MAP THREAD

Post your favorite Veeky Forums-related maps

What is it with you Anglos and always using Reich instead of empire when talking about German empires?

Gee I wonder why we use the German word for empire when talking about German empires

What is it with you Anglos and always using Equestrian instead of Knight when talking about Roman cavalry-based citizens.

But that's stupid. You don't use the native words for any other empire that there ever was. It's always the French empire, Mongol empire, Inca empire.

One of the most spastic comments I've ever read.

>But that's stupid. You don't use the native words for any other empire that there ever was. It's always the French empire, Mongol empire, Inca empire.

What a fucking strawman.

I DO use the native word, what fucking historian doesn't?

i see his point - in most (all?) other cases, it's [nation] [english word for polity], but in case of the german reich, it's, well, it's [nation] [german word]

like he said, it's french republic, not french republique, it's united provinces of holland not united veredingingewhatever, it's kingdom of bohemia, not kralvostvi bohemia...

Again, strawmen, the fact you don't use French Republique just shows how retarded you are and you shouldn't apply your retardation to other people.

Thanks m8

Imagine what could have been...

>Thinks Reich and Empire mean the same thing

Because Reich doesn't necessarily mean Empire, while all other examples you have used have equivalent in English language.

More maps, less autism.

When you get down to it, Maps are pretty fucking autistic themselves.

why not 'realm' then?

Again, not the same meaning, with connotations in realm not present in Reich.

Why "Tsar" instead of "Emperor" when discussing Russia? Same reason.

And here is an autistic map to round things off.

How can Finno-Ugric even compete?

Surprised this wasn't the OP, this map is in all map threads

>When you get down to it, Maps are pretty fucking autistic themselves.
>That moment when you expected to post exactly that, but you were too lazy to rephrase that
At least let's stick to the proper kind of autism.

So sad :''''''(((((((

Still not enough.

>Sudetenland
>mutilation
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

tsar didn't occur to me, that's a good example

still rather weird how you have virtually all titles that are e..g not, say, 'emperor' translated into english as 'emperor' but then blam you have 'tsar' (or 'reich' for countries)

English is not the only such case, to be honest.

I think it's all about certain languages. Bulgarian Empire also had a Tzar, a name that Muscovite rulers also adopted later.
Look at it this way: those that claimed legitimacy of Rome had Emperors (HRE and ERE), while Slavic Tzars claimed to be their equals of ERE/successors after the fall of ERE.

>le romanians aren't just indoctrinated wallachians(slavs) meme map

10/10

Couldn't quite make it out so I found a larger one.

RETURN THE CLAY

There were no Vlachs in Transylvania, and Vlachs are no Slavs.

But I am sure you have some proofs that they are Slavs, if you think so.

Ausfag here. I use HRE, German Empire, Austrian (Habsburg) Empire, Nazi Germany.
People using Reich (outside of Third Reich), but use English words for other national entities tend to just be germanaboos

That or they are actually German

Napoleon, Make Europe French Again !

would have been Aztecs and the purepecha fighting for dominance of western and central mexico

the maya may have united again at some point and fought the Aztecs for dominance of southern mexico

and everyone completely ignoring everything north of the Chihuahuan Desert

When's the next stage?

nice

>cumanorum campus
So it's like 900-1200?

Cumans in Hungary means likely after Mongol invasion.

Who /PooGreek/ here?

>tfw there will never be a united Ireland*

*under British rule

JUST

In German they do. Please enlighten me. What's the difference between Reich and empire in the English language?

What a mystery

Ayo hol up
>Reich is a German word literally meaning "realm". The terms Kaiserreich (literally "realm of an emperor") and Königreich (literally "realm of a king") are used in German to refer to empires and kingdoms respectively.

On it's own, "realm" I suppose.

It's so fucking frustrating that we still don't know who they were after almost two centuries

Mediterranean in 800-750 bc

But there never was an all-German Königreich. There were only the Holy Roman Empire (German: Heilig-Römisches Reich Deutscher Nation), the German Empire (Deutsches Reich) and the German Republics. So the distinction and the usage of the term are redundant.

>There were no Vlachs in Transylvania

That's why immediately after the conquest of Ardeal, Hungary gave it autonomy and special privileges.

I'm not a fan of romanian nationalism, but hungarian revisionism is even more annoying.

>Togo and Cameroon
>French colonies
wut?

Good map

>Ligians
>Vandals

>germanic

>two centuries

I don't recall anything bout Transylvanians being Romanians. And Avars were there to fuck up populations before the Hungarians came. Which still happened after Bulgarians and Franks destroyed Avar Khaganate.

The romanian ethnogenesis itself happened in Transylvania FYI

Shit map

Somewhat related, map of Kievan Rus during the XX-XI centuries. Also:
>Boлoхи/Volochs in medieval Transylvania
Hm

Also, spread of West Slavs in the IX-Xth centuries

Spread of Slavs from the original homeland (dark green) to the other areas (light green).
Also the location of non-Slavic peoples, Saxons, Avars, Vlachs, Finnic and Baltic tribes.

Weird, I always thought Serbs and Croats got to the Balkans through the western Pannonia rather than through modern Romania

Actually, that makes more sense given the location of White Croatia in modern Poland, Pannonia is a shorter route. Perhaps there are more theories regarding this.

Not to mention white Serbia aka Lusatia which is even further to the west.

>RIP memeland
Too Soon

Germany was a mistake

What is it that they teach you in schools that you think romanians in Transylvania is something out of place?

long live the frog king

A world without frogs

What does the light blue signify? It's not on the legend. This is a bad map.

[spoiler]i get most of my information from this era from crusader kings 2 accuracy mods[/spoiler]

That was meant for the comment claiming Vlachs weren't in Transylvania,and I posted three maps from Slavic countries that show them there. So the point was at the very least the subject has many interpretations in different countries.

>Veeky Forums-related maps

Wasn't Elam one of those Biblical kingdoms that historians can't agree on the identity or existence of?

Reich specifically refers to realms established by Otto I, Bismarck, and Hitler.
It comes from Anglo exceptionalism. Other modern states weren't "empires," they simply had colonial possession or occupied territory.

>amber up there alone on the baltic shore

I think it's intended to trigger autism.

I think he means, two centuries after deciding that the Sea Peoples were a thing.

>Reich specifically refers to realms established by Otto I, Bismarck, and Hitler.
But why would you need a specific term for just that?
>Other modern states weren't "empires," they simply had colonial possession or occupied territory.
You mean the British Empire, the Dutch Empire, the Spanish Empire, the French Colonial Empire, the Portuguese Empire or the Italian Empire? Those are all modern states (or at least they were for the latter portion of their history) AND empires which existed well into the 20th century. Why isn't any one of those called rijk, império, or whatever?

Lugians are west baltic
vandals east germanic
gotini and osi are celts

The British Empire was the only real empire, of course. The Dutch, Spanish, French, Portuguese, and Russians simply had large, wealthy realms and many colonies, and
>mention
>italy

>simply had large, wealthy realms and many colonies
>not an empire

Nigga that is literally what an empire is