Monster Hunter General - /mhg/

>Monster Hunter: Worlds
-MH:Worlds is coming out for PS4 and Xbox One early 2018, and eventually PC. pastebin.com/TRFRGFn1
↳Trailer 8/18: youtube.com/watch?v=ULqY6yXn2S4
↳Demo Gameplay 8/22: youtube.com/watch?v=WBg6KnkpaXU
↳Weapons: youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_ALSpmx2A8sAdeuYKMnrCt0xCpwPyPbC

>News
-Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch Ver. out now, region free. youtube.com/watch?v=Urb9cJcwAUA
↳3DS to Switch Save Data App: my.mixtape.moe/ezwmnj.png
-MHXX Update 1.2.0 w/ Eng Patch v4: my.mixtape.moe/glpowg.png
-Monster Hunter Stories released!

>I have a question!
pastebin.com/7Aa6HxUh
Includes links to the FAQ, weapon guides, charm info, and more.

kiranico.com/
Database with weapon trees, item locations, drop rates, etc.

sites.google.com/site/pingsdex
Same thing, in application form.

>Where does Veeky Forums play?
Create or find a Gathering Hall
Passcode: 7243
In XX, ターグット: Gathering フィールド採集 (page 1, middle right)
In Generations, Objective: Gathering
In 4U, Target: Fishing

Tags: MHWorlds, MHXX, MHGen, MH4U, MH3U, Stories, MonHun, /mhg/

Previous thread

LBG or HBG?????

First for Miku!

This "Worlds" meme has gone too far.

HBG

Don't forget your Evade distance though.

What are the best MH games? I've only played Tri (which was terrible) and Stories which was great

nth for VERY spicy doggo running at incredibly hihg speeds

Anyone know how long the main story is in Stories approximately?

So as a person who has so far neglected ranged weapons, and reading and ...

Why would one use LBG over HBG? Is LGB more viable solo due to mobility, or is HBG just the better choice in any situation? Maybe LBG is better against high mobility monsters like Tigrex or Narg?

>not luka
dropped

you probably won't like any of mainline, as far as I know the closest to stories is spirits which is an arcade cabinet game in japan

I'm more of an LBG fan myself
this is coming from someone who mostly plays DB though so I'm biased towards speed

If any of you are playing Stories can someone tell me where the FUCK I can get Agnaktor? It's not in the volcano, I've been here for hours just waiting for one to spawn. I need to kill one for a quest and get its egg for a different quest, but I can't fucking find it and it's pissing me off.

LBG is fun and versatile. HBG is kind of a one trick pony, it uses normal or pierce depending on the size of the monster and just shoots and does raw shot damage. LBG applies status at will, gets good mileage out of elemental ammos for raw-resistant monsters, can make crag/cluster sets actually viable by stretching out the ammo with rapidfire (crag also KOs monsters basically at will), can use slicing to take off tails and kill slicing-weak monsters (most of them) easily (again stretching the ammo out with RF), and under certain circumstances can load all ammos at once in some games (4U and X/XX, it's better in X/XX since there's no tradeoff but you trade RF for that ability in 4U). In X (Generations in the west) it also ruins most monsters with pierce elemental ammos.

I'm not sure how similar 3U is to Tri, because I never played Tri, but I love 3U.

Maybe try emulating some of the PSP games?

Luka is a slut!

you're a slut! fuck you!

but what's terrible about tri

Lack of content, that's it.

kill yourself nephlol

Even though it's different and a spin-off, I wonder if Stories will actually get me wanting to be more invested in Monster Hunter. I've played the first couple hours of all of the 3DS games and then dropped them.

I think it's largely 'cause I dislike how the hunter looks. I can't self-insert as this huge Amazon chick that could probably break a persons spine with her bare hands, so I like how Stories lets me be animu.

thats not very nice

>in need to self insert
>as a female
>as a child
You have brain problems.

Just accept you only like Stories, no need to shit up mainline.

What about bow? Which one is harder?

>implying i'm not female
>implying i didn't know i have brain problems
>not self inserting in your games when the player character is a blank canvas
user please.

>the game that made the lance god-tier
>was terrible

>self-inserting
>ever

>>not self inserting in your games when the player character is a blank canvas
Sick fuck take your pills.

Does crit element work on Blast?

Status Crit

trannyposter out

I got myself a peco in stories. Someone said I needed the fucker to get the earliest possible Tigrex on the snowy area but all it summons are the usual pig, khezu and zammy.
I just want my boy rex man

if you have the slay quest, you can find tigrex eggs in any rare nest there

No since blast isn't an element, it's a status.

For anyone playing Stories, does anyone know how Gene Channelling effects a monster's appearance?

If you give them element attack from an element they don't have naturally they will get a one time colour change, you can make an Ice Ludroth then replace all the ice genes with fire and have an ice-looking ludroth spitting gravios beams

Bow is far more simplistic and versatile, since you don't need to prepare a fuckton of ammo types before the hunt, and the different shot types and charge abilities give you a lot of options.

I would recommend the bow someone just starting to use ranged weapons, but it's so different in terms of controls from LBG and HBG it won't actually tech you much aside from how to approach a ranged battle in the most general terms.

hit the nail on the head. If you like GS or Hammer, then the Bow is their spiritual brother in mechanics i.e. precision attack, charging, larger focus on positioning etc...

How is Sharkfrog in stories?
Is he a good monster?

I want an autistic loli hunter gf!

pretty balky

Mine has been a huge help so far.
High defense so he can tank hits. Has a skill to give himself ice armor to tank more hits (and make his normal attacks icy), and an ice beam which hits all enemies and is great for wiping out 3 monsters at once.
He shits on pretty much everything in the desert.

Too bad it's a pain to ride, kut-kians are the best mounts.

True. It's a neat bit of flavor that he hops like a frog, but it kinda makes me not want to make him my lead unless I need to go swim or I'm about to go into a battle he's right for.
I enjoy riding diablos and REEEEing little faggots into nonexistence.

I like both of them equally but whenever playing solo I tend to prefer LBG because of versatility, but it's nowhere near as satisfying as the HBG.
Someone in the replies brought up Bow, which I also enjoy, maybe between LBG and HBG solely because no worrying about ammo types. It's way too simplistic though.

>Is LGB more viable solo due to mobility, or is HBG just the better choice in any situation
HBG is pretty much always better objectively but LGB is more forgiving due to increased mobility (FU HBG Tigrex is a real early test of mastery) and more varied in a "jack of all trades master of none" kind of way. While crude you can compare the bowguns to SnS and CB, CB is "objectively better" but if you like the playstyle of SnS then it doesn't really matter, does it?

>>>not self inserting in your games when the player character is a blank canvas
I would tell you that you are cancer and you should get the fuck out but this general is so trash at this point in time that you fit right in.

you dont self insert, you adopt the persona of the protag, this is video games 101

>I enjoy riding diablos and REEEEing little faggots into nonexistence.
ah, i see you are a man of culture as well

>"female" can't enjoy a game unless self inserting as a loser and gets upset at fictional females better than "her"

I've read Sand Barioth only spawns in the postgame. I got 2 shitty eggs thanks to its quest but can you actually find them casually since you can't repeat it?

>lance and gunlance are ultimately shit cause they need extra skills to maych the utility of other melee weapons, detracting from pure attack buff skills
dumb capcom never playtested their own games ever.

>wear blos armor and use blos GS
>REEEE skill takes little enough kinship that you can use it as soon as a battle starts
>everything either falls over or dies

I love this.

Does the Discord like Stories or are they Frontier and XX only?

>asking a website about a chatroom
do you go to the market to ask whats at home depot

>valfalk invasion during village urgent
>want to check him out a bit so I go and fight him
>faint within 1 minute of getting to his area
>"Valfalk has left the area"

what a disappointing series of events

I can't settle on a favorite monster. Black Diablos is old and reliable and I keep turning back to its armor no matter what weapon I use. Deviljho is the perfect design, though. Seregios is cool, and Shagaru Magala is the best winged elder dragon. Great Wroggi is also underrated af. How do you decide?

Do you believe everything you read here about the discord? Go and find out yourself.

>he didn't play Tri

Game suddenly got kind of hard. I feel like my monsters might not be up to par anymore.

What's the best way to go about building monsters? Running around trying to find rare dens for the better eggs (smellier and heavier) seems really inefficient. It'd be better if I had some of the ritual items that unlock gene slots, but I haven't found a single one yet (at the Volcano).

I'm also not really sure what genes I should really be going for, other than having at least one monster for each element. Any suggestions?

>Diablos anything
No

I can't help it, user. The wings are dumb, but the roar, and the attacks, and the gear you make from it... it's just so good.

what do you need besides maybe e+1

Nothing, he's a shitter.

it's shit anyway

Well I don't ever liked monster hunter but Stories is awesome and I want to know if I can play Stories and chat with them at the same time there because I can't do that here. And if there is voice chat maybe we can watch the anime at the same time and chat with the voice chat while watching together. It easiest to ask here first if we can do this before making a account for the discord. Thanks.

e+2, or Guard+2, pptentially even guard up
Neither can get through everything anyway.

you dont need to make accounts for discord, get spoonged you faggot infant

I'm loving Stories so far.

You won't find that anywhere.
Overkill, you don't need to evade or block everything, you're supposed to watch your positioning.

>And if there is voice chat maybe we can watch the anime at the same time and chat with the voice chat while watching together
hello redundancy department of redundancy

>Guard up
>Ever
Nigga you have a backhop
Literally everything that needs guard up besides maybe Zamtrios' laser (just because he can potentially do one of his other moves out of the startup) can easily be dodged.

I give you the gear and even the looks but the encounter itself is the definition of meh (not saying anything about difficultly) on its own and worse than meh when you factor in those flow breaking and easy as shit to dodge digging attacks. Any monster that has that shit is a minus 2 points in my out of 10 scale instantly.

Of course this is subjective and you can like whatever you want obviously but I just don't it mechanically unless a healthy dose of nostalgia is added to the mix. I mean I love Rathian because it was the first encounter that really hooked into the series so I can't judge you for anything.

some people play stories but it isn't being talked about much
and you wont find people to watch anime together no.
the shitposting has been worse than the thread lately though, you are warned.

Hi, /mhg/. Just wondering: Have you ever considered masturbating to a monster?

Dumb response from a retard who somehow forgot Lance and Gunlance are the slowest moving weapons, so yes they actually do need evasion and or guard to match the defensive or evasive utility of other weapons.

You need g+2 if you want to do the funnest lancing, which is counterlancing.

Guard up is a luxury, though.

e+2 is a waste of skill points, either take your training wheels with e+1 or go full cheese with e+3.

>Lance
>Slow
lol

>implying a single discordfaggot is decent enough to even make it past diorex

Literally the only use for Guard Up is Gravios, because it's the ONE time it actually saves time.
You're retarded if you seriously believe you need more than G+1 or E+1, sometimes G+2, they're not even that slow with long backhops and running stabs.
You don't need it because you can't counter most moves that need G+2 to be countered, basically you'll be stabbing the air, not the monster, better just block or evade.

Is switch axe just an inferior longsword?

Forgot to mention, this is Stories, if it wasn't obvious already.

This.
In XX Capcom had the right idea to add guard point to GL's moveset, but with how weak guard+2 was, it's all for naught.
I really hope they buff guard skill in World.

Where is Ash Kecha in stories at

Have you not played XX? Gunlance and Lance were goven extendes utility with guard points, but they're only as strong as the shield itself, requiring Guard skills to utilize them and make them even matter reliably. Meanwhile, DB, CB, and LS also get guard points that can phase through everything for free, so they dont have to waste skills on guard shit.
Alternatively if you want to dismiss those and use evasion, thats still skills the other weapons dont need. Even evasion1 is a 10 pt skill thatd be better used on attack buffs, when even evasion2 isnt enough to get past quite a lot of moves.

Dumb nigger.

The only shit +2 can't get past are roars and you can block roars, E+1 is more than enough.

Just got this little fucker
Gave him a cute name.

swaxe is more fun

>him

>Playing XX

>e+3
>playing 4u in 2017
Kill yourself. You should always assume people are talking about the newest game, that currently being XX. Hack your 3ds you dumbass.

You're in for a wild ride, that nigga is broken, give him Gendrome's parabite asap

>playing shit games

>playing the game with the robot

>Have you not played XX?
No I don't play trash

You cant e2 hop past lingering hitboxes. You can e2 hop through roars just fine, so really you're the shitter not knowing what you're talking about. Awful dumb of you to do that.

>said the retard playing 4U
If you're not still playing FU at the moment, your opinion is invalid.