/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

Weebshit dev: now by triple maximum executive order. Act now or face the consequences.

> Play Demo Day 16
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16

> Upcoming Mecha Jam
itch.io/jam/op-mechanoid

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/xfSiTwuP
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/jAByvH3V

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-09-22-pubg-devs-call-out-epic-over-fortnite-battle-royale-mode
store.steampowered.com/app/522900/When_It_Hits_the_Fan/
pcgamer.com/trademark-dispute-with-bethesda-forces-praey-for-the-gods-name-change/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Excellent

YANDEREDEV YANDEREDEV!

Why isn't your game done yet!?

postin' an ancient cancelled agdg game that no one remembers

Is there anything I have to worry about breaking if I write my own jump code on top of UE4's character controller? I want more control than the default jump can offer but I'm worried it may have some side effect that the rest of the character controller is expecting.

Animation system update!

I can't believe this actually works, I'm so happy!

Autism dump:
Okay, so, things that are animated have a four-letter identifier for their sprite, for example "PLCM" for Cmulko's sprite ( wink wink nudge nudge, got inspired by DECORATE for this system), then for example walking would be "W", direction downwards would be "D" and then numbers 0-3 for the sequence of sprites.
So when Cmulko walks down, it cycles from PLCMWD0 through PLCMWD1, PLCMWD2, PLCMWD3 and repeat.
I only have two states right now, W - walking and S static, but I'll have more. I made a thing for storing and lookup of all the good things like game tics per sprite animation frame and stuff. Frames can even last an infinitely long time, such as the ones where Cmulko is just idle - static.

This system is modular and, more importantly, generalized for all animated sprites that will use it, such as monsters' sprites and stuff. Means animation will be easier to change now. And it fucking works. I can't believe it.

Here it is at work - webm related.

thanks, the pop could probably be just better animated
old webm, there was a period when she didn't have heterochromia, but i chose to bring it back because it goes nicely with the name and the theme

Don't talk to me about ancient unless you're talking about 2012 AGDG.

HOW THE FUCK DO I SOLVE THIS IN UNITY???

Im want to access variables inside a script of an object the player is colliding with

Need some hype music there

Make them properties with public setters.

Money is a public property

>cancelled agdg game that no one remembers

so all of them?

You stop being retarded and learn how to program, that's how.

How to stop being retarded version 1: Use the generic GetComponent instead of the old, outdated stringed version. other.gameObject.GetComponent().money = 10;

How to stop being retarded version 2: Box the return value of the stringed GetComponent call: (MoneyContainer)(other.gameObject.GetComponent("MoneyContainer").money = 10;

Either way, you need to stop being retarded.

Fuck this goddamned shitty stupid fucking bug straight up the arse.

Why do I always feel like my game is missing that secret ingredient?

FUCK YOU

Thank you, where do I learn all this Unity specific C# shit

It's not unity specific at all, it's common shit.

What makes a jump "floaty?" I can feel when one is but I don't know what makes it that way.

i just wanna get a moving player with tile collision (´・ω・`)

that's /v/ agdg right? I got that too.

This images needs a bit more bling desu

Casting isn't Unity specific.
Didn't you get compiler errors saying the type was wrong?

That's basic C#, has nothing to do with Unity. You were attempting to set values on a generic Object, not a specific type.

string data = "Hey buddy!";
object unknown = data; // valid since string derives from object

unknown.DoStringThings(); // compiler throws a fit because it doesn't know how to do string things to an object datatype

But it doesn't have a public setter.

Program a jump and you'll figure it out.

Theonian here, Haven't posted in a couple of million years.
Has anything interesting happened?

I'm working on stuff for SM64 now, and I've also made a bunch of assets for the rebbit HL3 project, but I doubt that's going anywhere.
Pic is a replacement model for Mario

Church for SM64 map

But I have.
I still don't know what combination of variables decides the difference between Halo and Mario.

I hope your game isn't too similar to anyone elses agdg

>Bluehole, developers of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG), has released a statement saying it is investigating its legal options against Epic Games for its game of similar style, Fortnite Battle Royale.

>"We've had an ongoing relationship with Epic Games throughout PUBG's development as they are the creators of UE4, the engine we licensed for the game," said Bluehole VP and executive producer Chang Han Kim. "After listening to the growing feedback from our community and reviewing the gameplay for ourselves, we are concerned that Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known. This was never discussed with us and we don't feel that it's right."

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-09-22-pubg-devs-call-out-epic-over-fortnite-battle-royale-mode

>But I have.
Show jump code then

>Has anything interesting happened?
I made some really tasty pasta yesterday night.

Check their forum

Someone is getting too big for their britches

I can't because I'm phoneposting

lmao the greedy kikes

Some more modular pieces

Nice

is it another third person shooter survival multiplayer game? stop buying shit ppl

Headcrab for the HL3 project

Unless Epic signed an agreement, they haven't done anything wrong. PUBG isn't even the first stand-alone battle royale.

PlayerUnknown literally created the genre and was involved in development of all of the games that used it. Hope he takes down Epic.

Shitty animation/rigging test

I know this is bait but did he actually have any relationship to The Culling? I haven't heard anything about that, although if he was involved I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to distance himself from it.

In general, it just means it's unresponsive. Could be any of the following.

-staying too long in the air (gravity too low)
-not staying long enough in the air (gravity too high)
-inconsistant / unresponsive jump timings (need to go through a landing animation every time you jump)
-x speed acceleration fuckery (losing or gaining excessive amounts of speed in the air)
-lack of air control (can't adjust height of your jump by releasing the button early, can't adjust your x speed after jumping)

There's more things but I think that drives my point home enough. You can generally tell when it doesn't feel right usually. Follow your gut feeling when it comes to that.

Any tutorials on making fancy bullet patterns?

why are games so expensive

Crowbar

I'll stop spamming now

>I'll sue the guys who made the engine I'm using, what could go wrong
this is like cutting your legs because you walked in dog shit

Trigonometry. Lots of it.

wtf people like started calling this type of games battle royale like a week ago and now i see it everywhere or is it just dunning-kruger??

SakuraGame brings QUALITY videogames to steam for $1, how can others indie devs even compete?

So since my brain is retarded with math and logic I'll probably never be a code monkey but how do I into 3D art faggotry?

I got a vive and gravity sketch. What other programs do I need? I guess one for making textures? How do I rig and animate shit? Blender?

"trigonometry" is not a tutorial.... and why the fuck would you use trig for such a thing

SOH CAH TOA
YOU ZETTA SONS OF DIGITS

That's not what the Dunning-Kruger effect is, like at all.

The term's been around for a while. I think the original mod was called Battle Royale.

baader meinhoff

>counter strike free for all is a genre

The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis in action

how the do you plan on making a bullet slither like a snake without trig you double nigger

Thanks for the laugh.

I would literally just use an animation curve in Unity.

>when you actually get into mapping and is able to put pieces of your art next to eachother to form maps

I haven't written a single line of code yet but this is fucking awesome

You've got some nice models.

The other day When It Hits the Fan released. store.steampowered.com/app/522900/When_It_Hits_the_Fan/

your right. i didn't bother to recall which exactly two german surnames effect is this so ive gone with the one that got to me firts.
the interesting thing is that people still understood me

Trying to figure out how to make 32x32 textures for landscapes. anyone have experience with this? It's fucking hard to make it look half decent

Oh, I thought that had died. Haven't seen it in forever

what the fuck are you on about

So while we're on the subject of PUBG, do you guys think there's still a possibility to milk the formula again ?
I've got a super original idea to make my possible clone stand out I swear

>it's okay for PUBG to clone other games
>now that PUBG is popular it's not okay for anyone else to ever make similar games again
These guys are retarded.

they're not retarded, they're merely cynically milking their game for all its worth just because they can
remember the "saga" word debacle

youll never be bigger than pubg but you might squeak in with a gimmick game and make 500k to a couple million. just like after mimecraft you could succeed with a "voxdlels plus x" game

i seriously doubt you have time to that

>the interesting thing is that people still understood me
Actually, I assumed that you misunderstood Dunning-Krueger and were calling yourself retarded.
I don't know what you intended to say.

oh, you're talking about the shitty recoil patterns gimmick
I thought you were talking about something interesting like a bullet hell

You can do it but not as a 1MA. You need money for production value and to bribe steamers to promote your game during "closed beta."

you'd need to start like right fucking now in order to cash in on the "first wave" of pubg clones before the market is flooded.
probably can't make it in time as 1MA desu.

What about programming all the intricate rules that make the game function? I can imagine implementing all the complicated rules you get in a CCG as reliable code could be difficult.

how about you program a game insted

That faggot is not me, I'm asking about fancy bullet hell patterns, yeah.
I get that I need trigonometry but can't exactly picture a workflow for creating one in my head.

OK how would you code a grand strategy event system? I give up on trying to figure it out.

Not a problem, it's generally super easy. The only hard part is that there's a lot of them. But even so, what would you care? The only hard part in dealing with all that is balancing it, and it's like not card games tend to care about having good balance over rule of cool.

It's possible, but very difficult. Look at Awesomenauts for example. It's a 2D sidescrolling MOBA, but despite there being other hugely popular MOBAs all competing for that market, Awesomenauts still manages to have a small player base.

What does 1MA actually stand for?

>Haven't seen it in forever
>It keeps showing up in Demo Days consistently despite never having in thread progress posts

1 Man's Anus

ideaguy

I just hope he starts suing people who buy it on steam next

That's a nice crowbar
Would be a shame if something happened to it..

>Trademark dispute with Bethesda forces 'Praey for the Gods' name change

pcgamer.com/trademark-dispute-with-bethesda-forces-praey-for-the-gods-name-change/

Have you set up your L L C ? ;) If you are selling your game, then you are in the adult business world sweetie! Better read up on taxes and liability hon ;)

MTG is actually held back by the need to maintain parity with the online version. Sometimes the MTGO programmers tell the designers that an effect can't be done in MTGO, and then they need to redesign it to accommodate the video game.

YOU MAY BE REPLICATING THE EXPERIENCE FOR WHICH MY COMPUTER SOFTWARE IS KNOWN. THIS WAS NEVER DISCUSSED WITH ME AND I DON'T FEEL THAT IT'S RIGHT.

1 Massive Australian

Honestly I'm not sure if it would be THAT hard, there's definitely a big number of assets you have to choke out, but the main mechanics for my idea wouldn't be too complex. It wouldn't be a 1:1 copy either so there could definitely be some possibility for success.
But then again, I barely know anything about networking, and I don't want to drop another project again.

Don't worry, nothing is ever going to happen to it [spoile];_;

There is no effect the card game could have that would be impossible to program, unless it's something like "go across the street and slap your friend's mom" or something that 100% requires a real life situation. In general, your card game shouldn't have any of these anyways. If the programmers are refusing, it's likely because the effect is just a bad idea, not for any technical reason.

What's the largest game you've finished?

grab a graphing calculator and mess around with it until you get something pretty or interesting

There are likely architectural limitations that would take too much work to fix, and that's exactly what needs to be considered. You can't just dive into it without any forethought because you need to be able to add arbitrary new effects at will, potentially forever.

>If the programmers are refusing, it's likely because the effect is just a bad idea, not for any technical reason.
Why would there programmers be telling the designers how to do their jobs? That's what playtesting is for.

keywords: spirograph, parametric equations, hypotrochoid, cyclogon/cycloids, ...

Well, sorry for assuming that, knowing it's a growing game that adds new effects all that time, that they would be smart enough to put a system in place where they WOULDN'T have architectural limitations. My point still stands, there's no technological reason for it. Just shitty programmers.

Fair enough on the playtester thing.