Islam general

This thread is dedicated to high-quality discussion of Islamic theology, history, literature and philosophy. If you have any questions about Islam post them here.

Crusades roleplaying strongly discouraged.

Topic for discussion: Al-Andalus and the relations between people of different religions within.

Recommended reading: The Qur'an, Spiritual couplets, The Incoherence of the Incoherence, The Quran: With or Against the Bible, Riyad-us-Saliheen, The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

Thread videos:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL83A449092F8A3CBF
youtube.com/watch?v=pfheSAcCsrE
youtube.com/watch?v=lxo9iEX8W1c
youtube.com/watch?v=kZlEtV0rDPA

How big was the muslim population compared to the christians in al-andalus?

Should non muslims trust muslims?
Also why did Malcom X became muslim? It's not like Islam is the traditional religion of Africa

Why shouldn't non muslims trust muslims ?
Also there were independant muslim african kingdoms while aside from ethiopia the rest of africa became christian after european domination.

Maybe he was inspired after learning more about Islam. I think it is more likely that he converted to distance himself further from white people in the US.

Why do you hate pic related

Because muslims don't trust non muslims.

This sounds reasonable.

Tbh I wish Xanith could still live freely in Oman :-/

1/3rd of Africans sent to the US were at least nominally Muslim or infused Islam within their faith

It was early Muslims who resisted enslavement the most, D.R. highly recommended the end of Wolof captives while Brazil had one of the biggest threats to power by the Male.

Islam also was one spread by trade not force until the Peul Jihads.
He was NOI then converted to Islam to distance himself from NOI leadership. Then they killed him.

We don't hate dogs, you just can't keep them in your house.
My grandfather for example kept many dogs but he has a big garden so its doable.

That's not true most of my friends are atheist/agnostic christians and I would trust many of them with my life.

Old Mo already fought wars to spread his faith.

>you just can't keep them in your house.
Seems autistic. Do you ever stop and think how certain things like worrying which hand to wipe yourself with is kinda silly? Like what's with Salaries schools of thought that dictate every aspect of your life in an OCD manner?

Not baiting genuinely curious.

Salaries was meant to be Salafist*

Is it a cultural thing with the dogs, instead a religious one? I know many muslims who really hate dogs the same way they hate pigs. They don't want any near them, especially in the house. They are mostly Moroccan or Turkish though.

Most people only care about bigger issues including which hand to wipe.
People should really stop thinking that we are an hivemind who follow the quran 100%.
Also if we had an actual caliph I think most rules would have been adapted to modern society already.

I'm a turk and I've never met anyone who hated dogs. Like I said its just a hygiene rule to keep dogs out of your house but you can keep them in your garden or whatever.

I meant *not including

No. Devout muslims consider non-muslims to be subhuman.

I read that in many places during the early Islamic conquests, Islam was mostly the religion of the elite, and conversion among the common population was a slow process. I imagine it wasn't like this in the polytheistic Arab areas, but what about say Egypt, the levant and other areas?

If I'm not mistaken it was similar to the PLC's relationship with it's Orthodox provinces.

There were lots of Muslims especially among the nobility. But most of the land was majority Catholic.

Islam is very popular among black nationalists because historically West Africa had lots of Muslims and Islam had a mysterious and anti-western character which made it very appealing to people who wanted to reject what they saw as western bonds placed on their ancestors. But Malcolm X became a proper Muslim simply because he felt he found the truth in it, by the end of his life he was a bone fide Muslim rather than doing it for political reasons.

Not necessarily, they might be untrustworthy people. But you shouldn't not trust them just because they're Muslim.

Egypt was majority Christian for a long time, Christians are still a huge minority in Egypt.

I think the Levant converted much faster though iirc.

It's somewhat true, insofar as there being 'Islam' to begin with. The Arabs who settled across the Middle East and beyond had their own culture and came from all classes. So while they had a particular view of religion and an idea that they once had a prophet leading them, it wasn't something so organized as to be a religion with solid rites and boundaries, and conversion was more like adopting Arab customs. And while the Arab aristocracy did insert themselves into the ranks of the local elite throughout the Middle East, many were simply tribesmen who mostly just lived segregated lives from the rest of the populace. Only in places like Northern Syria, Khorasan, Morocco, and Iberia did they all merge into local societies as elites.

In Egypt, Libya, the Levant, Iraq, and Iran, they instead set up garrison towns in depopulated areas close to the desert. So while they were clearly a ruling minority, in these new towns they were a local majority and occupied all levels of society. Conversion came as slaves and non-Arab immigrants moved in and over the course of a generation adopted their customs, but it was this group who formulated Islam as a coherent system. It's hard to say then that they converted so much as they created something that one could convert to.

Also, there was another kind of conversion, this time more populist. Shi'ites, in their clash with Umayyad and eventually Sunni overlords, spread out into the frontiers and fringe of the Arab empire and preached a form of religious revolution among both Arabs and non-Arabs.

>le autism meme
The reason we don't keep dogs in the house is because their hair gets everywhere and dirties everything up. If you've ever owned a large dog you would know this.

So let me get this right. Mohammad was traveler in his early years and picked up Judaism influences thus creating Islam and uniting Arab tribes together under the banner of Islam, converting other tribes or conquering them. Then after conquering the whole of the Arabian peninsula he went and beat the Byzantines just because ?

Not exactly. He was a merchant who may have actually lived near the border with the Byzantine Empire among Judaized/Christianized Arabs and preached to them about reforming their ways, dropping all of their lingering polytheism, and forming a religious fraternity in preparation for the end times. He probably didn't have a goal beyond that, and the ones who began striking out at the Byzantine and Sassanid empires were probably in it for more straightforward political and economic reasons.

I like dogs

is the emergence of theocratic states heavily grounded in Islamic theology? Why or why not?

What's the deal with aniconism in Islam? Why is it practiced?

>is the emergence of theocratic states heavily grounded in Islamic theology?

no

>What's the deal with aniconism in Islam?

because Mohammed smashed the idols at the temple at Mecca after consecrating it to God

Lmao what

How do we know Muhammad was a prophet if he performed no sign? Every major prophet in the Jewish tradition performed a sign of God's approval, yet Muhammad expects us to just believe he is telling the truth?

ITT: taqqiya

>actually believing ancient fairy tales about people performing miracles (aka doing magic)

he actually did perform miracles according to Islamic tradition but that's not the point

the point is any talk of miracles, Christian or Muslim or Hindu or whatever, is bullshit until and unless we get it on clear video

Do you even know what that means pham

You can believe that. But the fact still remains the only way a religion can be true is if some supernatural event occurs to confirm the message given by it's founder(s). If, for instance, the first Hindus were convinced that their prophet could perform miracles then that is at least a rational basis for the faith. The fact they were misled is irrelevant - the conclusions follow from the premises.

As far as I can see with Muhammad the only reason anyone followed him was because he was a powerful warlord. People just believed in him because they were under the threat of death if they didn't

>Hindus
>prophet

kek

also, Mohammed like i said did perform miracles but just like any other miraculous account (like Jesus walking on the water, etc) it is impossible to verify if it actually happened because you don't have video proof and people can lie

he also didn't start out as a warlord but as a preacher and attracted a bunch of followers that way.