>19th century: the world spirit on horseback
>20th century: the ultimate self-made man
>21st century: HURR DURR HE SHORT LMAO
what a time to be alive

>born into nobility
>self-made

>born into nobility
his parents had to apply for it, he wasn't a noble when he was born

Their nobility title was so shit they were more impoverished bourgeois than anything

The "short lol" meme is not from the 21st century, it's from the 18th century and has been continuous since then.

maybe if you're a filthy anglo

on the continent he was more of a hannibal

Fucking British press man

When he was alive, on the continent he was more of a rabble-rousing, peace disturbing generalissimo turned tyrannical monarch with no legitimacy, running around Europe installing his relatives and friends on thrones.

Only when the Napoleonic wars was over was he considered a hannibal-like figure.

That's literally not true, early on he was loved and praised by likes of Beethoven, then those started to hate him when he crowned himself an Emperor.

Amongst generals, he was literally known to be best general. Wellington when asked who was the greatest general, said now and forever Napoleon and literally had a statue of him in his house.

>Wellington when asked who was the greatest general, said now and forever Napoleon
if you can't figure out why wellington would say that then you're autistic

He was worshipping Napoleon before waterloo too. It's a ridiculous length to go and have a statue of the guy in your own house for just to legitimise your victory no?

Bullshit
The viewpoint you've described is the one of european high nobles who felt threatened by him (mostly because he represented the revolution and the breaking of the statut quo, he very rarely deposed monarchs from places he conquered).
Meanwhile, the people saw him as a godlike figure in France and an impressive individual outside of it
Beethoven, Hegel and many european artists of the time admired him

everyone in the 19th century had a bust of napoleon

>He was worshipping Napoleon before waterloo too.
he said one flattering thing and later qualified it

also what he said was more about the effect he had on the morale of his troops than his skill; wellington disparaged how he fought his campaigns as well

You realize Napoleon was basically regarded like Hitler is today before Hitler was born, right?

t. rosbif

>he is moving his guns around as if they are a pair of pistols

Why are you so triggered Nigel? Literally everyone in his time acknowledged him more than just "rabble-rousing, peace disturbing generalissimo", sure he was seen as that too but he was seen as a skilled one. In fact even in England, until WW2, he was seen as a symbol of giving into dark side of one's skills.

No one doubted his abilities, stop being so autistic and insecure about this.

he had his equal share of admirers and detractors

let us not forget that hitler was admired outside his own country before WWII

>You realize Napoleon was basically regarded like Hitler is today before Hitler was born, right?
i realise that i probably know more about napoleon than you do

this doesn't contradict anything i said, admiring someone's skills doesn't mean you worship them especially if you disparage them in other areas

wellington didn't "worship" napoleon, that's what you said and what i responded to

t. Lindy Beige

Why do people repeat this retarded meme? The only people who didn't like Napoleon in the 19th century were some bongs and maybe some Germans, but even a lot of them respected him. When news of Napoleon's poor conditions on St. Helena reached Britain, there was a big drive in petitions, the press, and parliament to get him better conditions. Lord Byron considered him the epitome of the Romantic hero. At the very least, everyone respected him for his competence. In some countries, like Poland and Italy, he was basically worshiped. This isn't at all like how Hitler is viewed today, who is almost universally seen (besides by fringe /pol/ edgelords) as the personification of pure evil with no redeeming qualities.

I consider having someone's full sized statue (not a bust, statue) to be worshipping.

> It was sold to the British government in 1816 for 66,000 francs (then under £3,000), which the Louvre spent on re-installing its Salle des Antiques. Works by Canova were already being collected by the Duke, and the Prince Regent presented it to him later that year.
someone else gave it to him and he only accepted it because of the artist

it seems bitchy honestly especially when napoleon didn't like it
>It was completed in 1806 and transported to the Musée Napoléon, but when Napoleon saw it there in April 1811 he refused to accept it, calling it "too athletic" and banning the public from seeing it.

>The viewpoint you've described is the one of european high nobles who felt threatened by him
Since this was the 18th Century, with real monarchies, a lot of those dynasties represented the unifying forces of the countries they ruled. Ergo the Revolution threatened the very stability of those countries. And a lot of people were fucking angry at that, not just the monarchs. Early in the Napoleonic Wars, only extreme liberals saw Napleon as some whig hero out to make everyone democratic. And boy they were in for a rude disappointment.
>Meanwhile, the people saw him as a godlike figure in France and an impressive individual outside of it
The Germans- many of whom have lived in very metropolitan societies like city states- were annoyed that they were being taught lessons in liberalism by the least qualified: the erstwhile feudal fucking French.

Also funny you pointed out Beethoven. Man dropped being a Napoleon fanboy when he crowned himself emperor. So did a lot of the extreme liberals when Napoleon did it.

Sure, the military leaders of the time admired him for his brilliance, but we're talking whole fucking societies here.

>Ergo the Revolution threatened the very stability of those countries. And a lot of people were fucking angry at that, not just the monarchs.
so european high nobles

the thing that actually pissed off most of europe was the constant wars, the drafts and the money levied from them

And guess what is causing that? The Revolutionary French, seen as disturbers of peace.

>And guess what is causing that?
napoleon's policy decisions and anglo meddling on the continent

This is due to the post war propaganda machine though. Brits were magnanimous enough to let people freely admire Nappy. It is illegal in many countries to admire Hitler. Hitler is the more impressive of the two, he really is self made and he lead a devastated nation to war with three superpowers at once (+fucked France as a footnote.)

They're both self made. But Napoleon was a great leader, and Hitler was just a demagogue.

More like
>19th century: universally despised outside France, almost universally loathed inside France for leaving the country in ruins
>20th century: every general during the world wars tries to emulate him, including literally Hitler
>21st century: everyone worships his mutilated dick; despite the fact that he abolished the republic, suspended civil liberties, established no government structure to sustain the country after he died (not that he cared about France's long-term well-being), and got his ass kicked in Egypt, Spain, and Russia.
But hey, at least he said he was against torture...

>parents didn't leave you out in the wilderness as soon as you were out of the vagoo
>self-made

But he wasn't actually so short, was he?

>despite the fact that he abolished the republic
True, but the Republic was shit and about to be betrayed by the Directory to restore monarchy when he staged his coup

>suspended civil liberties
Haha, are you fucking serious?
In France he kept the liberties spawned by the revolution intact, and in conquered places he gave them liberties they could never have dreamed of under their shitty feudal monarchs

>established no government structure to sustain the country after he died
No shit, he got deposed
Faggot

>selfmade
>implying you could become a selfmade general in the french army
>implying you could become a general in the french army if you didn't have family connections even until after the 2nd world war

He was 5'6" or 5"7
Short by modern standards.
Average to a bit taller than average by their standards.

He was average height. The short thing was 100% roastbeef propaganda based on deliberately misunderstanding his nickname of "the little corporal" (so called because he would mix with the common troops).

But he came from a family of basic bitch Genoese nobles. The extent of their connections was allowing Napoleon to attend French military academy, but that seems to be it.

Also, there were certain chaotic events and upheavals preceding his commandership that in many ways made "connections" useless or even a liability.

Did he grow up scavenging the forests for edible roots? No. That doesn't mean that his ambitions and skills didn't play a significant role in his progress from relative nobody to Emperor.

Dude started his military career as a captain (a rank he obtained due to having studied for years at the military academy) and got promoted to general after having captured a British fort, taking part in the assault himself and receiving a bayonet wound in the leg

Yeah I already thought so. But I wonder why. I know for a fact he brought enlightnment to my country so I'm pretty greatfull

>daily butthurt French thread

2bh the Napoleonic wars happened a long time ago and people are not much affected by it as for example, the World Wars, which is why people probably have a more elaborated opinion on Hitler while Nappy is almost a meme.

>I dont like what he is saying so I'll call him butthurt hehe

Go back to /int/ or kys

short meme came in the 19th century

dumb frogposter

>literally had a statue of him in his house.

Which he used as a coat hanger.

Wellington was a cunt.

Yeah except
>Hitler, enemy of the world, hated by all the world
and
>Napoleon, enemy of the world, respected by all the world

You are literally wrong on every single point you made my man

The fuck are you talking about. It was the Revolution, all the military leaders were young men with no name promoted on merit alone.

the french elite were as tall as we are today, many contemporary french accounts called napoleon short
wtf i hate wellington now

>Napoleon
>Hitler

Last time I checked, Napoleon didn't advocate for genocide or claiming the world for the "aryan master race"

The thing is that in the end Hitler was more of a politician than a warrior
Napoleon wouldn't be as respected as he is if he had just seated in a palace while his men were dying in foreign lands instead of leading them on the battlefield