/domg/ - Dominions General

Accurate translations edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/qaccWnMt

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Play by email guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Debug Mod
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

>Dominions 5

illwinter.com/dom5/

Previous Pantokrator

First for incineration is not an evocation.

>muh lore
The effect is that of an evocation. Code-wise, it has identical properties to many spells in the Evocation school. That it's flavored to cause the direct damage by means atypical to many spells in the Evocation school should be of no consequence. is correct: there are direct-damage spells, debuff spells, buff spells, etc. and they should be referred to as such regardless of their school.

Why isn't there "Fire at enemy group, cautiously" command for your archers

So they don't waste their arrow volleys on single targets, and they don't freindly fire your own guys

If you are calling something an evo it spell it should be a spell from the evocation school. I dont care if people call a damage dealing spell a damage dealing spell but there is no point in being blatantly wrong.

Archers actually already sorta do the latter; or rather, friendly fire is a consideration that will make them walk closer. This happened with the AI update, but I don't have figures on when or how exactly it happens, it's just something I've seen from fights

Turn extended 12h for Vanarus

Evocations are associated with direct-damage spells and it takes about as much effort to type as direct-damage so there's no reason the terms can't be interchangeable.

Evocations are associated with spells from the evocation school. Meaning calling something like incineration is both wrong and misleading.

You're bringing up a subjective opinion like it's a fact. It is not.

Fuck you and fuck Vanarus

It is a fact that the spells are already grouped into their schools. Therefore saying a spell from one school is from another just because it has effects commonly associated with the other school is factually incorrect. If you told someone to go look for that evocation spell soul slay they would not find it under evocations.
Because its not an evocation.
You retard.

Y'all are steering away from the point, which is that Earth is the best at everything*
*except for the things Blood is better at.

You alright, bud?

I'm not saying it's an Evocation I'm saying it's an evocation. There is a difference ESLfriend.

Even in English "evocation" means a bunch of shit.

Especially when it's magic.

No there isnt.

Evocation refers to "the action of invoking a spirit or deity". So, you're not only wrong, you're wrong in every possible sense.

I don't know if you guys know this, but words can have more than one definition.

So by your own logic an evocation can be something other than a damage dealing spell?

Don't you just Alter elemental gems into their respective elementals

I'm pretty sure elementals exist somewhere and you just use gems to bring them where you are.

*enchants elementals*

GUYS DID YOU KNOW THAT I CAN CALL ANY SPELL ANYTHING I WANT AND ILL BE RIGHT

EVOCATIONS ARE SPELLS THAT DEAL DAMAGE

UGH

Evocations are spells that summon Black Servants with Bane Venom Charms to shit on my opponent's capital.

You defeated me this time, Ermor-chan, but the hour of reckoning is drawing near.

>reddit spaces
>caps locks
>writing "ugh"
Clearly the argument of someone who knows what they are talking about.

I have around 22 MP wins. How many MP wins do you have, faggot? Then shut your pie-hole.

>I won more games than you so I'm right
This the sort of logic I would expect from a child. Guess I shouldn't be that surprised.

>reddit spaces
What now?

No you don't

I have eleventy billion. Try and disprove it.

Exactly. I won more games then you (22 is more than 0 after all), so I will be the judge of what we mean by evocations. Checkmate, fag.

Yes, I do.

What's your name on the leaderboard? Mine is Malakal.

Apparently

spacing

your

non-paragraphs

this

is

something

redditors

do

Malakal isnt even that good at the game and has said as much himself. Why would you trust the opinion of someone whos main skill is misleading people?

>implying I play with the scrubs of /domg/

The word "evocation" can refer to any one of several things depending on context.

1. The school of Evocation, as in D&D
2. A direct damage spell, also as in D&D
3. "the act of invoking a spirit or deity" as is apparently the dictionary definition

According to the dictionary, Dominions lore is using evocation wrong. But language is not a science and words change with use. Direct damage and evocation are so closely related that they have been used interchangeably and still understood for a long time and trying to remove that meaning of evocation now is foolhardy. You calling people retarded won't bring "literally" back. In language, doing the 'wrong' thing long enough turns it into the 'right' thing and you cannot stop this. Words don't matter as much as the idea being transmitted does.

Look at context. If someone in /domg/ is asking about evocatchers, they are not asking for units that will stop Xibalba from casting Second Sun. They want chaff that will stop direct damage from hitting their mages. They are not wrong for doing this, because the word has gained an additional definition. People here understand each other just fine, despite using the same word for different things. Because they understand context.

>someone is using my shitty cutout
I don't know the words to describe this feeling

>guy renowned for lying to people says that he's actually not good at the game
>and you believe him

>they are not asking for units that will stop Xibalba from casting Second Sun.
I'm not complaining about that, I'm complaining about people calling spells from different schools an evocation just because they hurt things.

>implying its not a double bluff

Let me just say thank you Abysia for doing your turn and not making me have to find a sub for you. Also you did a double turn so double thanks are in order please keep it up.

All the elemental planes, hell, underworld etc actually exist. In CoE4 you can even invade them.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little hoburg? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in Something Awful, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Desura, and I have over 300 confirmed MP wins. I am trained in Bandar warfare and I’m the top assassin in the entire goon armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another indie. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which you need an eye of aiming to possess, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the provinces and your dominion is being traced to your capital right now so you better prepare for the perpetual storm, Ichtyid. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your pretender. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can teleport anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you with over seven hundred different spells, and that’s without boosters. Not only am I extensively trained in melee combat, but I have access to every guide on the Shrapnel Games forum and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the map, you slave lizard. If only you could have known what blood vengeance your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will piss water elementals all over you and you will drown in them. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Was the entry fee worth it the dominions content on SA?

Iunno I'm not actually a goon nor an expert in Bandar warfare

Not hard to be an expert in Bandar warfare. Throw stones at things, get killed, pretty straightforward.

Would you rather be a peasant/commoner in the EA, MA, or LA?

I hope to surprise at least one person in Dom5 with flaming arrows and the thrown stones attack

Because plebbit has shit formatting.

EA has too many magical creatures and monsters running around
LA has higher populations and less monsters, but everyone realised that blood is OP and having tons of demons running around seems like a bad thing
MA seems like the best balance between the two

Skellingtons tho.

Skellingtons are a problem, but it seems they did get crusaded successfully in the end even if Marignon had to make bargains with demons to do it

>8 dmg gun

It's got armour piercing and it can be fired point blank in melee

Seems right to me.

>revolver
>dealing less dmg than normal bows

I mean a revolver shot probably would do less damage than one from a bow unless it was right up close.

>being a realismfag

You realize that a bow and arrow will pierce a bullet proof vest, right?

I like calling any spells that buff any kind of thing "Alteration" because they alter the status or stats of it.

For example Twiceborn is clearly Alteration.

Sodding casuls arguing about Dominions lore.

Dom:PPP / Dom1 manual:
"Apart from the eight paths of magic there are seven schools of magical research. While the paths determines the power to fuel a given spell the school determines the techniques involved in researching the spell. When you complete research of a school you will gain access to a number of spells and rituals that uses the techniques of that school. All your mages will have access to any researched spell they are powerful enough to use. Following is a short description of the seven schools:

Evocation Projections of arcane power
Alteration Changes in the physical world
Conjuration Summon powers and beings from other worlds
Construction Make magic items and constructs
Enchantment Grant magical properties to man, item or land
Thaumaturgy Manipulate the arcana, minds and magical processes
Blood Magic All spells that uses blood magic (exception: blood powered magic items are made with construction)"

Now people will be more informed

Is it ever worth using troglodytes to expand, even if you don't have a good bless?

Yes

trogs are not sacred though
and i think mindblasters expand perfectly fine

I imagine he means are they worth bothering with even in situations where you dont use sacreds to expand.

Guys, gus, what pretender chassis/bless do you choose for Nazca? I kinda like S4/E4/N9 Monolith, or E4/N9 Great Mother. It's good for mages, but sacreds needs more oomph to survive all shit MA brings. I tried W9/S1/E4/N9 Monolith and now I test F9/S2/E4/N9 Master Enchanter, but It forces me into imprisoned pretender, and both F and W aren't perfect fit.

i read you can thug with the trog commanders, but I dnno if thats good

Blood Fountain B9Xy.

It choice between being eaten by Giant, Undead or Demon.

That is what I meant. As far as I can tell trogs are a gimmick unit and should be avoided.

how much is dominions 5 going to cost? hopefully its free to play

Likely ~$30

59.99 on the PS4 and Xbox 1
49.99 for PC and Switch

Free because you can torrent it

Been out of the loop since the day after the Dom5 announcement, has anything else been revealed?

hopefully there will be a crack and a community who plays MP with pirates huh

Why would you need a crack if you're playing by email?

Is it immoral to pirate from a two developer team? Is $30 too much money?
Should measures be taken to prevent pirating?

You can't play MP with a pirated version, so who fucking cares.

I didn't even know that, nevermind then.

The question isnt if its immoral or not its if you are going to be a faggot and pretend its not. Make no mistake, I'm all for getting free games but I'm also not going to pretend I have some some sort of moral high ground when I torrent them. Also what this guy says

They sold 60K+ copies of Dominions 4 at 20-40 bucks a pop. Assuming they get $5 per copy after costs, Dominions 4 alone made Illwinter three-hundred-thousand dollars. And this is a hobby for two tenured professors in Sweden. That said stealing is bad and you should be ashamed that you're even considering it: Dominions is a labor of love.

they probably get a better margin than that through steam or gamergate or desura
Probably more like 50%

Then again how many of the sales were during sales where it was half off or 75% off

Still they probably got a few million off the Dominions franchise
As well as their shitty mobile game
Piracy is not theft btw

They have a mobile game?

That's a nice chunk of change, but 150 grand over 4 years is about what a swedish grad student makes, let alone a professor.

>taking something that isn't yours without paying for it isn't theft because it's digital
plz. It's theft, it just doesn't injure the people you're stealing from as much.

This is like saying that stealing cash from someone with billions isn't theft because it doesnt make an actual difference to them. Or stealing something that has no net worth isn't theft because it doesn't reduce their net worth. It is. Because we definitely theft by whether you are obtaining something you have no right to, not by the impact on others.

Those are some terrible metaphors.

>taking something that isn't yours
What am I taking?
If one of you loaned your CD key to me, would that be piracy? Theft? How is that any different than "loaning" the game out to multiple people at once, aka piracy?

No its not like taking any physical goods because ONLY A COPY IS BEING MADE
This is the very opposite of freedom or sanity or property rights, I am being told I cannot do things with my property because I require some fucking "license" to do so by the government/company.

>If one of you loaned your CD key to me, would that be piracy?
I mean, I'm pretty sure it is actually.

>tfw pirating Abysia's lands from Ragha, but it's not theft because I'm only making a copy.

>piracy argument
go to we're discussing video games in this thread

If there was a spell that produced a new province that was the same as the other province, but you possessed it

Would that be wrong?

>Ugh, the government wont let me drive my car because I require some fucking "license" to do so. This is the very opposite of freedom or sanity or property rights.

You're a bad metaphor.

Not really. Your conception of property rights destroys that of creators.

You are being told you cannot do certain things with someone else's property, which they have allowed you to use.

If (1) your landlord rents an apartment to you, on the condition that only one person stays there, and (2) you sublease it to a horde of Slavs and (3) he makes you stop, whose property rights have been infringed on?

Look. Just call it theft. Or, if you're that hung up on deprivation to the owner being a thing, conversion. Your conception of "property rights" and "sanity" is one in which property can only be transferred in it's entirety, and not leased or licensed. And that's silly. We (the civilized world) have always treated property rights as things which can be transferred-in-part or licensed, allowing the owner to reserve certain exclusive rights. That you don't want to pay 35 bux for a leisure activity doesn't really matter.

It's stealing, but it's not really a big deal. But let's not pretend that it's the moral high ground either.

What is xir endgame, /domg/?

>Your conception of property rights destroys that of creators.

This is the fiction of long ago, that these "creators" need magical monopolies on whatever they can claim to have created
It's nonsense
Here you go comparing PHYSICAL GOODS with mystical copyrights or "intellectual property" rights

Yes it is. If the government was authentically looking out for people they would require them to re-test periodically to keep their license as well.