certainly influenced by Plato but its more obvious Classical precursor is Orphism, which predates Plato by ~400 years.

Yet everyone still says Achilles is better than him. Why?

One of the very few funny Veeky Forums images

Greeks love dat hubris.

>get killed by your wife's bull
Didn't his wife give him the axe in person?

mirin gains

Because Achilles was the greatest warrior ever born, as Ajax himself readily admitted. Ajax held back the Trojan attack on the ships, but Achilles routed the Trojan army when the Greeks first arrived. Ajax fought Hector, but Achilles killed him.

Achilles didn't die because of hubris, where did you get that idea? If anything, Ajax's suicide was more an act of hubris because it represents his inability to accept his own shortcomings.

more importantly
>would aim an arrow to helios whenever it became too hot
who tf even does that

i think that pythagoreanism and the eleatics were much of a bigger influence on him despite being initiated into the mysteries. if we were to point to any mystery cult it would by that of dionysius given how many times he references the cult on his dialogues (he does nothing but praise them on the phaedo)

>evaluating greek heroes by modern character standards
*breathes in*

>if we were to point to any mystery cult it would by that of dionysius given how many times he references the cult on his dialogues (he does nothing but praise them on the phaedo)

That's Orphism. Orpheus is credited with establishing it from the previously "earthy" cult of Dionysos, but Dionysos fills the Jesus role in it to a tee.

oh i see. thanks for clarifying. all my works of plato refer to the cult as being bacchic rather than orphic so i assumed they were distinct entities. probably translational error but more likely one in my part

Bacchus is a straight synonym for Dionysos, like Pluto for Hades. Within Orphism, he was also called Zagreus (the hunter), because why not?

yeah im aware of bacchic being a synonym of dionysius but i wasnt aware of the relation between the two. btw, if you dont mind, do you have any book recs for these mysteries? possibly a compilation of the primary texts and such? so far my experience with them has been secondary texts

There are none. We have some inscribed golden plates that were buried with the dead and which contain instructions for how to circumvent reincarnation and achieve heaven instead, and we have a collection of hymns (the "Orphic Hymns") but the Christians burned everything they could get their hands on and mostly all we have left is a few references in Christian literature that were written to debunk Orphic doctrines, and which obviously don't attempt to treat their subject fairly.