freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/swinging-physics-for-player-movement-as-seen-in-spider-man-2-and-energy-hook--gamedev-8782
strawpoll.me/13979525
llvm.org/
twitter.com/_Thumbtackdev/status/888825284614422529
youtube.com/watch?v=J9FImc2LOr8
hastebin.com/omezibolah.json
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first

I made tiling with a 2d table

gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/swinging-physics-for-player-movement-as-seen-in-spider-man-2-and-energy-hook--gamedev-8782
Why aren't you copying Spider-Man 2 for your rope swinging mechanics?

Because Spiderman 2's swing mechanics are useless without Bruce Campbell commentating.

strawpoll.me/13979525

Please take your meds.

LLVM isn't a compiler you utter spastic.

>llvm.org/
>The LLVM Project is a collection of modular and reusable compiler

>The LLVM Project is a collection of modular and reusable compiler and toolchain technologies.

PROGRAMMING IS NOT GAMEDEV

ART IS NOT GAMEDEV

yes it is

I'd just like to interject for a moment

drats he followed the link

Alright then, KLANG or whatever you subhumans use.

GAMEDEV IS NOT GAMEDEV

SKATEBOARDING IS NOT A CRIME

GAMEDEV MORE LIKE GAYDEV

Guys come on, let's pull it together
Do it for the games

working on airplane lvl

Why is this allowed?

WhY iS tHiS aLlOwEd?

Glenn is on vacation

is the end level boss a big guy

Cute
With plenty of castlevania enemies

how can a tree grow there

you should be able to colect pixels to get bigger, like a 2d version of knack

what would you post if you could only post to agdg once every 24 hours?
would it be PROGRESS?

benboquest is going places

memes
Hopefully we could all pull together to do our part

Progress or ban

>get bigger
good one

is like a punishment for killing to many enemies
the only way to shrink out again is to get hit

sorry to shill so obviously but this gif needs sound to be complete
twitter.com/_Thumbtackdev/status/888825284614422529

kek

Alright bros, I'm starting the AGDG MMO. What setting should it be? Should it be a platformer or traditional RPG? I am open to suggestions.

im already doing the platformer choose something else

fantasy RPG of course

A turn based strategy MMO

clicker mmo

Is there a way to replace bits of text being displayed from a text file? I'm trying to get line breaks working but it keeps bugging me about String to String[].

textLines is a String[]
textFile is a TextAsset

Any advice?

Snowy Slopes Level from Squirrel Sphere
if you dont time your balloons properly, you will be swept away

this is going to be around level 20, once the player is used to balloon mechanics

string.Replace does not return a string[].

What is a unique mechanic for a 100 player battle royal game?

Looks really cool. Could potentially have a big speedrunning community like Super Monkey Ball.

Why are the balloons not getting pushed away by the walls?

Looks good
Kinda bothers me visually how those wedges clip through

Is Replace only for Strings? How else can I work some line breaks in there? I'm using actual line breaks in the file to split the convo up into different messages.

diplomacy

You're overthinking it
a string is a different type from an array of strings

MIXELS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Your game is just one massive shitpost and I love it and you for that.
It also helps the core gameplay is actually pretty solid, I like the dash punch and the flip thing.

And String[] is the array? I'm still pretty new to all this.

I just want it to go from:
>You got an item! This is what it does.

To:
>You got an item!
>This is what it does.

But nothing I put in the source sentence (
, \n etc) translates as a line break, so I'll need to script one in somehow, right?

dont add the break in the first place

You're trying to assign a string to a string array, which obviously won't work as one if a datatype and the other is an array of a datatype.

Are you trying to have the newlines in your text asset or when you display it in your UI field?

agdg loves it
general public will love it too
it all makes me like it less ;(

thanks. yea hope so.
because that would ruin the level
thanks, you mean the camera? i still have to disable camera collision with them if I didnt already

I know it's really just a cosmetic thing but I feel it looks so much messier without line breaks.

Display. I want it with line breaks when it displays in the UI - the text appears in a textbox popup after you find an item.

how do you model without introducing unwanted triangles? Like I just want to move faces around but then they mess with the polys so I gotta go through and use the knife tool to carve out the edges. Extruding seems to solve this but it introduces 'steps' that I don't want. How do I make smooth things like boulders and rocks without having to run a filter/smooth over it?

THEN WHY ARE YOU REMOVING THEM

no one cares about tris on a hard surface model

How retarded is it to hard code every possible event in a grand strategy game? I'm assuming very retarded but I can't figure out how to possibly make the events data / script, like how would I parse a bunch of shit like:

event conditions
[
country.religion.type == "monotheism"
country.leader.age >= 35;
world.pope.alive == true;
]

event effects
[
a bunch of shit
]

Seems like it would take longer to write a mini-scripting language and parser to bind all of that data

Help I'm in over my head

>Import to game engine
>Everything becomes triangles
Why do you care? This is agdg not /3/

>I'm still pretty new to all this.
Thats okay, always mention this when asking for help

If you want to break up your single string:
>You got an item! \nThis is what it does.
into multiple strings
>You got an item!
>This is what it does

the function you want to use is string.split(). Even though it has a linebreak in it, as you pointed out \n and
are subjective, so a string with \n won't "break" automatically into separate lines unless you do it yourself

so is it fine if I don't carve them with a knife if the tris show up? Like do I need a line actually running through that I made or does the software already see it? Will it mess with my unwraps or when I port it to unreal if I don't cut the edges?

>won't "break" automatically into separate lines unless you do it yourself
*or your UI element is intelligent enough to put \n on a new line, which most probably are

I mean through the rest of the environment

I can overlook them going through floaty collectables and sinking into the floor because that just feels normal somehow
But when I see them just pop out of those tunnel looking things it looks bad, you know?

If you make a little DSL and put all the hard-coded stuff in separate files and don't want to have mods it's fine.

yea i know what u mean. im in the process of making the" slope factory" seem more natural

To the user asking about Unity and saving references, I figured out what I did if you still want the explanation

It's called Dofus

Yes please user.

No feedback except H Y P E

Use Lua, it's piss easy to embed once you understand its stack.

temporary game over state

next jam theme

youtube.com/watch?v=J9FImc2LOr8

>world.pope.alive
Do you have multiple worlds?
If you have multiple religions, why is there only one pope in the world
What about an event for a religious schism

you the guy making a grand strat in unity?

You have 2 months
Make a mecha spaceketball game

The actual line breaks in the source file are used to split the text into messages. The 10th and 11th lines in the pic are part of the same conversation, with one message displayed first and then the other displayed after you hit space. I also use the numbers to the side to tell the game which lines to show (start line: 10, end line: 11) so I'm pretty sure using something other than line breaks would mess up the counting (unless I'm wrong?).

The 8th line is supposed to be a single message, just with a visible line break in the middle. I don't want it to split into two messages, which is what using an actual line break would do to it.

I hope this all kinda makes sense? It's probably not the best way it could have been coded but it works for the most part.

I have a piece of code that reads:
>textLines = (theText.text.Split('\n'));
But I think it's what splits the text into messages when it sees actual line breaks - I don't want them as separate messages, they have to be on the screen at the same time. Is there another way I can use Split to do that?

What size textures to use for grass? 2K? 1024? 512? 4K?

16x16

grass on the terrain, not the plant meshes.

3D, not pixel art

you heard him

It has to do with the hashcode of the component you want to point to. Unfortunately this only works with references to Unity components, so if you have a class that isn't derived from monobehaviour it won't work.

I'm using JsonUtility.FromJson() to convert from JSON representations of objects on disk, into instanced objects in the hierarchy. Basically when I save, I make a note of the components hash, and any references on the component are saved as
"FieldName" : {"instanceID":-38888}}
where -38888 is the hashcode of the component we're pointing to

hastebin.com/omezibolah.json
The attached hastebin is my JSON save, with each line being a different component. A HUNTER class targets MONSTER instances, and each hunter has a CurrentTarget and a SecondaryTarget. So when JSON'ed, the field values are a json object with instanceId (hash code) of the referenced monster.

Then when I deserialize, I associate newly created objects hashcodes with the hashcode it had when it was saved, and go back through and update field references
>JsonUtility.FromJsonOverwrite(tempText, OldToNewHash[st._HashCode]);

This is turning out to be a shitty explanation, I can upload a Unity Project that has the code in it

Haven't you ever played Minecraft?

I'm not making a Minecraft clone. And I don't want people thinking I ripped off Minecraft's art style.

Its too complicated to have linebreaks be both your separator between messages, AND also actual linebreaks within your message.

You're probably right...

Maybe I can split it into messages with something else and find another way to keep track of which line is which. Thanks for the help!

DebugVendor can drop to negative gold because it's set to ignore currency constraints.

2x2 so you can texture each side. High-res sparse grass looks like shit, you need to spam it so the ground looks fuzzy.

It ok in the end if u dont like it I will still like u

>retail wow icons and not classic/warcraft only icons

shame

Here's the game over screen in action

"the difference between a programmer and an artist is the fidelity of their imagination" - John Carmack

He's right, artists have much better imagination.

Anyone know the data limits in gamemakers ds_grid data? For a single cell I mean.