/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Generic edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Military_interface#Alerts
bay12games.com/dwarves/
bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=165410.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for elves

2nd for elves

Real first for telling non-dwarves to fuck right the hell off.

Jesus Christ. I think I made my Dwarven murder machines a bit too emotionless.

Quarantine everyone in that combat log. It's worth having individually blockable rooms in your hospital for this.

Wait until next full moon and release the ones who don't turn.

If your werecreature is a good one (like a big creature, not a weretortoise or something) then lock them in a separate area underground, drop hear and victims down. Train them to become super soldiers. Congratulations, your fort is now invincible. Werecreatures don't need food or alcohol and fully healing from death every month.

If you cut one in half and resurrect the parts with a necro both halves will heal into clones.

>Hear
I mean gear, weapons, armor.
You can have them build their own workshops but they'll destroy them every month

>If you cut one in half and resurrect the parts with a necro both halves will heal into clones.
Neat.

Dwarves are literally the second worst race, they're just a step above kobolds.

Steel says you're literally the second worst class of poster, just a step above koboldfags.

Fat lotta good that steel is doing you, dwarves are always fucking dying in worldgen.

Sounds like you should've rebearded your women to help you Suck Less™ then.

Go complain to Toady, vanilla female dwarves don't have beards.

Read, nigga, "rebearded" is the key word.

>using modded dwarves instead of vanilla dwarves when comparing races
Sure thing Max, but in that case my modded kobolds are the best race.

>If you cut one in half and resurrect the parts with a necro both halves will heal into clones.
That bug existed for like 2 weeks in 2011 before it was fixed. Fake news.

>adding an accidentally removed [ ] back to a single line is modding

Ah it was fixed? Damn. We had an user get 3 undead were giant desert scorpions like that in 2013 something.

>accidentally removed
Oh Max you're such a riot, I don't know how you do it but you make me laugh every time.

What flavor do you give your fort /dfg/?

I always lock my artifacts in a vault behind 2 gold or playing
Platinum doors. I also have a hall of records in every fort. I engrave 20 wall tiles the same time every year to record the year's events. Well, I try to anyway, usually just get images of renditions of images of cheese

ANUS PARTY

>Well, I try to anyway, usually just get images of renditions of images of cheese
d-e-D

Help me, /dfg/
I've got an okay grasp of the military so far, but I don't understand what these "A" marks mean. I enabled them and can't seem to disable them, and I don't know if they did anything.
I have no special schedules yet, only Active Training all year.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Military_interface#Alerts

quarantining everyone is stupid. you'll risk infecting people who didn't even get hurt.

it's better to just read through the combat log and quarantine the people who actually got bitten through their skin.

Search through the combat logs for anyone who was bitten. The in-game view will probably say "no recent announcements" or something so go straight to gamelog.txt and get your ctrl+f on. This will take a long time if a lot of people were involved (I've done it myself), but it's pretty satisfying when the full moon hits and you watch only the quarantined dwarves turn and everyone else is safe.

See for why you shouldn't just sacrifice anyone involved in the battle.

I've had small birds fly into my house or onto my screened porch and freak out before. I've been bitten by scared dogs more than a few times. Once a customer brought his pet baby wallaby into the store I worked at, and it kind of panicked and knocked a bunch of shit down. It was cute as shit and wearing a custom-fitted diaper, though, so no one minded too much.
By all rights, this ought to be a lot worse than anything I've experienced with frightened animals in confined spaces, but it won't be. Still pretty funny. I wonder how long it will be stuck in my fort, I hope it's a long time.

That only lets you set the specifics of one tile at a time, as far as I can tell, making it incredibly tedious for doing a whole wall.

You're right, but if you're only doing 20 at a time it's not that big a deal. Since the option was included I've never given an engraver free reign to choose his own subject. It's not bad once you get used to it. You could even make a macro to specify image>related to site>filter>your fort to make it super fast, but you'll have no control over the subject beyond it being an event that happened at your fort (which is fine for me most of the time).

Oh yeah, he's properly stuck now. I think this guy is going to stick around a while.

>My first migrant wave is 6 kids and a peasant.
Thanks toady.

send him an email with the save file attached and he'll give you a refund

That helps, thank you, though I still don't know why I can't remove the Alert status from the squad.

Wait, never mind, I finally got it. To deactivate the status you just have to Activate them on a different alert. Can't believe I've been wondering about this for three days.

After you specify an image, you reuse choosing "use existing image".

I admire this guy's dedication, but why does he keep training/working instead of getting patched up? He can barely move.

tame it and make america: the fort
bonus points for wrestlers-only military brother

Probably permanent injuries in the hand, foot, and joints, definitely permanent injury in the spine, and smashed nails on the fingers which are unhealable due to a bug. The last will kill him from an infection (or possibly bleeding in some cases) eventually. You can fix the bug with a small mod that you can apply to a game in progress if you're interested.

Will that bug and also dwarves occasionally ignoring injuries or need for crutches etc. be fixed in the foreseeable future?
Overall the medical care system just seems kind of fucked. Toadycare when

f

Unlikely, Toodly has been tweaking hospitals and medical labors for something like a decade now. Believe it or not, it's a hell of a lot better than it has ever been before.

>wrestlers-only military
That ship sailed literally decades ago. We've got some elite wrestlers, but they're either dual shield wielders or marksdwarves in a mixed-weapon squad.
Anyway, it's not likely to ever touch the ground anywhere, much less anywhere I have a chance of predicting to place a cave trap. It could travel 157z and never leave open space or go outside of the dug portions of my fort. There's plenty of room for it, I'm sure it'll find a comfy niche to call its own eventually.

What's the best way to prevent trees from growing in an area, permanently?

I like to make memorials to the fb's my Dwarves have killed. Smoothed room with fortifications (so cave creatures can see what the fort is capable of defeating) as close to where they were killed as possible with their corpse and an engraving of the event.

pave it

Build roads, bridges, grates or floor bars there. Know that any of those will prevent you from building anything else on those tiles. You can do constructed floors instead if the ground there will never get wet (i.e., from moving water over it, rain is fine), and they don't have that limitation. Actually, any buildings or furniture will prevent plant growth on a tile, but the ones I listed are proper "floor" type things. Other passable furniture like supports or tables or querns or whatever will do it as well.

That's a nice idea. You should dump their remains into the rooms as well if possible, and add a statue of the dwarf who got the killing blow.

Btw, in case you didn't realize, your tileset installation is messed up. I'm guessing you changed to that one from Phoebus?

>You should dump their remains into the rooms as well if possible, and add a statue of the dwarf who got the killing blow.
Well their remains are there, that's their corpses.
>Btw, in case you didn't realize, your tileset installation is messed up. I'm guessing you changed to that one from Phoebus?
Yep, used LNP to install it over Phoebus and then did some raw fiddling which must've messed up the appearance. Don't know exactly the tiles work so I haven't dealt with it yet.

this is why tilesets shouldn't use changed raws.

Oh, I see now. Those are ribcages or something. I'm not real familiar with that tileset.
The ä wall tiles are the giveaway for switching from phoebus. It uses some slight raw mods to display as it intends, and I'm not aware of any other tilesets that do so. That's gemset, right? I don't think it makes any changes to inorganic_stone.txt, so you should just be able to grab it from a download of vanilla and copy it into the raw/objects folder of your save to fix it. If I'm wrong about gemset then the worst that would happen is that you would have similarly incorrect wall tiles, and you could always keep a copy of the other inorganic_stone in case you like it wrong more the way it's wrong now than the way it would be wrong then.

Oh, and if you've edited inorganic_stone then you should either not do that, or make sure to replicate your edits in the replacement .txt.

Thanks, didn't realize it would be as easy as replacing my stone raws with the vanilla ones. Looks much better now.

How old is Relicwebs at this point?

How does a ballista battery look, exactly? I'm trying to make mine but the screwy formatting on chrome is making it hard to understand the diagrams.

About to be 24. I play slowly and take long breaks.

Stagger them so that when the ballista is loaded, the ballista bolt of each successive ballista in the battery is pointing through 3 edge tiles of the one proceeding it. So in a 3 ballista battery, you would have them in a 5x9 room, with each bolt pointing down 1 row of a 3-wide hall. That may sound complicated, but it really isn't. I can't show you because I don't have any forts on hand with them, I don't find them to be effective enough to justify the effort of designing your fort's defense around them. The main problem is that they're operated by civilians, who will run away (or charge into battle) when they see an enemy.

I used to ignore any people trying to visit my fort because I could barely handle more than 50dwarves at once, but now i've accepted nearly 70+ visitors. I may seem generous but its only because I've been slowly mining around the fort structure and plan to pull a "drop the entire fort into itself" lever when I reach 100+ visitors.
Is there any way I could make it better?
I was thinking of waiting until a necromancer comes so when 150 people die all at once the necromancer has a field day trying to figure out how to get 150corpses out of a cavern 10z levels deep.

does this game actually get fun once you set up a sustainable fortress?

like what do you do? defend against sieges? build more shit? can you send dwarves out into the world to conquer shit? or do you just kind of manage things? i can't tell if there's a payoff to learning the game.

If there's natural stone above the visitors they'll be buried and a necromancer won't be able to see them to resurrect them. Dig out everything above any locations that allow visitors and rebuild the roofs with constructions if you want to do that. I suppose you could also pasture any livestock or pets you have in the tavern as well, just to add some more meat to the occassion. Maybe unleash an FB or megabeast, or a horde of wild cavern creatures on your visitors before you drop them to enhance the carnage even more. Some stockpiles of weapons that aren't in bins will turn the whole cave in into a blender on the way down, which could make for some entertaining combat reports. Maybe make the whole thing into a magma piston for the fuck of it, although that would ruin any necro-involvement.
Most important, make sure at least one of your citizens survives so you can enjoy the afrermath.

That's not bad. My fort is just over six years old, and I started it in the middle of last year. I haven't even breached the caverns yet and it's quite barebones and sloppy in most aspects.

If you have to ask that question then the answer, for you, is probably no. Honestly, that's the case with a lot of stuff, if you have to ask "When does doing this start being fun?" the answer is essentially "If you're not already having fun with this, you never will."

That said, it is possible you can change the way you're thinking about it, set yourself some goals and/or restrictions and have fun working with them, like . The most fun I've ever had in DF was in 40d, back in 2010 when I decided to embark on a sinister marsh with no items whatsoever. It took me three tries before I could get any of my dwarves to survive long enough to buy a pick.

I created a 10x10 floor slab of various metals like platinum, bismuth, pig iron, black bronze etc.
There are about 4 more floors to collapse.

The immediate aftermath.
Not as bad as I thought it would be.

i'm only like halfway thru the quickstart guide on the wiki and i've had a bit of fun so i'm still feeling it out but i thought this game was like a much more in-depth age of empires. i'm pretty disappointed to learn that you can't leave your embark site. maybe as i come across more and more of the features i'll find it more interesting. it might just not be for me though. it feels like a tease to build up a fortress and everything just so that you can.. continue to improve it? defend against the occasional siege? would be way more intriguing to me if you could really do something with your fortress like build a military and try to topple other fortresses and build an empire.

>can't leave the embark site.
There are roundabout ways of doing it. You can enter adventure mode and do stuff there, or wait until october for the update which lets you send military squads out to other locations and have them raid it.
But no, its not really a civ game.

that update sounds cool, where'd you read about it?

bay12games.com/dwarves/

>wait until october
laughingtoady.jpg

that doesn't say anything about an update coming out in october.

except it does. it's the development blog. if you click on "development", you can also see the upcoming features for the next release.

the page you linked doesn't, and neither does the development page, which i'd already checked out. i can literally ctrl-f search october and see that no relevant results come up. where are you getting this october date?

He is an optimist user. We don't know when the update will come, only that is """"soon""""

>i'm only like halfway thru the quickstart guide on the wiki
As I was saying a thread or two ago, following guides ruins games for newbies, especially in DF's case. An awful lot of the fun is in figuring out your own ways of doing what you want done.

Is there any animal already in the game with different sizes for males and females? Im not sure how to mod this

Depends on the person, I usually use build guides in most RPGs but I still have fun.

read the links in the entries:
bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=165410.0

hey we finally solved the puzzle!

>adding an accidentally removed [ ] back to a single line is modding
but it is
Even if it was an accident, which is not, it will still be modding, you know that, right?

i tried starting this game without a guide and i quickly learned that it is not the game to learn from scratch. i'm using the quickstart guide to learn the basics and become familiar with shit then i'll move on to trying stuff out on my own.

castes? gee user

I just put different body_size in the castes, just wanted to check if its correct

>tfw enlightened by toggle cat
>tfw you give each dwarf exactly one entire skill category, nothing more, nothing less
who /retarded/ here?

Me.

Well I heard that toggling cats turns dwarves gay, they're putting it in the wells.

>tfw enlightened by toggle cat
explain

on the v-p-l screen

>he doesn't toggle his cats
Do you even dwarf?

>this is now your teacher in uni
what do?

Wonder how the fuck did I get into uni

Wonder why the fuck I'm back in uni

Wonder how the fuck I made it to class given my crippling depression

>ever leaving uni
>not becoming a humanities scholar and getting paid with taxpayer's money for writing obscurantist articles on "lacanian perspectives on trans women"
good wagie, someone's got to do the hard work too.

I'm the guy who mentioned adamantine crutches. It started when I got an artifact adamantine crutch (which I think I posted about on here). Someone said that it was like cyborging up a dwarf, so from then on I've made about 5 adamantine crutches every time I strike a new vein of the stuff. It's autistic as hell, but it feels like a milestone for me in each fort it happens in. Anyway, it doesn't take that many wafers.

exactly how would an adamantine crutch "cyborg up a dwarf"? crutches can be used as misc weapons, but then, the only thing that matters is the weight, making heavy materials like copper, silver and platinum superior.

are possibly mixing it up that fake story about adamantine sutures/bandages?

Wait until he begins teaching and then start an individual math drill

I'm aware that an adamantine crutch doesn't provide any tangible advantages, but it's still funny to image it as the pinnacle of dwarven technology being applied to some broken up peasant.

I've seen worse.

>A: 89.5% - 100%