Converting to a denomination

Currently I am a non-denominational Christian, but should I convert to a denomination? I was thinking about Orthodox but should I join something else or remain non-denominational?

Other urls found in this thread:

journeytoorthodoxy.com/2014/07/why-would-a-protestant-convert-to-eastern-orthodox-christianity/
fromprotestanttoorthodox.blogspot.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=LIk1So-DAZU
youtube.com/watch?v=JL6dwfJ60es
youtube.com/watch?v=-WLTcfWOKB4
youtube.com/watch?v=Hwz62uU0K_I
youtube.com/watch?v=mdXJzgtiM4E
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_apocrypha#Pseudepigrapha
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Presbyterian

Well, you very well could remain non-denominational. There is nothing wrong with that. I am a recent Orthodox convert, so it could be said that I am biased, but I would recommend Orthodoxy. Receiving salvation through Christ feels so much better when you have to work for it. God bless.

What prompted you to become a christian in the first place and what is prompting you to change denomination?

Become a Cathar OP. Gain the power to out debate cathlicucks.

I was raised Baptist, but then I realized that there were all these denominations and I thought that they were all pointless, but, I now have an interest in it again. So that is why I might join a denomination.

how the fuck is this Veeky Forums related

Can't go wrong with the apostolic churches - Catholic, Orthodox, and Assyrian.

Well what do you think seperates a true denomination from a false one?

That picture is a tad deceptive given how early christianity was by no means that unified.

It was unified as much as you could expect it to be given the circumstances.

>Assyrian
Too bad that church will go bust soon cause of members being diagnosed with the strange case of "missing heads" or other christian churches simply not giving a fuck about them.

Not really, the nature of christ and position of the trinity, two core doctrines hadnt even been hammered.

>He hasn't read the church fathers

Yes, Unitarians practice heresy.

>He hasn't read the church fathers
You mean the writings preserved by the faction that won?

journeytoorthodoxy.com/2014/07/why-would-a-protestant-convert-to-eastern-orthodox-christianity/
fromprotestanttoorthodox.blogspot.com/

Here is some videos from the protesant and Catholic sides on Orthodoxy.

youtube.com/watch?v=LIk1So-DAZU

youtube.com/watch?v=JL6dwfJ60es

youtube.com/watch?v=-WLTcfWOKB4

A Catholic view

youtube.com/watch?v=Hwz62uU0K_I

>Implying anyone had that much control early on

If there was widespread disagreements of fundamental tenets, there would have been records of it. Even if the original heretical documents were destroyed, there would be secondary documents recording the fact they existed, quoting them to show what crap they had, and what was to be done about them like with later heresies.

>If there was widespread disagreements of fundamental tenets, there would have been records of it. Even if the original heretical documents were destroyed, there would be secondary documents recording the fact they existed, quoting them to show what crap they had, and what was to be done about them like with later heresies.

There was the support and wealth of the Roman Government and citizens in it. As for the second point its a terrible substitute it would be akin to saying that there is no problem relying on Soviet documentation on the Church because they would have to record the truth in order to refute it.

No religion has a a good record when it comes to preserving opposing arguments both historically and in current times.

youtube.com/watch?v=mdXJzgtiM4E

adding to this at best we have fragments of what the Roman backed Church stated their arguments to be, we have none of their works available. Surely you can see how you are giving christians a uniquely soft standard here?

Not that user, but the True Faith will always survive, that's how despite everything, Orthodoxy still is here. >Heresies, Latins, Muslims, Ottomans, Communism, Enlightenment, etc.

More on topic, you know that the Roman Government and various Emperors endorsed and tried to enforce heresies, right? Arianism, Modialism, Monothelitism, Iconoclasm, even Union supporting Papism at one late point. Clearly what the authorities supported wasn't always right. Heresies are what was not always believed (truth) by all Christians at the first centuries as those fundamental beliefs are in line with Christ's teachings and his Apostles as they established the Church around the known world.

>>There was the support and wealth of the Roman Government and citizens in it

That wouldn't happen until centuries later. We have tons of documents from beforehand in line with orthodoxy. Many of these documents have been discovered in only the last few centuries being discovered purely by chance. If they're were major breaks, we would have surely stumbled upon some evidence by now by this random sampling.

>What if the Nazis took over half of America and the Americans destroyed all records of it after WWII to hide their failures.
>What if Hitler was only a president and was made into The Fuhrer after the war
>What if Hitler was made up and there was never a leader of Nazi Germany

Until you have any evidence backing up a claim, it's all wild speculation. Check your confirmation bias.

go away Constie, you're showing your shallow understanding of everything

sauce?

I'm not Constantine, and you didn't even try to refute anything but instead attempted some ad homs.

Fucking k*rds

>Not that user, but the True Faith will always survive, that's how despite everything, Orthodoxy still is here. >Heresies, Latins, Muslims, Ottomans, Communism, Enlightenment, etc.

So is Islam, Hinduism, Jainism, Shinto despite all the pressures rallied against it.

>More on topic,....

Its not like a game where it is best two out of three what ever wins last wins overall, all the documentation from those opposing groups was literally destroyed and at best lost by the hands of the state. We will never know what authorities and church figures they had their arguments.

>Heresies are what was not always believed (truth) by all Christians at the first centuries as those fundamental beliefs are in line with Christ's teachings and his Apostles as they established the Church around the known world.

And what we know of this period is controlled solely by the faction that one over the Roman state.

>That wouldn't happen until centuries later. We have tons of documents from beforehand in line with orthodoxy.

Which is what is told by the victorious faction, did you know that most documented on Hubbards life support the views held by the Church of Scientology?

>If they're were major breaks, we would have surely stumbled upon some evidence by now by this random sampling.

Less than 1% of documentation from ancient times survive and that was in a illiterate society were documentation was extremely rare. Documents could only survive under exceptional circumstances let alone when people were trying to destroy them

Likewise most of these finds you talk about are simply fragments of the bible rather than apostolic teachings which is what would have been most signifigant

p1

p2.

>< these documents have been discovered in only the last few centuries being discovered purely by chance. If they're were major breaks, we would have surely stumbled upon some evidence by now by this random sampling.

Most of those documents are once again just parts of the bible rather than commenters. Let it sink in that not a single source of ancient criticism of the church was preserved all we have is a few tiny quotes.

Likewise its kind of strange to assume that unless an argument created a giant split it must have been false.

>Until you have any evidence backing up a claim, it's all wild speculation. Check your confirmation bias.

Check your own, we have extensive documentation and first hand accounts and literal artificats and primary sources, from all parties involved not just those preserved by one country alone.

-We know that the Catholic+Orthodox Church used the Roman state to destroy documents they did agree with

-We know that their were critics of the early church and that their works were not preserved - even when emperors wrote them

-We know that the nature of Christ and the trinity were not well established and hotly debated

-We know that despite this none of the works of any of these competing views were preserved.

This is not wild speculation.

p3.

Then people like you come along, and give one specific religious group a special standard that gives them a separate standard of truth.

This becomes real apparent when you study modern and comparative religion. Far from being pure and having an unbroken chain all you get is a group who is able to use the veil of time and have their works preserved over others.

i thought kurds were the good guys

Also bonus points, Christian Church in Roman times was plagued with Christian writers falsely or mistakenly attributing words and ideas to earlier figures

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_apocrypha#Pseudepigrapha

Why do you think all those areas in eastern Turkey that used to house peaceful christian Armenian/Assyrian communities just disappeared while being filled with k*rds today?
Because we carried out a "genocide" when we were already on our limit in fighting in WW1 with no troops to spare?

I honestly feel bad for armenians still blaming us today while holding hands with the k*rds. It's the worst case of stockholm syndrome I've ever seen.

religion

Nothing exactly, I just wonder why there are so many of them.

Different interpretations on the bible and traditions as well as different points of focus. Then combine that with cultural and political factors

>ever doing anything except following your heart and what is revealed
Just pray on it OP.

I'd avoid Orthodox because they're always intricately linked to whatever nationality they cater to. If you start going to Greek Orthodox you'll always be considered that weird outsider that's larping. Just my two cents as a Catholic.

The very word Christian means follower of Christ. Why seek out any specific religion at all? Why the need to follow man made ideologies? Just read the word and do as Jesus instructed, find other people to go with you in doing as Jesus instructed. Men are fallible, they corrupt things even with the best of intentions. Assuming they have the best of intentions. Religious organizations these days remind me of the ferisees and sadducees that Jesus spoke against.
I'm not saying there aren't good christian organizations or leaders, people who though fallible are humble followers of Christ. Just don't expect to find those people in a big fancy building full of wealthy people exercising their faith from a pew.

I would not recommend you join any church, people who join religions as adults always end up getting burnt and turning atheist.

>There was the support and wealth of the Roman Government and citizens in it.
Not in the first and second century lol