/hg/ - Halo General

#347 - Reach's 7th Birthday Edition

Welcome to Halo General. Here we discuss the Halo games, expanded universe, and fan projects. Discussion of general Xbox developments, news, and games is also allowed unless stated otherwise.

>SPV3 is now publicly available for free download on PC
- the entire Halo CE campaign re-imagined with new areas, enemies, and features
- Downloading is free and only requires a working version of Halo Custom Edition
mediafire.com/file/jy6nfbnrwnqhtb9/SPV3.1.0f.zip

>Latest Halo Community Update
halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/chasing-shadows

>Important Halo Links and Notes
pastebin.com/TEdXes5c

>Spartan Company:
halowaypoint.com/en-us/spartan-companies/halo general

>Xbox One clips and screenshots
xboxdvr.com/
xboxclips.com/

>>>Halo News

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/5CUQ6ESm
xboxdvr.com/gamer/Chaosdroid 2/video/36431843
dumpert.nl/mediabase/6360201/55accf1e/gamerskills.html
boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/188893509/#188996189
boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/188893509/#188971394
youtu.be/loX1d6PUiEE?t=2m19s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Should I get some Reach going right now?

Yes

Happy Birthday, Reach

Fine, I'm turning it on. We'll do invasion first.

I knew I should've brought my Xbox Juan to college. Have fun for me lads.

Alright I'm hopping on

I'll honor your memory every time I use armor lock

No.

>343 killed the Reach servers on its birthday

Please don't joke like that
it is a joke, right?

Sweaty and I had to restart the game a few times to see our armor and the matchmaking playlists.
It still lacks a player count number for each playlist.

You are currently browsing /hg/ thread #347.
The featured map is "Urban"

>Previous 50 threads
#346 - Hot Glue #345 - NFL #344 - Late Summer Glow #343 - 343 Industries #342 - Superintendent #341 - YapYap the Destroyer #340 - Flash Flood
#339 - Halo needs another anime desu
#338 - SPV3
#337 - Compromise
#336 - And now it begins
#335 - Action Figures
#334 - Veto
#333 - Updated Pastebin
#332 - The Big Chill
#331 pt. 2 - Press F for Serina
#331 pt. 1 - Serina
#330 - Operation Spearbreaker
#329 - The Longest Night
#328 - Final Four
#327 - Summer Celebration
#326 - And it was all going so well
#325 - Summer Content
#324 - Inane Arguments
#323 - Jesus falls for the third time
#322 - Fucking WHY?
#321 - Technical Difficulties
#320 - Awakening the Nightmare
#319 - Post Tournament Vacation
#318 - Icons of War
#317 - At least do it right
#316 - We are still here
#315 - Never Give Up
#314 - Final
#313 - Xbox One X
#312 - E3 2017
#311 - Imagine Being Chief in this Scene
#310 - SGT Johnson
#309 - 16-Bit
#308 - 8-Bit
#307 - Banished
#306 - Post GT
#305 - Halo Triple
#304 - Colony
#303 - Custom Warzone
#302 - Customized Gamerpics
#301 - Easter
#300 - Breakthrough
#299 - ITT We Discuss Halo
#298 - Scorpio Specs

For even older /hg/ threads, check the archive here:
pastebin.com/5CUQ6ESm

What can you even do once prometheans are in the base?

Reach party is up. I'm assuming it will stay up for a while

>it's a "343 fucks the servers" episode
xboxdvr.com/gamer/Chaosdroid 2/video/36431843

>split screen in
>LAN in
>Chief only
>Less whack fucked story/narrative
>All content day one
>Guy who had bad story ideas is gone
>Forge head is now MP lead
>black under suits
>Not completly being rushed

Can Halo 6 completly BTFO out of every other big game of its year and bring back the Halo3 level of numbers and halo hype?

Most of those aren't confirmed. Just that they're "looking into them."
This is also the company that said that "Halo 5 will launch with Assault" as a game mode.

Ok FIX warzone. But you can't delet

>More maps
>Custom games
>Forge
>Firefight would have pure classic mode like Reach/ODST and Halo 5 versions
>No cookie cutter bases. Have UNSC themes. Covenant. Forunner. Fancy. Trashy. Old. New. Etc
>Keep REQS since honestly they arent too bad and only need some tweeks like...

>Less random Req packs. Packs are based on how you play. Weapons. Like sniping or such would unlock more long range. Vehicle skills give vehicles. So on. Make your play style determine your reqs

>More game modes. Including FFA and Race

Ok. What would you do?

>All content day one
>Forge head is now MP lead
>black under suits
>Not completly being rushed
is all that true?
source?

Only the second one is true. But he recently revealed that he intends on keeping all of 5's gameplay faults in, telling anyone that wanted a better experience to "go play Halo 2."
And he said this knowing that MCC is still broken.

Sawce of stfu

His twitter. Someone probably has the screencap.

Is the Reach party still up?

343 killed the servers today.

Will 343 learn from what Halo Wars 2 did right, or will they continue their shit aesthetic?

Why do people keep saying smart scope is ADS?

They've sort of dug themselves in a hole there because the new visual aeshetic/new designs are also new in universe models for those weapons, vehicles, ships, etc.

They'd have to bullshit a reason why the UNSC switched back after just 8 years of using the new stuff.

I'm the guy in this video. What do you think?

dumpert.nl/mediabase/6360201/55accf1e/gamerskills.html

>Why do people keep saying smart scope is ADS?
Because other than being kicked out of it when it, it's the same. It increases the range, magnetism, and aim assist of all weapons in the game. Even the sword.

I remember some dumb youtuber coming up with a decent explanation as to how but I forget now what it was

but zoom increased accuracy of guns also

Smart scope is just zoom with a different aeshetic and on more guns. You get kicked out of it, it doesn't impact your movement speed, and it's not needed for accurate fire.

>it's not needed for accurate fire.
Except this is only something perpetuated by recent CoD games. ADS existed back when you could hipfire accurately. Didn't stop it from being ADS.
You were blown out by like three people just the other day. Don't start this shit again.

>Except this is only something perpetuated by recent CoD games.

Hardly. In earlier CoD games and games with ADS it certainly wasn't as needed as it was now, but not nearly to the same extent here. The guns in Halo 5 even outside of smart scope are the most accurate every weapon in the game has ever been in the series. To claim that smart scope acts like ADS is ridiclious

>You were blown out by like three people just the other day.
I only started to browse /hg/ again since like 2 years ago yesterday, whoeever you are talking about isn't me. I'd be happy to read the archive link though if you have it to see what was said.

>tfw no Halo 5: Master Chief & Friends Superstars Adventures in Dreamland

>I only started to browse /hg/ again since like 2 years ago yesterday, whoeever you are talking about isn't me.
Yeah, you just happen to post the same webm with the same filename while making the same argument.
Fuck off.

I saved the webm from /v/ a month or two ago, i'm not the only person ho has it.

My first post in /hg/ in years was this boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/188893509/#188996189

Will banned user ever reveal his gt or was it a ruse all along?

boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/188893509/#188971394
You even post with the same shitty reddit spacing. You're not even trying to hide it.
Just fuck off.

Sprint and smartscope has no place in Halo.

I'm the guy from the other thread, he probably saved the webm i posted. Seems like you're still mad and using the same shitty non-arguments huh?

>You were blown out by like three people just the other day. Don't start this shit again.
Stop making things up, it was only 1 guy against me alone and he couldn't come up with a decent argument to debunk what i was saying.

>already samefagging before
>somehow samefagging harder will prove everyone else wrong

>Why do people keep saying smart scope is ADS?
Look man, I'm probably one of the only people here who actually agrees with you on this, but it's not an argument we'll be winning. Most people are dead set on calling the mechanic in H5 "ADS", contradicting that only serves to make you look autistic, and your entire position autistic by proxy.

>muh filenames
>le reddit spacing meme
>trying to use someone's alleged identity to attack them instead of an actual discussion
Are you going to bring up "posting style" now? Fuck off back to /v/.

Neither does the battle rifle

And I want to play a game where the players just melee each other without the game using high skill intensive mechanic for them.

>you were blown pyt by 3 people

Mob mentality means nothing, liberal

>prove everyone else wrong
I already did that when he had this discussion days ago. I posted vids, i gave solid arguments, you came up with nothing besides "muh left trigger default controls".

>Most people are dead set on calling the mechanic in H5 "ADS"
Not that user but H5 definitely has ADS by definition but what triggers me is the retards who think that it automatically makes the gameplay like CoD , which is objectively wrong.

>I posted vids, i gave solid arguments
Your own videos proved you wrong and your "solid arguments" were making up arguments for other people and then attacking those arguments that nobody made.
Halo 5 has ADS and it's a bad system that fucked the balance, which has now caused the BR to be nerfed to shit and automatics just removed from play.

>your video was wrong because i said so
>arguments backed with real data with practical examples and scenarios aren't solid arguments
So many lies holy shit, either that or your mind twists reality the way you want to see it. Have a nice day mr. sperglord, i'm not arguing with a wall again.

We already posted the archive that shows it.

You cheeky motherfucker have a way to make me reply every time. Ok i'll bite, here's the archived thread Show me were you proved me wrong.
I clearly stated and i'll quote myself:
>"In Halo 5, 90% of the time you'll be shooting from the hip with your BR/Magnum if you're playing right. Why? Because the difference in accuracy between smart scoping and hip-firing are minuscule and only perceptible if you're testing it against a wall."
Perfectly demonstrated in the video, which i'll post again in case you're lazy:
youtu.be/loX1d6PUiEE?t=2m19s

And we already covered early on that your video shows shooting at a still wall, not aim assist and bullet magnetism.

>not aim assist and bullet magnetism
...which have always been improved when using zoom-in/ADS in the whole Halo series. We went over this already, you replied the same thing last time and i then replied the same as i'm doing now. Just click the archived thread so you can avoid stepping on your same old shitty non-arguments.
If you don't like zooming-in benefiting the way shooting/aiming works, then maybe you should look for a different FPS series.

>If you don't like zooming-in benefiting the way shooting/aiming works, then maybe you should look for a different FPS series.
See it's funny you say this, because Halo NOT having ADS on every weapon was one thing that set it apart. And for this
>...which have always been improved when using zoom-in/ADS in the whole Halo series.
Well that's just wrong. It was only for a few exclusive weapons and was what made those weapons different.

Should I run to FUCKING GAMESTOP tomorrow and get a new copy of Reach? Mine is JUST'd.

Do you think the halo community is becoming autistic like the sonic community?

Sonic and halo have always had an overlapping fanbase

No. Halos community is just an ass head of nostalgia goggles and back pedlig

First Halo 2 is hated. Halo2sucks.com. boards flooded with hate. Halo 2 noobfied videos. Later is liked

Halo 3 gets less hate but anyone who was around the New Mombasa and Zanzibar formula knew it had tons of hate and people hating it or talking shit l.

Reach got more hate than 3 but less then 2 did. And now its liked

Halo 4 was bashed obviously and now I see people here say some of it was good or such

Ten years after halo 4-5-6 are out I bet you will go back to them remembering the games you played. Forgetting reasons you hated it. And youll like them more. Maybe not as much as classic Halo. But those who said Halo 2 was cancer and ruined Halo are probably the ones who jizzed when it came out for MCC.

>H5 definitely has ADS by definition but what triggers me is the retards who think that it automatically makes the gameplay like CoD , which is objectively wrong.
The thing is, when people say it has "ADS", they're referring to the mechanic in games like CoD or battlefield, a mechanic that Halo does not have.

Halo 5 has merely extended the ability to increase red reticle range at a cost of visibility, which many guns have had since CE, to all weapons. It's not literally ADS because many guns do not even have sights, the zoom in animation just brings the gun in a little. And some of the guns with sights retain the old visual style of zooming in. So yes, you do "aim down the sights" of some weapons, but not most, and the ones that you do either have always had a zoom function or are weapon variants with different sights that would enable a zoom function. So the argument that H5 "literally" has ADS isn't even true.

But that ignores the main problem. People are labeling a game mechanic based on it's visual similarity to a mechanic in other games, which is idiotic. If two mechanics aren't MECHANICALLY similar, you shouldn't refer to them as the same mechanic. You yourself say that it doesn't make the gameplay more like CoD which I agree with, but if you acknowledge that two gameplay mechanics don't make two games more similar to each other, shouldn't you not refer to them as the same mechanic? Giving two different things the same name is just obfuscating and only leads to people using the presence of "ADS" in halo 5 as a point to say it's like CoD.

I don't necessarily LIKE the system, but it isn't ADS.

Typing "smart scoping" takes too long.

That's fair.

Like I said, it's something I have pretty strong opinions about but never post about because it makes me look extremely autistic.

>they're referring to the mechanic in games like CoD or battlefield, a mechanic that Halo does not have.
When you have to make up an argument that somebody else didn't make just to try and be right, you might be wrong.

Seems like the Spartans are aiming down the sight of the BR to me, ADSing if you will. I don't like it aesthetically, and it's easier to type "ADS" than "smart scope" every time. I don't give a shit that it's been in classic Halo under a different name. I want zoom to look classic and not apply to automatics without a scope, the sword, the hammer, etc.

I can get not wanting it on the melee weapons, but it should stay on the automatics, or at least the AR in particular.

5 is the first time they can actually hit past like 10 feet, and the AR's entire niche is a mid range usable automatic.

There's nothing wrong with all guns having a zoom in function, as long as its only benefit is an increase in red reticle and aim assist range, NOT accuracy/bullet spread. Hopefully H6 will be like this.

post modernist halo or classical halo. who would win? classical halo_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I believe all Halo games are the best Halo. Prove me wrong.

What is the best Halo game and why is it Reach?

wew lad
still down to boost with you guys whenever Halo 3 gets added to back compat

Oh we're boosting super fucking hard when 3 comes back. I need the FFA achievements.
>tfw ODST Firefight lobbies soon

I can't say its full ADS since the AR. Plasma weapons and other weapons are clearly not down the iron sights

Though I think scoped weapons (with a physical scope) should be more classic. Yet having it like it is now isn't that bad.

Look as long as we still have classic scopes and as long as half the guns dont magically spawn iron sights then its fine.

>I can finally get my vidmaster and firefight cheevos

Only auto that should change is the SMG. Make it more classic and have its SS version be like the AR.

I do like how plasma weapons have holograms sights. Thats pretty cool

They can give every weapon iron sights as long as they remove sprint for all I care.

>AR
>not down the sights
343 invented a hologram sight projection system just for the UNSC weapons this game. They're down the sights.

>some time in 2009
>struggle to find people still wanting the achievements
>finally find a group of Americans with thick southern accents
>try to boost the spartan laser triple kill achievement
>accidentally get it legitimately
>rednecks go nuts hooting and cheering and deafen me in my right ear

that was a fun night.

Youre really stretching what ADS means. If it was looking down the top of the gun like the BR id agree.

AR has a more classic FPS "aim system ". Look at Golden Eye. Your screen zooms but your gun is still on the side.

>saying that "aiming down the sights" is a stretch about aiming down the sights
Jesus fuck, you're retarded.

But having your screen zoom in is not the same as looking down the spine of your gun down physical iron sights.

Name ONE gun in COD that zooms like the AR. Without bringing up wierd sci fi COD duel machine gun weapons.

>But having your screen zoom in is not the same as looking down the spine of your gun down physical iron sights.
The game gives you a sight. It's a canon sight that the UNSC weapons share. And don't forget that the Recon AR exists.
>Without bringing up wierd sci fi COD
See, you know that you're wrong but you have to cry that I can't use the answers that prove you wrong. But don't worry. 343 already put ironsights on the AR, even ones that fit your moved goalposts.

Halo can't be saved user

Hey guys guys listen
what if, seriously guys listen
what if on the armor we put
guys srsly
what if we put 117
now follow me here
but we do it in braille
in braille guys

No reach gamenight?

It works on my machine

>cheif only being a good thing

Chief's story should have ended in Halo 3. 343i appealing to dudebros to have him in every game moving foward is one of the worst things to happen in the franchise

Big Red here. Sorry I can't join you all for Reach right now (the TV is occupied), but please send the game my regards and wish it the best on its special day. I still remember that very night seven years ago, waiting in line at gamestop like it was yesterday. There's a lot that can and has been said about Reach, but I think we can all agree, on some level, that it left a lasting impression on the series that really stands alone. Nothing else is quite like Reach, before or after. From the very first opening titles screen when that music starts up, you knew there was something unique about the game. I'm not sure It's an experience I'd ever like to see replicated or improved, like I do with other Halos. I think Reach with all its specialties and flaws remains best alone. A unique artifact left to time, but one that will never be forgotten.

I'll try to play it with you guys next time.

That was probably the most neutral statement you could have possibly made on the game. Just say whether you like it or not so we can shit on your opinion.

Red is a filthy moderate. All of his opinions have that bland "playing the field" vibe.

It didn't work on at least ten machines earlier today.

I have plenty of controversial opinions, I just know better than to share them with this lot. But don't worry, user, you're still my friend.

I know what ya mean, Red. I'd never share that I'm a liberal with this lot.

Yeah, totally. No one has ever used "has ADS" as a point to show that H5 is "CoD-like". I just made that up, you caught me.

>2 hours ago

Hit a little snag. Sorry.
Round 4 will begin tomorrow afternoon.

I swear to God if there are only like 2 votes in the next poll...

Is it really wort it to learn Bumper Jumper?

No. Learn boxer. Only downside is that it's harder to hijack, but Halo 5 has almost no vehicles in it anyways.

No.

Gonna be honest. First week of getting used to jumper jumper was rough. Reloaded many times when I meant to melee (I used to use Recon). But, now that I've been using bumper jumper for a few years, I couldn't imagine going back. It's so nice to be able to jump and aim without clawing.