/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

The penalty for no progress is a $200 fine. Repeat offenders may have their license revoked.

> Play Demo Day 16
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16

> Upcoming Mecha Jam
itch.io/jam/op-mechanoid

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/xfSiTwuP
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/jAByvH3V

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

venganza.org/
pcgamer.com/pubg-exec-clarifies-objection-to-fortnite-battle-royale-its-not-about-the-idea-itself-its-about-epic-games/
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eastoakteam.pipiepuzzle_gp&hl=en
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gng.pipelines
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kitstudio.pipe
play.mob.org/game/slumdog_plumber_pipes_puzzle.html
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.D_Code58
youtu.be/6PbMCVHCyi4
youtube.com/watch?v=la6vK6hI7rM
a.uguu.se/X0PxGxKVTs4a_Behaviors.not_a_zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if your game doesn't have agdg, i'm not playing it.

There are people here who actively work on a personal project but never post it

ask me anything

GIVE ME THE GAMEDEV DELEGATES

Proooooogress~!

stealing weapons from police was a bug but now it's a feature

It was unironically pure coincidence that I only bullied girls in this clip, NPCs have a 50/50 chance to spawn as either sex

what kind of games is everyone making in these threads? im new and was wondering how difficult would it be to make a game that plays like lok: blood omen 1 or rexxar's missions in wc3, if i had the skills for it. also is it better to make games aimed for mobile?

Here's the (maybe) final version of objects collision. With objects of different weights on the right.

when did this stop being london sim 2k17 and start being usa sim 2k17

Is this Source? Disgusting.

>> Play Demo Day 16
>itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16
>> Upcoming Mecha Jam
>itch.io/jam/op-mechanoid

>itch.io
What have you been told about this, OP?

I think that's all of Blaz's special passive upgrade items, I'll just need to add a numerical counter to the gun parts on the bottom middle part there seeing as you can pick up multiples to upgrade your arm cannon

>game in which you can mass murder people with baby killing assault guns
Very offensive. Shadowbanned.

my game is diverse and multicultural

I made a shader that makes flat bullets look like ellipsoids. How does it look?

Thread's ruined. I can't believe you would post an image like that.

discord get out

Someone should pull a Guy Maddin and make a video game that melds together dead AGDG projects.

Report it and everything that replies to it and hope the janitors know what's going on.

1. Nobody here is interested in text-game dev
2. Nobody here is interested in furshit

I think you all would rather I keep my progress to myself

What the actual fucking fuck

>what kind of games is everyone making in these threads?
They make games here for a hobby. Sometimes people make stuff that's fun but usually they make it for the sake of making something.
>im new and was wondering how difficult would it be to make a game that plays like lok: blood omen 1 or rexxar's missions in wc3, if i had the skills for it.
If you want to make something for an existing game, that's called modding and that's another thread. Also very fun to do, but not the subject of this thread. If you want to make a game from scratch, but you want to take gameplay elements from them, than that's totally doable. Just don't make it too big. Start somewhat small.
>also is it better to make games aimed for mobile?
No. You give yourself limitations if you aim for mobile. I'm not saying you shouldn't, but it's not easier for newbies.

I can't understand why someone would post this. Can someone explain it to me? Why would someone make this and then think it's okay to post?

That's completely fine really, I'm also working on a text game which I'm never showing since it's a tad bit boring and just a personal project I'll never monetize. However don't post your game when it's done and go all "long time lurker here subscribe, upvote and buy my game plz :^)"

Looks good, but why did it require a shader? Were the projection changing them too much as they moved away from the player?

>Monster Girl Island
>dead

Uuuuhh

I haven't textdev in a long time. Is there a textengine out there? Not that's it's hard to program text, but no need to reinvent the wheel, right?

It will appear more like a circle when viewed straight on and more like an ellipse when viewed from above. The vertices are just a unit quad though. The shader is to handle how much it looks like an ellipse.

Wouldn't know, I'm just using LOVE

>However don't post your game when it's done and go all "long time lurker here subscribe, upvote and buy my game plz :^)"
Shilling here in /agdg/ is a silly idea anyway, I've had a lot of interest elsewhere and a pretty good vector for reaching my audience. Though I won't pretend I haven't gotten a decent amount of advice and useful tidbits here over the years.

Can now steal cars from civvies by killing them first

enough progress posting for now

>LÖVE
I'm not a fan of lua. I'll guess I'll make my own. Thanks for your input and keep up with the progress.

Ah, I see
As long as you have a good string manipulation library at your fingertips you can do anything. Lua's is middling, but I'm very comfortable with the language, so I make do. Good luck user-sama

>I'll I'll
I guess I'll make some coffee as well.

how many hours do you spend deving a day? fucking lazy bastards

0 hours per day for the past 8 months or so
but I'm gonna start again soon...

rename file to supreme_gentleman_simulator.webm

>tfw try and fix the car camera and somehow end up making it even worse

I think I know what's wrong though.

venganza.org/
>church of the flying spaghetti monster

10-12 hrs a day every day

Where is the game?

>Nobody here is interested in text-game dev
Your game looks kind of cool, actually.

goblin-user, i'm not happy with how this turned out so far, i'll go back tomorrow and touch it up

would Jofer get arrested for saying the name of my game in AGDG deathmatch if I named it "The Holocaust Didn't Happen"

post full behavior tree code in text format pls (in a paste bin or something).
did you ever encounter performance problem? your game has a lot of npcs with pathfinding and stuff but it doesn't seem to lag, are you updating them in batches?

He would probably call it HDH.

the flying spaghetti monster ate it i swear

Because AGDG would rage at my made-for-mobile-and-facebook pipe puzzle game with microtransactions.

>1920x1080
nice, also the emergent gun-grabbing
but sadly this will be "extremist content" some day

>what kind of games is everyone making in these threads?
A 3d one with top down perspective, im not telling you my unique game idea

Why didn't you just apply a rigidbody in Unity instead of wasting time reinventing the wheel?

Knowing him, he probably PIRATED it.

ye, why post if you get shit on every time you do

pcgamer.com/pubg-exec-clarifies-objection-to-fortnite-battle-royale-its-not-about-the-idea-itself-its-about-epic-games/

Watch out guys, Epic is stealing projects.

At least if you get shit on you have some constructive criticism. Imagine posting your game but nobody responds to it.

Why is the game board so small and shitty looking?

>clones are illegal now
PUBG is going to get their legal shit kicked in. Their game holds zero original qualities anyways.

Hello, user. I like that picture you posted.
That's a thing I've been thinking about for immobile tiles. But since they still only take up one tile individually, I don't have to have big sprites for them, but just arrange the small ones so it looks like there's one big one. I use Tiled so that should be the way easier route.
And for aggregations of blocks that are movable, a big-sprite approach is impractical to the point of impossibility. Possibly with miniscule drawback when I gotta redraw only a part of it in rendering.
What I like is that the player's head there sprite overlaps a bit upwards. I have checked PPP (my inspiration and also pic related) and the sprites also overlap a bit, even the cube ones. That's perfect, but I'm afraid I'd have to dig into the "sealed ancient evil" rendering code so it looked like that and I've got many other things to do right now like particles.
You definitely convinced me though so I just might. With luck it could just be shitfting some values around.

They definitely are. It's been two months since mine died. He was stupid as all hell but definitely nice. He had those floppy ears, that was his thing. I put those on Cmulko.
I am definitely getting a dog in the future, but maybe also a nice cat to go with it.

A tempting offer.

Why can't /agdg/ create anything else than pure shit looking shit games??

That's the sweet spot of "ehh it's ok, but it could be better, but don't know how." It means progress.

Because mobile phone screens can be 300px wide and the user has to be able to click the thing they want to click.
>shitty looking
You mean the 2009 every-button-is-glossy MacOS thing? That's so the End User knows you can tap things.

why can't (you) create anything at all?

I have already launched my game on steam

>we aren't claiming ownership over battle royales
>but epic stole our game because it's a battle royale
...what?
they have no ground to stand on if that's their argument. bluehole is being retarded.

Check the recap, there are a bunch of solid games there

Don't respond to him you fucking idiots. That's like Veeky Forums 101.

Mobileapp fag here. Can you give me specifics on which parts look shitty so I know if it's the part that I made shitty on purpose or not?

i wanted to see if he would reply with something funny, but he didn't

Okay that's a lot better I think.

>did you ever encounter performance problem? your game has a lot of npcs with pathfinding and stuff but it doesn't seem to lag, are you updating them in batches?

Ooooh boy.

The pathfinding lags like a motherfucker, especially in debug builds.

The behaviour tree performance (outside of pathing) is almost negligible.

It's worth noting that I multithreaded my pathfinding. It calculates it concurrently in separate threads. So if an NPC is waiting for the path calculation to finish, it'll just stand there until it's done.

>post full behavior tree code in text format pls (in a paste bin or something).

There's 57 files in my NPC/Behaviors/ subfolder, which doesn't include some clients of the behavior tree (ie behavior tree construction for some of the NPCs).

Do you want a zip with it all? I'm not pastebinning 57 files. (it's 3413 lines total, excluding a few hundred for creating the trees for specific NPCs)

If I'm zipping it I could just dump the whole C++ portion of the code (623 files, 66,668 lines) if you want that too.

I can't find anything that looks good, PLEASE FIX THE COLOR SCHEME AT LEAST, it's so uncomfy

So let me get this straight, they're suggesting that they deserve licensing fees from epic because that PUBG guy lifted the already existing BR idea from other games and made bluehole pay for his ideaguying?

Literal retards. It'd be nice if fortnight BTFO of their shitty knockoff game, but I'm guessing they have too much momentum at this point.

This was meant to be in response to pic related the btree files

I didn't ask what looks good. There are 4 things at most on the screen. Can you please describe how they look shitty so I know if it's intentional or not?

>tell you why it looks like shit
>reeee it doesn't look like shit

There are thousands of mobile pipe games out there with much larger boards than yours though.

Try image searching "Pipe Puzzle android" some time.

>much larger

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eastoakteam.pipiepuzzle_gp&hl=en
First result is one square larger.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gng.pipelines
Second one is one square larger.

I'll up the size by one square but the human thumb covers about 2cm of screenspace, meaning any larger will be literally unplayable.

How do I make my game last longer? The gameplay is basically that the player runs around to a destination and shoots his way out

>thumb
what the heck
who is going to be using their thumb?

a zip would be great, 623 files would be overkill to go through, i want to study your behavior tree and npc behavior so the 57 files would be appreciated.
by the way, i noticed you're already using std::function, would there be a difference in making tree nodes functions instead of classes?
does your tree support adding nodes dynamically?

28 squares
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kitstudio.pipe

~64 squares
play.mob.org/game/slumdog_plumber_pipes_puzzle.html

72 squares
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.D_Code58

etc.

level design or extra mechanics

Have you ever gone outside in your life? Everyone.
Scratch what I said earlier. Board is staying 4x4.

Christ almighty you're a cunt

>28
floor(sqrt(28)) = 5

>indian poop simulator
>all three are ~10,000 installs

I'm going to go with what the 5,000,000 install games do, thanks.

have you ever actually seen someone play a game on their phone?

Fucking autist

Yes. They use their thumb.
youtu.be/6PbMCVHCyi4

Samefag.

People don't play mobile games like that. That's "scrolling down the news" position.

I don't know who the first person was to watch the movie Battle Royale and put it's gimmick into a game, but that doesn't matter, because the fucking idea came from a movie based on a manga so fuck anyone who thinks they own that shit.

I can't make a game based on the TV show Survivor and claim I invented anything.

>multiple people couldn't possibly think I'm retarded, it must all be ONE person! There's no way I'm actually retarded!
You got schizophrenia or something?

You don't play games like that, maybe, but my target demographic does. Go watch some videos on YouTube of people playing candy crush and you'll quickly see that they use their thumbs.

They use their animals.
youtube.com/watch?v=la6vK6hI7rM

>multiple people rapidly respond
Either I triggered 3 people by saying people play phone games with their thumbs, which I doubt, or I triggered one person and he responded three times.

>does your tree support adding nodes dynamically?

Yeah, although I don't do that.

>by the way, i noticed you're already using std::function, would there be a difference in making tree nodes functions instead of classes?

Well, some nodes need to store state. If your node is stateless, then yes, it's basically just a function that returns RUNNING/SUCCESS/FAIL. (Yes, I know lambda variable capture and functors can give your function some state, but then it's basically just a class at that point. Under the hood lambdas are just implemented as compiler-generated functors, which is just a class with an overloaded operator() to make it act like a function).

Here you go for the code:

a.uguu.se/X0PxGxKVTs4a_Behaviors.not_a_zip

rename it to .zip to extract the code.

I hope this helps.

Also I don't ever claim that this is the best way to do any of it. It's just how I've done it. If you think you've got any improvements please tell me.

oh fuck my game is on there

>People's thumbs are too large to play on a larger grid.
>People play candy crush with their thumbs.
>Candy crush has a 81 square grid.

I want to believe that you're a troll, but the number of retarded mobile devs I've seen over the years doesn't give me much hope.

Note: the function thing only refers to terminal (leaf) nodes. Since you'd need storage in order to store the references to the children.

>I triggered 3 people by saying people play phone games with their thumbs
Way to completely fucking miss the point. My post was in reference to the douchey, passive aggressive way you responded to criticism, not your claim.

cant decide weither to stick with game maker or learn unreal

Candy crush has a team of designers who probably have made a whole shitload of predictive algorithms to fix misclicks. I don't, so I'm going to go with the design guidelines that Apple put out, which is that 43px, even without any neighbors, is too small a target.

So you don't think anything I said was wrong, but you think I'm too much of a meanie on the internet? kek