What do you think about the works of Jean-Michel Basquiat?

What do you think about the works of Jean-Michel Basquiat?

Also art general I guess

Leonardo Da Vinci's Greatest Hits

looks like great kindling

Basquiat was one of the greatest artists of the 20th century. He gave way to the neo-expressionist movement when most art at the time was highly minimal and conceptual.
Also, he places himself in the canon of masters by paying homage to the likes of Da Vinci, Van Gogh, Picasso, etc. He knew a great deal about art history even though he was not formally trained.

Okay, but his work is still shit.

What the fuck am i supposed to feel from this

>even though he was not formally trained.

no shit, huh?

The esoteric art elite crowd will claim that they just gained 10 IQ just by looking at it.

>he was not formally trained

Obviously.

Confusion and despair, the staples of modern art.

Also the staples of human life

Among other things. Also you forgot the sadfrog.jpg

nothing. Modern art is a meme for the elite to trade money.

Fun Fact: In order to become a famous artist while you are alive, you have to kill another famous artist.

Yes, no. Maybe.
I don't know.

interesting, because his work still looks rather conceptual. they have a collage or assemblage-like quality typical of neo-dada, but more personal considering they are hand-drawn

how?

>feel

this isn't the 19th century

what the fuck does it look like to you?

it's fit only for a trash can

dude highschool notebook doodles lmao

why?

It's a lot less conceptual than the super postmodern stuff that was popular. White paintings, minimalist sculptures of simple geometric shapes. I'm not saying that kinda stuff is bad, but it had run its course by the time Basquiat came along.
It was "in" to disregard past artists and create something that defied the definition of "art", and while Basquiat was an innovator, he looked to the past as well. Dadaism is partially what he was looking back, so I see the similarities. But he combined Dadaism with some traditional painting aesthetics.

Look at the two heads on the left and tell me they don't look dope

Heroin is a helluva drug

/trash/ here, we don't want it

add some furry tits and we'll talk

"Le anything I say is art because art is just a le subjective word and it doesn't mean anything even thought it does mean something but I will just le ignore that because I want money for rubbing poo in your face. Also I am le courageous genius because I make things that look bad where the normal trend is to make them look good"

- Marxists.

>[basquiat] makes things that look bad

That's an opinion. Unless you can back it up, I don't see any reason to be persuaded by your argument

This is not a debate. You are just abusing language to try and block out reality. Of course good things are good and bad things are bad.

Marxists can't be argued with because the just try to hide the truth to support their own morally bad behaviors. It is not a conversation, its a hostile attack of lying.

Firstly, I'm not a Marxist.
Secondly, I'm just trying to have a conversation about art. You don't need to attack my character and call me a Marxist.
Here, I'll start so that you can have something to reply to:
Basquiat innovated painting by incorporating poetry in his images. The aesthetic images, sounds, and meanings of the word add an entirely new dimension to visual art that had not been fully explored prior to Basquiat. This, along with his highly expressive line quality allowed him to connect with the viewer viscerally. His esoteric composisitions also draw the viewer in because his paintings act as riddles that can be worked out viewer.

>good things are good and bad things are bad
Not unless you can explain yourself. I believe his paintings are good and you believe his paintings are bad. Is one of us right? No. It depends on our personal standards for what art should be.

The worst thing about Jewish marxists is they think LYING MAKES THEM SMART. They are told by their mothers "you aw so schmat bernay". And they think that lying and cheating all over the place means they're intellectual when it is about as hard as flinging your poo

Ok now I know you're just baiting me cmon man

If you're not baiting (and even though I suspect you are, I hope you aren't any that you're trying to have an actual discussion), pleas expound your views. How am I lying??

you're lying if you think there is such thing as good or bad art

There is, but its personal and non-objective.

I enjoy his stuff, IMO there's not many street artists with a sensibility that works in the studio.