/domg/ - Dominions General

Dom5 Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/qaccWnMt

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Play by email guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Debug Mod
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous Pantokrator

Other urls found in this thread:

illwinter.com/dom5/index.html
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=FinalDestination
bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=165410.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Should probably link illwinter.com/dom5/index.html in the OP from now on

hopefully dom5 is more pirate friendly than dom4
They are missing the whole "People who don't pay for video games" demographic

I don't think they know much about making money from video games given the pricing of Dominions and how they announced Dom5

Why would anyone want them as a demographic

Possibly the last game of the Dom4 Era?
Don't miss out.

MA
12 Players
HoF 15
Story Events + Score Graphs OFF
Marignon + UW Nations BANNED
Awaitequira.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=FinalDestination

Hopefully Dom5 is open source, like every proper application developed on linux-based operating systems.

Free advertising.

And a loss of money, its not like you are pirating the game and then going to the street waving a big sign that advertises Dominions 5

What loss of money? Do they host the files for pirates?

I hope it's impossible to pirate. I also hope your computer catches on fire.

Fucking indie developers put this shit together for us and all you think about is stealing it.

Pirating game = not buying the game
not buying the game = not making money
having game without paying = devs not making money
Alot of people don't understand the concept of money so I don't blame you

>piracy causes loss of money
Post proofs.

piracy is not about money
It is a moral & ideological statement
Now people might pirate, then later send money directly to the dev
These people might recommend to their friends that this is a good game
Free to play would substantially increase the size of the community, which directly means higher revenue

How many people have been turned away that would have stuck around if there was a link to download the game?

That's not losing money, that's not gaining money.
Now try to prove that by making the game impossible to pirate they are actually increasing their sales.

He understands, he just doesn't want to admit it. "Free advertising" is how you can tell he actually just doesn't like paying for shit.

It's the same thing with fucking anarchists who don't "believe" in intellectual property. Someone spends four years developing something and just because it isn't physical, it doesn't count as labor.

Meanwhile REAL distributors have discovered that offering free stuff INCREASES sales

"I invested my time in making a game instead of spending time working another job. Now I'd like to sell my product."

"If I steal your product, you aren't losing money! You just aren't making any!"

>Get ready to tell all the people responding to you that hacking isn't stealing
>Read your post and see you calling pirates a "demographic"

What the fuck user

That's correct. He would be losing money if I took 5$ from his bank account whenever someone pirates his game.

Now if someone steals his product and likes it, then pays for it later- he has made money.

It's not difficult.

Meanwhile leeches like you try to justify taking advantage of small developers because you like free things.

Save the semantics for someone who believes you're not just trying to make yourself feel better about being a piece of shit.

To be fair, you just called piracy """hacking""".

>If I steal a Iphone I might decide to go back and pay for it if I feel like it

Somehow I doubt you're going to pay for it later once you get it for free.

And all the while you're enjoying their product, these devs have to pay their fucking bills on your promise to pony up money after you decide you like it? What an enviable position to be in!

You miss the point
The pirate doesn't go "Well I can't pirate it therefore I won't pay"
The pirate goes "Well I can't pirate it therefore I will go play something else, or get a wife + kids + give up video games"

Do you want to damn some poor pirate to a life of misery and suffering with kids? Give him his games, he needs them.

therefore I will pay ***

There is a large demographic of people who refuse to pay upfront for games. I suspect its a large fraction of people who play niche games like this one.

If I steal an iPhone, there is one less iPhone that the distributor can sell.
This has nothing to do with the developer losing money, which is what we are talking about.

Then it doesnt matter if the pirate steals it or not, in either of those scenarios the dev gets no money and the guy gets the game or doesnt.

The pirate still increases the community
Which attracts new players to the game

>If I steal an iPhone, there is one less iPhone that the distributor can sell
That is true, the difference is that they cant instantly replicate a copy of iphones. say someone buys dominions 5, well there is instantly another one someone else can buy without any downtime. By pirating it you still rob the dev

What has the dev lost?

I like how you've managed to convince yourself that you deserve something that someone else put their time and effort into for free. I also like how you don't realize that the upfront cost for the developers was an investment, and that by cheating them of their source of income, you hurt their chances of making back what they invested and remove the incentive to continue making these games.

Your justification is essentially "I don't want to pay and I'm probably not going to, but if you give it to me for free maaaaybe I will."

Because if it was about trying it to see if you liked it, you'd ask for a demo. Not the whole thing for free.

You are drastically overvaluing pirates, people who buy the game also increase the community while supporting the people who made the game they like. While pirates, assuming they even stay, increase the community without supporting the devs. They are still robbing them and saying "Well I enjoyed your product and told other people I like it so I am deserve it for free".

What do the devs lose by letting someone play it for free ?
They aren't losing a purchase

Theres a reason free to play games are gigantic

Their time and effort you dumb cunt.

Money

New players who also pirate it. Great way to make money. Also this thread is stillborn and no actual discussion of the game will occur.

"Hmm... I could pay for it, or play it for free..."

Are you genuinely this retarded

There is also a reason alot of free to play games have micro transactions.

What about when people buy the game on a steam sale for 75% off
Are they being cheated of their time/effort/money ?

What about people in third world countries who get a discount because they are poor
Is it cheating them ?

Grow a brain idiots

Are you seriously having this discussion in /domg/? I thought we were adults here. $40 is only a major investment when you're a teenager, especially considering this is a game where a single multiplayer match can take a hundred hours of gameplay to resolve.

I don't see how.
Robbery assumes a loss.
A loss assumes that there were assets there in the first place.
The presence of assets assumes that (in this case) a piracy is always done by someone who would pay for the game were piracy not accessible.

I think that that is a pretty preposterous assumption to make.

>retarded piracy derail

Tiny games like Dominions don't benefit from those faggots at all. They don't benefit because the potential market is too small, they are used to paying premium for strategy games anyway and pirate fags can only do singleplayer which is a tiny part of the game so their "word of mouth" is irrelevant to actual end users.

Now that that's out of the way, post your Dominions 5 wishlist.

They also aren't gaining anything by letting them play. A community of leechs isn't worth anything. A community of jobless fucks doesn't have any friends to tell. Niche games get made because a market for them exists, and if you aren't spending money, your tastes won't be catered to.

Are you arguing that because there are sales, stealing is morally acceptable?

So much shit in the world could be solved if people like you were dead

I would love to see some sort of functionality for automatically loading commanders with troops and sending them to a rally point. Playing freespawn nations is suffering in Dom4.

>people pirate because they don't have the expendable income to afford the game
Yet another preposterous presumption.

Steam effectively allows people to demo a game before they buy. You can play it for up to two hours or own it for two weeks. A hour is long enough to make a impression on if you want to keep it or if you want to refund it. People who pirate are just people who don't want to pay for the game and are making excuses as to why.

Saving sent & received messages

>>Wishlist
Huh
What about a demo?

this but more importantly this. The best dominions players are chads anyways

Holy shit this.
Basic UI functionality that would exist in a game from 2003 please.

Being able to save army composition like you can save scripts would be fucking sweet.

I would like more indepth descriptions of stuff and what they do, especially items. Or an ingame encyclopedia, that would be awesome.

changing fonts.

The font in all of the screenshots is actual bottomest tier garbage. It's unironically less legible than comic sans while being just as ugly.

I agree, but apparently if you refuse to pay for something its crazy and ridiculous to assume they don't have a job

The ability to set a mage to repeat a spell after scripting ends.
More bonkers globals.
More variety in viable gear.

Comic sans is pretty legible.

>thread ruined by autistic pirate

I'm not ashamed of what I am
I'm spent over 50 bucks on fast food so far this week, and its only monday

But I refuse to pay for the game. It's really that simple.

>singular

So you're saying that you're retarded, but you're also retarded.

Well at least you follow a pattern of laziness you leech

Where are all the Dominion memes?

e.g.
I like steak.
If I refuse to pay $30 for a steak at a restaurant, does that mean I don't have a job?

No. It just means I have other things that I'd rather spend my money on.

Considering I've already spent 200 hours playing Dominions 4 in the months that I've had it, it was well worth the $12 or so that I payed for it, but your point is retarded.

Dominion 5 webms are gonna be so nice. Too bad most of you are retarded, lazy cunts.

1000 years in MS paint

>Pirating game = not buying the game
Yeah, but lots of people don't buy the game.
>having game without paying = devs not making money
While that's true, also consider:
>Not having the game and not paying = devs not making money

Don't let the pirates steal your attention away from this gem of a PBEM.

If the iPhone is made at literally zero cost, then yes, that's correct. iPhones actually cost money to make, so it's not a perfect example, though.

Are you saying someone who just wasn't interested and didn't buy the game is on the same level as someone who was interested and stole the game?

Right. But on the other hand, if the pirate pirates the game, he then tells his friends about it, the community gets bigger, and Steam sales increase.

The time and effort has already been spent. The devs did it because they wanted to, for fun. Try again.

and then that person goes to some online forum, recommends the game for purchase, talks about the cool stuff in it, giving the game free advertisement.

Imagine if there was millions of people playing this game for free, pirated.
They would clearly have far more sales.

If the friend also just pirates it, then no, sales are shit.

the community still grows
Which is still better than some spiteful agenda of the anti-pirate bigots.

I pay for games all the time that I could get for free. I could get very close to all games for free, and at times I do. But I pay for some games because I know they're worth it and I want to support the developer, and/or for the convenience of Steam. For me, Dominions falls into that category at launch, but I pirated back when I started (and Dom 3 was actually harder to pirate) because I didn't know that yet. I've helped at least a couple people get into the game, and I wouldn't have gotten into it myself if piracy wasn't possible. Not when I did, and likely not ever. If other new players don't have that piracy option, how many will just never buy the game or become a part of the community? Probably more than without the option.

The problem with that is that it assumes alot of things
1. He has friends to tell
2. The friends he tells is interested in the game.
3. The friends don't just pirate it themselfs
to many "what ifs" to something the pirate probably doesn't do in the first place and instead just plays the game he stole.

He meant Free to play games like Angry birds, Team fortress 2 or other free to play games. Not free in the sense that you could pirate it.

>Spend 50 dollars on the first day of the week
>Can't be arsed to spend a portion of the 50 dollars on Dominions and the rest on groceries

>50 bucks on fast food so far this week, and its only monday

What the fuck a chick fil a sandwhich + fries + nuggets + drink is 10 dollars. You eat five times that a DAY?

If the community is full of people who don't pay and tell all their friends that they just pirated it, then the community is not worth growing.

So the time and effort has been spent, and they don't deserve compensation for it? You deserve it for free?

Consider this one: kill yourself

So all these potential benefits are meaningless because ?
What possible negatives come from piracy? What does it cost the devs?

Instead they go out of their way to DRM lock the game, adding new DRM with EVERY PATCH after its cracked. Ironically that is what costs them money.

The first day of the week is sunday.

Even if I personally can afford the game, and will pay for it, and presumably the same applies to you, not everybody is the same caliber of person as we have on /domg/. We need plebs to fill out Desura, Steam and places like Bay12 and Qt3. Those are the people that eventually git (relatively) gud and find places like /domg/ and then get blown out in our newbie games, without them this general would end up like constant others, long-dead or overcome by shitposting and nogames.

I guess that much is true, and we're all getting older; stuck in the past. But for a game like Dominions, I don't think an hour is really enough. Or a thousand hours, for that matter, but after the first dozen you'll at least know if you like it.

You, on the other hand, are a retard.

Unless the friend has a friend who doesn't pirate.

That must be why Dwarf Fortress doesn't make any money.

Still waiting on some evidence.

So last thread I said something about how this was the best community because the other ones were shitposting or dead.

I take it back.

"I pirated this cool game, you should play it!"

"Oh sure, I totally will pay money for something you got for free and won't also try to get it for free!"

>It is a moral & ideological statement
No it's not,it's about free shit
>Now people might pirate, then later send money directly to the dev
>things that never happened

What if the pirates friend is some moralfag loser like yourself who will only pay full price for a game?

The first day of the week is Monday you goddamn heathen

Dwarf fortress is free and they run of donations, they do get a fair amount of money.
bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=165410.0
you can see how much money he got

Incidentally, you do know that pirating doesn't prevent a person from buying, right?

But literally everyone gets it for free. Why would someone give a developer money just because they like his game and want him to be successful?

Damn it I fell for the bait

I don't think people like you have any friends, so the point is moot.

Glad you at least admitted what you're doing is immoral though, you fat piece of shit

This piracy talk is dumb because no matter how much he tries the faggot won't be able to play the game. He is a worm talking about the potential benefits of flying.

You make an excellent point.