freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot (4x - 2) / (x + 3)
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot (4x^4 - 2x^3 + x^2 - 1) / (x^4 + 3)
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot 4 - 0.8^x from 0 to 20
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Plot[(0.5+Cos[theta])/Cos[theta],{theta,-Pi/2,Pi/2}]
twitter.com/AnonBabble

GDC a shit

How does it feel knowing that after years of effort into your game you might break 100 sales?

good because it's just my
H O B B Y
O
B
B
Y

I'd be happy if I ever produced something that people would notice and pay money to have.

Need gms, gm2 advice. Need to store mutiple values to individual ds_grid cells and trying to figure out the best way around it. I'm gonna need to save and load this so im planning on hacking around it with ds_grid_create(width, height*depth) and accessing the cell at (x,y,z) as (x, y+z*height) Any pros/cons or better suggestions? It's not ideal but its all I can some up with.

>Almost all of us are programmers so it's usually artists and sound designers who are in demand, although there's a shitposter who pretends to be an artist looking for a project so people tend to ignore those offers.

If anyone is looking for one for something not too big maybe I could help

gdc has been shit for a long time. The amount of bullshit talks they accept is astounding.

Got a 3 stage zoom in/out thing going on when you scroll the mouse wheel. Also increased the y axis camera level so you can go to a top down view if you want.

smooth

What does it mean to be a game developer?

you just want to store slices basically on a plane in one line? i doubt there's a better way to do it.

You have ten seconds to come up with an original game mechanic

a mechanic where you design your own game instead of asking others to do it for you.

Pee into potion bottles and based on your radiation levels at the time you get different ones

When you die the game literally uninstalls itself.

or better yet that game that deleted a random file off your computer on each death.

You continue playing as the winning entity after every battle

Think I have highlighting text done for now.
I have been struggling with this for so long, when will my torment be over?

..Hopefully, this time it will be all right. Every time I have completed this feature something shows up in the morning that makes me have to completely redo all of my work.

Didn't Omikron do something like this?

What's your plans?

Nice work on implementing core features first.

when you die, game steals all your credit cards numbers

You niggas cant even finish a thread how you gonna finish a game

CINEMATIC VISUAL ENTERNTAINMENT

wow the bg art looks like art from a real game what ar eyou doing my nignga

Trying to make a Morrowind style dialogue system where its based on topics that you learn based on the dialogue itself.

Going to try to add a topic list on the right, a few mock databases for things like topic groups, base topics such as 'rumors' etc and then tying it into the basic NPC database I have right now.

After I do that I can work on trying to add a proof of concept quest.

Thanks! With UI its lot of little bells and whistles that make it work.

>game freezes with any text
awful

>original
Already been done

This is unbelievably cute

Nice walking sim

This is entirely plausibly cute.

Whats it mean

Yep, thats pretty much it. But each cell in each 'layer' is going to have a load additional data behind it, I'm just going to have to minimise the damage with chunk loading. Thanks for the feedback.

Nice, that's immediately what I thought of actually. Sounds fun

you have no excuse to be so rude

Made the crescent moon blades a bit wider, honestly I like how they look now.

Very rough wall jump implementation, but progress is progress.
To do:
>make it require movement input away from wall (like SM64)
>make the direction relative to wall's surface normal
>make sure the wall is (almost) at a 90 degree angle, so you can't jump off slopes
>figure out why the character doesn't rotate properly if he jumps off a surface aligned with the YZ plane
>design the rest of the game

>figure out why the character doesn't rotate properly
you should have him auto-rotate slightly toward the center of the opposing wall
because it will be far too difficult for a player to do that manually at high speed back and forth

>too difficult for some people to do so have the engine do it for them
you ruined gaming

nah, it's expected behavior
if you remember, you couldn't fall off the back/front of a wall while walljumping in sm64

The rotation there is actually fine, but with walls perpendicular to those, it's completely fucked up. The solution is probably simple but I'm going to bed in a bit and don't feel like looking at it right now.

>because it will be far too difficult for a player to do that manually at high speed back and forth
Not when I get the velocity tuned right.

>you couldn't fall off the back/front of a wall while walljumping in sm64
If you mean the way I slipped off the edge at the end of the webm, that's because I haven't made the direction relative to the wall's surface normal yet. That should be easy to do since I'm already using linetraces to check if there's a wall there in the first place.

Send help.

Why does Spiderman have boneitis? How is he going to deliver pizzas now?

How can I into a curve that never reaches 1.0 even given infinite time without flatout capping the value at something like 0.9?

look up asymptotes

Leave it.

>looks up asymptotes
>stumbles on mathworld.wolfram
Holy fuck that place is a rabbit hole I don't want to climb in. But that thing there looks interesting....

Thanks user

First of all, you're specifically looking for horizontal asymptotes.

Second, think of the simplest possible function you could have with an asymptote, let's say at 4. Well, that would be the constant 4.
Now consider that 4 = 4/1, well 4/1 = 4x/1x, and so you can have less important terms following, such as:
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot (4x - 2) / (x + 3)

So, now instead of just BEING 4 everywhere, it's approaching 4 in some way. So the coefficients of the largest power will determine the asymptote. Now you can play around with it, for instance:
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot (4x^4 - 2x^3 + x^2 - 1) / (x^4 + 3)
it's still approaching 4 for large x.

Isn't this high school math?

Also depending on your purposes and the values you're interested in,
(asymptote) - (number between 0 and 1)^x might be worth looking at:
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot 4 - 0.8^x from 0 to 20

it's supposed to be similar to pic related, but the formula as written (which is supposed to be the main topic of the presentation) is completely wrong. in pic related it would get infinitely bright at the edges, and depending on the surface roughness parameter the result is completely implausible everywhere and not just at the edges.

here is just the highlighted part: (there is nothing in that compensates for it)
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Plot[(0.5+Cos[theta])/Cos[theta],{theta,-Pi/2,Pi/2}]

>he went to school
lol, like anyone actually uses math IRL

another function to look at is sigmoid()
a*sigmoid(x - b) + c
a: scaling how fast it rises (or falls)
b, c: horizontal, vertical offsets

I know rite? Maths as about as usefull today as penmanship and spelling

>not penmenship
one job

bro I'm IRL af rn

I mispelled it ironically

We need [code] from /g/ and [math], [eqn] from Veeky Forums

whats the difference with math and eqn tags, if they even exist?

Artist here

If anyone wants i could create some 3d models

different modes of LaTeX rendering. Inline and block

unlikely. they don't add shit to entire boards for a single general.

>hey user, could you show us any games you're making
>i-it's not done yet
>come on, just show us!
>*shows them an unfinished buggy mess of a game*

that's why there needs to be a gamedev board

Okay.

>buggy
Why don't you fix your bugs immediately, you filth?

god no, individual generals for every tool would be terrible.

Oh god no. We are hidden away pretty neatly right now. We don't need every faggot from every other board dropping by to provide their "expertise".

There aren't enough people here to form one. Maybe 500 people tops, with 1/4-ish of those being devs.
It would legitimately be the smallest board on the website. Probably smaller than /3/.

i bet code people post here looks exactly like they wrote it any way. after all, gamedevs are not real programmers

we tried that at 8ch

If you want small try /po/

should I cater to savescummers?
my game has days and weeks and I was thinking of having a more permanent save for the first day of each week, then a overwritable save on a daily basis where it auto saves at the end of each day
but the end of each day may come at a time when the player does not have access to the place he loads from, so saving would be forced in some situations
there would be NO manual saving

>the influx of 404'd threads when the holidays come and other boards pass around their cards and stuff
/po/ must dread it every year

It worked fine before all the initial gamergay drama dispersed and the usercount went down though

Depends on your game I guess. If it has a heap of missable content I would allow savescumming. Nothing worse that a game where you miss out on ubersword because you weren't at the mall on tuesday at 11:23am. I fucking hate shit like that.

Don't cater to them, but also don't make it too hard on them. Let them copy the save files if they really want to savescum.

They're probably more or less deadset on doing things that way, and they'll just stop playing your game if you make it too hard to savescum. You don't really gain anything from losing them.

That said, it sounds like you should still allow for players to save/quit ASAP. Shit happens, and it's lame to have to replay 30 minutes because grandma shit the bed.

I'm so opposite of this, I want "skyrim where time matters" so you just can't possibly do a fraction of the possible things in a single playthrough.

>Probably smaller than /3/
No way. Agdg right now is ten times faster than the entirety of /3/. Making a gamedev board will also bring in more people because it'll be on the front page.

Playing for N hours only to realize you missed something by a minute would be extremely annoying though.

>every armchair game designer and "MMORPG in space with zombies and crafting" idea guys converging to enlighten us
no thanks, i'd rather /agdg/ copy /jp/ with the occasional new person.

everyone wants to be a game developer these days. /3/ is /po/-tier niche.

>occasional new person
>implying it doesn't constantly draw whodevs to advertise in recap and demodays

well maybe if we would stop using outside sites, it wouldnt keep happening.

That's why there'd be an ideas thread to contain random idea posters.

>not around enough to recognize the games
>perpetually butthurt about recap/demo
:thinking:

Start by deleting those agdg websites that can easily be indexed by search engines.

Where's your game?

The "general to contain the thing we don't like" idea never works.
They would still cross-post in the thread for the tool they recently downloaded but havent launched. To ask us how hard their game idea would be in tool.
/agdg/ works (for the most part) because we're all in one place. Split everyone up into their corners and everything gets stale.

this but unironically

The current enemy sprite sheet. I like seeing all the frames packed together, it is kind of cool.

>posting your art somewhere it's probably going to be stolen
are you insane

Stolen, thanks sucker

mind if I steal this?

owned

added detection for corners. Couldn't be fucked doing something smart so I just brute forced it, and it didn't take too long anyway
this didn't need to be a webm but I like making them

I mean, you can just download the game and access all the sprite sheets. Here is another one. If you use it just post what you make here!

>hiding a virus in a sprite sheet to get back at stealers
how dumb do you think I am? nice try tho