incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

hero.handmade.network/episodes
youtube.com/watch?v=C8kZ3HfeqtA&t=5s
reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/70u6iq/the_godot_engine_has_achieved_its_first_patreon/
youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What are the best retard-proof tutorials for learning basic game making and programming?

chicken pic is worse than artist looking for programmer post your engine meme

How do i make my voxel graphics not look like shit?

Watch the 5 pre- handmade hero episodes, the "intro to C" part.

hero.handmade.network/episodes

change them to not be voxels

Make characters two-tone. One color doesn't draw the eye as much as two contrasting each other. Other than that, it looks fine to me as is.

Learn You A Haskell

New enemy concept

added a new destruction mode that uses pre-defined cellfracture from Blender

looks way better than throwing static trees around in my opinion

You can do that within Unreal as well.

progress:
> level tiles rotate and connect now
> tiles have slight random variations

twitter: @glovegames

Friendly reminder that you share this thread with literal pedophiles

No bully

jesus christ i can't believe discord is so degenerate. absolutely sick

btw where is simloli dev? i miss him

i cant read that red text on grey background

why did you steal the legs from Kotobukiya's Kagutsuchi Frame Arms kit?

Gee bill, how come your dad lets your turtle shed gravity-defying tears?

Start here

Trying to power through learning SOMETHING but I'm juggling so much shit right now that nothing feels like it's sticking.

Kill me.

your game has gone in directions that I just wasn't expecitng
I like it

Add a fancy lighting system.

Triangulate meshes and spend 10 minutes making a shader that doesn't suck.

Got a question for you folks...

I want to make a visual novel BUT with Myst like gameplay (example: You're in an office, you can move from room to room with a click, talk to someone and the next day starts... Not many branches, but enough to let the player "explore')

What game engine would allow this? I wanted to check out Famous Writer (Hatoful Boyfriend engine) but there's almost nothing about it... Twine 2.0 seems like it's not reliable enough... Ren'Py: Easy to use if I don't have a coding background?

>What game engine would allow this?
Javascript.

Unity is what all walking simulators are made with.

Use System 4.0 from AliceSoft
Its SDK is freely distributed, it have a lot of features and thoroughly documented.

Is positional sound (like footsteps getting quieter as someone walks away) too complicated for someone doing it all by themselves?

no.

>Easy to use if I don't have a coding background?
"I want to make a game but all I know how to do is make crudely drawn anime characters."
Either pay a programmer to do what you want or just deal with the fact that you can't have original gameplay mechanics if you don't know how to program.

No.

How to I make a Deus Ex style game with lots of conspiracy theories not seem stupid?
youtube.com/watch?v=C8kZ3HfeqtA&t=5s

For most people? No. If you have to ask though, it's too complicated for you.

That's a retarded fucking question. You learn how to write.

It looks interesting, thank you.
I'm not looking for original gameplay mechanics, I'm just looking for something to make a visual novel with.

Also throwing enemies at walls now damages them a little bit, some balancing required.

>lots of conspiracy theories not seem stupid
Not possible. Even though Deus Ex is good, the conspiracy theory dialogue always seem like a Youtuber wrote it.

how many turtles had to die for this you sick fuck

Not when most of it is coming true

Ooh
That enemy health display is a cute idea
I never noticed it before this one

Don't want to start an LLC due to administrative costs and effort. Just gonna release my game on itch.io for free.

BUT, if I allow people to donate if they like the game, could this put me in a sensitive position? I'm not looking to make money off this, but a small amount from people who actually enjoyed it would be welcome. Would that make it more likely for some shitty bastards to sue me for all I own? Obviously I'd be liable either way, but I just want to be sure I'm not bending myself over a barrel.

no! don't listen to him! that book actually gives you the mumps

Every country has its own rules, most likely noone will give a shit about the 2$ your game will make though

Posted in wrong thread

UE4 devs,

Whats the best way to get enemies to take alternate paths?

Like I want my enemies to all try to come from the same place and walk across my map to get to the objective. Put I dont want them all to just follow the same route like a line of ducks.

is that the actual game, or did someone edit that?

good voxels are pixel art principles in 3D.

Any game that have any sort of mechanics will require you to learn to program, even making shit in twine.
System 4.0 is old as fuck and only have documentation in Japanese, the guy is taking a piss.

That's the actual game

In america and most states its something like

that number being your capital gains for the year.*

>Go on LERADITT
>Some post about Godot
>Everyone shits on it
>No reason to use it
>Maybe in 5 years lol

You know your engine sucks when even plebs shit on it.

You know you are cuck if you care for plebs opinion.

Gimme a case of a small whodev being sued over tips for a free game.
Shit like that doesn't happen.

I'm an avid redditor and that's a lie, /r/gamedev loves Godot.

reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/70u6iq/the_godot_engine_has_achieved_its_first_patreon/

>have unique game mechanic
>tfw no idea for a game that uses it
>tfw can't discuss it anyone because everyone is evil and wants to steal my ideas and my soul

I promise I won't steal your idea user

Do the Ace Combat and don't set it in real world.

Are lives a good mechanic?

Yes but not for all game types

But thats wrong, you retard.

As someone else already linked.

If you're making an arcade game: Yes.
If you're making any other sort of game: Fuck no, never ever.

unique doesn't mean fun
your definition of unique also doesn't mean unique for others
face the reality

That someone else is me too, literally no one is shitting on it in the link I posted.

Anything short, action packed and level based could benefit from a lives system, not just arcade games.

>Short
>Action packed
>Level based.

You'd be hard pressed to find a game genre that ticks all of those boxes, but isn't arcade.

could I get in trouble for copying tiles from nintendo? I'm not necessarily talking pixel for pixel but just if I look at some of their tiles for '''inspiration''' and make some of my tiles look a lot like theirs could I get in trouble for that? what if they've made a tile that is something very generic, like a piece of a road. you know, some grey with some white lines in the middle. I can't get in trouble for copying that one right?

super meat boy technically isnt an arcade game (even though it is).

no it's fine

>super meat boy technically isnt an arcade game (even though it is).

Its how most console action games before the fifth gen are like. Even early fps games fit the description.

it has a story and an end-game, but a very loose one.

I bet this guy voted for Hillary.

Super meat boy doesn't use lives and would be totally impossible if it did. Life systems only work for arcadey games that lack content or challenge or both.

That's because the vast majority of pre-5th gen games were arcade games that last about an hour long tops on a clean run through or just never end. When more advanced genres like RPG and FPS came along, lives went out the window because they're just not an appropriate mechanic for longer games or games that are difficult.

>have unique game mechanic
>no idea for a game that uses it
what

Why do some people who use Unity make their own pathfinding, rather than use the built-in NavMeshAgent?

no

Why exactly?

What did he mean by this ?

That's not the definition of an arcade game, "arcade" isn't even a genre but the basic definition of an arcade-style game is "short levels, simple and intuitive control schemes, and rapidly increasing difficulty."
There are plenty of actual arcade games that have storylines and endings like Major Havoc for example.

Only if "arcade game" means anything influenced by arcade games to you. FPS games would benefit from a lives system, many people already do pistol starts and dont save mid level. Most modern action games are easier than arcade games too. Meat Boy wouldnt be impossible with a lives system, but it would highlight how badly designed it is.

Example mechanic: 4-dimensional space projected onto multiple views of your screen, and an intuitive way to navigate it.

Missing: game that employs it

It's safe, if you could just mention your idea and people would steal it and make your game for you then we wouldn't have to make our own games

What if it's a cat game

probably something about starbucks

If you're saying that "arcade" means games that are literally designed for arcade machines, then you're stuck living in the 80s. Arcade refers to games that embody arcade design ideals e.g. short, simplistic gameplay, minimal story elements.

>FPS games would benefit from a lives system, many people already do pistol starts and dont save mid level.

The whole point of lives is that you restart the entire game if you run out; even call of duty games aren't short enough (yet) for it to be viable to make the player restart the whole game if they died too many times on one bit.
The only contemporary genre where lives would work is roguelites and even then you would have to water down the gameplay a lot to make lives work.
Lives have their place with arcade games, trying to crowbar them into other genres isn't going to work out.

Nice alley cat clone.

youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw

That's not a game mechanic, just a really vague interface idea.

personally how I do it is that levels have checkpoints, but if you run out of lives you restart the level rather than the whole game

I just figure getting extra lives is a simple way to reward the player

Define " 4-dimensional space"

Thank you. I was looking for this to link to that fella

this

The arcade ideal has been such a massive influence on console and even pc games that the distinction becomes pointless semantics. Restarting the whole game if you run out of lives isnt a must, in fact a lack of that punishment is the main thing along with a lack of scoring that distinguished console games from most arcade games, certainly later ones. Lives worked fine in Megaman for example, aside from the fact that you can grind them.

What are fair odds for a guessing game?
50%?

I was fiddling around with a simple hi-lo and made it solves itself by halfing
Since it's not just strictly guessing I was thinking the best odds should be slightly biased towards success, because people will screw up anyways
So does a 70% success rate sound right?

If it were some sort of gambling minigame I'd go for 50% or maybe lower, but since it's just for fun. What degree of difficulty do people find fun?
Not just in the example, but as applied to anything with aspects of RNG

>Lives worked fine in Megaman for example
Tons of good older games had them. Newer games don't because we figured out they were an unnecessary convention. Same thing with scoring. People put them in home console games because they thought that was how games worked.

Unless it's literally an optional gambling mini-game, I don't think anyone would find pure random chance fun. Games are fun because we can influence the outcome with skill

Yeah punishment for mistakes is now considered archaic, as is replaying games to master them instead of dropping them after a single playthrough. Sad.

Never rely on actual pure RNG, it's stupid and never feel right, especially in video games it should be biased towards success, just like in gambling, it would let you win the first few times but you'll loose when you play too much, a better tweak would be decreasing success rate after every success (until it reaches the real value you're showing, in this case 50%), then reset it back when failure happens.
The human mind has a weird expectation of probability, if you have a 90% hitrate yet miss 5 times in a row you'd be pissed even if it's fair, it's a video game, you try to make it fun and addictive as much as possible, so tweaks are needed, if you're making a hardcore roguelike then that's another subject.
With all that being said, it's just a minigame so it won't matter unless the reward can be game breaking

There's already punishment for dying. Adding an extra punishment for dying repeatedly is unnecessary.

You're right, there's literally no way to offer a challenge besides a lives system from 30 years ago.