/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

"2 hours and nobody made a new thread" edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/m9dCeccS
youtube.com/watch?v=UaLFul9XsSA
youtube.com/watch?v=L67Xb4tgVv8
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature#Animal_people
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So when the update eventually gets here, where do you plan on sending a raiding party to first?

Elven capital

Anyone got an infographic on minecart ramps?

what will you do when your soldiers disappear and the cheeky elves send back "dwarf biscuits"?

outbreed the elves and send more troops

>2 hours and nobody made a new thread

So for real rape mod when?

When you code it

>Cataract Surgery: Before and After
I like this one the best

*notices corpse on surface*

"o r o what's this?"

I mean, this implies that this dude has some knowledge about cataract surgery, but this is from a civ that lives in feudal fortresses with no access to steel. How the hell are they in any position to perform such delicate procedures? Maybe a dwarven doctor with steel/adamantine instruments taught this dude how it worked.

When will we get to capture animalfolk and forcibly educate them and keep them as citizens/slaves

I modded humans to be able to work with pig iron/steel/candy

>The book of words
Congrats, one of your dwarves made a dictionary

It could be a thesaurus.

Well by then I already figured it out, turns out NS ramps are fucky and using either a N ramp OR a S ramp works for moving carts to and from z levels.

Also figuring out minecarts is easy, there are tons of tutorials out there.

For anyone wondering this is the raw edits (not including the steel/candy add)

pastebin.com/m9dCeccS

The genned world has every tile filled with towns/hamlets

>exploring combustion
it appears we have a budding pyromaniac

Any decent adventure mode video series anyone would be willing to recommend?

>trying my absolute hardest to find a flat plain with little to no trees to sit my future massive castle
>give up and just settle on a beach
>nearly flat
>idea time
>channel out a fuckton of dirt
im a genius

Joel from vinesauce

matt from Vsauce

jack from previously recordedsauce

>Ever recommending Previously Recorded for anything. Even as a joke.
Over the line.

is only game why you heff to be mad
and jack is a fucking lobotomized libtard mongoloid

youtube.com/watch?v=UaLFul9XsSA

Iv never seen their gaming videos, but they cant be that bad surely

jack has the personality of a brick and the chemistry between him and rich is acid
it is bad
rich could work fucking wonders with mike or the wizard or even jay
but nope
jack

They're unbelievably shit if you have even a modicrum of knowledge about video games. I'm not sure who the fuck told these guys they were capable of reviewing anything but movies because they're such inept turbocasuals that even a 10 year old would be able to give you less worthless opinions. Even yahtzee or 7 pesos jose are more worth your time than them.

It's true they're bad

If you really have no choice with a webber and melee dwarves, then dropping the melee dwarves from above can help - they usually fall directly onto the FB or Titan, and usually (not always) get a killing blow pretty quickly. It is more risky than fighting a non webber FB, but it certainly makes it very possible.

The fucking psyop, need to kill this guy

Humans selling me stuff made of divine cloth. Is this supposed to happen?

So... he's a flat earther?

Appears so

When you do this, can they even get candy? Does the game just magically give civs the materials they're capable of working with?

I still don't get the point of going through all the trouble of setting up minecart hauling routes when you could just use some wheelbarrows instead. It's not like I NEED much of the stone from 100z levels below my main fort by the time I get down there.
Note that this opinion is only about the intended use of minecarts and not all the fun other stuff you can get them to do.

Not sure on that, ill be looking aroundsoon enough

No. It happens anyway.

>abusing the spiked balls
for shame

I know, right? Prepared meals are the thinking man's exploit.

True patricians sell serrated discs AKA dorfcoins

Do our goods end up in adventure mode markets? Could I make a used-spiked-balls-salesman?

>legendary everything
>serpant man venom

Great.

Is there a way to continue worldgen on a world? i played a game as adventurer on one and now i want to continue history for the world, can this be done? even if it's buggy

r8 first fortress

Not really. Somebody made a DFhack script that keeps the calendar advancement screen going for an arbitrary amount of time, but that's not quite the same thing. It's the closest you'll get though. I can't tell you any details though.

>horrible tileset
>4 chairs 1 table

Not really but you can make a fort and just lock everyone in a room and let time advance until they all die. Turn off all auto-pauses in announcements.txt
Or get a vampire/other immortal and lock them in a room then let the game run for ages to charge forward into the future.

>Too much Phoebus
>Shit ton of mugs
>Farms in entrance
>Inefficient layout of stockpiles
>Random rooms with no discernable meaning
>Stone stockpiles
>Almost no workshops
>Insecure entrance
>No airlocks
>No bedrooms
>Random wooden walls in an otherwise stone room
>Massive stockpiles with zero bins
>Random two tile thick walls in an otherwise one tile thick fort
>Strange allocation of where dwarves should go
>Shitty pathing layout
>Mismatch between wooden and stone furniture
>Built directly at ground level
>Improvised
>Wood stockpile doesn't cover 2/3rds of the map yet
>No stairways
>Two of three picks not in use
>Farms are on the other side of the fort to the food, which is on the other side of the fort to the kitchen and butchery
>Nothing is smoothed

Overall, it's pretty good for a first fortress.

well it's the difference between a lot dwarfs using wheelbarrows vs a few using a minecart

>4 chairs 1 table
surprised you could even spot a table/chairs in that aesthetic abhorrence

>Somebody made a DFhack script that keeps the calendar advancement screen going for an arbitrary amount of time, but that's not quite the same thing. It's the closest you'll get though. I can't tell you any details though.

Can you link it?

One thing: why the hell do all the chickens go to my tavern?

I just loaded up with whatever DFHack gave me. What tileset is most pleasing to the eye?

Goddamnit why is this retard eating in the library?

custom lawmaking when so i can lock these idiots up

>What tileset is most pleasing to the eye?
vanilla

They go to the tavern because it's a meeting area, and somehow chickens know how to read signs.

As for the tileset, it's all personal preference. I use the original ASCII, but there's a ton of great tilesets out there to choose from if you don't like the default look.

Can I irrigate and farm on smoothed floors? The wiki is rather unclear about it.

You remember that convention Toady talked about attending? Here's the video from it:
youtube.com/watch?v=L67Xb4tgVv8

Jump to 6:00 for Toad. Don't be startled by the long running time, Toady only talks for an hour.

Yes

Well now we know why he hasn't updated for 12 days. Been busy doing this.

Thanks for the link.

His slideshow is very cute desu, his little doodles are charming

can candy veins be solid all the way through or do they all have that 2x2 clown tube?

What should I do with all these masterpiece copper swords my weaponsmith has been making for training. Don't want to just smash them or his mood might go from ecstatic to just pretty great.

You could sell them without impacting his mood.

Are offerings affected by mandates? My Duchess says no exporting short swords, but am I allowed to just give them away?

In a chunk of map with three tubes one will always be hollow part way down as I recall.

Get something that's an ascii-like, Taffer and Wanderlust are good examples. The main reason people don't go for graphical tilesets around here is because they're all kind of jenky and make it near impossible for other people to tell what's going on in screenshots unless they're familiar with that particular tileset.

IMHO if you're going to use vanilla you might want to copy a custom color scheme, the harsh blues and greens can be a little hard on the eyes too.

I have two questions

1. how do I get the seed of a world I have already generated?

2. what Wanderer's Friend derivative is best?

Export Local Images from the pause menu and it will also spit out a file with all the worldgen params.

Hello everyone, I'm just making sure that everyone who wishes to has the opportunity to sign up for the upcoming succession fortress. Email is here:
[email protected]

As always, dwarf names, professions, and types of fort are up for suggestion, as we haven't had many yet.

How many people have signed up already?

Fucking dust beasts. Luckily this guy was the only one hit by the dust and he managed to kill the damn thing. I wonder if he has any chance of surviving whatever this is...

#prayforurvad

Are there any sharkmen? Orcamen? Sperm whalemen?
There should be.

Is this the same old shit we've seen before or does he say anything new?

5 right now.

He has a chance but... it looks bad user. To an observer within the fort he looks like a dwarf in the middle of morphing into a big red pumpkin.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature#Animal_people

This could prove problematic
Im not even neighboured with a tower so I guess they just travelled far

no idea, I'm just starting watching it now. even if he says the same thing, it's comfy to hear him talk about DF.

I really hope he stops talking about those alcohol poisoned cats, though. I'm not sure if toady has noticed, but DF has gotten a lolsorandom reputation because of it.

Hey /dfg/ I've been working on a race/civ mod that adds a bunch of new civilized creatures to the game. I'm just wondering if it'd be better if I limited it to 1 civ each to make them more rare and meaningful if you embark next to one or have them be uncapped. I mean someone could easily change it to what they like but I'm talking about the default.

His whole body is like this. The hospital is currently a big cloud of miasma. The health report screen for the fort though doesn't have him tagged with "Inoperable Rot" though so there might be hope. Too bad not a single one of my doctors has the slightest clue what they're doing since my fort's been extremely safe so far.

the fact that he's still alive is probably a good indicator that the syndrome isn't deadly. just let the hospital staff patch him up as good as they can.

yes he says new stuff, specifically about how the 3 game mods behave towards each other in consideration of story progression, the muggings/guards and the new artifact system, and then about the myth generator
it doesn't stop at the end of his segment though, there's a question panel after the presentations where he does give a few more answers to things (like generated languages)

"I'm good." ~ Urvad

He's still got some moderate blistering but the rot is gone and he's up and working again.

what a trooper, give him a mug of ale and a statuette of him killing the beast to put on his shelf.

To keep the chickens out of your tavern, you can assign a pasture zone from 'i' and order all your chickens herded there.

>Dog soap

Will they all get hunted to death?

Thank you for the advice. I'll keep switching between graphic tilesets before I find one I like. I am a fan of ascii - but as you say, it is difficult on the eyes. Guess that's the case if you're not used to it.

lmao

My dwarves all eat in the library too. I have no idea why.

Well Dwarven civilizations don't have candy unless you dig it up in your fort, so...

>Will they all get hunted to death?
Not especially. Most animals are non-hostile to anything, even small prey animals, and won't fight unless they randomly meander right into another creature.
That's only most animals, though. Undead are hostile to all life, invaders kill animals for fun, and badgers sometimes fly into berserker rages. If there's any of these on your map, any outdoor animals are going to be at risk.
However, chickens don't need to eat, and you can just keep them indoors forever with no penalties.

>some dumbass dropped a rotting crundle corpse on a part of my central staircase in a spot they had no business bringing a crundle corpse in the first place
why must they do this to me