>1.06 Patch Notes (15/09/17)
steamcommunity.com/app/473690/discussions/0/2765630416809899489/

>1.05 Patch Notes (08/09/17)
steamcommunity.com/app/473690/discussions/0/1474221865183656667/

>Wikis
absolver.gamepedia.com/Absolver_Wiki
absolver.wiki.fextralife.com/Absolver Wiki

>General information on Moves, Stats, and Equipment
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1daBCKJLmp8R-Lecohk--yGjLaiocSDDInZQdR4O8Zm0/edit#gid=1698220040

>Hairstyles in game
imgur.com/a/TlMXk
imgur.com/a/rm56U

>Where the fuck is XYZ?
youtube.com/watch?v=bhDUJMP527k

Other urls found in this thread:

rockpapershotgun.com/2017/09/13/absolver-man-expands-on-plans-for-fighting-fans/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how could you guys let the thread die edition

Watched the VOD of this Twitch "tournament". I'm completely unimpressed with the people who died repeatedly to pretty much nothing but Grab Punch spam. They kept trying to initiate with single attacks with sub-100 damage against someone standing in backstance. You should KNOW that if you do you're going to get grabpunched. But no, I'll try to counter-jab after I recover from the hitstun of the third Grab Punch, maybe he won't use it a fourth time.

First rule of fighting game strats, if it's clearly working, keep on using it, and let your opponent kill themselves on you.

Almost no one brought stopping moves and the people who did had them in extremely predictable positions. No good options for mixups. micha was basically free to use Grab Punch whenever the fuck he wanted without being afraid of getting Stopped at all, and nearly no one was using heavy 130+ hits to keep him honest.

so basically all the tourneyfags were bad?

where can I find the footages

Pretty much. Superficially they were paying attention to the meta and most of them were packing "meta-tier" moves and playing Forsaken. But their fundamentals were pretty much garbage, which is how one idiot spamming Grab Punch a whole lot (the meta-mindset of "stopping attacks aren't worth taking/dedicating an alternate attack slot to" didn't help at all) was able to get to the top. It's funny because people complain about the beyblade-spinning arms punch a ton specifically because it beats Grab Punch: even if you're too late with it to interrupt with the double-hit, you're still ducked, so you're safe from the Grab Punch.

www twitch tv/videos/174940002

>the spammer spamfucked the annoying tranny(GreyMaiden) in the semi-finals, this tranny is supposedly the most knowledgeable streamer of this game

It wasn't all bad at least, did none of them think of using at least one charge breaker or two-hitters in their decks?

There were some breaking attacks sprinkled here and there, but breaking attacks are too slow to REACT to Grab Punch with, so you have to use stopping or double-hits. Double-hits seemed to be pretty liberally sprinkled around in chains, but for some reason not in openers or alts - which is where you NEED them to counter charged attack spam in general.

>Little sensei's profile is private
Did he get shitton of salty messages about spamming or something?

is greymaiden like a tranny dsp or something, his fans seemed to all call lag when he lost to micha

Anyone got a good mentor deck on PS4? I'm getting my ass wrecked in trials and I want to try something new

new deck

started out for the aesthetics of jumped light kick > rising kick

Apparently greymaiden was streaming the fight from his end as well, and micha was noticeably rubber-banding/teleporting from his end.

It would certainly explain why greymaiden was so blindly aggressive. Even discounting the tilting effects of lag, turtling and playing reactively when suffering from bad latency is 100% a losing proposition.

It looks goofy

no image attached, oops

PSN?

i'm on PC

>Paired with same 3 laggers over and over

ded game

How system intensive is this compared to AAA games?

My fans on it's last legs and I don't want the pc to overheat but it's only an issue on shit like Watch dogs 2

It seems all long ranged moves are slow as fuck even though they are supposed to be the fast ones

Tbh honest, I'm not a fan of GCOD and wish they never added it into CFEX.
Wonder what other mechanics will be in TAG.

Wew

I did it again

you more or less need to have at least half your deck dedicated to anti-grab punch moves to really shut the move down.

a very classic tryhard setup right now is grab punch on lower right and drunken paw (not sure if that's the name, it's a stagger heavy that dodges vertical) on upper right. drunken paw wins you all trades against jabs, jumped light kick, ankle stamp, grab punch and some other stuff, which are basically all of the main string starters in the game. grab punch wins trades against everything but stoppers and vertical dodge moves. and both of the moves deal over 100 damage. so yeah, it's pretty hard to deal with it.

the rest of your moves can be just about whatever, mostly redudancy for the same moves

>690 players
I can't believe this game is dying so fast
I can't believe I supported 2 games that are dying this year

at this point, the only thing that will save this game is a complete re-release, preferably as f2p

well if you dont like the pvp what else is there to do in the game? run around the world in 5 minutes?

not that user, but

i like pvp

however i don't like

>getting stuck in loading screens
>fighting 20 shitters for every decent player
>losing solely to grab punch spam, again
>losing to lag fucking with my inputs
>getting stuck in more loading screens
>barely beating a player who elegantly reacted and adapted to my strategies, and then next game losing to some dumbass spamming the same 7 evasive moves used over and over and i can't do anything because the game lags and my deck isn't evasion_move.deck

Does parrying or dodging improve as you level up?

Because if it doesn't I'm probably too shit at this game to ever enjoy it so I'll refund

I mean, linking together two moves that counter that same thing in an infinite loop is definitely a thing you can do to shut down shitters who are stuck in a stance and can't think to change up, but it's hardly OP, it's just great for shutting down button-mashers who forget that manual stance swapping or basic dodging is a thing.

Make no mistake, Drunken Paw and Grab Punch are both rock solid moves at what they're supposed to do, which is counter jabs and jab-like attacks, but there's plenty else that deals with both. Drunken Paw is still vulnerable to anything that sweeps fully, sweeps on its side (there are tons of attacks that have one-sided sweeps, like the much overlooked Hook)

Drunken Paw->Grab Punch->Drunken Paw->Grab Punch->etc. is a hilarious loop that demolishes any attempt to interrupt it with a jab-like attack, but it can be backdodged easily and side-dodged easily enough once your opponent recognizes what direction both moves sweep to.

I have a similar two-move loop where I can loop between a stopping attack and a fast double-hit. There are tons of people who will for some reason keep attempting to mash out of the loop by spamming their hyperarmor attack rather than side-dodging (both attacks are thrusting) or just fucking blocking, period. My current record is something like eight hyperarmor attacks defeated before he finally panicked and Shockwaved out.

If you're too shit to parry or dodge play Kahlt. The only thing Kahlt has to worry about is timing and learning where the breaking attacks and double-hits are in your opponent's chains. I started with Forsaken but I got fed up with getting mixed up on direction and deceptive startup animations, so I swapped to Kahlt and haven't looked back since.

the loading screen stuff is the worst, its so off putting when i have to restart the game every other match

Put yourself in your own group senpai, it makes it a load better

Did the 1.06 patch drop?

Yeah I'd second this, learn with Kahlt and then later maybe make a new character to practice parries or dodges

to be fair, you should really put the game on a solid state drive (SSD). loading screens become a non-issue (not including obviously glitched stuff of course)

>just got beaten 3-2 by a some lagging fag who spammed nothing but the exact same chain of three doublehitting attacks, literally no alternates or anything

You normally counter doublehits by dodging either backward or to one side, but I just kept getting vacuum cleanered into him every time I tried, or he kept literally teleporting into my face. Couldn't use my Absorb on it because he was lagging so badly I'd already be getting hit by his next set of attacks. Even when he dropped down to the spinning double hit, I'd launch my Jumped Light Kick and then get instantly swatted by his next double hit.

I hate getting beaten by literally brainless spam because I know it's perfectly counterable but netcode fucks with any attempt to do so.

I don't know why they didn't use their class defensive abilities more often like we all keep complaining about here. You can often just absorb or parry a grab punch especially if they keep doing it over and over again predictably. My kahlt-only deck ONLY gets haymaker (because it's a kahlt move), but with it I can outtrade grab punchers for days, especially if they're wearing light armor when I have over 70 blunt protection. Hell even trading into something like side kick, they're taking more damage, and you can parry/absorb/dodge attacks if they're being super aggressive and predictable.

I don't have stopping attacks and jackhammer punch is my one and only double hitter, but honestly just having haymaker and using side kick as one of my starters while being good at landing absorbs is a huge deal. Feels like even the """pros""" don't give class defensive abilities enough respect and/or they just got super anxious because it was a "tournament". There were also a lot of people who weren't maxing out blunt protection, which iirc micha was which is a huge advantage right now (pre-patch 1.06).

It's really gonna feel bad when I won't get the huge stamina boost from absorb anymore... we still get 20 at least I guess, but really hoping the added blunt protection is worth it and hopefully is applied to the absorbed hit as well.

>muh lag

Just quit the match and find someone else to play with, user. Maybe look up his profile and block him (maybe I've just been lucky but it seems like it's worked for me thus far). There's literally no downside to just straight up quitting a match, and I think they get like 1 pip like who fucking cares. If the lag is obviously gamebreaking why do you keep playing against that guy? I haven't had bad connections in a long time now but I'm NA so idk if that has something to do with it.

Well it's a cross-continent tourney isn't it? I mean that was always going to happen, probably looks the same on both ends. BestPlebEU complained of the same right at the start. You can't take EU>US matches seriously in a latency sensitive game.

is the population any better on ps4 or just as ded??

i think console almost always has more players than pc

>Clip only includes one grab punch and it hits you.
I'm not the guy arguing it's unstoppable but come on lad pick better examples. If we're still talking about the tourney then finals involved mixups between Grab Punch into Drunken Paw or Jumpout Elbow, which is a sequence with odd staggered timing which can also of course be feinted. Going for parries against this isn't such a great idea, because it's not just a 50/50, the odd timing will mean you can also get caught out by timing things incorrectly. Micah's alternatives off back stance are of course back tripped kick and spinning double fist so there's also a fast option.

Waiting and trying to parry against this is bad, honestly, because the timing is all over. Jabbing through with the usual fast attacks is also questionable because that's what Grab Punch and Drunked Paw are designed to deal with. But none of these abilities have particularly great range or chasing ability, so you can backdash out of the whole thing. Back dashing is usually the new player defensive crutch, in this case it would be the right option and possibly get you a punish.

i still don't understand the "ded gaem" meme, you can still hop on at any time of the day and instantly get into matches for as long as you want. shouldn't that be all that matters? who cares if 1k or 100k people are playing as long as YOU can play, and always if not mostly play against new people every time?

i dont care if its 1k or 100k, but i do care if its steadily declining and i wont be able to get any matches anymore in a week.

PS4 is pretty good.

Yeah but ultimately he still gets outtraded for bigger damage, like he did earlier in the match as well. If you hit me with a grab punch or a furious uppercut while I hit you with a side kick or haymaker, I'm actually winning the trade. If I absorb your charging attack and then side kick you I massively win the trade, or absorb your faster attack after the charging attack and then land a few meaty hits. Also I get your points but similar to dark souls, predicting your opponent's actions and being unpredictable yourself is one of the core tenets of the game. This goes both ways. I'm not even packing my deck full of all the OP dodging and doublehit moves like anyone else who isn't purposefully restricting themselves could.

That said, they just need to slow down grab punch's speed to be similar to the other charging attacks and it would be fine. It's fine to have a charging attack that comes out of the back stance (so the animation is a bit more hidden) and has decent side tracking in return for dealing less damage, but it can't also be super fast. The speed is the main issue I believe, slow it down while keeping everything else the same.

I think he means only when you can't get any matches can you say it's a dead game.

well fought TeoH
my deck is too slow to touch you even.

>I think he means only when you can't get any matches can you say it's a dead game.
He pretty obviously means that the game has the only measure of health that matters; finding matches with new players quickly.

Nobody's arguing that a game must have literally zero players to be dead. A game is "dead" when players start having to coordinate playing with other people (whether it's simply having to sign on at a peak hours to be able to find any matches) or when the playerbase is so small that you're encountering the same players day in and day out.

Exactly, that's a more detailed version of what I said. Currently, on PC NA I have no trouble finding different people to play with at any time of the day. I also believe the game is basically in early access (even though it isn't "technically" labeled as such) and once they fix their shit in the first month or two and then release a bunch of new DLC (free, btw) content, the player base will expand a bunch. The only real complaint people had (and why they likely quit) was the server issues.

Wait was it seriously cross-continent? What the fuck did they expect would happen, lol.

What software do you guys to make sick webms, anons? Trying to figure out how to get some clips of my gameplay here but I'm dealing with huge amounts of unwieldy raw footage from OBS, and fucking everything popping up on google seems to be trial/littered with ads and shit.

I'm going to guess you're Corvon since you're in the Veeky Forums discord? I saw a mention which has vanished.

yeah, im not going to make up some bs about being rusty after being on a trip for 3 days, you whopped me with them sweeps.

"Webm for retards" is all you need for simple clips. If you want to do any editing you'll probably something separate for that. I use Vegas and then dump from Vegas into Webm for retards.

Good fights anyway, you need something faster you can do after parries as you're not connecting during the stun. Your openers from top left are also very straight. If you think somebody is going to windfall dodge out of a fast string all you need to do is delay your hit, and you can connect after the dodge.

Do you guys have multiple characters?

no

it is on an ssd, the game's netcode is just a fucking mess

if you're unironically using the haymaker then there is no feasible way you're anywhere close to being as good as anyone in the tournament

and once again you're misunderstanding why grab punch is an issue and suggesting a reactive play against it. how many times do we have to fucking go over this? grab punch IS the reactive move. if the other guy has a chance to even react to it, he's using it wrong. i bet you're the kind of retard who throws unfeinted haymakers out of neutral

I don't see any reason for having multiple

>attack with a slower-ish punch or fast-ish kick
>other player sees some kind of motion that isn't glowing bright red
>they use grab punch on reaction
>you feint out of your attack which frametraps them in grabpunch

It's not rocket science.

And plenty of people use Grab Punch as a mixup or even just in a chain because it's so fast. They'll even use it against blocking people just because it deals a healthy amount of stamina damage on block.

so sure, the netcode problems are there and everything but I didn't expect the game to die out this fast goddamn; Is the game too hard for people? Despite being so simple?

im just kinda burned out at this point, we'll probably see people come back once the patch with the new play modes get released

muh attributes

>absorb supposed to be the easiest of the skills
>it's still the one I have the most trouble with

watch videos/streamers that know what they're doing, been a good way for me to learn stuff

In what way do you have difficulty with it? From using everything it's definitely the most reliable.

>Roll punch starter followed by hook
>Jab and cleaver blow on the other stance
>Body blow for the forward facing alt
>Hay maker on the other forward facing alt that I feint CONSTANTLY

I enjoy themed decks, the lack of visible stat tracking helps dull my try hard tendencies.

Can't even seem to activate it as often as the other ones, the rest of it is just learning the reads since I've absorbed and then been hit in the face by a follow up a fair bit too

Do you think it's possible they'll delay the next content update a bit to include big/more things, like staves and loot management/inventory improvements to win back some players?

Or will they just stick to their schedule and let Absolver be a niche game?

I can see Absolver having a loyal player base for a long time if a game like KAG can still have a community this warrior-monk simulator can but tbqh id prefer a larger player base even if that means more shitters just to keep the community interesting

why would delaying the update help? they already said inventory management and pvp content is coming

>Shockwavers to the left of me
>sweepers to the right
>here i am stuck in the middle with you

Delay it to include more content, like additional weapons or a new style, so it's a bigger event that they can 'advertise' and win players back with

>sweepers
Why is this still a meme? Are you still mashing side dodges as your only form of defense like a day 1 PvE player?

Trying to build a better sword deck. Kahlt defensive mechanic, though I suspect it'd work nearly as well and maybe even better for Windfall. Not enough options for high-damage parry confirms to be a good deck for Forsaken.

Light Swing Slash, Kitsuneo Cut, Tei-nami // Winged Back Kick
Slip Slash, Woosh Slash, Poke Thrust // Jumped Light Kick
Nose Stab, Tendon Slash, Rising Double Hand // Grab Punch
Limbo Thrust, Inward Slash, Jab Punch // Whirlwind Double Punch

I ended up being able to link all the chains into a full 12-meme string with decent variation in attack speed and a decent amount of L/R and thrust/slash mixup. I'm really cheesed that Nose Stab, Grab Punch, and Rising Double Hand all fight for the coveted bottom-left stance. In the end I decided to have Nose Stab for opening up at range and Grab Punch for getting out from under pressure.

You can enter "fuck hyperarmor" mode from pretty much anywhere due to the selection of alts. Your attacks leading into top-left can be quickly followed up by Jumped Light Kick for the second hit, which gives you the choice to either fast-string the hell out of them with the top-right watatatatata chain (Kitsuneo Slash and Tei-nami are the two fast double-hits in sword) or you can enter the stopping-doublehit loop in alts. Top-right and back-right stances suffer from having two mostly redundant chainopener/alt splits, but that just means you have weaker punishes if you get caught in them: you can at least escape with the jab-speed of Light Swing Slash or the duck from Limbo Thrust.

Did you know that literally all double-hits that use the sword start in top-left, and that two of the three can't be used as alts because they end in the same stance? The only one that changes stance is Typhoon Slash, and it's the one I'm not using, because its two hits are extremely slow and far apart, similar to Jackhammer Punch; it won't reliably stop charged attacks.

my main issue is with compulsive excessive shockwavers, the second one isnt as much of an issue
what would you put there instead?

Definitely people with shit connections and decks that are clearly built to capitalize on it. From all reports people with shitty internet are much rarer on EU than they are NA or OCE, for obvious reasons.

These people just blindly spam into you without needing to use their defensive mechanic at all, because netcode favors them for some reason. Their gold-link spam will somehow smack you with a second attack even after you stop their chain with a use of your defensive mechanic, their double-hits do the same thing even more obviously, if they use dodging attacks you have no idea where their hitbox actually is at any given time, their sweeps and thrusts have the reach of a thousand miles, and their charged attacks are uninterruptible. In short, everything about them is supercharged, and it's not worth a single damn second of your time to try and fight them. The moment you notice a lagger being hyperaggressive, just escape->quit out, you're just going to get frustrated trying to interact with them.

Are there style exclusive attacks or can everyone use every move?

I had two warpers earlier today on EU

Lag in EU tends to be caused when we end up sharing with russians and other far east nations, that's why big games tend to do an east west split.

Everyone can use every attack. The "school" of attacks is basically 100% window dressing, there's some SLIGHT theme-by-mechanics in that the unique stat scaling for a school tends to be shared by attacks of that school, but it's far from consistent.

bumperooni

great post

what can they do about massive hordes of the same clothes? just deleting it to clear up space and make my inventory look nice is just going to be tedious and not really satisfying

>awful at parry and don't like it
>try the other two styles and find I'm slightly worse at them
>go back to parry
>I'm somehow better at it now
Okay then

cheers, wasn't sure because the first moves I unlocked all felt like perfect fits for khalt's image

they said that they're gonna add a feature where you recycle them into colour variants

>they said that they're gonna add a feature where you recycle them into colour variants

thats alright i suppose, better get some good ones for all my duplicate masks

>“…we know that players can feel frustrated at not getting the items they want, having lots of duplicates, etc. We are going to do a couple of things to fix this: reworking our inventory to make it more manageable, as well as adding a system that will allow players to destroy pieces of equipment, which will give them a pigment allowing them to change the color variants of other pieces of equipment.”

rockpapershotgun.com/2017/09/13/absolver-man-expands-on-plans-for-fighting-fans/

sounds decent although they really should have had something in place for such an obvious thing at launch

>so sure, the netcode problems are there and everything but I didn't expect the game to die out this fast goddamn; Is the game too hard for people? Despite being so simple?

It just feels like a solved game, and almost everyone is running the same style, the same moves, the same stats, the same gear. There is essentially no variety at all to your matchups, and unlocking equipment is impossible slow so you don't really get to see anything new there.

I'll be back when they've tuned a few things and there is more variety in the meta.

>a solved game
That's not how fighting games work lad. Even if there were only one deck the game would still function just fine. What you're suggesting is hyperbole anyway though, there's plenty of variety in how people play, it just happens that certain moves are very good and so most people use them. The important thing isn't what you use though, it's how you use it.

>same style

Windfall might be the "weakest" style (at least before this patch, but who knows how that'll turn out) but it's still important enough that you have to consider high/low mixups in your deck or else you're going to get 100% ducked/jumped by a Windfall player. Forsaken are popular for the confirms but Khalt jabbers are strong as hell too.

>same stats

Given that the game would basically be the same with normalized stats, eh.

>same gear

This is more a function of being able to stack way too much armor at "normal" mobility, getting very little at "slow", and basically nothing at "fast". Maximum blunt protection at "normal" mobility is the only real choice. They need to completely redo blunt/cut protection splits on gear and/or juggle the breakpoints to make it a real choice.

>no variety at all to your matchups

The fuck game have you been playing

Is Khalt based on a particular irl style?

I know Forsaken and Windfall are both based heavily on Kickboxing and Baguazhang but I'm not sure what Khalt relates to

why does PUBG have a gorillion players and viewers on twitch and shit but this game doesn't? i don't get it. feels shitty that we're going to have to deal with "ded thred ded gaem" for some time until sloclap gets their shit together and figures out a way to get people to return to this great game, just because they royally fucked up servers on release. feels fucking bad

Because that's a battle royale fps that is catered to streamers

Absolver is a game that really requires you to have some knowledge of how it works to watch. Otherwise it LOOKS like two assholes mashing buttons and flailing at each other.

yeah, it's weird. honestly i play a lot and even i don't like watching absolver streams. i'm not even sure how much there is to talk about. yet i love playing it. feels like a lot of things that might be worth talking about can't really be talked about, like the subtlety of reading a new opponent's moves and playstyle and when you can use your abilities or how you use your moveset... it's not something you can really "talk" about, it's just something you just sorta... "do", you know what I mean?

like i'd rather just play the game than talk about it or watch someone else play it. i feel like it also relies on instincts and muscle memory a lot, even though you have to develop your general strategy too you still have to play your deck for awhile and "get a feel" for it, which you can only really do by straight-up playing the game itself over and over.

Gotta admit that how I thought it played was totally different to how it actually plays.

Like I'd never intuit that the stances switch with each attack

>haven't been able to play for a few days
>hop in a combat trial
>fighting some staggerfag with a bunch of high sweeps
>everything I do feels slower than usual
>He interrupts me every time
>just looping fast stagger moves and fast jabs
>duck, dodge them, somehow get hit anyway, he ledges me
>decide to hold block, let his stamina drain
>He's somehow still pushing me a bunch even tho I'm blocking
>get ledged again
> holding block, Don't know what else to do
>finally get a small opening, use a low attack
>my leg goes through him, he hits me with a man
>few seconds later get ledged again

Holy fucking shit I got tilted, had to stop and get off even though I've been dying to play for days

/blog

>bothering to engage a lagging player on a map with ledges

I jump three times off of the donut every single time. The library too if my opponent shows the slightest signs of being a fag from the very start.

>Beat somebody's charge flowchart too many times
>They quit

It's why i seriously can't put down this game. It's a fighting game, but it's so personal and intimate in a way like those weird high-school lunch-table games of Magic the Gathering where you had literally no idea what pile of weird junk your classmate is bringing today.

When you see a character in a normal fighting game you know that it's all about this meta, they have these big super moves, they have a certain playstyle, you need to watch out for X, etc. Here your opponent is basically a stranger to you and you are to them, and getting to know them is this beautiful back-and-forth dance (when it isn't ruined by DBZ lag-teleporting and rubberbanding). Sure, the playerbase is slowly gravitating towards certain styles, attacks, and playstyles, with "meta" elements crystallizing, but there's never going to be one exact deck that shits on everyone else because tweak a few moves here and there and it can be played nearly completely differently.

>h-he must be lagging, he's getting past my undefeatable charged attack!