FFXI Thread

Welcome to the thread about a 15 year old game that is often cited as being the #1 reason behind any FF14 player's inability to sleep without crying.

youtube.com/watch?v=eJaFB4fk3dQ

Post songs, post stories, post about your experience, but don't forget to post Elvaan butts and Mithran tits.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jizq6125D4k
youtube.com/watch?v=alTXxxxXnFE
youtube.com/watch?v=Uc1bc1f_t-U
youtube.com/watch?v=V-C-_pdzp5A
youtube.com/watch?v=4TGe6PC-Tk4
wiki.dspt.info/index.php/DarkStar_Servers
youtube.com/watch?v=se2eWnI_heo
bg-wiki.com/bg/Returning_to_Vana'diel
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/New_and_Returning_Player_Guide_2016
bg-wiki.com/bg/Main_Page
youtube.com/watch?v=0AHrZVKt-tM
youtube.com/watch?v=sR_x4FAsP30
reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/5y5og9/ffxi_mobile_reboot_update_digest_faq_mar_2017/
youtube.com/watch?v=jaKmkoy1r7o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=Jizq6125D4k

youtube.com/watch?v=alTXxxxXnFE

youtube.com/watch?v=Uc1bc1f_t-U

youtube.com/watch?v=V-C-_pdzp5A

I always have to go back and watch the opening, i'll never forget that first night when I loaded up the beta on my PS2.

youtube.com/watch?v=4TGe6PC-Tk4

Hey. Psst... hey you. You know an easy private server to play on?

I've seen people say some terrible things about Nasomi, lots of grind and dumb admin decisions. Patches are irregular, servers are up consistently, but don't expect it to be accurate to the experience of Classic FF.

Kupo's the youngest and has the smallest population atm, but I think they're going for accuracy the most. Regular patches, server is usually up consistently.

Then there's Era. It seems to be geared at 75 content while having somethings like 4X EXP and improved skill up/crafting rates, too. Seems to have the same amount of people as Nasomi, but I'm not sure what their patches and server is like.

wiki.dspt.info/index.php/DarkStar_Servers

Here's a list of all the FFXI private servers.

But beware, most of the server admins are complete autists. Even the good ones can be a little dumb with some of the decisions they make. Don't be surprised by it.

>BAS-TOOK

Wait, is that how you pronounce it?

I always thought it was Bas-tawk.

youtube.com/watch?v=se2eWnI_heo

gd this intro gives me tears every time.

Is there a guide on how to start leveling and doing the story quests? I just bought the game last night, and honestly I'm pretty overwhelmed. I have no idea what to do or where to go.

I started in Windurst

Quick question about these private servers. If I want to experience just the story, could I solo the missions like I can supposedly in retail? Or do the trusts carry you that hard?

bg-wiki.com/bg/Returning_to_Vana'diel

this is the right one if i remember right. there is sooo much to do in ffxi and you are right, it is very overwhelming.

ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/New_and_Returning_Player_Guide_2016

bg-wiki.com/bg/Main_Page

Make good use of both links. They'll guide you on what to do if you're ever lost. Do pay attention to what NPCs say, though, as a lot of them hint at to what the next step is.

For the most part, no.

A few missions can be soloed, but a majority of them were meant to be completed with a full team of players. Your only options is to go in with friends, or make friends through the game and plan out how you want to do the missions.

Only thing of note is that no server has the full storyline. A lot of them have buggy cutscenes or non-working missions/events that rely on things that are not available on private servers yet.

You're better off signing up to retail if you want the full story experience, imo.

I knew FFXIV was going to be shit when they got rid of the Mithra's cute noses.

Why is FFXI artwork more lewd than FFXIV?

>have no friends in HS
>play FFXI pretty much alone for the first few weeks, locked away in my room
>after the exciting trek to Jueno, get invited to Linkshell
>play for about a year, quit when WoW gets released
>see one of these threads a few years ago, decide to check on old forum I used to frequent
>look for my character name
>the LS' paladin posts in a thread about "players you miss" over a year later
>Really nice post, says how they were all worried about me when I left. Said how even though I could be a jerk it was understandable... having to deal with physically abusive parents and no friends in real life. He ended it with "I just hope, wherever he is, he's finally happy."
>the forum gets shut down shortly after
>mfw

You can do that on retail with a new character and trusts in a month or so. I'm not familiar with private servers that have trusts, since most seem to be limited to 75 cap content by design or lack of packet information from the real servers.

Literally just resubbed about 15 minutes ago. Can't wait to get back into it.

Thanks guys, I can finally play the game now

You're welcome.

Feel free to ask any questions if there's still stuff you're unsure of.

In case you're going for retail, make sure to pick the Asura server, as it's one of the few fully active servers left in the game, as well as English dominated.

I've never played FFXI, despite wanting to play it when it first came out (I had shit internet). I played FFXIV up through most of HW, but I keep losing interest in it.

Is it reasonable for a new player to start FFXI?

That's honestly a tough question.

Thanks to FFXIV's producer pushing a lot of things onto the FFXI team (while stripping them away from developers) the game isn't what it used to be. There are a lot of things that have changed.

That said, they still added some amazing stuff that I feel preserved the spirit of the game. I've seen mixed feelings on Seekers of Adoulin, but I feel it's one of the best expansions to come to the game and introduced a lot of cool things to the setting.

There's no denying that FFXI's setting and story is one of the most appealing things about it. It starts off a little clunky, but once it finds its footing it ends up being my favorite in the franchise.

The retail experience is an interesting one, because they tried their best to introduce a lot of things that are found in modern MMOs while still preserving a lot of the core concepts that made FFXI stand apart. Overall, worth playing or checking out during a free play period.

I don't really recommend private servers for you, though. First timers might end up being completely turned off from the game because of it. Every person in charge of a private server has their own vision and it definitely conflicts with what the developers had in mind for the game.

XI is much slower paced and focused on killing random enemies for exp than you may be used to. Things like traveling the world to level off various mob camps may lose the appeal faster than "Ok, time to run my daily dungeon filled with juicy exp bonuses!" that XIV has going for it.

It's very viable for a new player to join in these days due to NPC allies and Rhaspody of Vana'diel granting like +300% exp bonuses, but the game was reworked to the point that its XIV Lite for most content, which raises the existential question of "Why not just play XIV?"

I just want to say that thanks to FFXI's dependency on keyboard for input, I can't really play any other game.

It's like a typing game, I've stopped using menus and macros. I just type out all my spells and abilities without a care in the world.

Wouldn't it be the opposite, as XI was heavily dependent upon controller use for menus / macros / other things, with the keyboard used purely for typing most of the time?

I have never used a controller with FFXI in my life.

The very idea that someone would play this game with a controller causes me to reel back in disgust.

Please, tell me it isn't true. Tell me there aren't savages out there who play this game with a controller.

What with addons that let you type shorthand for activating spells/abilities and targeting, I can see people turning the game into Final Fantasy Teaches Typing.

thanks, i might check out retail sometime.

What's the source of that image? IQDB and Saucenao aren't providing me with anything.

I got it from one of these threads, so I unfortunately do not know the original source. I found mention of a similar picture on a really old blog, but it mentioned some "JP Button" as the source.

If you guys are looking for a 75 cap server you should join us on ffera.com. Long standing FFXI server for many years.

Make a linkshell and shill it in these threads and I'll come.

What's it take to join that server, and what's so great about it compared to other ones with like 1.5k players on it?

it's 75 cap while retail is 99. It's basically kidna vanilla server.

>often cited as being the #1 reason behind any FF14 player's inability to sleep without crying
Considering how triggered XI players get about XIV? Doubtful.

I seen it has stuff like Provenance, though, which was level 99 content for Voidwatch. What's up with that, and having level 1-20 people in it?

Also, how painful is it to get REM on it compared to retail? I read on their forums that people were complaining about afterglow and ilvl 119 versions of weapons on that server.

idk how to shill FFXI, for whats left of ffxi its a rather small community. Pretty cool community though. There's like 5-6 endgame Lses on the server.

Following content is fully functional

>Sky gods + Kirin
>All sea Jailers including Jailer of Love
>Omega/Ultima for Homam/Nashira
>Dynamis Lord
>Dyn-tav farming
>ZNM including Pandemonium Warden
>All wyrms Jormugand Tiamat
>Sandworm/Dark Ixion
>All three HNM Kings; Fafhogg, Aspid, Behe

> Not playing the superior game

>XIVkinder can't let an XI thread go by without shitting it up

OBSESSED.

hope ur tomestone grind is goin good m8, cant wait to do it again in a few months for more gear i'll replace a few months after that.

You are going to die without ever fixing that mistake. Another regret onto the pile.

What about jobs?

If it's 75 cap, that means they've got everything up to DNC and SCH, right?

Are they all in working condition or are a few still buggy?

I'm kinda amazed this thread hasn't been taken over by mithraposting.

It's because people have actually been talking about the game, so I felt it wasn't time yet.

That was last night's thread, while today seems to just be "we're an XI thread, post in me!"

I think it's fine if you guys wanna post that stuff.

Helps keep the thread alive.

youtube.com/watch?v=0AHrZVKt-tM

Threadly reminder that Wings of the Goddess was not a bad expansion pack, it was just screwed over due to Square Enix's incompetence in managing their production teams.

Too bad they went full retard and tapped into Todd Howard's idea of selling that expansion, since they were advertising things in advance like "You can cause mobs to go extinct if they're farmed too much in the past" and some other oddities that never made it into the game.

They got SCH and DNC, not buggy at all. Completely functional. I play WHM/SCH all the time.

You gotta remember, though. Tons of people got shifted to work on FFXIV while WoTG was still in production.

There were a lot of aspects that were gutted in that release due to tons of the original team being moved to work on a different game.

youtube.com/watch?v=sR_x4FAsP30

What about COR? If I'm gonna hop on again, I think that's the job I'd really like to get into. It was too expensive for me back in the day.

>started playing FFXI in Middle School
>By the time I finished High School, I was a regular in the endgame scene on my server.
>The lead up to High School graduation was rough, ended up spending a good 3 months away from the game after a tearful "so long, but I'll be back" with my linkshell
>Come back, the linkshell doesn't exist.
>Drama happened while I was gone, still not sure what went down, but it was apparently so bad that none of them were talking to each other anymore.

I ended up quitting after my first year at college and things started to make it so that I was too busy to play FFXI.

But I still think about that linkshell. I don't know how to describe it, but I sorta wish I was there so I could have kept it all together. I'm not going to act like I was some charismatic motherfucker who brought this band of goons together, but I sorta wish I could have done something.

To this day, I think about them and hope that they're all doing well. Each and every one of them, even the ones I didn't particularly do much with or enjoyed the company of.

I remember Matusi, I think?, saying that they'd make an expansion if enough people were interested. Do you guys think that will actually happen? Based on what someone else said in last night's thread, I was thinking that it would be more likely that they'd wait to work on the remake of it for mobiles due to having an easier time making actual new content in that version.

>shitposts about XIV in OP
>no, in fact, it is YOU who is mad

FFXI is very important to me. But come on, how often can people who don't even play the game anymore make threads with the same nostalgic wank over and over again

I'm still playing.

I've been bouncing around between retail and different private servers for a while.

It's still lots of fun, honestly.

Matsui stated that he was amazed at how many people still play and support the game after RoV ended, and mused that it may be possible to create a PC only expansion if he can prove it's viable to the higher ups.

Given how barebones modern XI is, I'd imagine we'd have better chance of getting nickle and dimed on the mobile version by selling expansions as "lost stories from Vana'diel" or something like that, as opposed to putting a new expansion that will most likely destroy the game even further on PC, since they've always had a history of adding in new spells or items that destroy the old balance, or perhaps another job or two.

It's a 15 year old MMO that's possibly about to have a second wind if the Nexon version isn't complete rape, and it also forced players to play and communicate with players all across the world with the somehow functional auto-translate, which I think only PSO really attempted before. There's all kind of nostalgia to be had, as well as people still playing retail as vets or their first time on Asura.

Love or hate XIV, but nobody can really deny that he actually saved Final Fantasy. I especially appreciate the ending to the latest Rememberance we just had in XIV, where he comes out and addresses our character and has some GMs with him. Since money will always be an issue in my life, that's probably the closest I'll ever get to the dude, since I doubt I'll ever make a fanfest.

Also kind of sad that he's still looking for someone to replace him as director, but it just doesn't seem to be working out for him.

>Nexon
What does Nexon have to do with XI these days?

And for someone that never had the opportunity to give XI a go, would you guys recommend private servers or official at this point? I've never really had much time for big time investments, but XI seems like it was something worth getting into.

>What does Nexon have to do with XI these days?

reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/5y5og9/ffxi_mobile_reboot_update_digest_faq_mar_2017/

They're in charge of porting FFXI to mobile, apparently. We don't know much about the project beyond what's compiled in this reddit post.

An FFXI remake for mobile devices by Nexon has been in development hell for a while

Private servers are more for people who want to recapture the game's original experience, so I wouldn't recommend it to new players unless you could get into a linkshell early on maybe. Retail servers got a lot of quality of life improvements that help players of newer MMOs ease into FFXI's style of playing. It's a lot easier to level in modern FFXI than before, for one thing. You can get to 99 in a day now if you have most of the EXP bonuses from doing Rhapsodies of Vanadiel and the EXP rings, and even without those, NPC Trust party members make leveling a butt ton easier since you can solo grind now on any class. The biggest downside to this is that you don't really see too many players outside towns or endgame areas, now, so it gets kind of lonely if you aren't in a linkshell to talk to other people.

>level 99 in a day
I will never understand who this sort of structure appeals to. It just sounds like a race to end game, which always makes me wonder why there's even a "pre" game to begin with.

Well when this first became possible, it's because Yoshi-P was trying to account for lost time and turn FFXI into the same kind of gear treadmill game WoW and later, FF14 would become.

Now that they have competent devs trying to clean up the mess, level 1-99 has become a sort of tutorial in the same way level 1-10 was in the old days, and then you grind out Job Mastery points for the real job progression. Getting max Job points is about as time consuming as 1-75 was back in the day.

Well, getting to 99 just makes playing the rest of the game easier. It's not really possible on a new character, too, without a bunch of help since they need to do their Limit Break quests and the like. Maybe more like a couple days or a week more realistically. After doing all of that, though, it's entirely feasible especially if someone powerlevels them.

After getting to 99, there's still a bunch of content to do, such as Story Missions, getting Job Points, getting RMEA stuff, other equipments, etc. The game has more than a decade of content to go through even after getting to "max" level.

I would like to go back. But even with the new casual friendly changes to the game, it's just too much with all the work and school I have to deal with these days.

I miss Vana;diel, bros

>Now that they have competent devs trying to clean up the mess, level 1-99 has become a sort of tutorial in the same way level 1-10 was in the old days, and then you grind out Job Mastery points for the real job progression.

Huh, I never really thought of it that way.

That said, I still feel like Capacity Points are more of a massive grind than 1-75 or merit points used to be like.

user, I came back a few months ago after years of absence. Outside of some mission bullshit it's really nowhere near the grind you remember. You could put in an hour or two a day and get plenty of stuff done nowadays. There's a lot of guides out there to get you up to speed. Come back to us.

FFXI might as well not exist anymore and I want to die

As far as I'm fucking concerned, Vana'diel is my fucking hometown and I can never go back to it.

There is nothing in life, not the smell of Mom's cooking or old yearbook photos or the house I grew up in that is nearly as nostalgic to me as the boat music from FFXI

youtube.com/watch?v=jaKmkoy1r7o

Fuck FFXIV for having insta-travel, I don't care if it's "Quality of life" it destroys the illusion of a big world and a sense of wonder when traveling to a new place. And fuck the game for letting you visit other nations so early.

But they recently moved it up their list and have recent job hirings, so it's likely getting closer than we suspect.

Does TGS allow for mobiles to be unvield? We could possibly learn more as early as this week.

Leveling in XI is worst misconception about the game, since it served no purpose other than to
be the skinner box to keep people subbed. The fact that XI had next to no real low level content beyond extremely tedious quests and a few lower level missions (which always resulted in level cap fights at 75 by the end of them), the low level will never be a strong point beyond "the journey"

Meanwhile endgame XI had all kinds of options that managed to stay relevant throughout the lifetime of the game, and is where the team put the bulk of their talent into.

Getting to 99 in a day takes so much prep work due to Genkais and other factors, that one may as well not take it too seriously. It isn't like there's tons of leveling parties any longer, and with the entire game balanced around level cap due to gear that enhances abilities and the like as well as JP grinding, you're not missing out with the speed of leveling beyond grinding skillups. Though now that they have skillup books and increased methods to gain skills, yeah, that's an after thought as well.

I went from 30-99 on PUP in about 3 hours solo with a party of trusts thanks to Escha chains giving me up to 16k exp with a ring and full RoV bonuses. Even the current team understands the game is on the way out with how they handed out those bonuses

FFXI had a bunch of low level content though. Some of it was great even, like Promys (until they removed cap and ruined them)

Chains of Promathia, in general, had the best examples of low level content because it was themed around the growth of the adventurer.

You went from doing 30 cap stuff to 40 to 50, to 60, and then you get dropped into Tu'Lia.

It felt very natural, sorta like how most player characters would naturally progress through any given single player RPG.

I sorta wish the stuff that came after built on that, but I think TOAU and WoTG didn't have any capped content and were built around the idea that you'd have already reached 75 by the time you want to do them.

On my server, the only low level content that was regularly ran was the PvP, while stuff like Promy was just ran for story purposes to get people up to the higher level content in CoP.

I suppose lower level BCNMs would count, but with how long it took to get seals, the player would usually have a mid to high level character.

Reactivated my account a couple months ago and moved to Asura. So glad I did, been having a blast. Certainly not the same game it used to be, but the quality of life changes don't ruin anything.

Every time I see one of these threads I want to cry. FFXI wasn't just a game, it was my life for seven years. I made close friends who I hardly ever get to see anymore, and who are probably the only people in the world who got the full brunt of my weird teenage years and helped me through them. When I'm asked on my deathbed what were the greatest years of my life, I'll tell them it was the time I spent in Vana'diel. I don't care how faggy this sounds, it's the fucking truth.

You're not alone. My fondest memories are of things I've done in this game. My best friend, who I still talk to, is a guy who lives halfway across the globe from me and I met him in that game.

We've been good friends for more than 10 years now and we still do things together, but every now and again we'll link each other FFXI's songs and just kick back and reminisce.

The only question left is should I re-activate my old 75 Hume Male or make the qt Mithra I always wanted to be but was too embarassed

>tfw my social autism was so bad I couldn't even make friends in the game
>several of my friends actually met their wives over FFXI and I was too retarded to make lasting friends with anyone

Mithra, since you can easily make up the progress you had on the hume.

I went back and did what I always wanted to do.

I created the thick booty Elvaan waifu and never regretted it.

Don't let your dreams be dreams, fellow Anonymous.

Anyone else playing on the private servers?

Damn man how did you even get anything done? It's not the kind of game that you can play without help.

>doing some sub job leveling in dunes
>meet this mithra
>get a long joking with them cause they wear skimpy subligar
>become friends
>end up leveling our main jobs to 75, mithra was nin mine blm
>all the best gear +1 harness, peacock charm, haste belt
>mithra always dirty talking in chat getting people horny while we make fun of them in /tell
>couple months later said they are quitting cause its bored
>ends up giving me the harness and peacock charm cause "we were bros"
>last message before quitting was "funny you were the only person who knew i was a guy"
>all those months of jerking off to him saying sexy fucking stuff in chat while wearing nothing
fucking manthras i felt sick for a couple days.

I did pretty much everything with pickup parties or begging my linkshell members (though I didn't realize how much of a selfish parasite I must have come across as at the time)

Probably explains why it took me like 6 years to reach level 75

>A girl I was friends with actually confessed to me on FFXI
>I was too retarded to understand what was happening and blew it
>Never talked to her again
>No girl has ever been interested in me since

I'm still fucking haunted by this memory

I met my wife on FFXI and we've been together for 11 years, you missed out on your only chance at happiness, user.

I used to play on Supernova and its community is kinda big.
Played it on and off over a year. Had a dual box set up which was frowned but not against the rules. I would PL myself and a small party if there were not any healers available.

>Fairly new GM sees what my Taru is doing and insta jails, but lets me go with warning.
>Party wipes
Fuck admins

Anyone play Legion server? Lv99 cap is a lot better because of subjobs.

COR works fine pretty much all jobs function perfectly. Only PUP is a lil weird sometimes but all and all fine. ts hard to find people who play COR tho :(

Same thing happened to me. It was at 2AM mid NM hunt between mob pop windows, just us two in this little area. After that we kind of got more and more distant until we joined different HNMLS. Man I was so stupid for that moment going over my head. Turns out she only lived the state over too. Gets me mad just thinking about it.

I play on ffera.com since 2015 April and has been a great experience. 75 cap server with some QoL but no hand outs. Gotta farm gear like you would back in 75.
I got a full decked Apoc DRK75, ask me anything.

>hard to find people who play COR tho :(
You just found one.

Let me get my shit set up and I'll hit you up ingame.

Moogle here

My tale will make you feel better, user

>join one of the bigger HNMLS by server hopping
>become officer due to dedication and love for game + group
>girl starts chatting me up and we realize we're close to one another in location
>she comes over and we bang, losing virginity to hambeast
>decide we'll move in together in her town
>right after I sign the lease she goes full bitch mode and declares to LS of friends that we're both no longer gonna play XI
>wat.jpg
>proceeds to verbally and eventually physically abuse me
>not even allowed to keep contact with my own family by one point
>I rejoin XI to take the stress off
>she finds out, starts regularly making threats and expressing desire to kill me
>ends up assaulting me Thanksgiving morning after I just worked Black Friday
>had to get out of there and lost my job before one of us actually killed the other

And now I just beat it to 2D porn and have a better life. Also went on to enjoy XI for many more years with the only other gal that made any attempt to get close to me being a noted lesbian in San Fran.

Meanwhile I've watched an XI power couple accomplish just about any and everything in the game inbetween having a regular life, and there is a tinge of jealousy there.

What's the process like to get REM on that server? I read on their forums they were talking about afterglow ilvl 119 and even Empyrion weapons like Hvraglr or whatever the mage staff was.

Also, is it possible to get stuff like the donation weaponskills without paying money?

COR was my bread and butter in retail, and if I can get the Mythic, ho shit, things will die.

FFXI was the ultimate chatroom tbqhfam

you got it backwards, FFXIV triggers the fuck out of FFXI players.

What a fucking shitty game. Like yeah lets FFXI and all the fanfare we built and throw that out the window. Now lets take take the WoW formula minus everything that made it great. Ok good, all we need is a pretty engine with cat girls to satisfy the mithra crowd. Got that? Ok lets release the game.

To be fair, ARR has some pretty great map design that makes me want to explore it like FFXI did. I just wish they didn't lead you through everything with shining quest markers and shit.

I'd argue EVE is the direct competition on that one.

XIV 1.0 was basically XI-2 for the time, and we seen how poorly it was received by the masses. Tanaka is also to blame for the races being what they were.

The fact that Yoshida actually looked at market data and player feedback and created a MMO that sold gangbusters