/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Military edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/wnhcpWhD
pastebin.com/vTyinRtY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dorf!

magic when?

what is the best type of stone /dfg/?

The stone you have the most of for your stupid projects

zombienite

water

>water
>not lava

Spotted the Elf

>refers to magma by the name of its above ground form ("lava")
>above ground
>has the guts to call anyone else an elf

Sometime around 2021 I'm betting.

>haha what a funny joke, that's so far away
>mfw realizing it's 2017

Not only that but we're 3/4 of the way through 2017 already

(Toady One) Mostly been playing around with post-world-generation secret agents lately, since most of the testing I'd done up to this point had been on their world generation histories. And there were lots of tells... still are many, but it is better. Elves showing up as peddlars, but the game giving them away as "Warrior" in their travel logs, their printed color being according to their soldier type instead of their cover, and that sort of thing. The old vampire secret identity code wasn't helping since vampires didn't try to hide these types of professions. But I've confirmed that they try to collect the correct type of rumors from your dwarves and can successfully bring them out of your fortress and back home, as well as being able to successfully target the other sites they visit throughout the world once world generation is over. Hopefully that's the last we'll hear about agents as we check these last things off.

Migrants have arrived!
Legendary cheesemaker here, when can I start?

Fuck magic we already have that in mods, economy when?

capitalism when? tired of this commie utopia fantasy simulator

hey /dfg/ after years of installing and giving up i finally somehow understand what the hell i am looking at and how stairs work, and embarked and a gila monster wandered into my site so i had this mighty swordsman lob his head off. i can't wait to see how he stupidly dies. hats off to ya. here is the dwarf.

Just
Forty
Days
More

here is his kill, is there anything i can do with the head? like mount the skull or make it into a helment? although i like this guy equipped like a roman hastati that's why he has a bronze helm, copper sword and shield. i am just starting i will craft him good stuff now.

of course i forgot pic.

Bring them to a butcher shop and you'll have bones left over, plus all the meat. You can then craft the skull into a totem.

Have fun fucking up over and over again, genuinely.

If you feel stuck not knowing how to do something cool, use the wiki.

ty

here are the dets on edem he is quite glorious i feel lucky to have him. i did custom embark and gave him skilled swordsman and weaponsmith. he was designated leader, of course.

dude what it came out like two days ago

Already had it in old versions, but he removed it because 90% of a dwarf's day was taken up with hauling coins.

you can make bone and shell armor but you can't make a helmet out of a skull sadly

oh well maybe in an update. ever seen the skull helmet in the movie willow? like this!

I dunno, I like Toady's vision for how magic should work a hell of a lot. There's some really creepy black magic stuff like gaining the ability to breathe under water for the price of a pound of your own flesh, etc.

I think in (relatively) fast-paced video game form, the economy update has the potential to slow the game to a standstill with micromanagement. Though I guess it could be optional...

From what I have heard and read the economy was super janky while it was still implemented but I've never played those versions. What was good about it?

it has the potential to let you make a real "caste" system in your fort. dwarfs get paid by working and they had to buy food, drink, their room, ect..

dwarfs with legendary skills had free rent so you could give them penthouses and stuff, while the peasants/ non useful dwarfs would only be able to afford holes in the wall and eat raw food because the lavish stuff was too expensive because of not having more full time jobs to get more money.

when it's brought back it needs to be more well done because dwarfs would manage their money like shit and it would take up a lot of their time

>still are many, but it is better.
...is that grammatically correct?

yeah who cares about procedurally generated religions, magic, and their effect on the world, i want dwarves to be able to pay for their rooms

More from this drawfag?

Who's got the link to that neat tileset where the characters have sprites, but it still retains the ascii look?

You mean CLA?

It was mostly with how bad hauling was back then too, and stacks of items were handled poorly.

CLA. It's color palette is really nice too but the main thing I don't like about it is the shitty 7, X and √ for stairs.

Stacks of items are still handled poorly. Until creatures can recombine like items on demand or dwarves invent central banking and debit cards (which is actually not that crazy a thought) any implementation of the economy will still have that problem.

Forgot to greentext it so we'd notice the big block as a toadybump.

Kinda? A little sloppy writing but they're usually stream of thought posts anyways.

There were also lots of tells... many remain, but it's not as bad now.

Gauntlet weaponry when?

I would settle for gauntlet-clad fists having a damage potential matching their hardness and weight. Being punched by any metal gauntlet should still really hurt.

We'll soon need some DF versions of WW2 propaganda posters.

Is there a way to get these asshole guests to fuck off out of my fortress beyond the application of lava? I don't have any public meeting locations, they snuck in when I briefly set it to any for ten seconds. Jerks are using up all the floor space.

>succubus dancer
oh my

Yeah, the demons keep sending envoys. I keep murdering them but they keep coming. I dunno.

I RECENTLY LASHED A KEA IN HALF!!

t. time traveler

dwarves

>Toady doesn't shitpos-
Woah!

It's not shitposting if you're the admin :^)

I only played dwarf fortress, what are his other games like?

Shit. Just like Dwarf Fortress.

How many years do you guys usually let world gen run for?

official power ranking:

God tier:
>DF

Top Tier:
>LCS
>WWI Medic

Good tier:
>Star Zoo
>I'm Voting for myself
>Kobold Quest
>Corin's Mystery Massacre
>Wog to Freedom
>Genealogy Poker
>Primordial Souper Star

Campy shit/kusoge tier:
>No More Stumpywumples
>Fuck You
>Brown 2: Ready on the Firing Line

Unironical pure shit tier:
>Environmental Extemist
>Blood Cave of Satan
>Cross Stompers

t. played all of them. some of them aren't on the list, but the most important ones are.

Oh, I forgot:
>Loser Ball
goes among the top tier games.

it's just another glorified "adventure variant" of some board game (Go in this case), but the voice acting and the nice art puts it in another league.

>LCS
SJW: The Movie: The Game. The Republican candidate won the presidential election, and you need to build a political terrorist organization and raid Conservative Establishments to swing public opinion back to the side of GOOD.

>WWI Medic
You are a medic in the trenches of World War 1. Try to treat injuries while dodging machine gun fire and mustard gas.

>Corin's Mystery Massacre
I have no idea. It's a text game that doesn't tell you what anything is, or what you're supposed to do. I think the sensation of what-the-fuck is an intended feature. I've played it for maybe a few hours, and made some progress, and the best I can tell is that you're supposed to build some kind of base by moving base blocks around, to get better abilities to kill enemies.

Haven't played the others long enough to say anything about them.

I think I just noticed something disturbing in the intro movie.

As you may know, it's common knowledge that the intro movie shows a typical fort from the 2d era. It shows typical 2d features like the underground river and a deep chasm. Of course, this would imply that the camera is entering from the west side, and then moves eastward, just like the forts progressed in the 2d version.

However, this isn't the case. I've looked through the intro movie frame by frame, and I've realised that reality is more complex than that.

Lets start with the beginning of the movie. Here, we can assume that the camera is pointing eastwards.

The camera enters the fort, and we see a typical main corridor. The camera then makes a 90 degree turn to the left and enters a side room (the smithy). When we see the smith, the camera is pointing to the north.

keep going user, I got a feeling this'll be good

We continue nortwards for a while. We pass several rooms and corridors, and we cross the underground river. Since we're moving northwards, it must be assumed that the river has a west-east orientation, as opposed to the north-south orientation it has in the actual game.

Lastly, we enter the room with the sparring dwarves. When we exit through the back of this room, we see this. A natural tunnel that turns to the left. The left turn seems to be less than 45 degrees at first, but as we keep moving, we see that it continues to turn. In the end, we turn at least 90 degrees as we move through the tunnel. This leaves us pointing westwards.

When we exit the natural tunnel, we see a chasm with a bridge going over it. When we reach the other side of the chasm, we see a corridor with seemingly smooth walls. It appears to turn slightly to the left at first, before making an even more slight turn back to the right. Then it goes straight for a while, until we reach the adamantine vein. When we're inside the vein, we first make a slight turn to the left, followed by a slight turn to the right. Then, we find ourselves standing right behind the iconic ill-fated miner.

It's hard to tell exactly how we have turned when we moved in the last tunnels, but the turns seem to be marginal. It can probably still be assumed that we have been walking westwards, and that we have indeed approached the adamantine vein from the east.

>the fort "entrance" was actually facing Hell
>No, Urist. You are the demons.

To make more sense of the fortress, I will attempt to draw a map taking these movements in mind.

However, at this point, it already appears that the camera ends up further to the west than it was when we started. This means that that the face of the mountain isn't as simple as in the 2d versions of the game. It's not just an endless north-south wall, but it actually extends farther to the west north of the starting position.

Interesting. Do continue, user.

And here we go.

This map is just a very basic representation of the travelled path. It could have been done much more accurately. For example, if we assumed that the camera holds a constant pace, we could use the recognisable features to calculate the travelled distance in all the corridors and passages. I might make another version in the future, but now I have to study for a uni exam I have this thursday.

Well shit, indiananon jones delivers.

bump

Is there any fix for dwarves too wounded to feed and drink, yet won't go to the hospital, or are they doomed to a slow death?

Other dorfs should bring them food. I don't think they'll ever reach a point where they literally cannot eat.

Right. I must be doing something wrong here. I have a hospital set up, but this dwarf is just sat there in the stockpiles constantly knocking over barrels of booze, trying to drink some.

Bump.

There's a bug where if mugs are available then dwarves will only use mugs to drink booze. If a dwarf has missing / injured hands and can't grasp a mug then they'll die of thirst. Forbid all your mugs and the injured dwarf will drink straight from the barrel.

Right, thank you.

Okay, here's a 100% to scale version. All angles were measured, and it was assumed that all movement held an even pace. The red line shows the camera movement through the fort.

Autism

you've cracked the case. i don't know who or what to believe any more

maybe, I'm in no way an expert on cartography or geography, but I have a very strong obsession with maps and spatial relations. when I get teased by something like the DF OP, I just get triggered (not in the meme sense).

bumb

I TURNED MYSELF INTO A TOAD ZACH

this shit is why i come here thanks user

Maybe Toady messed up the animation and by now its too late to fix it. If the 3-4 frames right at the door were flipped, the tunnel would proceed in the proper manner, arriving correctly at the chasm and hell.

The river is messed up tho. Maybe thats Toads way of telling, yes, its all messed up on purpose.

Didn't the older 2d versions 'fold' fortresses with random 90 degree rotations to change their layouts for exploring in adventure mode? I can't remember if that was in a released version but it was mentioned in DF Talk.

The river makes more sense here than it does in the actual game.

The only "underground rivers" that exist irl are so called "karst springs". Just like ordinary springs, thse springs get their water from drainage basins above ground, often on higher altitudes. Just like ordinary streams, these underground streams seek the quickest possible way to get to lower ground. In other words, it makes more sense for the underground river to start in the middle of the mountain, and then go directly towards the periphery, maybe to exit through a cave entrance.

bump

don't do this!

You wouldn't be able to see it, but chances are that the tunnel is sloped. After all, this is a stylised thing, not an actual representation of the game.

r8

>humans old age death is 10k to 20k
>all metals/ores available to them

>[SCHOLAR:ALL]
[ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING]
[ACTIVE_SEASON:SUMMER]
[ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN]

>[CURRENCY:COPPER:1]
>[CURRENCY:SILVER:10]
>[CURRENCY:GOLD:100]

>[NO_DRINK] [NO_EAT]

raws

creature standard pastebin.com/wnhcpWhD

entity default pastebin.com/vTyinRtY

actually, you DO see a steep upward slope right before the chasm. it lasts for three frames.

What's the image?

Interesting, I think I'm going to start switching my intro movie back on.

>What's the image?

Legends mode standard+biome vanilla export

if you want to explore the animated movies, I recommend that you download the movie editor from the map archive. it allows you to explore DF movies frame by frame, and export frames in PNG format with no loss of quality. the program is meant for player movies, but the intro movie uses the same file format.

Okay but why though

Everyone is great at their jobs and have all the time in the world to master them

I have a library that has been around for 5k years and the books are quite something

You have PTSD around teasing? Otherwise it's the meme sense my dude.

Interesting.

Post em

Bugs...